- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 379513, 7 pages
Designing Insurance to Promote Use of Childhood Obesity Prevention Services
1Rollins School of Public Health of Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
2Alliance for a Healthier Generation, New York, NY 10005, USA
Received 30 January 2013; Accepted 21 March 2013
Academic Editor: Roya Kelishadi
Copyright © 2013 Kimberly J. Rask et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. L. Ogden, M. D. Carroll, and K. M. Flegal, “High body mass index for age among US children and adolescents, 2003–2006,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 299, no. 20, pp. 2401–2405, 2008.
- C. L. Ogden, M. D. Carroll, L. R. Curtin, M. M. Lamb, and K. M. Flegal, “Prevalence of high body mass index in US children and adolescents, 2007-2008,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 303, no. 3, pp. 242–249, 2010.
- D. S. Freedman, W. H. Dietz, S. R. Srinivasan, and G. S. Berenson, “The relation of overweight to cardiovascular risk factors among children and adolescents: The Bogalusa Heart Study,” Pediatrics, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 1175–1182, 1999.
- L. K. Khon, K. Sobush, D. Keaner, et al., “Recommended community strategies and measurements to prevent obesity in the United States,” The MMWR Recommendations and Reports, vol. 58, no. RR-7, pp. 1–26, 2009.
- E. A. Finkelstein and J. G. Trogdon, “Public health interventions for addressing childhood overweight: analysis of the business case,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 411–415, 2008.
- J. Lightwood, K. Bibbins-Domingo, P. Coxson, Y. C. Wang, L. Williams, and L. Goldman, “Forecasting the future economic burden of current adolescent overweight: an estimate of the coronary heart disease policy model,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 99, no. 12, pp. 2230–2237, 2009.
- A. C. Monheit, J. P. Vistnes, and J. A. Rogowski, “Overweight in adolescents: Implications for health expenditures,” Economics and Human Biology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 55–63, 2009.
- E. A. Finkelstein, J. G. Trogdon, J. W. Cohen, and W. Dietz, “Annual medical spending attributable to obesity: payer-and service-specific estimates,” Health Affairs, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. w822–w831, 2009.
- J. P. Koplan, C. T. Liverman, and V. I. Kraak, Eds., Preventing Childhood Obesity: Health in the Balance, National Academies Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2005.
- Z. McCallum, M. Wake, B. Gerner et al., “Outcome data from the LEAP (Live, Eat and Play) trial: a randomized controlled trial of a primary care intervention for childhood overweight/mild obesity,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 630–636, 2007.
- R. P. Schwartz, R. Hamre, W. H. Dietz et al., “Office-based motivational interviewing to prevent childhood obesity: A Feasibility Study,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 161, no. 5, pp. 495–501, 2007.
- M. Wake, L. A. Baur, B. Gerner et al., “Outcomes and costs of primary care surveillance and intervention for overweight or obese children: the LEAP 2 randomised controlled trial,” British Medical Journal, vol. 339, article b3308, 2009.
- A. I. Patel, K. A. Madsen, J. H. Maselli, M. D. Cabana, R. S. Stafford, and A. L. Hersh, “Underdiagnosis of pediatric obesity during outpatient preventive care visits,” Academic Pediatrics, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 405–409, 2010.
- W. Slusser, K. Staten, K. Stephens, et al., “Payment for obesity services: examples and recommendations for stage 3 comprehensive multidisciplinary intervention programs for children and adolescents,” Pediatrics, vol. 128, supplement 2, pp. S78–S85, 2011.
- R. F. Kushner, “Tackling obesity: is primary care up to the challenge?” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 170, no. 2, pp. 121–123, 2010.
- M. Polacsek, J. Orr, L. Letourneau et al., “Impact of a primary care intervention on physician practice and patient and family behavior: keep ME healthy—The Maine Youth Overweight Collaborative,” Pediatrics, vol. 123, supplement 5, pp. S258–S266, 2009.
- M. E. Waring, M. B. Roberts, D. R. Parker, and C. B. Eaton, “Documentation and management of overweight and obesity in primary care,” Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 544–552, 2009.
- S. Wilensky, R. Whittington, and S. Rosenbaum, Strategies for Improving Access to Comprehensive Obesity Prevention and Treatment Services for Medicaid-Enrolled Children, George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services, Washington, DC, USA, 2006.
- L. A. Simpson and J. Cooper, “Paying for obesity: a changing landscape,” Pediatrics, vol. 123, supplement 5, pp. S301–S307, 2009.
- J. S. Lee, J. L. O. Sheer, N. Lopez, and S. Rosenbaum, “Coverage of obesity treatment: a state-by-state analysis of Medicaid and state insurance laws,” Public Health Reports, vol. 125, no. 4, pp. 596–604, 2010.