- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 393192, 8 pages
Adipose Tissue Dysfunction in Nascent Metabolic Syndrome
1Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37232-9170, USA
2Laboratory for Atherosclerosis and Metabolic Research, University of California Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA 95817-2218, USA
3VA Medical Center, Mather, CA 95655-4200, USA
Received 26 January 2013; Accepted 14 February 2013
Academic Editor: Anne E. Sumner
Copyright © 2013 Andrew A. Bremer and Ishwarlal Jialal. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [53 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Gillian E. Walker, Paolo Marzullo, Flavia Prodam, Gianni Bona, and Anna Maria Blasio, “Obesity modifies expression profiles of metabolic markers in superficial and deep subcutaneous abdominal adipose tissue depots,” Endocrine, 2013.
- Garth L. Nicolson, and Michael E. Ash, “Lipid Replacement Therapy: A natural medicine approach to replacing damaged lipids in cellular membranes and organelles and restoring function,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Biomembranes, 2013.
- Raj S. Padwal, “Obesity Diabetes and the Metabolic Syndrome: The Global Scourge,” Canadian Journal of Cardiology, 2013.
- C. Röcken, “Die nichtalkoholische Steatohepatitis als viszerale Manifestation des metabolischen Syndroms,” Der Gastroenterologe, 2013.
- Beverley Adams-Huet, Sridevi Devaraj, David Siegel, and Ishwarlal Jialal, “Increased Adipose Tissue Insulin Resistance in Metabolic Syndrome: Relationship to Circulating Adipokines,” Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, pp. 140827140415003, 2014.
- Nicholas J. Alvey, Alison Pedley, Klara J. Rosenquist, Joseph M. Massaro, Christopher J. O'Donnell, Udo Hoffmann, and Caroline S. Fox, “Association of Fat Density With Subclinical Atherosclerosis,” Journal of The American Heart Association, vol. 3, no. 4, 2014.
- Nathan L. Price, Cristina M. Ramírez, and Carlos Fernández-Hernando, “Relevance of microRNA in metabolic diseases,” Critical Reviews in Clinical Laboratory Sciences, pp. 1–16, 2014.
- K. V. Derkach, O. V. Chistyakova, and A. O. Shpakov, “A change of hormonal regulation of adenylyl cyclase in epididymal adipose tissue of rats with experimental models of diabetes mellitus,” Journal of Evolutionary Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 95–102, 2014.
- Grigorios Panagiotou, Lin Mu, Brian Na, Kenneth J. Mukamal, and Christos S. Mantzoros, “Circulating Irisin, Omentin- 1, and Lipoprotein Subparticles in Adults at Higher Cardiovascular Risk,” Metabolism, 2014.
- Xinpu Chen, and Sridevi Devaraj, “Monocytes from Metabolic Syndrome Subjects Exhibit a Proinflammatory M1 Phenotype,” Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, pp. 140521111921006, 2014.
- Wendy S. Hahn, Jovan Kuzmicic, Joel S. Burrill, Margaret A. Donoghue, Rocio Foncea, Michael D. Jensen, Sergio Lavandero, Edgar A. Arriaga, and David A. Bernlohr, “Proinflammatory cytokines differentially regulate adipocyte mitochondrial metabolism, oxidative stress, and dynamics,” American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 306, no. 9, pp. E1033–E1045, 2014.
- Cuiqing Liu, Yuntao Bai, Xiaohua Xu, Lixian Sun, Aixia Wang, Tse-Yao Wang, Santosh K. Maurya, Muthu Periasamy, Masako Morishita, Jack Harkema, Zhekang Ying, Qinghua Sun, and Sanjay Rajagopalan, “Exaggerated effects of particulate matter air pollution in genetic type II diabetes mellitus,” Particle and Fibre Toxicology, vol. 11, 2014.
- Marco C. Amato, Giuseppe Pizzolanti, Vittoria Torregrossa, Gabriella Misiano, Salvatore Milano, and Carla Giordano, “Visceral Adiposity Index (VAI) Is Predictive of an Altered Adipokine Profile in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 3, 2014.
- Daniel Pineda-Tenor, Juan Berenguer, Pilar García-Broncano, María A. Jiménez-Sousa, Amanda Fernández-Rodríguez, Cristina Diez, Mónica García-Álvarez, Ana Carrero, Pilar Catalán, Teresa Aldámiz-Echevarria, and Salvador Resino, “ Association of adiponectin ( ADIPOQ ) rs2241766 polymorphism and dyslipidemia in HIV/HCV-coinfected patients ,” European Journal of Clinical Investigation, 2014.
- Ishwarlal Jialal, Beverley Adams-Huet, Frank Duong, and Gerred Smith, “Relationship Between Retinol-Binding Protein-4/Adiponectin and Leptin/Adiponectin Ratios with Insulin Resistance and Inflammation,” Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, pp. 140304072951003, 2014.
- Susan L. Samson, “Metabolic Syndrome,” Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 1–+, 2014.
- Vasiliki Katsi, Georgia Vamvakou, John Lekakis, Dimitris Tousoulis, Christodoulos Stefanadis, Thomas Makris, and Ioannis Kallikazaros, “Omentin, Fat and Heart: Classical Music with New Instruments,” Heart, Lung and Circulation, 2014.
