- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 417907, 8 pages
Prevalence of Childhood and Adolescent Overweight and Obesity from 2003 to 2010 in an Integrated Health Care Delivery System
1Prevention & Health Information, Regional Health Education, The Permanente Medical Group, Inc., 1950 Franklin Street, 13th Floor, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
2The Permanente Medical Group, Inc., Oakland, CA 94612, USA
3Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, USA
Received 11 January 2013; Revised 13 May 2013; Accepted 27 June 2013
Academic Editor: Roya Kelishadi
Copyright © 2013 Scott Gee et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. L. Ogden, M. D. Carroll, B. K. Kit, and K. M. Flegal, “Prevalence of obesity and trends in body mass index among US children and adolescents, 1999–2010,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 307, no. 5, pp. 483–490, 2012.
- D. S. Freedman, W. H. Dietz, S. R. Srinivasan, and G. S. Berenson, “The relation of overweight to cardiovascular risk factors among children and adolescents: the Bogalusa Heart Study,” Pediatrics, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 1175–1182, 1999.
- S. J. Olshansky, D. J. Passaro, R. C. Hershow et al., “A potential decline in life expectancy in the United States in the 21st century,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 352, no. 11, pp. 1138–1145, 2005.
- N. Wille, M. Erhart, C. Petersen, and U. Ravens-Sieberer, “The impact of overweight and obesity on health-related quality of life in childhood—results from an intervention study,” BMC Public Health, vol. 8, article 421, 2008.
- S. J. Woolford, A. Gebremariam, S. J. Clark, and M. M. Davis, “Persistent gap of incremental charges for obesity as a secondary diagnosis in common pediatric hospitalizations,” Journal of Hospital Medicine, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 149–156, 2009.
- S. S. Guo, W. Wu, W. C. Chumlea, and A. F. Roche, “Predicting overweight and obesity in adulthood from body mass index values in childhood and adolescence,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 653–658, 2002.
- E. A. Finkelstein, J. G. Trogdon, J. W. Cohen, and W. Dietz, “Annual medical spending attributable to obesity: payer-and service-specific estimates,” Health Affairs, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. w822–w831, 2009.
- “The economic costs of overweight, obesity, and physical inactivity among California adults-2006,” California Center for Public Health Advocacy, 2009.
- C. Bethell, D. Read, E. Goodman et al., “Consistently inconsistent: a snapshot of across- and within-state disparities in the prevalence of childhood overweight and obesity,” Pediatrics, vol. 123, no. 5, supplement, pp. S277–S286, 2009.
- G. K. Singh, M. D. Kogan, and P. C. Van Dyck, “Changes in state-specific childhood obesity and overweight prevalence in the United States from 2003 to 2007,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 164, no. 7, pp. 598–607, 2010.
- K. A. Madsen, A. E. Weedn, and P. B. Crawford, “Disparities in peaks, plateaus, and declines in prevalence of high BMI among adolescents,” Pediatrics, vol. 126, no. 3, pp. 434–442, 2010.
- S. Babey, J. Wolstein, A. Diamant, A. Bloom, and H. Goldstein, “A Patchwork of Progress Changes in Overweight and Obesity Among California 5th, 7th, and 9th Graders, 2005–2010,” 2011, http://www.publichealthadvocacy.org/research/patchworkdocs/OFT%20brief_final.pdf.
- W. Dietz, J. Lee, H. Wechsler, S. Malepati, and B. Sherry, “Health plans' role in preventing overweight in children and adolescents,” Health Affairs, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 430–440, 2007.
- N. P. Gordon, “Similarity of the Adult Kaiser Permanente Membership in Northern California to the Insured and General Population in Northern California: Statistics from the 2009 California Health Interview Survey, Internal Division of Research Report,” Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, 2012.
- J. L. Fleis, Statistical Methods for Rates and Proportions, John Wiley & Sons, 2nd edition, 1981.
- R. A. Miech, S. K. Kumanyika, N. Stettler, B. G. Link, J. C. Phelan, and V. W. Chang, “Trends in the association of poverty with overweight among US adolescents, 1971-2004,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 295, no. 20, pp. 2385–2393, 2006.
- S. Brophy, R. Cooksey, M. B. Gravenor et al., “Risk factors for childhood obesity at age 5: Analysis of the Millennium Cohort study,” BMC Public Health, vol. 9, article 467, 2009.
- P. M. Anderson, K. F. Butcher, and P. B. Levine, “Maternal employment and overweight children,” Journal of Health Economics, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 477–504, 2003.
- E. Takahashi, K. Yoshida, H. Sugimori et al., “Influence factors on the development of obesity in 3-year-old children based on the Toyama study,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 293–296, 1999.
- R. G. Hernandez, T. L. Cheng, and J. R. Serwint, “Parents healthy weight perceptions and preferences regarding obesity counseling in preschoolers: pediatricians matter,” Clinical Pediatrics, vol. 49, no. 8, pp. 790–798, 2010.
- K. E. Rhee, C. W. DeLago, T. Arscott-Mills, S. D. Mehta, and R. K. Davis, “Factors associated with parental readiness to make changes for overweight children,” Pediatrics, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. e94–e101, 2005.
- R. P. Schwartz, R. Hamre, W. H. Dietz et al., “Office-based motivational interviewing to prevent childhood obesity: a feasibility study,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 161, no. 5, pp. 495–501, 2007.
- R. M. Kwapiszewski and A. Lee Wallace, “A pilot program to identify and reverse childhood obesity in a primary care clinic,” Clinical Pediatrics, vol. 50, no. 7, pp. 630–635, 2011.
- E. Jelalian, J. Boergers, C. S. Alday, and R. Frank, “Survey of physician attitudes and practices related to pediatric obesity,” Clinical Pediatrics, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 235–245, 2003.
- I. R. Mabry, S. J. Clark, A. Kemper, K. Fraser, S. Kileny, and M. D. Cabana, “Variation in establishing a diagnosis of obesity in children,” Clinical Pediatrics, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 221–227, 2005.
- S. Cook, M. Weitzman, P. Auinger, and S. E. Barlow, “Screening and counseling associated with obesity diagnosis in a national survey of ambulatory pediatric visits,” Pediatrics, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 112–116, 2005.
- E. P. Whitlock, E. A. O'Connor, S. B. Williams, T. L. Beil, and K. W. Lutz, “Effectiveness of weight management interventions in children: a targeted systematic review for the USPSTF,” Pediatrics, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. e396–e418, 2010.
- S. E. Barlow, “Expert committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment, and treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: summary report,” Pediatrics, vol. 120, pp. S164–192, 2007.
- K. J. Coleman, A. C. Hsii, C. Koebnick et al., “Implementation of clinical practice guidelines for pediatric weight management,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 160, no. 6, pp. 918–922, 2012.
- A. C. Van Berckelaer, N. Mitra, and S. Pati, “Predictors of well child care adherence over time in a cohort of urban Medicaid-eligible infants,” BMC Pediatrics, vol. 11, article 36, 2011.
- P. C. Young, S. Debry, W. D. Jackson et al., “Improving the prevention, early recognition, and treatment of pediatric obesity by primary care physicians,” Clinical Pediatrics, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 964–969, 2010.
- HEDIS, Technical Specifications for Health Plans. National Committee for Quality Assurance. 2009, http://www.ncqa.org/PublicationsProducts/HEDIS.aspx.
- L. Pan, H. M. Blanck, B. Sherry, K. Dalenius, and L. M. Grummer-Strawn, “Trends in the prevalence of extreme obesity among US preschool-aged children living in low-income families, 1998–2010,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 308, no. 24, pp. 2563–2565, 2012.