- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 325464, 12 pages
Changes in Body Composition, Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors, and Eating Behavior after an Intensive Lifestyle Intervention with High Volume of Physical Activity in Severely Obese Subjects: A Prospective Clinical Controlled Trial
1Department of Sports Medicine, The Norwegian School of Sport Sciences, P.O. Box 4014 Ullevaal Stadion, 0806 Oslo, Norway
2Department of Endocrinology, Obesity and Preventive Medicine, Oslo University Hospital, P.O. Box 4956 Nydalen, 0424 Oslo, Norway
3NIMI, P.O. Box 3843 Ullevaal Stadion, 0805 Oslo, Norway
Received 15 February 2013; Revised 25 March 2013; Accepted 28 March 2013
Academic Editor: Daniel Weghuber
Copyright © 2013 Kjersti Karoline Danielsen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. McTigue, J. C. Larson, A. Valoski et al., “Mortality and cardiac and vascular outcomes in extremely obese women,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 296, no. 1, pp. 79–86, 2006.
- R. Sturm, “Increases in morbid obesity in the USA: 2000–2005,” Public Health, vol. 121, no. 7, pp. 492–496, 2007.
- S. Z. Yanovski and J. A. Yanovski, “Obesity prevalence in the United States: up, down, or sideways?” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 364, no. 11, pp. 987–989, 2011.
- J. P. Després, I. Lemieux, and D. Prud'homme, “Treatment of obesity: need to focus on high risk abdominally obese patients,” British Medical Journal, vol. 322, no. 7288, pp. 716–720, 2001.
- P. Stiegler and A. Cunliffe, “The role of diet and exercise for the maintenance of fat-free mass and resting metabolic rate during weight loss,” Sports Medicine, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 239–262, 2006.
- S. B. Heymsfield, “Physical activity, weight loss, and maintenance of lean mass,” in Physical Activity and Obesity, C. Bouchard and P. T. Katzmarsyk, Eds., pp. 240–244, Human Kinetics, 2nd edition, 2010.
- B. L. Marks and J. M. Rippe, “The importance of fat free mass maintenance in weight loss programmes,” Sports Medicine, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 273–281, 1996.
- R. L. Leibel, M. Rosenbaum, and J. Hirsch, “Changes in energy expenditure resulting from altered body weight,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 332, no. 10, pp. 621–628, 1995.
- W. D. McArdle, F. L. Katch, and V. L. Katch, Exercise Physiology: Energy, Nutrition and Human Performance, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 7th edition, 2009.
- A. R. Weinstein, H. D. Sesso, I. M. Lee et al., “The joint effects of physical activity and body mass index on coronary heart disease risk in women,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 168, no. 8, pp. 884–890, 2008.
- A. R. Weinstein and H. D. Sesso, “Joint effects of physical activity and body weight on diabetes and cardiovascular disease,” Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 10–15, 2006.
- M. Fogelholm, “Physical activity, fitness and fatness: relations to mortality, morbidity and disease risk factors. A systematic review,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 202–221, 2010.
- D. C. Lee, X. Sui, and S. N. Blair, “Does physical activity ameliorate the health hazards of obesity?” British Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 49–51, 2009.
- S. Lee, J. L. Kuk, L. E. Davidson et al., “Exercise without weight loss is an effective strategy for obesity reduction in obese individuals with and without Type 2 diabetes,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 1220–1225, 2005.
- C. A. Slentz, B. D. Duscha, J. L. Johnson et al., “Effects of the amount of exercise on body weight, body composition, and measures of central obesity: STRRIDE: a randomized controlled study,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 164, no. 1, pp. 31–39, 2004.
- R. Ross, D. Dagnone, P. J. H. Jones et al., “Reduction in obesity and related comorbid conditions after diet-induced weight loss or exercise-induced weight loss in men: a randomized, controlled trial,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 92–103, 2000.
- J. E. Donnelly, S. N. Blair, J. M. Jakicic, M. M. Manore, J. W. Rankin, and B. K. Smith, “Appropriate physical activity intervention strategies for weight loss and prevention of weight regain for adults,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 459–471, 2009.
- W. H. M. Saris, S. N. Blair, M. A. Van Baak et al., “How much physical activity is enough to prevent unhealthy weight gain? Outcome of the IASO 1st stock conference and consensus statement,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 101–114, 2003.
- R. J. Joseph, M. Alonso-Alonso, D. S. Bond, A. Pascual-Leone, and G. L. Blackburn, “The neurocognitive connection between physical activity and eating behaviour,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 800–812, 2011.
- B. Christiansen, L. Borge, and M. S. Fagermoen, “Understanding everyday life of morbidly obese adults-habits and body image,” International Journal of Qualitative Studies on Health and Well-Being, vol. 7, Article ID 17255, 2012.
- M. Wiklund, M. F. Olsen, and C. Willen, “Physical activity as viewed by adults with severe obesity, awaiting gastric bypass surgery,” Physiotherapy Research International, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 179–186, 2011.
- I. R. Knutsen, L. Terragni, and C. Foss, “Morbidly obese patients and lifestyle change: constructing ethical selves,” Nursing Inquiry, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 348–358, 2011.
- W. S. C. Poston, R. R. Suminski, and J. P. Foreyt, “Physical activity level and the treatment of severe obesity,” in Physical Activity and Obesity, B. Claude, Ed., pp. 295–310, Human Kinetics, 1st edition, 2000.
- S. J. W. Monkhouse, J. D. T. Morgan, S. E. Bates, and S. A. Norton, “An overview of the management of morbid obesity,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 85, no. 1010, pp. 678–681, 2009.
- C. Martins, M. Strømmen, O. A. Stavne, R. Nossum, R. Mårvik, and B. Kulseng, “Bariatric surgery versus lifestyle interventions for morbid obesity: changes in body weight, risk factors and comorbidities at 1 year,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 841–849, 2011.
