- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 291546, 11 pages
Obesity as a Major Risk Factor for Cancer
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Human Oncology, Section of Internal Medicine and Oncology, University of Bari “Aldo Moro”, School of Medicine, Policlinico, Piazza Giulio Cesare 11, 70124 Bari, Italy
Received 18 December 2012; Revised 17 July 2013; Accepted 25 July 2013
Academic Editor: Francesco Saverio Papadia
Copyright © 2013 Giovanni De Pergola and Franco Silvestris. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [46 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Mauro Zamboni, Andrea P. Rossi, Francesco Fantin, Giulia Zamboni, Salvatore Chirumbolo, Elena Zoico, and Gloria Mazzali, “Adipose tissue, diet and aging,” Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, 2013.
- Mervi T. Hyvönen, and Kirsty L. Spalding, “Maintenance of white adipose tissue in man,” The International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology, 2014.
- Hichem Bouguerra, Hajer Guissouma, Soumaya Labidi, Nejla Stambouli, Raja Marrakchi, Salem Chouaib, Amel Ben Ammar Elgaaied, Hammouda Boussen, and Asma Gati, “Breast Cancer in Tunisia: Association of Body Mass Index with Histopathological Aspects of Tumors,” Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 15, no. 16, pp. 6805–6810, 2014.
- Aytekin Tokmak, Mahmut Kuntay Kokanali, Ali Irfan Guzel, Aydan Kara, Hasan Onur Topcu, and Sabri Cavkaytar, “Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and Risk of Endometrial Cancer: a Mini-Review,” Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 15, no. 17, pp. 7011–7014, 2014.
- Ali Serdar Gözen, Yigit Akin, Ender Özden, Mutlu Ates, Marcel Hruza, and Jens Rassweiler, “Impact of body mass index on outcomes of laparoscopic radical prostatectomy with long-term follow-up,” Scandinavian Journal of Urology, pp. 1–7, 2014.
- Weiqiang Zhou, Yuwang Tian, Hangjun Gong, Shanchun Guo, and Chengyu Luo, “Oncogenic role and therapeutic target of leptin signaling in colorectal cancer,” Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Targets, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 961–971, 2014.
- Anna M. Zawadzka, Birgit Schilling, Jason M. Held, Alexandria K. Sahu, Michael P. Cusack, Penelope M. Drake, Susan J. Fisher, and Bradford W. Gibson, “Variation and quantification among a target set of phosphopeptides in human plasma by multiple reaction monitoring and SWATH-MS2 data-independent acquisition,” Electrophoresis, 2014.
- Scott Weichenthal, Jane A. Hoppin, and Francois Reeves, “Obesity and the Cardiovascular Health Effects of Fine Particulate Air Pollution,” Obesity, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1580–1589, 2014.
- Eun Jung Jang, Hyo Kyeong Kim, Hana Jeong, Ye Seul Lee, Mi Gyeong Jeong, Su Jung Bae, Sanghee Kim, Sang Kook Lee, and Eun Sook Hwang, “Anti-Adipogenic Activity of the Naturally Occurring Phenanthroindolizidine Alkaloid Antofine via Direct Suppression of PPAR gamma Expression,” Chemistry & Biodiversity, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 962–969, 2014.
- Grzegorz Słomian, Elżbieta Świętochowska, Jolanta Malinowska-Borowska, Sławomir Kasperczyk, Anna Rogalska, and Przemysław Nowak, “Association between chemotherapy and plasma adipokines in patients with colorectal cancer,” Pharmacological Reports, 2014.
- Matthew G. K. Benesch, Xiaoyun Tang, Tatsuo Maeda, Akira Ohhata, Yuan Y. Zhao, Bernard P. C. Kok, Jay Dewald, Mary Hitt, Jonathan M. Curtis, Todd P. W. McMullen, and David N. Brindley, “Inhibition of autotaxin delays breast tumor growth and lung metastasis in mice,” Faseb Journal, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 2655–2666, 2014.
- Ana I. PÃ©rez-HernÃ¡ndez, Victoria CatalÃ¡n, Javier GÃ³mez-Ambrosi, Amaia RodrÃguez, and Gema FrÃ¼hbeck, “Mechanisms Linking Excess Adiposity and Carcinogenesis Promotion,” Frontiers in Endocrinology, vol. 5, 2014.
- Fei Li, Changtao Jiang, Michele C. Larsen, Justin Bushkofsky, Kristopher W. Krausz, Ting Wang, Colin R. Jefcoate, and Frank J. Gonzalez, “Lipidomics Reveals a Link between CYP1B1 and SCD1 in Promoting Obesity,” Journal of Proteome Research, pp. 140410142049008, 2014.
- Hyojung Paik, Hyoung-Sam Heo, Hyo-jeong Ban, and Seong Beom Cho, “Unraveling human protein interaction networks underlying co-occurrences of diseases and pathological conditions,” Journal of Translational Medicine, vol. 12, 2014.
