- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 245683, 8 pages
Vagal Blocking Improves Glycemic Control and Elevated Blood Pressure in Obese Subjects with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
1Brigham and Women’s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
2Adelaide Bariatric Center, Flinders Private Hospital, Suite 502/Level 5, Bedford Park, SA, 5041, Australia
3Instituto Nacional de la Nutricion, Salvador Zubiran (INNSZ), Vasco de Quiroga 15, Tlalpan, 1400 Mexico City, DF, Mexico
4Center for Obesity, St. Olavs Hospital, Olav Kyrres Gate 6, 7006 Trondheim, Norway
5Division of Gastroenterology, University Hospital Basel, 4031 Basel, Switzerland
6Institute of Weight Control, 495 Windsor Road, Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153, Australia
7EnteroMedics Inc., 2800 Patton Road, St. Paul, MN 55113, USA
8University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota Veterans’ Administration Medical Center, One Veterans’ Drive, Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA
Received 21 March 2013; Accepted 15 May 2013
Academic Editor: Francesco Saverio Papadia
Copyright © 2013 S. Shikora et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Wild, G. Roglic, A. Green, R. Sicree, and H. King, “Global prevalence of diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 1047–1053, 2004.
- G. Danaei, M. M. Finucane, Y. Lu et al., “National, regional, and global trends in fasting plasma glucose and diabetes prevalence since 1980: systematic analysis of health examination surveys and epidemiological studies with 370 country-years and 2·7 million participants,” The Lancet, vol. 378, no. 9785, pp. 31–40, 2011.
- C. A. Maggio and F. X. Pi-Sunyer, “The prevention and treatment of obesity: application to type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1744–1766, 1997.
- A. Must, J. Spadano, E. H. Coakley, A. E. Field, G. Colditz, and W. H. Dietz, “The disease burden associated with overweight and obesity,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 282, no. 16, pp. 1523–1529, 1999.
- K. Fujioka, “Benefits of moderate weight loss in patients with type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 186–194, 2010.
- G. Mingrone, S. Panunzi, A. De Gaetano, C. Guidone, A. Iaconelli, L. Leccesi, et al., “Bariatric surgery versus conventional medical therapy for type 2 diabetes,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 366, pp. 1577–1585, 2012.
- P. R. Schauer, S. R. Kashyap, K. Wolski, S. A. Brethauer, J. P. Kirwan, C. E. Pothier, et al., “Bariatric surgery versus intensive medical therapy in obese patients with diabetes,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 366, pp. 1567–1576, 2012.
- A. C. Guyton and J. E. Hall, Textbook of Medical Physiology, W.B. Saunders Company, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 10th edition, 2000.
- J. V. Pardo, S. A. Sheikh, G. C. Schwindt et al., “Chronic vagus nerve stimulation for treatment-resistant depression decreases resting ventromedial prefrontal glucose metabolism,” NeuroImage, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 879–889, 2008.
- J. G. Kral, W. Paez, and B. M. Wolfe, “Vagal nerve function in obesity: therapeutic implications,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 1995–2006, 2009.
- M. Camilleri, J. Toouli, M. F. Herrera, L. Kow, J. P. Pantoja, C. J. Billington, et al., “Selection of electrical algorithms to treat obesity with intermittent vagal block using an implantable medical device,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 5, pp. 224–230, 2009.
- M. Camilleri, J. Toouli, M. F. Herrera et al., “Intra-abdominal vagal blocking (VBLOC therapy): clinical results with a new implantable medical device,” Surgery, vol. 143, no. 6, pp. 723–731, 2008.
- K. S. Tweden, M. G. Sarr, M. D. Bierk, M. Camilleri, M. L. Kendrick, M. B. Knudson, et al., “Vagal blocking for obesity control (VBLOC): studies of pancreatic and gastric function and safety in a porcine model,” Surgery For Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 301–302, 2006.
- M. F. Herrera, R. Brancatisano, U. Keller, B. Kulseng, J. Toouli, A. Brancatisano, et al., “Intermittent vagal blockade with an implantable device improves glycemic control in obese subjects with type 2 diabetes,” Surgery For Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 5, Supplement, no. 3, pp. S48–S49, 2009.
- M. F. Herrera, L. Kow, J. P. Pantoja, M. B. Knudson, K. S. Tweden, R. R. Wilson, et al., “VBLOC and improvements in co-morbidities in obese subjects during weight loss,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 19, pp. 983–984, 2009.