- J. Ball, and G. McAnulty, “Ignoring our evolution: the ‘pandemic’ of over-nutrition and under-activity. Not simply a metabolic syndrome?,” Anaesthesia, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 203–207, 2014.
- Ishwarlal Jialal, Sridevi Devaraj, and Uthra Rajamani, “Dysregulation of monocyte biology in metabolic syndrome,” Expert Review of Endocrinology & Metabolism, pp. 1–9, 2014.
- David C.L. Lam, Karen S.L. Lam, and Mary S.M. Ip, “Obstructive sleep apnoea, insulin resistance and adipocytokines,” Clinical Endocrinology, 2014.
- Harold Bays, “Central obesity as a clinical marker of adiposopathy; increased visceral adiposity as a surrogate marker for global fat dysfunction,” Current Opinion in Endocrinology Diabetes and Obesity, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 345–351, 2014.
- Bruce M. Spiegelman, “What We Talk About When We Talk About Fat,” Cell, vol. 156, no. 1-2, pp. 20–44, 2014.
- Anh Vu, Maha S. Sidhom, Brooke C. Bredbeck, Lisa A. Kosmiski, and Christina L. Aquilante, “Evaluation of the relationship between circulating omentin-1 concentrations and components of the metabolic syndrome in adults without type 2 diabetes or cardiovascular disease,” Diabetology & Metabolic Syndrome, vol. 6, 2014.
- Kanjana Suriyaprom, Rungsunn Tungtrongchitr, and Kittisak Thawnasom, “Measurement of the levels of leptin, BDNF associated with polymorphisms LEP G2548A, LEPR Gln223Arg and BDNF Val66Met in Thai with metabolic syndrome,” Diabetology & Metabolic Syndrome, vol. 6, 2014.
- Ishwarlal Jialal, Harmeet Kaur, and Sridevi Devaraj, “Toll-like Receptor Status in Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome: A Translational Perspective,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 39–48, 2014.
- Ching-Jung Hsieh, Pei-Wen Wang, and Tse-Ying Chen, “The relationship between regional abdominal fat distribution and both insulin resistance and subclinical chronic inflammation in non-diabetic adults,” Diabetology & Metabolic Syndrome, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 49, 2014.
- Vanessa Abella, Morena Scotece, Javier Conde, Verónica López, Verónica Lazzaro, Jesús Pino, Juan J. Gómez-Reino, and Oreste Gualillo, “Adipokines, Metabolic Syndrome and Rheumatic Diseases,” Journal of Immunology Research, vol. 2014, pp. 1–14, 2014.
- Ming Zhao, and Xiaoli Chen, “Effect of lipopolysaccharides on adipogenic potential and premature senescence of adipocyte progenitors,” American Journal Of Physiology-Endocrinology And Metabolism, vol. 309, no. 4, pp. E334–E344, 2015.
- A. Ciresi, M.C. Amato, G. Pizzolanti, and C. Giordano, “Serum visfatin levels in acromeg0061ly: Correlation with disease activity and metabolic alterations,” Growth Hormone & IGF Research, 2015.
- Yi-Jun Zhou, Cong Liu, Chun-Li Li, Yu-Ling Song, Yin-Si Tang, Hui Zhou, Ai Li, Yan Li, Yang Weng, and Fang-Ping Zheng, “Increased NOD1, but not NOD2, activity in subcutaneous adipose tissue from patients with metabolic syndrome,” Obesity, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1394–1400, 2015.
- Yu-Lin Tan, Xi-Long Zheng, and Chao-Ke Tang, “The Protective Functions of Omentin in Cardiovascular Diseases,” Clinica Chimica Acta, 2015.
- Ishwarlal Jialal, Sridevi Devaraj, Ahmed Bettaieb, Fawaz Haj, and Beverley Adams-Huet, “Increased adipose tissue secretion of Fetuin-A, lipopolysaccharide-binding protein and high–mobility group box protein 1 in metabolic syndrome,” Atherosclerosis, 2015.
- Zhen He, Min Li, Dongmei Zheng, Qing Chen, Wenwen Liu, and Li Feng, “Adipose tissue hypoxia and low-grade inflammation: a possible mechanism for ethanol-related glucose intolerance?,” British Journal Of Nutrition, vol. 113, no. 9, pp. 1355–1364, 2015.
- Mario Siervo, Carla M. Prado, Emily Mire, Stephanie Broyles, Jonathan C. K. Wells, Steven Heymsfield, and Peter T. Katzmarzyk, “Body composition indices of a load-capacity model: gender- and BMI-specific reference curves,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 1245–1254, 2015.
- Sophie Holowacz, Charlotte Guigné, Gérald Chêne, Sandrine Mouysset, Angèle Guilbot, Christian Seyrig, and Marc Dubourdeau, “A multispecies Lactobacillus- and Bifidobacterium-containing probiotic mixture attenuates body weight gain and insulin resistance after a short-term challenge with a high-fat diet in C57/BL6J mice,” PharmaNutrition, 2015.
