- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 361781, 10 pages
Effects of Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass on Fasting and Postprandial Levels of the Inflammatory Markers YKL-40 and MCP-1 in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes and Glucose Tolerant Subjects
1Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Universitetsparken 1, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
2Department of Medicine, Center of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Copenhagen University Hospital Herlev, Herlev Ringvej 75, 2730 Herlev, Denmark
3Department of Internal Medicine, Amager Hospital, Italiensvej 1, 2300 Copenhagen, Denmark
4Department of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Universitetsparken 1, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
5Department of Endocrinology, Hvidovre Hospital, Kettegård Alle 30, 2650 Hvidovre, Denmark
Received 11 July 2013; Revised 9 September 2013; Accepted 15 September 2013
Academic Editor: Aimin Xu
Copyright © 2013 Stine Brinkløv Thomsen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. D. Pradhan, P. J. Skerrett, and J. E. Manson, “Obesity, diabetes, and coronary risk in women,” Journal of Cardiovascular Risk, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 323–330, 2002.
- P. Mathieu, P. Poirier, P. Pibarot, I. Lemieux, and J.-P. Després, “Visceral obesity the link among inflammation, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease,” Hypertension, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 577–584, 2009.
- J. P. Despres, “Body fat distribution and risk of cardiovascular disease: an update,” Circulation, vol. 126, pp. 1301–1313, 2012.
- R. Cancello and K. Clément, “Is obesity an inflammatory illness? Role of low-grade inflammation and macrophage infiltration in human white adipose tissue,” British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 113, no. 10, pp. 1141–1147, 2006.
- J. C. Pickup, “Inflammatory markers and type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2006.
- F. Laugerette, C. Vors, A. Géloën et al., “Emulsified lipids increase endotoxemia: possible role in early postprandial low-grade inflammation,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 53–59, 2011.
- J. C. Chow, D. W. Young, D. T. Golenbock, W. J. Christ, and F. Gusovsky, “Toll-like receptor-4 mediates lipopolysaccharide-induced signal transduction,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 274, no. 16, pp. 10689–10692, 1999.
- P. D. Cani, J. Amar, M. A. Iglesias, et al., “Metabolic endotoxemia initiates obesity and insulin resistance,” Diabetes, vol. 56, pp. 1761–1772, 2007.
- A. Hedegaard, R. Sejersten Ripa, J. S. Johansen, E. Jørgensen, and J. Kastrup, “Plasma YKL-40 and recovery of left ventricular function after acute myocardial infarction,” Scandinavian Journal of Clinical and Laboratory Investigation, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 80–86, 2010.
- C. Nøjgaard, N. B. Høst, I. J. Christensen et al., “Serum levels of YKL-40 increases in patients with acute myocardial infarction,” Coronary Artery Disease, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 257–263, 2008.
- M. Kucur, F. K. Isman, B. Karadag, V. A. Vural, and S. Tavsanoglu, “Serum YKL-40 levels in patients with coronary artery disease,” Coronary Artery Disease, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 391–396, 2007.
- A. R. Nielsen, C. Erikstrup, J. S. Johansen et al., “Plasma YKL-40 A BMI-independent marker of type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes, vol. 57, no. 11, pp. 3078–3082, 2008.
- C. N. Rathcke, J. S. Johansen, and H. Vestergaard, “YKL-40, a biomarker of inflammation, is elevated in patients with type 2 diabetes and is related to insulin resistance,” Inflammation Research, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 53–59, 2006.
- M. Hempen, H.-P. Kopp, M. Elhenicky et al., “YKL-40 is elevated in morbidly obese patients and declines after weight loss,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1557–1563, 2009.
- V. Catalán, J. Gómez-Ambrosi, A. Rodríguez et al., “Increased circulating and visceral adipose tissue expression levels of YKL-40 in obesity-associated type 2 diabetes are related to inflammation: impact of conventional weight loss and gastric bypass,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 200–209, 2011.
- N. D. Mygind, M. J. Harutyunyan, A. B. Mathiasen et al., “The influence of statin treatment on the inflammatory biomarkers YKL-40 and HsCRP in patients with stable coronary artery disease,” Inflammation Research, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 281–287, 2011.
- A. Yadav, V. Saini, and S. Arora, “MCP-1: chemoattractant with a role beyond immunity: a review,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 411, no. 21-22, pp. 1570–1579, 2010.
- H. Kanda, S. Tateya, Y. Tamori et al., “MCP-1 contributes to macrophage infiltration into adipose tissue, insulin resistance, and hepatic steatosis in obesity,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 116, no. 6, pp. 1494–1505, 2006.
- S. Yla-Herttuala, B. A. Lipton, M. E. Rosenfeld et al., “Expression of monocyte chemoattractant protein 1 in macrophage-rich areas of human and rabbit atherosclerotic lesions,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 88, no. 12, pp. 5252–5256, 1991.
- H. Buchwald, R. Estok, K. Fahrbach et al., “Weight and type 2 diabetes after bariatric surgery: systematic review and meta-analysis,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 122, no. 3, pp. 248–256, 2009.
