- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 204094, 4 pages
Does Adipose Tissue Thermogenesis Play a Role in Metabolic Health?
1Metabolism Unit, Shriners Hospitals for Children, Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch,
Galveston, TX 77550, USA
2Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77550, USA
3Department of Internal Medicine, Sealy Center on Aging, Institute for Translational Sciences, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77550, USA
4Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Harokopio University, Athens, Greece
Received 16 February 2013; Accepted 28 March 2013
Academic Editor: Manisha S. Chandalia
Copyright © 2013 Craig Porter et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Larsen, I. Ara, R. Rabøl et al., “Are substrate use during exercise and mitochondrial respiratory capacity decreased in arm and leg muscle in type 2 diabetes?” Diabetologia, vol. 52, no. 7, pp. 1400–1408, 2009.
- R. Rabøl, S. Larsen, P. Højberg, et al., “Regional anatomic differences in skeletal muscle mitochondrial respiration in type 2 diabetes and obesity,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 95, pp. 857–863, 2010.
- C. S. Fox, J. M. Massaro, U. Hoffmann et al., “Abdominal visceral and subcutaneous adipose tissue compartments: association with metabolic risk factors in the framingham heart study,” Circulation, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 39–48, 2007.
- J. Nedergaard, T. Bengtsson, and B. Cannon, “Unexpected evidence for active brown adipose tissue in adult humans,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 293, no. 2, pp. E444–E452, 2007.
- M. Saito, Y. Okamatsu-Ogura, M. Matsushita et al., “High incidence of metabolically active brown adipose tissue in healthy adult humans: effects of cold exposure and adiposity,” Diabetes, vol. 58, no. 7, pp. 1526–1531, 2009.
- W. D. van Marken Lichtenbelt, J. W. Vanhommerig, N. M. Smulders et al., “Cold-activated brown adipose tissue in healthy men,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 360, no. 15, pp. 1500–1508, 2009.
- K. A. Virtanen, M. E. Lidell, J. Orava et al., “Functional brown adipose tissue in healthy adults,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 360, no. 15, pp. 1518–1525, 2009.
- J. Wu, P. Boström, L. Sparks, et al., “Beige adipocytes are a distinct type of thermogenic fat cell in mouse and human,” Cell, vol. 150, pp. 366–376, 2012.
- P. Mitchell, “Coupling of phosphorylation to electron and hydrogen transfer by a chemi-osmotic type of mechanism,” Nature, vol. 191, no. 4784, pp. 144–148, 1961.
- A. Jacobsson, M. Muhleisen, B. Cannon, and J. Nedergaard, “The uncoupling protein thermogenin during acclimation: indications for pretranslational control,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 267, no. 4, pp. R999–1007, 1994.
- J. Nedergaard, T. Bengtsson, and B. Cannon, “Three years with adult human brown adipose tissue,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1212, pp. E20–E36, 2010.
- J. Orava, P. Nuutila, M. E. Lidell et al., “Different metabolic responses of human brown adipose tissue to activation by cold and insulin,” Cell Metabolism, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 272–279, 2011.
- A. Bartelt, O. T. Bruns, R. Reimer et al., “Brown adipose tissue activity controls triglyceride clearance,” Nature Medicine, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 200–206, 2011.
- B. Cannon and J. Nedergaard, “Nonshivering thermogenesis and its adequate measurement in metabolic studies,” Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 214, no. 2, pp. 242–253, 2011.
- J. A. Timmons, K. Wennmalm, O. Larsson et al., “Myogenic gene expression signature establishes that brown and white adipocytes originate from distinct cell lineages,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 104, no. 11, pp. 4401–4406, 2007.
- I. G. Shabalina, M. Ost, N. Petrovic, M. Vrbacky, J. Nedergaard, and B. Cannon, “Uncoupling protein-1 is not leaky,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1797, no. 6-7, pp. 773–784, 2010.
- J. Nedergaard and B. Cannon, “UCP1 mRNA does not produce heat,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, 2013.
- C. Porter and B. Wall, “Skeletal muscle mitochondrial function: is it quality or quantity that makes the difference in insulin resistance?” The Journal of Physiology, vol. 590, pp. 5935–5936, 2012.
- M. Picard, D. Ritchie, K. J. Wright et al., “Mitochondrial functional impairment with aging is exaggerated in isolated mitochondria compared to permeabilized myofibers,” Aging Cell, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1032–1046, 2010.
- M. Picard, T. Taivassalo, G. Gouspillou, and R. T. Hepple, “Mitochondria: isolation, structure and function,” The Journal of Physiology, vol. 589, pp. 4413–4421, 2011.
- M. Picard, T. Taivassalo, D. Ritchie et al., “Mitochondrial structure and function are disrupted by standard Isolation methods,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 3, Article ID e18317, 2011.
- J. Nedergaard and B. Cannon, “The changed metabolic world with human brown adipose tissue: therapeutic visions,” Cell Metabolism, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 268–272, 2010.
- P. Hallgren, S. Korsback, and L. Sjostrom, “Measurements of adipose tissue respiration in a closed chamber using an oxygen sensor: methodological considerations,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 996–1005, 1986.
- R. Kraunsøe, R. Boushel, C. N. Hansen et al., “Mitochondrial respiration in subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissue from patients with morbid obesity,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 588, no. 12, pp. 2023–2032, 2010.
- Y. M. Yu, R. G. Tompkins, C. M. Ryan, and V. R. Young, “The metabolic basis of the increase in energy expenditure in severely burned patients,” Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 160–168, 1999.
- K. Yo, Y. Yu, G. Zhao, et al., “Brown adipose tissue and its modulation by a mitochondria-targeted peptide in rat burn injury induced hypermetabolism,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 304, no. 4, pp. E331–E341, 2012.
- Q. Zhang, B. Ma, A. J. Fischman, R. G. Tompkins, and E. A. Carter, “Increased uncoupling protein 1 mRNA expression in mice brown adipose tissue after burn injury,” Journal of Burn Care and Research, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 358–362, 2008.
- L. Sidossis, “Brown adipose tissue: questions and (no) answers,” Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition & Metabolic Care, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 521–522, 2012.