- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 151597, 7 pages
Randomized Controlled Pilot Study Testing Use of Smartphone Technology for Obesity Treatment
1Johns Hopkins University Schools of Nursing, Medicine and Public Health, 525 N. Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
2Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing and Medicine, 525 N. Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
3Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and Nursing, 301 Building Suite 2422, 4940 Eastern Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
4Institute for Clinical and Translational Research, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 1820 Lancaster Street Suite 300, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Received 4 October 2013; Accepted 22 November 2013
Academic Editor: Michel M. Murr
Copyright © 2013 Jerilyn K. Allen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. M. Flegal, D. Carroll, B. K. Kit, and C. L. Ogden, “Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among US adults, 1999–2010,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 307, no. 5, pp. 491–497, 2012.
- National Institutes of Health, “Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults: the evidence report,” Tech. Rep. 98-4083, NIH Publication, Washington, DC, USA, 1998.
- S. M. Grundy, B. Hansen, S. C. Smith Jr., J. I. Cleeman, and R. A. Kahn, “Clinical management of metabolic syndrome: report of the American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute/American Diabetes Association conference on scientific issues related to management,” Circulation, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. 551–556, 2004.
- B. H. Goodpaster, J. P. DeLany, A. D. Otto et al., “Effects of diet and physical activity interventions on weight loss and cardiometabolic risk factors in severely obese adults: a randomized trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 304, no. 16, pp. 1795–1802, 2010.
- L. J. Appel, C. M. Champagne, D. W. Harsha et al., “Effects of comprehensive lifestyle modification on blood pressure control: main results of the PREMIER clinical trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 289, no. 16, pp. 2083–2093, 2003.
- K. J. Stewart, A. C. Bacher, K. L. Turner et al., “Effect of exercise on blood pressure in older persons: a randomized controlled trial,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 165, no. 7, pp. 756–762, 2005.
- S. Krishna, S. A. Boren, and E. A. Balas, “Healthcare via cell phones: a systematic review,” Telemedicine and e-Health, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 231–240, 2009.
- H. Cole-Lewis and T. Kershaw, “Text messaging as a tool for behavior change in disease prevention and management,” Epidemiologic Reviews, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 56–69, 2010.
- S. N. Blair, W. L. Haskell, P. Ho, et al., “Assessment of habitual physical activity by a seven-day recall in a community survey and controlled experiments,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 122, no. 5, pp. 794–804, 1985.
- J. F. Sallis, W. L. Haskell, P. D. Wood, et al., “Physical activity assessment methodology in the five-city project,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 121, no. 1, pp. 91–106, 1985.
- J. K. Allen, C. R. D. Himmelfarb, S. L. Szanton, L. Bone, M. N. Hill, and D. M. Levine, “COACH trial: a randomized controlled trial of nurse practitioner/community health worker cardiovascular disease risk reduction in urban community health centers: rationale and design,” Contemporary Clinical Trials, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 403–411, 2011.
- L. J. Appel, J. M. Clark, H. Yeh et al., “Comparative effectiveness of weight-loss interventions in clinical practice,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 365, no. 21, pp. 1959–1968, 2011.
- National Research Council, Dietary Reference Intakes: The Essential Guide to Nutrient Requirements, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2006.