- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 395671, 4 pages
Child Nutritional Status: A Representative Survey in a Metropolitan School
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, Largo A. Gemelli 8, 00168 Rome, Italy
Received 7 September 2012; Revised 5 January 2013; Accepted 5 January 2013
Academic Editor: Francesco Saverio Papadia
Copyright © 2013 Paolo Rosati et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. L. Ogden and M. D. Carroll, “Prevalence of obesity among children and adolescents: United States, trends 1963–1965 through 2007-2008,” Health E-Stat, 2010, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/obesity_child_07_08/obesity_child_07_08.htm/.
- M. K. Serdula, D. Ivery, R. J. Coates, D. S. Freedman, D. F. Williamson, and T. Byers, “Do obese children become obese adults? A review of the literature,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 167–177, 1993.
- N. Halfon, P. A. Verhoef, and A. A. Kuo, “Childhood antecedents to adult cardiovascular disease,” Pediatrics in Review, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 51–60, 2012.
- L. J. Lloyd, S. C. Langley-Evans, and S. McMullen, “Childhood obesity and risk of the adult metabolic syndrome: a systematic review,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2010.
- M. A. Kalarchian and M. D. Marcus, “Psychiatric comorbidity of childhood obesity,” International Review of Psychiatry, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 241–246, 2012.
- J. John, S. B. Wolfenstetter, and C. M. Wenig, “An economic perspective on childhood obesity: recent findings on cost of illness and cost effectiveness of interventions,” Nutrition, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 829–839, 2012.
- M. de Onis, M. Blössner, and E. Borghi, “Global prevalence and trends of overweight and obesity among preschool children,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 1257–1264, 2010.
- Centre for Disease Control Prevention (CDC), “Obesity prevalence among low-income, preschool-aged children: United States, 1998–2008,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 58, no. 28, pp. 769–773, 2009.
- T. M. Wijnhoven, J. M. van Raaij, A. Spinelli et al., “WHO European Childhood Obesity Surveillance Initiative 2008: weight, height and body mass index in 6–9-year-old children,” Pediatric Obesity, 2012.
- E. Bergström and H. K. Blomquist, “Is the prevalence of overweight and obesity declining among 4-year-old Swedish children?” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 98, no. 12, pp. 1956–1958, 2009.
- E. Sundblom, M. Petzold, F. Rasmussen, E. Callmer, and L. Lissner, “Childhood overweight and obesity prevalences levelling off in Stockholm but socioeconomic differences persist,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1525–1530, 2008.
- B. A. Woodruff and A. Duffield, “Anthropometric assessment of nutritional status in adolescent populations in humanitarian emergencies,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 1108–1118, 2002.
- T. J. Cole, K. M. Flegal, D. Nicholls, and A. A. Jackson, “Body mass index cut offs to define thinness in children and adolescents: international survey,” British Medical Journal, vol. 335, no. 7612, pp. 194–201, 2007.
- M. Golan and S. Crow, “Parents are key players in the prevention and treatment of weight-related problems,” Nutrition Reviews, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 39–50, 2004.
- A. S. Wolf, “The overweight and underweight girl: from findings to prevention,” Zentralblatt fur Gynakologie, vol. 124, no. 3, pp. 146–152, 2002.
- M. L. Portela de Santana, H. da Costa Ribeiro Junior, M. M. Giral, and R. M. Raich, “Epidemiology and risk factors of eating disorder in adolescence: a review,” Nutrición Hospitalaria, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 391–401, 2012.
- T. J. Cole, “Secular trends in growth,” The Proceedings of The Nutrition Society, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 317–324, 2000.
- WHO Expert Committee on Physical Status, Physical Status: The Use and Interpretation of Anthropometry, Technical Report Series no. 854, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 1995.
- K. M. Flegal, M. D. Carroll, C. L. Ogden, and L. R. Curtin, “Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999–2008,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 303, no. 3, pp. 235–241, 2010.
- B. M. Popkin, “Recent dynamics suggest selected countries catching up to US obesity,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 284S–288S, 2010.
- A. Berghöfer, T. Pischon, T. Reinhold, C. M. Apovian, A. M. Sharma, and S. N. Willich, “Obesity prevalence from a European perspective: a systematic review,” BMC Public Health, vol. 8, article 200, 2008.
- A. R. El-Ghannam, “The global problems of child malnutrition and mortality in different world regions,” Journal of Health and Social Policy, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 1–26, 2003.
- A. M. Toschke, S. Rückinger, T. Reinehr, and R. von Kries, “Growth around puberty as predictor of adult obesity,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 62, no. 12, pp. 1405–1411, 2008.
- F. X. Pi-Sunyer, “Health implications of obesity,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 53, pp. 15955–16035, 1991.
- G. S. Berenson, S. R. Srinivasan, W. Bao, W. P. Newman, R. E. Tracy, and W. A. Wattigney, “Association between multiple cardiovascular risk factors and atherosclerosis in children and young adults,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 338, no. 23, pp. 1650–1656, 1998.
- M. H. Park, C. Falconer, R. M. Viner, and S. Kinra, “The impact of childhood obesity on morbidity and mortality in adulthood: a systematic review,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 985–1000, 2012.
- S. J. Olshansky, D. J. Passaro, R. C. Hershow et al., “A potential decline in life expectancy in the United States in the 21st century,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 352, no. 11, pp. 1138–1145, 2005.
- T. Lobstein, “Maternal and child obesity: some policy challenges,” The Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 506–513, 2011.
- D. B. Ehrenthal, K. Maiden, A. Rao, et al., “Independent relation of maternal prenatal factors to early childhood obesity in the offspring,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 121, no. 1, pp. 115–121, 2013.
- S. Ramachandrappa and I. S. Farooqi, “Genetic approaches to understanding human obesity,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 121, no. 6, pp. 2080–2086, 2011.
- C. D. Summerbell, H. J. Moore, C. Vögele, et al., “ToyBox-study group. Evidence-based recommendations for the development of obesity prevention programs targeted at preschool children,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 13, Supplement 1, pp. 129–132, 2012.
- F. Turchetta, G. Gatto, R. Saulle, F. Romano, A. Boccia, and G. La Torre, “Systematic review and meta-analysis of the prevalence of overweight and obesity among school-age children in Italy,” Epidemiologia and Prevenzione, vol. 36, no. 3-4, pp. 188–195, 2012.
- A. Spinelli, A. Lamberti, M. Buoncristiano, P. Nardone, and G. Baglio, “Gruppo OKkio alla SALUTE 2010. Overweight and obesity among children. 1 out of 4 is overweight, 1 out of 9 is obese,” Epidemiologia and Prevenzione, vol. 35, no. 5-6, supplement 2, pp. 82–83, 2011.
- Y. Wang, “Is obesity associated with early sexual maturation? A comparison of the association in American boys versus girls,” Pediatrics, vol. 110, no. 5, pp. 903–910, 2002.