- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 148696, 14 pages
A PRISMA-Driven Systematic Review of Predictive Equations for Assessing Fat and Fat-Free Mass in Healthy Children and Adolescents Using Multicomponent Molecular Models as the Reference Method
1Exercise and Health Laboratory, CIPER, Fac Motricidade Humana, Univ Tecn Lisboa, 1499-002 Cruz Quebrada, Portugal
2Department of Pediatrics, CMRI Metabolic Research Program, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Received 27 January 2013; Revised 9 April 2013; Accepted 30 April 2013
Academic Editor: Diana Thomas
Copyright © 2013 Analiza M. Silva et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Low, M. C. Chin, and M. Deurenberg-Yap, “Review on epidemic of obesity,” Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 57–59, 2009.
- A. R. Behnke, “Physiologic studies pertaining to deep sea diving and aviation, especially in relation to the fat content and composition of the body: the Harvey lecture, March 19, 1942,” Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 561–585, 1942.
- D. Radley, P. J. Gately, C. B. Cooke, S. Carroll, B. Oldroyd, and J. G. Truscott, “Percentage fat in overweight and obese children: comparison of DXA and air displacement plethysmography,” Obesity Research, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 75–85, 2005.
- R. T. Withers, J. Laforgia, R. K. Pillans et al., “Comparisons of two-, three-, and four-compartment models of body composition analysis in men and women,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 238–245, 1998.
- S. J. Fomon, F. Haschke, E. E. Ziegler, and S. E. Nelson, “Body composition of reference children from birth to age 10 years,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 1169–1175, 1982.
- F. Haschke, “Body composition of adolescent males. Part I. Total body water in normal adolescent males. Part II. Body composition of the male reference adolescent,” Acta Paediatrica Scandinavica, vol. 307, pp. 1–23, 1983.
- Z. M. Wang, R. N. Pierson Jr., and S. B. Heymsfield, “The five-level model: a new approach to organizing body-composition research,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 19–28, 1992.
- Z. M. Wang, S. Heshka, R. N. Pierson Jr., and S. B. Heymsfield, “Systematic organization of body-composition methodology: an overview with emphasis on component-based methods,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 457–465, 1995.
- W. E. Siri, Ed., Body Composition from Fluid Spaces and Density: Analysis of Method, National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC, USA, 1961.
- T. G. Lohman, “Applicability of body composition techniques and constants for children and youths,” Exercise and sport sciences reviews, vol. 14, pp. 325–357, 1986.
- A. Pietrobelli, C. Formica, Z. Wang, and S. B. Heymsfield, “Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry body composition model: review of physical concepts,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 271, no. 6, pp. E941–E951, 1996.
- K. E. Friedl, J. P. DeLuca, L. J. Marchitelli, and J. A. Vogel, “Reliability of body-fat estimations from a four-compartment model by using density, body water, and bone mineral measurements,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 764–770, 1992.
- S. B. Heymsfield, Z. Wang, and R. T. Withers, “Multicomponent molecular-level models of body composition analysis,” in Human Body Composition, A. F. Roche, S. B. Heymsfield, and T. G. Lohman, Eds., pp. 129–148, Human Kinetics, Champaign, Ill, USA, 1996.
- R. N. Baumgartner, S. B. Heymsfield, S. Lichtman, J. Wang, and R. N. Pierson Jr., “Body composition in elderly people: effect of criterion estimates on predictive equations,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 1345–1353, 1991.
- A. Selinger, The Body as a Three Component System, University of Ilinois, Urbana, Ill, USA, 1977.
- Z. M. Wang, F. X. Pi-Sunyer, D. P. Kotler et al., “Multicomponent methods: evaluation of new and traditional soft tissue mineral models by in vivo neutron activation analysis,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 76, no. 5, pp. 968–974, 2002.
- Z. M. Wang, P. Deurenberg, S. S. Guo et al., “Six-compartment body composition model: inter-method comparisons of total body fat measurement,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 329–337, 1998.
- Z. R. Cordero-MacIntyre, W. Peters, C. R. Libanati et al., “Reproducibility of DXA in obese women,” Journal of Clinical Densitometry, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 35–44, 2002.
- L. Genton, V. L. Karsegard, S. Zawadynski et al., “Comparison of body weight and composition measured by two different dual energy X-ray absorptiometry devices and three acquisition modes in obese women,” Clinical Nutrition, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 428–437, 2006.
- K. Hind, B. Oldroyd, and J. G. Truscott, “In vivo precision of the GE Lunar iDXA densitometer for the measurement of total body composition and fat distribution in adults,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 140–142, 2011.