- Monica Colitti, and Stefano Grasso, “Nutraceuticals and regulation of adipocyte life: Premises or promises,” BioFactors, 2014.
- Chelsea Catsburg, Victoria A. Kirsh, Colin L. Soskolne, Nancy Kreiger, Erin Bruce, Thi Ho, Scott T. Leatherdale, and Thomas E. Rohan, “Associations between anthropometric characteristics, physical activity, and breast cancer risk in a Canadian cohort,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 2014.
- L. Zelek, and J. -P. Spano, “Obésité et cancers : de la prévention primaire à la prévention tertiaire,” Obésité, 2014.
- Ugur Uyeturk, Hasmet Sarıcı, Buket Kın Tekce, Muzaffer Eroglu, Eray Kemahlı, Ummugul Uyeturk, and Adnan Gucuk, “Serum omentin level in patients with prostate cancer,” Medical Oncology, vol. 31, no. 4, 2014.
- Matthew GK Benesch, Yi M Ko, Todd PW McMullen, and David N Brindley, “Autotaxin in the crosshairs: Taking aim at cancer and other inflammatory conditions,” FEBS Letters, 2014.
- Socrates Villegas-Comonfort, Rocio Castillo-Sanchez, Nathalia Serna-Marquez, Pedro Cortes-Reynosa, and Eduardo Perez Salazar, “Arachidonic acid promotes migration and invasion through a PI3K/Akt-dependent pathway in MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells,” Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids (PLEFA), 2014.
- Jason F. Ohlstein, Amy L. Strong, John A. McLachlan, Jeffrey M. Gimble, Matthew E. Burow, and Bruce A. Bunnell, “Bisphenol A enhances adipogenic differentiation of human adipose stromal/stem cells,” Journal Of Molecular Endocrinology, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 345–353, 2014.
- Miao Qin, Lan-Qing Ma, Juan Tan, Ya-Rong Chen, Liang-Ru Zhu, Rong Lin, Wei-Ling Hu, Jing-Nan Li, Kun-He Zhang, Yan Wang, Jian-Sheng Li, Bing Xiao, Hao-Yan Chen, Ying-Xuan Chen, and Jing-Yuan Fang, “Risk factors for colorectal neoplasms based on colonoscopy and pathological diagnoses of Chinese citizens: a multicenter, case-control study,” International Journal of Colorectal Disease, 2014.
- Ethan Bortniker, and Joseph C. Anderson, “Do Recent Epidemiologic Observations Impact Who and How We Should Screen for CRC?,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, 2014.
- M.-F. Avril, P. Bahadoran, O. Cabaret, O. Caron, A. de la Fouchardière, F. Demenais, L. Desjardins, T. Frébourg, P. Hammel, M.-T. Leccia, F. Lesueur, E. Mahé, L. Martin, E. Maubec, A. Remenieras, S. Richard, C. Robert, N. Soufir, D. Stoppa-Lyonnet, L. Thomas, P. Vabres, and B. Bressac- de Paillerets, “Recommandations pour le diagnostic de prédisposition génétique au mélanome cutané et pour la prise en charge des personnes à risque,” Annales de Dermatologie et de Vénéréologie, 2014.
- Su-Chen Lee, Shih-Meng Tsai, Ming-Feng Hou, Li-Ying Tien, Szu-Hsien Wu, Lisa Ann Hou, Joseph M Tsai, and Li-Yu Tsai, “Increased Igf-I/Igfbp-3 Ratios in Postmenopausal Taiwanese with Breast Cancer, Irrespective of Er and Pr Statuses and Her2 Expression in a Case-Control Study,” Journal of Clinical Laboratory Analysis, 2014.
- Juan Carlos Souto, Georgia Pena, Andrey Ziyatdinov, Alfonso Buil, Sonia Lopez, Jordi Fontcuberta, and Jose Manuel Soria, “A genomewide study of body mass index and its genetic correlation with thromboembolic risk,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 112, no. 5, pp. 1036–1043, 2014.
- Annunziata D'Alessandro, and Giovanni De Pergola, “Mediterranean Diet Pyramid: A Proposal for Italian People,” Nutrients, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 4302–4316, 2014.
- Joanna Kruk, “Overweight, Obesity, Oxidative Stress and the Risk of Breast Cancer,” Asian Pacific Journal Of Cancer Prevention, vol. 15, no. 22, pp. 9579–9586, 2014.
- Cheryl D. Toner, “Communicating clinical research to reduce cancer risk through diet: Walnuts as a case example,” Nutrition Research and Practice, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 347, 2014.
- Buenaventura Brito Díaz, Itahisa Marcelino Rodríguez, Delia Almeida González, María del Cristo Rodríguez Pérez, and Antonio Cabrera de León, “An Overview of Leptin and the Th1/Th2 Balance,” Open Journal of Immunology, vol. 04, no. 02, pp. 42–50, 2014.