- P. R. Schauer, S. R. Kashyap, K. Wolski et al., “Bariatric surgery versus intensive medical therapy in obese patients with diabetes,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 366, no. 17, pp. 1567–1576, 2012.
- G. Mingrone, S. Panunzi, A. De Gaetano et al., “Bariatric surgery versus conventional medical therapy for type 2 diabetes,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 366, no. 17, pp. 1577–1585, 2012.
- N. B. Jorgensen, S. H. Jacobsen, C. Dirksen, et al., “Acute and long-term effects of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass on glucose metabolism in subjects with Type 2 diabetes and normal glucose tolerance,” American Journal of Physiology: Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 303, pp. E122–E131, 2012.
- J. P. Dunn, N. N. Abumrad, I. Breitman et al., “Hepatic and peripheral insulin sensitivity and diabetes remission at 1 month after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery in patients randomized to omentectomy,” Diabetes Care, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 137–142, 2012.
- S. Camastra, A. Gastaldelli, A. Mari et al., “Early and longer term effects of gastric bypass surgery on tissue-specific insulin sensitivity and beta cell function in morbidly obese patients with and without type 2 diabetes,” Diabetologia, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 2093–2102, 2011.
- G. D. Miller, B. J. Nicklas, and A. Fernandez, “Serial changes in inflammatory biomarkers after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 618–624, 2011.
- S. V. Monte, J. A. Caruana, H. Ghanim et al., “Reduction in endotoxemia, oxidative and inflammatory stress, and insulin resistance after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery in patients with morbid obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Surgery, vol. 151, no. 4, pp. 587–593, 2012.
- G.-H. Schernthaner, H.-P. Kopp, S. Kriwanek et al., “Effect of massive weight loss induced by bariatric surgery on serum levels of interleukin-18 and monocyte-chemoattractant-protein-1 in morbid obesity,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 709–715, 2006.
- J. S. Johansen, T. Lottenburger, H. J. Nielsen et al., “Diurnal, weekly, and long-time variation in serum concentrations of YKL-40 in healthy subjects,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 2603–2608, 2008.
- S. B. Thomsen, C. N. Rathcke, T. Skaaby, A. Linneberg, and H. Vestergaard, “The Association between genetic variations of CHI3L1, levels of the encoded glycoprotein YKL-40 and the lipid profile in a Danish population,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, Article ID e47094, 2012.
- C. N. Rathcke and H. Vestergaard, “YKL-40—an emerging biomarker in cardiovascular disease and diabetes,” Cardiovascular Diabetology, vol. 8, article 61, 2009.
- J. Kastrup, “Can YKL-40 be a new inflammatory biomarker in cardiovascular disease?” Immunobiology, vol. 217, no. 5, pp. 483–491, 2012.
- C. N. Lumeng and A. R. Saltiel, “Inflammatory links between obesity and metabolic disease,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 121, no. 6, pp. 2111–2117, 2011.
- N. A. Neiken, S. R. Coughlin, D. Gordon, and J. N. Wilcox, “Monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 in human atheromatous plaques,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 1121–1127, 1991.
- J. A. De Lemos, D. A. Morrow, M. S. Sabatine et al., “Association between plasma levels of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 and long-term clinical outcomes in patients with acute coronary syndromes,” Circulation, vol. 107, no. 5, pp. 690–695, 2003.
- E. Mariani, L. Cattini, S. Neri et al., “Simultaneous evaluation of circulating chemokine and cytokine profiles in elderly subjects by multiplex technology: relationship with zinc status,” Biogerontology, vol. 7, no. 5-6, pp. 449–459, 2006.
- A. Rull, J. Camps, C. Alonso-Villaverde, and J. Joven, “Insulin resistance, inflammation, and obesity: role of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 (orCCL2) in the regulation of metabolism,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2010, Article ID 326580, 11 pages, 2010.
- A. E. Michelsen, C. N. Rathcke, M. Skjelland et al., “Increased YKL-40 expression in patients with carotid atherosclerosis,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 211, no. 2, pp. 589–595, 2010.
- H. Zhang, J. K. DiBaise, A. Zuccolo et al., “Human gut microbiota in obesity and after gastric bypass,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 7, pp. 2365–2370, 2009.
- H. Ghanim, S. Abuaysheh, C. L. Sia et al., “Increase in plasma endotoxin concentrations and the expression of toll-like receptors and suppressor of cytokine signaling-3 in mononuclear cells after a high-fat, high-carbohydrate meal: implications for insulin resistance,” Diabetes Care, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 2281–2287, 2009.
- A. D. Kjaergaard, S. E. Bojesen, J. S. Johansen, and B. G. Nordestgaard, “Elevated plasma YKL-40 levels and ischemic stroke in the general population,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 672–680, 2010.
- S. Létuvé, A. Kozhich, N. Arouche et al., “YKL-40 is elevated in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and activates alveolar macrophages,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 181, no. 7, pp. 5167–5173, 2008.