- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 378650, 14 pages
A Review of Adult Obesity Prevalence, Trends, Risk Factors, and Epidemiologic Methods in Kuwait
1Genome Centre, Dasman Diabetes Institute, P.O. Box 1180, Dasman, 15462 Kuwait City, Kuwait
2Dasman Diabetes Institute, P.O. Box 1180, Dasman 15462, Kuwait
Received 1 August 2013; Accepted 17 October 2013
Academic Editor: Renato Pasquali
Copyright © 2013 Stalo Karageorgi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. M. Finucane, G. A. Stevens, M. J. Cowan et al., “National, regional, and global trends in body-mass index since 1980: systematic analysis of health examination surveys and epidemiological studies with 960 country-years and 9·1 million participants,” The Lancet, vol. 377, no. 9765, pp. 557–567, 2011.
- “Global status report on noncommunicable diseases 2010,” Tech. Rep., World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2011.
- T. Kelly, W. Yang, C.-S. Chen, K. Reynolds, and J. He, “Global burden of obesity in 2005 and projections to 2030,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 1431–1437, 2008.
- P. L. Remington, R. C. Brwonson, and M. V. Wegner, Chronic Disease Epidemiology and Control, American Public Health Association, Washington, DC, USA, 3rd edition, 2010.
- F. Hu, Obesity Epidemiology, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2008.
- “Global health risks: mortality and burden of disease attributable to selected major risks,” Tech. Rep., World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2009.
- V. S. Malik, W. C. Willett, and F. B. Hu, “Global obesity: trends, risk factors and policy implications,” Nature Reviews Endocrinology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 13–27, 2013.
- G. W. Guy, A. V. W. Nunn, L. E. Thomas, and J. D. Bell, “Obesity, diabetes and longevity in the gulf: is there a gulf metabolic syndrome?” International Journal of Diabetes Mellitus, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 43–54, 2009.
- WHO, “Global info base international comparisons,” 2011, https://apps.who.int/infobase/Comparisons.aspx.
- International Diabetes Federation, IDF Diabetes Atlas, International Diabetes Federation, Brussels, Belgium, 5th edition, 2012.
- The public authority for civil information statistics, 2012, http://stat.paci.gov.kw/englishreports/.
- M. Badran and I. Laher, “Obesity in arabic-speaking countries,” Journal of Obesity, vol. 2011, Article ID 686430, 9 pages, 2011.
- B. Motlagh, M. O'Donnell, and S. Yusuf, “Prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors in the middle east: a systematic review,” European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 268–280, 2009.
- A. O. Musaiger, “Overweight and obesity in eastern mediterranean region: prevalence and possible causes,” Journal of Obesity, vol. 2011, Article ID 407237, 17 pages, 2011.
- A. O. Musaiger and H. M. Al-Hazzaa, “Prevalence and risk factors associated with nutrition-related noncommunicable diseases in the eastern mediterranean region,” International Journal of General Medicine, vol. 5, pp. 199–217, 2012.
- S. W. Ng, S. Zaghloul, H. I. Ali, G. Harrison, and B. M. Popkin, “The prevalence and trends of overweight, obesity and nutrition-related non-communicable diseases in the arabian gulf states,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 2011.
- L. Alhyas, A. McKay, A. Balasanthiran, and A. Majeed, “Prevalences of overweight, obesity, hyperglycaemia, hypertension and dyslipidaemia in the gulf: systematic review,” JRSM Short Reports, vol. 2, no. 7, article 55, 2011.
- H. E. Badr, N. M. Shah, and M. A. Shah, “Obesity among Kuwaitis aged 50 years or older: prevalence, correlates and comorbidities,” Gerontologist, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 555–566, 2013.
- S. Zaghloul, S. N. Al-Hooti, N. Al-Hamad et al., “Evidence for nutrition transition in Kuwait: over-consumption of macronutrients and obesity,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 596–607, 2013.
- A. Alattar, H. Al-Majed, T. Almuaili, O. Almutairi, A. Shaghouli, and W. Altorah, “Prevalence of impaired glucose regulation in asymptomatic Kuwaiti young adults,” Medical Principles and Practice, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 51–55, 2011.
- A. Naser Al-Isa, J. Campbell, and E. Desapriya, “Factors associated with overweight and obesity among Kuwaiti men,” Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 63–73, 2011.
- F. Ahmed, C. Waslien, M. A. Al-Sumaie, and P. Prakash, “Secular trends and risk factors of overweight and obesity among Kuwaiti adults: national nutrition surveillance system data from 1998 to 2009,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 2124–2130, 2012.
- P. Babusik and I. Duris, “Comparison of obesity and its relationship to some metabolic risk factors of atherosclerosis in arabs and south asians in Kuwait,” Medical Principles and Practice, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 275–280, 2010.
- I. Al Rashdan and Y. Al Nesef, “Prevalence of overweight, obesity, and metabolic syndrome among adult Kuwaitis: results from community-based national survey,” Angiology, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 42–48, 2010.
- F. Al-Kandari, V. L. Vidal, and D. Thomas, “Health-promoting lifestyle and body mass index among college of nursing students in Kuwait: a correlational study,” Nursing and Health Sciences, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 43–50, 2008.
- W. R. Al-Bader, J. Ramadan, A. Nasr-Eldin, and M. Barac-Nieto, “Pulmonary ventilatory functions and obesity in Kuwait,” Medical Principles and Practice, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 20–26, 2008.