- Ping-Ping Wang, Xiao-Yan He, Robin Wang, Zengfang Wang, and Yan-Gang Wang, “High Leptin Level is an Independent Risk Factor of Endometrial Cancer: A Meta-Analysis,” Cellular Physiology And Biochemistry, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 1477–1484, 2014.
- Nan Jiang, Rongtong Sun, and Qing Sun, “Leptin signaling molecular actions and drug target in hepatocellular carcinoma,” Drug Design Development and Therapy, vol. 8, pp. 2295–2302, 2014.
- Ersilia Nigro, Olga Scudiero, Maria Ludovica Monaco, Alessia Palmieri, Gennaro Mazzarella, Ciro Costagliola, Andrea Bianco, and Aurora Daniele, “New Insight into Adiponectin Role in Obesity and Obesity-Related Diseases,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2014, pp. 1–14, 2014.
- Esther de Vries, Ivan Arroyave, Constanza Pardo, Carolina Wiesner, Raul Murillo, David Forman, Alex Burdorf, and Mauricio Avendano, “Trends in inequalities in premature cancer mortality by educational level in Colombia, 1998-2007,” Journal Of Epidemiology And Community Health, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 408–415, 2015.
- Veronika Tomankova, Barbora Liskova, Lenka Skalova, Hana Bartikova, Iva Bousova, Lenka Jourova, Pavel Anzenbacher, Jitka Ulrichova, and Eva Anzenbacherova, “Altered cytochrome P450 activities and expression levels in liver and intestines of monosodium glutamate-induced mouse model of human obesity,” Life Sciences, 2015.
- Niloofar Taghizadeh, H. Marike Boezen, Jan P. Schouten, Carolien P. Schroder, E. G. Elisabeth de Vries, and Judith M. Vonk, “BMI and Lifetime Changes in BMI and Cancer Mortality Risk,” Plos One, vol. 10, no. 4, 2015.
- Xu Ding, Dongyi Zheng, Chaonan Fan, Zhaoqiu Liu, Hua Dong, Yuanyuan Lu, and Kemin Qi, “Genome-wide screen of DNA methylation identifies novel markers in childhood obesity,” Gene, 2015.
- Rowan T. Chlebowski, Joanne E. Schottinger, Jiaxiao Shi, Joanie Chung, and Reina Haque, “Aromatase inhibitors, tamoxifen, and endometrial cancer in breast cancer survivors,” Cancer, 2015.
- H. Ungefroren, F. Gieseler, and H. Lehnert, “Adipositas und Krebs,” Der Internist, 2015.
- Sabina Rinaldi, Carine Biessy, Maria de la Luz Hernandez, Martin Lajous, Eduardo Ortiz-Panozo, Elsa Yunes, Ruy Lopez-Ridaura, Gabriela Torres-Mejia, and Isabelle Romieu, “Endogenous hormones, inflammation, and body size in premenopausal Mexican women: results from the Mexican Teachers’ Cohort (MTC, ESMaestras),” Cancer Causes & Control, 2015.
- Fabian Sanchis-Gomar, Alejandro Lucia, Thomas Yvert, Ana Ruiz-Casado, Helios Pareja-Galeano, Alejandro Santos-Lozano, Carmen Fiuza-Luces, Nuria Garatachea, Giuseppe Lippi, Claude Bouchard, and Nathan A. Berger, “Physical Inactivity and Low Fitness Deserve More Attention to Alter Cancer Risk and Prognosis,” Cancer Prevention Research, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 105–110, 2015.
- Pawel Jozwiak, Anna Krzeslak, Magdalena Brys, and Anna Lipinska, “Glucose-dependent glucose transporter 1 expression and its impact on viability of thyroid cancer cells,” Oncology Reports, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 913–920, 2015.
- Kenneth D. Ward, SangNam Ahn, Fawaz Mzayek, Radwan Al Ali, Samer Rastam, Taghrid Asfar, Fouad Fouad, and Wasim Maziak, “The Relationship Between Waterpipe Smoking and Body Weight: Population-Based Findings From Syria,” Nicotine & Tobacco Research, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 34–40, 2015.
- Amy L. Strong, Matthew E. Burow, Jeffrey M. Gimble, and Bruce A. Bunnell, “Concise Review: The Obesity Cancer Paradigm: Exploration of the Interactions and Crosstalk with Adipose Stem Cells,” Stem Cells, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 318–326, 2015.
- Dorota Diakowska, Krzysztof Grabowski, Mirosław Nienartowicz, Paweł Zarębski, Kamila Fudalej, and Krystyna Markocka-Mączka, “Circulating Oxidized Low-Density Lipoproteins and Antibodies against Oxidized Low-Density Lipoproteins as Potential Biomarkers of Colorectal Cancer,” Gastroenterology Research and Practice, vol. 2015, pp. 1–7, 2015.
- Seher Balaban, Lisa S. Lee, Mark Schreuder, and Andrew J. Hoy, “Obesity and Cancer Progression: Is There a Role of Fatty Acid Metabolism?,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2015, pp. 1–17, 2015.