- M. P. Rothney, F. P. Martin, Y. Xia et al., “Precision of GE lunar iDXA for the measurement of total and regional body composition in nonobese adults,” Journal of Clinical Densitometry, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 399–404, 2012.
- A. M. Silva, C. S. Minderico, P. J. Teixeira, A. Pietrobelli, and L. B. Sardinha, “Body fat measurement in adolescent athletes: multicompartment molecular model comparison,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 60, no. 8, pp. 955–964, 2006.
- A. B. Sopher, J. C. Thornton, J. Wang, R. N. Pierson Jr., S. B. Heymsfield, and M. Horlick, “Measurement of percentage of body fat in 411 children and adolescents: a comparison of dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry with a four-compartment model,” Pediatrics, vol. 113, no. 5 I, pp. 1285–1290, 2004.
- G. E. van der Ploeg, R. T. Withers, and J. Laforgia, “Percent body fat via DEXA: comparison with a four-compartment model,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 499–506, 2003.
- M. Visser, T. Fuerst, T. Lang, L. Salamone, and T. B. Harris, “Validity of fan-beam dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry for measuring fat- free mass and leg muscle mass,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 1513–1520, 1999.
- J. Wang, J. C. Thornton, M. Horlick et al., “Dual X-ray absorptiometry in pediatric studies: changing scan modes alters bone and body composition measurements,” Journal of Clinical Densitometry, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 135–141, 1999.
- “Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,” NHANES, 1999-2000 Public Data Release 13 File Documentation, 1999, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/dxa/dxa_techdoc.pdf.
- D. A. Schoeller, F. A. Tylavsky, D. J. Baer et al., “QDR 4500A dual-energy X-ray absorptiometer underestimates fat mass in comparison with criterion methods in adults,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 1018–1025, 2005.
- Z. Wang, W. Shen, R. T. Withers, and S. B. Heymsfield, “Multicomponent molecular-level models of body composition analysis,” in Human Body Composition, S. B. Heymsfield, T. G. Lohman, Z. Wang, and S. Going, Eds., pp. 161–176, Human Kinetics, Champaign, Ill, USA, 2005.
- S. B. Heymsfield, Z. Wang, R. N. Baumgartner, and R. Ross, “Human body composition: advances in models and methods,” Annual Review of Nutrition, vol. 17, pp. 527–558, 1997.
- J. Brozek, F. Grande, J. T. Anderson, and A. Keys, “Densitometric analysis of body composition: revision of some quantitative assumptions,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 110, pp. 113–140, 1963.
- S. B. Heymsfield, M. Waki, J. Kehayias et al., “Chemical and elemental analysis of humans in vivo using improved body composition models,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 261, no. 2, pp. E190–E198, 1991.
- J. C. K. Wells, J. E. Williams, S. Chomtho et al., “Pediatric reference data for lean tissue properties: density and hydration from age 5 to 20 y,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 610–618, 2010.
- R. A. Boileau, T. G. Lohman, M. H. Slaughter, T. E. Ball, S. B. Going, and M. K. Hendrix, “Hydration of the fat-free body in children during maturation,” Human Biology, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 651–666, 1984.
- T. Lohman, “Assessment of body composition in children,” Pediatric Exercise Science, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 19–30, 1989.
- T. G. Lohman, “Research progress in validation of laboratory methods of assessing body composition,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 596–605, 1984.
- D. A. Schoeller, E. Van Santen, and D. W. Peterson, “Total body water measurement in humans with 18O and 2H labeled water,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 2686–2693, 1980.
- S. S. Sun and W. C. Chumlea, “Statistical methods,” in Human Body Composition, S. B. Heymsfield, T. G. Lohman, Z. Wang, and S. B. Going, Eds., pp. 151–160, Human Kinetics, Champaign, Ill, USA, 2005.
- C. L. Mallows, “Some comments on Cp,” Technometrics, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 661–675, 1973.
- J. Fleiss, The Design of Clinical Experiments, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1986.
- D. B. Holiday, J. E. Ballard, and B. C. McKeown, “PRESS-related statistics: regression tools for cross-validation and case diagnostics,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 612–620, 1995.
- M. Stone, “Cross-validatory choice and assessment of statistical predictions,” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society B, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 111–147, 1974.
- L. I. K. Lin, “A concordance correlation coefficient to evaluate reproducibility,” Biometrics, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 255–268, 1989.
- J. M. Bland and D. G. Altman, “Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two methods of clinical measurement,” The Lancet, vol. 1, no. 8476, pp. 307–310, 1986.