- F. H. Al Orifan, H. E. Badr, M. Abdul Sabour Se’adah, K. Elias Khadadah, B. Al Kordi, and A. Abass, “Obesity and cardiovascular risk factor in Kuwaiti adults,” Kuwait Medical Journal, vol. 39, pp. 162–166, 2007.
- Y. Y. Al-Kandari, “Prevalence of obesity in Kuwait and its relation to sociocultural variables,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 147–154, 2006.
- F. Al-Assomi, S. Al-Kandari, D. Al-Wadaani, and L. Thalib, “Prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors amongst the population of Surra, Kuwait,” Journal of the Bahrain Medical Society, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 161–169, 2005.
- I. A. R. Al-Shayji and A. O. Akanji, “Obesity indices and major components of metabolic syndrome in young adult arab subjects,” Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2004.
- T. Al-Asi, “Overweight and obesity among Kuwait oil company employees: a cross-sectional study,” Occupational Medicine, vol. 53, no. 7, pp. 431–435, 2003.
- S. O. Olusi, A. M. Al-Awadi, and M. Abraham, “Baseline population survey data on the prevalence of risk factors for coronary artery disease among Kuwaitis aged 15 years and older,” Annals of Saudi Medicine, vol. 23, no. 3-4, pp. 162–166, 2003.
- A. N. Al-Isa, “Obesity among Kuwait university students: an explorative study,” Journal of The Royal Society for the Promotion of Health, vol. 119, no. 4, pp. 223–227, 1999.
- N. Abdella, M. Al Arouj, A. Al Nakhi, A. Al Assoussi, and M. Moussa, “Non-insulin-dependent diabetes in Kuwait: prevalence rates and associated risk factors,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 187–196, 1998.
- A. N. Al-Isa, “Body mass index and prevalence of obesity changes among Kuwaitis,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 51, no. 11, pp. 743–749, 1997.
- S. R. Raman, B. Al-Halabi, E. Hamdan, and M. D. Landry, “Prevalence and risk factors associated with self-reported carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) among office workers in Kuwait,” BioMed Central Research Notes, vol. 5, article 289, 2012.
- P. Babusik, M. Bilal, and I. Duris, “Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease of two ethnic groups in Kuwait: comparison of prevalence and risk factors,” Medical Principles and Practice, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 56–62, 2011.
- S. Al Zenki, H. Al Omirah, S. Al Hooti et al., “High prevalence of metabolic syndrome among Kuwaiti adults–a wake-up call for public health intervention,” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 1984–1996, 2012.
- H. Al-Shaibani, M. El-Batish, I. Sorkhou et al., “Prevalence of insulin resistance syndrome in a primary health care center in Kuwait,” Family Medicine, vol. 36, no. 8, article 540, 2004.
- A. N. Al-Isa, “Factors associated with overweight and obesity among Kuwaiti kindergarten female teachers,” Nutrition and Health, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 67–71, 2004.
- J. Ramadan and M. Barac-Nieto, “Reported frequency of physical activity, fitness, and fatness in Kuwait,” American Journal of Human Biology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 514–521, 2003.
- A. N. Al-Isa, “Are Kuwaitis getting fatter?” Nutrition and Health, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 185–197, 2003.
- R. T. Jackson, Z. Al-Mousa, M. Al-Raqua, P. Prakash, and A. N. Muhanna, “Multiple coronary risk factors in healthy older Kuwaiti males,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 709–714, 2002.
- R. T. Jackson, Z. Al-Mousa, M. Al-Raqua, P. Prakash, and A. Muhanna, “Prevalence of coronary risk factors in healthy adult Kuwaitis,” International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 301–311, 2001.
- A. N. Al-Isa, “Dietary and socio-economic factors associated with obesity among Kuwaiti college men,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 82, no. 5, pp. 369–374, 1999.
- A. N. Al-Isa, “Factors associated with overweight and obesity among Kuwaiti college women,” Nutrition and Health, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 227–233, 1998.
- A. N. Al-Isa, “Changes in body mass index (BMI) and prevalence of obesity among Kuwaitis 1980–1994,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 1093–1099, 1997.
- A. N. Al-Isa, “Changes in body mass index and prevalence of obesity among adult Kuwaiti women attending health clinics,” Annals of Saudi Medicine, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 307–311, 1997.
- A. N. Al-Isa, “Temporal changes in body mass index and prevalence of obesity among Kuwaiti men,” Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 307–314, 1997.
- A. N. Al-Isa, “Prevalence of obesity among adult Kuwaitis: a cross-sectional study,” International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 431–433, 1995.
- F. Al-Awadi and E. K. Amine, “Overweight and obesity in Kuwait,” Journal of the Royal Society of Health, vol. 109, no. 5, pp. 175–177, 1989.
- M. Alarouj, A. Bennakhi, Y. Alnesef, M. Sharifi, and N. Elkum, “Diabetes and associated cardiovascular risk factors in the state of Kuwait: the first national survey,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 67, pp. 89–96, 2013.
- H. T. AlMajed, A. T. AlAttar, A. A. Sadek et al., “Prevalence of dyslipidemia and obesity among college students in Kuwait,” Alexandria Journal of Medicine, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 67–71, 2011.
- Y. Al-Nesf, M. Kamel, M. K. El-Shazly, et al., “Kuwait STEPS, 2006,” Kuwait Ministry of Health, Kuwait, 2006.
- T.-C. Aw, T. Zoubeidi, F. Al-Maskari, and I. Blair, “Challenges and strategies for quantitative and qualitative field research in the United Arab Emirates,” Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 1641–1645, 2011.
- G. Berger and A. Peerson, “Giving young Emirati women a voice: participatory action research on physical activity,” Health and Place, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 117–124, 2009.