- Wenfang Lai, Xue Tian, Qing Xiang, Kedan Chu, Yicong Wei, Jingti Deng, Shaoping Zhang, John Brown, and Guizhu Hong, “11 beta-HSD1 Modulates LPS-Induced Innate Immune Responses in Adipocytes by Altering Expression of PTEN,” Molecular Endocrinology, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 558–570, 2015.
- Flavia Andreia Marin, Irineu Rasera Junior, Celso Vieira de Souza Leite, and Maria Rita Marques de Oliveira, “Ferritin in hypertensive and diabetic women before and after bariatric surgery,” Nutricion Hospitalaria, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 666–671, 2015.
- A. Schmid, S. Leszczak, I. Ober, T. Karrasch, and A. Schaeffler, “Short-term Regulation of Resistin in vivo by Oral Lipid Ingestion and in vitro by Fatty Acid Stimulation,” Experimental And Clinical Endocrinology & Diabetes, vol. 123, no. 9, pp. 553–560, 2015.
- Mika Takeuchi, Ayaka Tsuboi, Miki Kurata, Keisuke Fukuo, and Tsutomu Kazumi, “Association of Metabolic Syndrome with Serum Adipokines in Community-Living Elderly Japanese Women,” Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, 2015.
- Anne-Emilie Declèves, and Kumar Sharma, “Obesity and kidney disease,” Current Opinion in Nephrology and Hypertension, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 28–36, 2015.
- Klara J. Rosenquist, Joseph M. Massaro, Alison Pedley, Michelle T. Long, Bernard E. Kreger, Ramachandran S. Vasan, Joanne M. Murabito, Udo Hoffmann, and Caroline S. Fox, “Fat Quality and Incident Cardiovascular Disease, All-Cause Mortality, and Cancer Mortality,” Journal Of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 227–234, 2015.
- Peter Zahradka, and Carla G. Taylor, “Understanding adipocyte types and adipose tissue dynamics for obesity management,” Clinical Lipidology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 23–26, 2015.
- Qiu-Xia Yu, Hong Zhang, Wen-Hui Xu, Fei Hao, Su-Lai Liu, Meng-Meng Bai, Jia-Wei Mu, and Hui-Juan Zhang, “Effect of Irbesartan on Chemerin in the Renal Tissues of Diabetic Rats,” Kidney & Blood Pressure Research, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 467–477, 2015.
- G Ganesan, R V Warren, A Leproux, M Compton, K Cutler, S Wittkopp, G Tran, T O’Sullivan, S Malik, P R Galassetti, and B J Tromberg, “Diffuse optical spectroscopic imaging of subcutaneous adipose tissue metabolic changes during weight loss,” International Journal of Obesity, 2016.
- Andreas Schmid, Margarita Bala, Stephanie Leszczak, Irene Ober, Christa Buechler, and Thomas Karrasch, “Pro-inflammatory chemokines CCL2, chemerin, IP-10 and RANTES in human serum during an oral lipid tolerance test,” Cytokine, vol. 80, pp. 56–63, 2016.
- Cacylde Amouzou, Cyril Breuker, Odile Fabre, Annick Bourret, Karen Lambert, Olivier Birot, Christine Fedou, Anne-Marie Dupuy, Jean-Paul Cristol, Thibault Sutra, Nicolas Molinari, Laurent Maimoun, Denis Mariano-Goulart, Florence Galtier, Antoine Avignon, Francoise Stanke-Labesque, Jacques Mercier, Ariane Sultan, and Catherine Bisbal, “Skeletal Muscle Insulin Resistance and Absence of Inflammation Characterize Insulin-Resistant Grade I Obese Women,” Plos One, vol. 11, no. 4, 2016.
- Patrick Wainwright, and Christopher Byrne, “Bidirectional Relationships and Disconnects between NAFLD and Features of the Metabolic Syndrome,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 367, 2016.
- Mary Y. K. Lee, Yan Wang, Judith C. W. Mak, and Mary S. M. Ip, “Intermittent hypoxia induces NF-kappa B-dependent endothelial activation via adipocyte-derived mediators,” American Journal Of Physiology-Cell Physiology, vol. 310, no. 6, pp. C446–C455, 2016.
- Nathan L. Price, and Carlos Fernández-Hernando, “miRNA regulation of white and brown adipose tissue differentiation and function,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids, 2016.
- Harry Robberecht, and Nina Hermans, “Biomarkers of Metabolic Syndrome: Biochemical Background and Clinical Significance,” Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, 2016.
- Catherine J. Andersen, Kelsey E. Murphy, and Maria Luz Fernandez, “Impact of Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome on Immunity,” Advances In Nutrition, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 66–75, 2016.
- Panita Limpawattana, Manchumad Manjavong, and Roypim Sopapong, “Can Neck Circumference Predict Metabolic Syndrome? An Experience From A University Community,” Endocrine Practice, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 8–15, 2016.
- Yong Wang, Xiaoyan Guo, Heng Ma, Lin Lu, and Ruiyan Zhang, “Prokineticin-2 is associated with metabolic syndrome in a middle-aged and elderly Chinese population,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 15, no. 1, 2016.