- E. M. Evans, D. A. Rowe, M. M. Misic, B. M. Prior, and S. A. Arngrímsson, “Skinfold prediction equation for athletes developed using a four-component model,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 2006–2011, 2005.
- A. Liberati, D. G. Altman, J. Tetzlaff et al., “The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: explanation and elaboration,” PLoS Medicine, vol. 6, no. 7, Article ID e1000100, 2009.
- M. H. Slaughter, T. G. Lohman, R. A. Boileau et al., “Skinfold equations for estimations of body fatness in children and youth,” Human Biology, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 709–723, 1988.
- C. V. Dezenberg, T. R. Nagy, B. A. Gower, R. Johnson, and M. I. Goran, “Predicting body composition from anthropometry in pre-adolescent children,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 253–259, 1999.
- K. J. Ellis, “Body composition of a young, multiethnic, male population,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 1323–1331, 1997.
- K. J. Ellis, S. A. Abrams, and W. W. Wong, “Body composition of a young, multiethnic female population,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 724–731, 1997.
- M. I. Goran, P. Driscoll, R. Johnson, T. R. Nagy, and G. Hunter, “Cross-calibration of body-composition techniques against dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry in young children,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 299–305, 1996.
- D. J. Hoffman, T. Toro-Ramos, A. L. Sawaya, S. B. Roberts, and P. Rondo, “Estimating total body fat using a skinfold prediction equation in Brazilian children,” Annals of Human Biology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 156–160, 2012.
- T. T. K. Huang, M. P. Watkins, and M. I. Goran, “Predicting total body fat from anthropometry in Latino children,” Obesity Research, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 1192–1199, 2003.
- G. A. Bray, J. P. DeLany, J. Volaufova, D. W. Harsha, and C. Champagne, “Prediction of body fat in 12-y-old African American and white children: evaluation of methods,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 76, no. 5, pp. 980–990, 2002.
- N. A. Flavel, T. S. Olds, J. D. Buckley, M. T. Haren, and J. Petkov, “Anthropometric estimates of total and regional body fat in children aged 6–17 years,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 101, no. 12, pp. 1253–1259, 2012.
- J. L. Clasey, K. D. Bradley, J. W. Bradley, D. E. Long, and J. R. Griffith, “A new BIA equation estimating the body composition of young children,” Obesity, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 1813–1817, 2011.
- A. de Lorenzo, S. P. Sorge, L. Iacopino, A. Andreoli, P. P. de Luca, and G. F. Sasso, “Fat-free mass by bioelectrical impedance versus dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA),” Applied Radiation and Isotopes, vol. 49, no. 5-6, pp. 739–741, 1998.
- J. A. Morrison, S. S. Guo, B. Specker, W. C. Chumlea, S. Z. Yanovski, and J. A. Yanovski, “Assessing the body composition of 6-17-year-old Black and White girls in field studies,” The American Journal of Human Biology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 249–254, 2001.
- L. B. Houtkooper, S. B. Going, T. G. Lohman, A. F. Roche, and M. van Loan, “Bioelectrical impedance estimation of fat-free body mass in children and youth: a cross-validation study,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 366–373, 1992.
- R. J. Toombs, G. Ducher, J. A. Shepherd, and M. J. de Souza, “The impact of recent technological advances on the trueness and precision of DXA to assess body composition,” Obesity, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 30–39, 2012.
- P. Tothill, A. Avenell, and D. M. Reid, “Precision and accuracy of measurements of whole-body bone mineral: comparisons between Hologic, Lunar and Norland dual-energy X-ray absorptiometers,” The British Journal of Radiology, vol. 67, no. 804, pp. 1210–1217, 1994.
- F. A. Tylavsky, T. Lohman, B. A. Blunt et al., “QDR 4500A DXA overestimates fat-free mass compared with criterion methods,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 959–965, 2003.
- S. S. Sun, W. C. Chumlea, S. B. Heymsfield et al., “Development of bioelectrical impedance analysis prediction equations for body composition with the use of a multicomponent model for use in epidemiologic surveys,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 331–340, 2003.
- M. Horlick, S. M. Arpadi, J. Bethel et al., “Bioelectrical impedance analysis models for prediction of total body water and fat-free mass in healthy and HIV-infected children and adolescents,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 76, no. 5, pp. 991–999, 2002.
- L. B. Houtkooper, T. G. Lohman, S. B. Going, and M. C. Hall, “Validity of bioelectric impedance for body composition assessment in children,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 814–821, 1989.
- R. A. Boileau, T. G. Lohman, and M. H. Slaughter, “Exercise and body composition of children and youth,” Scandinavian Journal of Sports Sciences, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 17–27, 1985.