- K. S. Tweden, M. Anvari, M. D. Bierk, C. J. Billington, M. Camilleri, C. N. Honda, et al., “Vagal blocking for obesity control (VBLOC): concordance of effects of very high frequency vagal blocking currents at the neural and organ levels using two pre-clinical models,” Gastroenterology, vol. 130, Supplement 2, p. 148, 2006.
- T. G. Pickering, J. E. Hall, L. J. Appel et al., “Recommendations for blood pressure measurement in humans and experimental animals: part 1: blood pressure measurement in humans,” Circulation, vol. 111, no. 5, pp. 697–716, 2005.
- “The seventh report of the Joint National Committee on the prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure (JNC-7),” Publication no. 03-5233, National Institutes of Health (US), Bethesda, Md, USA, 2003.
- G. A. Bray, C. Bouchard, T. S. Church et al., “Is it time to change the way we report and discuss weight loss?” Obesity, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 619–621, 2009.
- C. D. Fryar, M. D. Carroll, and C. L. Ogden, “Prevalence of overweight and obesity among adults: United States, trends 1960–1962 through 2009-2010 (Health E-Stat),” Hyattsville (MD): National Center for Health Statistics (US), 2012, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/obese/obese99.htm.
- H. B. Hubert, M. Feinleib, P. M. McNamara, and W. P. Castelli, “Obesity as an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease: a 26-year follow-up of participants in the Framingham Heart Study,” Circulation, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 968–977, 1983.
- E. A. Lew and L. Garfinkel, “Variations in mortality by weight among 750,000 men and women,” Journal of Chronic Diseases, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 563–576, 1979.
- J. B. Dixon, P. E. O'Brien, J. Playfair et al., “Adjustable gastric banding and conventional therapy for type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 299, no. 3, pp. 316–323, 2008.
- P. R. Schauer, B. Burguera, S. Ikramuddin et al., “Effect of laparoscopic Roux-En Y gastric bypass on type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 238, no. 4, pp. 467–485, 2003.
- R. R. Wing, J. L. Bahnson, G. A. Bray et al., “Long-term effects of a lifestyle intervention on weight and cardiovascular risk factors in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus: four-year results of the look AHEAD trial,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 170, no. 17, pp. 1566–1575, 2010.
- K. Fujioka, T. B. Seaton, E. Rowe et al., “Weight loss with sibutramine improves glycaemic control and other metabolic parameters in obese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 175–187, 2000.
- K. A. Elder and B. M. Wolfe, “Bariatric surgery: a review of procedures and outcomes,” Gastroenterology, vol. 132, no. 6, pp. 2253–2271, 2007.
- N. Scopinaro, F. Papadia, G. Camerini, G. Marinari, D. Civalleri, and A. G. Franco, “A comparison of a personal series of biliopancreatic diversion and literature data on gastric bypass help to explain the mechanisms of resolution of type 2 diabetes by the two operations,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 1035–1038, 2008.
- J. Korner, M. Bessler, W. Inabnet, C. Taveras, and J. J. Holst, “Exaggerated glucagon-like peptide-1 and blunted glucose-dependent insulinotropic peptide secretion are associated with Roux-en-Y gastric bypass but not adjustable gastric banding,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 597–601, 2007.
- A. Patriti, E. Facchiano, A. Sanna, N. Gullà, and A. Donini, “The enteroinsular axis and the recovery from type 2 diabetes after bariatric surgery,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 840–848, 2004.
- M. Bose, B. Oliván, J. Teixeira, F. X. Pi-Sunyer, and B. Laferrère, “Do incretins play a role in the remission of type 2 diabetes after gastric bypass surgery: what are the evidence?” Obesity Surgery, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 217–229, 2009.
- C. Bernal-Mizrachi, L. Xiaozhong, L. Yin et al., “An afferent vagal nerve pathway links hepatic PPARα activation to glucocorticoid-induced insulin resistance and hypertension,” Cell Metabolism, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 91–102, 2007.
- S. A. Shikora, R. Bergenstal, M. Bessler et al., “Implantable gastric stimulation for the treatment of clinically severe obesity: results of the SHAPE trial,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 31–37, 2009.
- M. L. Dansinger, A. Tatsioni, J. B. Wong, M. Chung, and E. M. Balk, “Meta-analysis: the effect of dietary counseling for weight loss,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 147, no. 1, pp. 41–50, 2007.