- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 320326, 4 pages
Black/White Differences in Perceived Weight and Attractiveness among Overweight Women
Deptartment of Psychology, University of Southern California, 3620 S. McClintock Avenue, SGM 501, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
Received 13 November 2012; Accepted 22 January 2013
Academic Editor: Nangel M. Lindberg
Copyright © 2013 Taona P. Chithambo and Stanley J. Huey. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Pan, D. Galuska, B. Sherry, A. Hunter, G. Rutledge, W. Dietz, et al., “Differences in prevalence of obesity among Black, White, and Hispanic adults-United States, 2006–2008,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 58, no. 27, pp. 740–744, 2009.
- K. J. Flynn and M. Fitzgibbon, “Body images and obesity risk among black females: a review of the literature,” Annals of Behavioral Medicine, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 13–24, 1998.
- M. R. Hebl and T. F. Heatherton, “The stigma of obesity in women: the difference is black and white,” Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 417–426, 1998.
- J. Croll, D. Neumark-Sztainer, M. Story, and M. Ireland, “Prevalence and risk and protective factors related to disordered eating behaviors among adolescents: relationship to gender and ethnicity,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 166–175, 2002.
- A. D. Powell and A. S. Kahn, “Racial differences in women's desires to be thin,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 191–195, 1995.
- S. Grabe and J. S. Hyde, “Ethnicity and body dissatisfaction among women in the United States: a meta-analysis,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 132, no. 4, pp. 622–640, 2006.
- N. J. Sabik, E. R. Cole, and L. M. Ward, “Are all minority women equally buffered from negative body image? Intra-ethnic moderators of the buffering hypothesis,” Psychology of Women Quarterly, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 139–151, 2010.
- F. M. Cachelin, R. M. Rebeck, G. H. Chung, and E. Pelayo, “Does ethnicity influence body-size preference? a comparison of body image and body size,” Obesity Research, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 158–166, 2002.
- S. Paeratakul, M. A. White, D. A. Williamson, D. H. Ryan, and G. A. Bray, “Sex, race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and BMI in relation to self-perception of overweight,” Obesity Research, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 345–350, 2002.
- Centers for Disease Control, Body mass index, http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/.
- K. M. Harris, “The National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health (Add Health), Waves I & II, 1994–1996, Wave III, 2001-2002, Wave IV, 2007–2009,” [machine-readable data file and documentation]. Chapel Hill: Carolina Population Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2008.
- M. Story, S. A. French, M. D. Resnick, and R. W. Blum, “Ethnic/racial and socioeconomic differences in dieting behaviors and body image perceptions in adolescents,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 173–179, 1995.
- J. Webster and M. Tiggemann, “The relationship between women's body satisfaction and self-image across the life span: the role of cognitive control,” Journal of Genetic Psychology, vol. 164, no. 2, pp. 241–252, 2003.
- P. A. Frazier, A. P. Tix, and K. E. Barron, “Testing moderator and mediator effects in counseling psychology research,” Journal of Counseling Psychology, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 115–134, 2004.
- N. M. Overstreet, D. M. Quinn, and V. B. Agocha, “Beyond thinness: the influence of a curvaceous body ideal on body dissatisfaction in black and white women,” Sex Roles, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 91–103, 2010.
- S. Parker, M. Nichter, M. Nichter, N. Vuckovic, C. Sims, and C. Ritenbaugh, “Body image and weight concerns among African American and White adolescent females: differences that make a difference,” Human Organization, vol. 54, pp. 103–114, 1995.
- S. K. Bearman, E. Stice, and A. Chase, “Evaluation of an intervention targeting both depressive and bulimic pathology: a randomized prevention trial,” Behavior Therapy, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 277–293, 2003.
- A. Bohne, S. Wilhelm, N. J. Keuthen, I. Florin, L. Baer, and M. A. Jenike, “Prevalence of body dysmorphic disorder in a German college student sample,” Psychiatry Research, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 101–104, 2002.
- E. Stice, “Risk and maintenance factors for eating pathology: a meta-analytic review,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 128, no. 5, pp. 825–848, 2002.
- D. Singh and S. Luis, “Ethnic and gender consensus for the effect of waist-to-hip ratio on judgment of women's attractiveness,” Human Nature, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 51–65, 1995.
- S. Bond and T. F. Cash, “Black beauty: skin color and body images among African‐American college women,” Journal of Applied Social Psychology, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 874–888, 2006.