- D. Hofsø, N. Nordstrand, L. K. Johnson et al., “Obesity-related cardiovascular risk factors after weight loss: a clinical trial comparing gastric bypass surgery and intensive lifestyle intervention,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 163, no. 5, pp. 735–745, 2010.
- B. H. Goodpaster, J. P. DeLany, A. D. Otto et al., “Effects of diet and physical activity interventions on weight loss and cardiometabolic risk factors in severely obese adults: a randomized trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 304, no. 16, pp. 1795–1802, 2010.
- J. L. Unick, D. Beavers, J. M. Jakicic, et al., “Effectiveness of lifestyle interventions for individuals with severe obesity and type 2 diabetes: results from the Look AHEAD trial,” Diabetes Care, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 2152–2157, 2011.
- E. Aadland and L. Robertson, “Physical activity is associated with weight loss and increased cardiorespiratory fitness in severely obese men and women undergoing lifestyle treatment,” Journal of Obesity, vol. 2012, Article ID 810594, 9 pages, 2012.
- J. J. Tur, A. J. Escudero, M. M. Alos, et al., “One-year weight losses in the TRAMOMTANA Study: a randomized controlled trial,” Clinical Endocrinology, 2012.
- N. A. Maffiuletti, F. Agosti, P. G. Marinone, G. Silvestri, C. L. Lafortuna, and A. Sartorio, “Changes in body composition, physical performance and cardiovascular risk factors after a 3-week integrated body weight reduction program and after 1-y follow-up in severely obese men and women,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 685–694, 2005.
- S. Maehlum, K. K. Danielsen, L. K. Heggebo, and J. Schioll, “The Hjelp24 NIMI Ringerike obesity clinic: an inpatient programme to address morbid obesity in adults,” British Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 91–94, 2012.
- A. Sartorio, M. Malavolti, F. Agosti et al., “Body water distribution in severe obesity and its assessment from eight-polar bioelectrical impedance analysis,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 155–160, 2005.
- S. M. Grundy, J. I. Cleeman, S. R. Daniels et al., “Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome: an American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute scientific statement,” Circulation, vol. 112, no. 17, pp. 2735–2752, 2005.
- M. Marfell-Jones, T. Olds, A. Stewart, and L. Carter, International Standards For Anthropometric Assessment, International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry (ISAK), 2nd edition, 2006.
- J. C. Cappelleri, A. G. Bushmakin, R. A. Gerber et al., “Psychometric analysis of the Three-Factor Eating Questionnaire-R21: results from a large diverse sample of obese and non-obese participants,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 611–620, 2009.
- O. Verschuren and T. Takken, “10-metre shuttle run test,” Journal of physiotherapy, vol. 56, no. 2, p. 136, 2010.
- O. Verschuren, L. Bosma, and T. Takken, “Reliability of a shuttle run test for children with cerebral palsy who are classified at Gross Motor Function Classification System level III,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 470–472, 2011.
- M. Rosenbaum, R. L. Leibel, and J. Hirsch, “Obesity,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 337, no. 6, pp. 396–407, 1997.
- M. Rosenbaum, K. Vandenborne, R. Goldsmith et al., “Effects of experimental weight perturbation on skeletal muscle work efficiency in human subjects,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 285, no. 1, pp. R183–R192, 2003.
- J. O. Hill, J. C. Peters, and H. R. Wyatt, “Using the energy gap to address obesity: a commentary,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 109, no. 11, pp. 1848–1853, 2009.
- G. B. Forbes, “Exercise and lean weight: the influence of body weight,” Nutrition Reviews, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 157–161, 1992.
- T. B. Chaston, J. B. Dixon, and P. E. O'Brien, “Changes in fat-free mass during significant weight loss: a systematic review,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 743–750, 2007.
- K. Ohkawara, S. Tanaka, M. Miyachi, K. Ishikawa-Takata, and I. Tabata, “A dose-response relation between aerobic exercise and visceral fat reduction: systematic review of clinical trials,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 1786–1797, 2007.
- J. W. Anderson, S. B. Conley, and A. S. Nicholas, “One hundred-pound weight losses with an intensive behavioral program: changes in risk factors in 118 patients with long-term follow-up,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 301–307, 2007.
- C. Martins, L. Morgan, and H. Truby, “A review of the effects of exercise on appetite regulation: an obesity perspective,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 1337–1347, 2008.
- A. M. Andrade, S. R. Coutinho, M. N. Silva et al., “The effect of physical activity on weight loss is mediated by eating self-regulation,” Patient Education and Counseling, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 320–326, 2010.
- H. Konttinen, K. Silventoinen, S. Sarlio-Lähteenkorva, S. Männistö, and A. Haukkala, “Emotional eating and physical activity self-efficacy as pathways in the association between depressive symptoms and adiposity indicators,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 1031–1039, 2010.
- J. J. Annesi, “Supported exercise improves controlled eating and weight through its effects on psychosocial factors: extending a systematic research program toward treatment development,” The Permanente Journal, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 7–18, 2012.
- C. Martins, B. Kulseng, N. A. King, J. J. Holst, and J. E. Blundell, “The effects of exercise-induced weight loss on appetite-related peptides and motivation to eat,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 1609–1616, 2010.
- E. J. Bryant, P. Caudwell, M. E. Hopkins, N. A. King, and J. E. Blundell, “Psycho-markers of weight loss. The roles of TFEQ Disinhibition and Restraint in exercise-induced weight management,” Appetite, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 234–241, 2012.
- P. J. Teixeira, M. N. Silva, S. R. Coutinho et al., “Mediators of weight loss and weight loss maintenance in middle-aged women,” Obesity, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 725–735, 2010.