- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 437017, 8 pages
“Obese Equals Lazy?” Analysis of the Association between Weight Status and Physical Activity in Children
1Department of Rehabilitative and Preventive Sports Medicine, University Medical Center, University of Freiburg, Hugstetter Straße 55, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
2Institute of Sport and Sport Science, University of Freiburg, Schwarzwaldstraße 175, 79117 Freiburg, Germany
3Institute of Human Genetics, University Hospital-Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Kollegiengasse 10, 07740 Jena, Germany
Received 25 October 2012; Revised 13 January 2013; Accepted 15 January 2013
Academic Editor: Jana Pařízková
Copyright © 2013 F. Kreuser et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. S. Olds, G. R. Tomkinson, K. E. Ferrar, and C. A. Maher, “Trends in the prevalence of childhood overweight and obesity in Australia between 1985 and 2008,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 57–66, 2010.
- C. B. Ebbeling, D. B. Pawlak, and D. S. Ludwig, “Childhood obesity: public-health crisis, common sense cure,” The Lancet, vol. 360, no. 9331, pp. 473–482, 2002.
- J. J. Reilly, E. Methven, Z. C. McDowell et al., “Health consequences of obesity,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 88, no. 9, pp. 748–752, 2003.
- D. S. Freedman, L. K. Khan, W. H. Dietz, S. R. Srinivasan, and G. S. Berenson, “Relationship of childhood obesity to coronary heart disease risk factors in adulthood: the Bogalusa heart study,” Pediatrics, vol. 108, no. 3, pp. 712–718, 2001.
- R. C. Whitaker, J. A. Wright, M. S. Pepe, K. D. Seidel, and W. H. Dietz, “Predicting obesity in young adulthood from childhood and parental obesity,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 337, no. 13, pp. 869–873, 1997.
- M. K. Gebremariam, T. H. Totland, L. F. Andersen et al., “Stability and change in screen-based sedentary behaviours and associated factors among Norwegian children in the transition between childhood and adolescence,” BMC Public Health, vol. 12, article 104, 2012.
- P. T. Katzmarzyk, T. S. Church, C. L. Craig, and C. Bouchard, “Sitting time and mortality from all causes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 998–1005, 2009.
- S. J. H. Biddle, N. Pearson, G. M. Ross, and R. Braithwaite, “Tracking of sedentary behaviours of young people: a systematic review,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 345–351, 2010.
- K. F. Janz, J. D. Dawson, and L. T. Mahoney, “Tracking physical fitness and physical activity from childhood to adolescence: the Muscatine study,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 1250–1257, 2000.
- P. C. Hallal, J. C. K. Wells, F. F. Reichert, L. Anselmi, and C. G. Victora, “Early determinants of physical activity in adolescence: prospective birth cohort study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 332, no. 7548, pp. 1002–1005, 2006.
- R. J. Hancox, B. J. Milne, and R. Poulton, “Association between child and adolescent television viewing and adult health: a longitudinal birth cohort study,” The Lancet, vol. 364, no. 9430, pp. 257–262, 2004.
- K. F. Janz, T. L. Burns, and S. M. Levy, “Tracking of activity and sedentary behaviors in childhood: the Iowa bone development study,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 171–178, 2005.
- R. M. Viner and T. J. Cole, “Television viewing in early childhood predicts adult body mass index,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 147, no. 4, pp. 429–435, 2005.
- P. E. Pardee, G. J. Norman, R. H. Lustig, D. Preud'homme, and J. B. Schwimmer, “Television viewing and hypertension in obese children,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 439–443, 2007.
- G. Vicente-Rodríguez, J. P. Rey-López, M. Martín-Matillas et al., “Television watching, videogames, and excess of body fat in Spanish adolescents: the AVENA study,” Nutrition, vol. 24, pp. 7654–7862, 2008.
- N. Owen, G. N. Healy, C. E. Matthews, and D. W. Dunstan, “Too much sitting: the population health science of sedentary behavior,” Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 105–113, 2010.
- J. J. Reilly, V. Penpraze, J. Hislop, G. Davies, S. Grant, and J. Y. Paton, “Objective measurement of physical activity and sedentary behaviour: review with new data,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 93, no. 7, pp. 614–619, 2008.
- U. Ekelund, G. Tomkinson, and N. Armstrong, “What proportion of youth are physically active? Measurement issues, levels and recent time trends,” British Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 859–865, 2011.
- U. Korsten-Reck, K. Kromeyer-Hauschild, B. Wolfarth, H. H. Dickhuth, and A. Berg, “Freiburg Intervention Trial for Obese Children (FITOC): results of a clinical observation study,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 356–361, 2005.
- K. Kromeyer-Hauschild, “Perzentile für den Body-mass-Index für das Kindes- und Jugendalter unter Heranziehung verschiedener deutscher Stichproben,” Monatsschrift Kinderheilkunde, vol. 149, no. 8, pp. 807–818, 2001.
- W. A. Marshall and J. M. Tanner, “Variations in pattern of pubertal changes in girls,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 44, no. 235, pp. 291–303, 1969.
- W. A. Marshall and J. M. Tanner, “Variations in the pattern of pubertal changes in boys,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 45, no. 239, pp. 13–23, 1970.
- M. S. Tremblay, “Major initiatives related to childhood obesity and physical inactivity in Canada,” Canadian Journal of Public Health, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 164–169, 2012.
- H. A. Raynor, D. S. Bond, P. S. Freedson, and S. B. Sisson, “Sedentary behaviors, weight, and health and disease risks,” Journal of Obesity, vol. 2012, Article ID 852743, 3 pages, 2012.
- C. Vandelanotte, T. Sugiyama, P. Gardiner, and N. Owen, “Associations of leisure-time internet and computer use with overweight and obesity, physical activity and sedentary behaviors: cross-sectional study,” Journal of Medical Internet Research, vol. 11, no. 3, article e28, 2009.
- J. A. Levine, S. J. Schleusner, and M. D. Jensen, “Energy expenditure of nonexercise activity,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 1451–1454, 2000.
- D. B. Bornstein, M. W. Beets, W. Byun, and K. McIver, “Accelerometer-derived physical activity levels of preschoolers: a meta-analysis,” Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 504–511, 2011.
- L. R. Purslow, C. Hill, J. Saxton, K. Corder, and J. Wardle, “Differences in physical activity and sedentary time in relation to weight in 8-9 year old children,” International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol. 5, article 67, 2008.
- A. D. Salbe, C. Weyer, I. Harper, R. S. Lindsay, E. Ravussin, and P. A. Tataranni, “Assessing risk factors for obesity between childhood and adolescence, part 2: energy metabolism and physical activity,” Pediatrics, vol. 110, no. 2, part 1, pp. 307–314, 2002.
- B. Deforche, I. de Bourdeaudhuij, E. D'Hondt, and G. Cardon, “Objectively measured physical activity, physical activity related personality and body mass index in 6- to 10-yr-old children: a cross-sectional study,” International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol. 6, article 25, 2009.
- L. Chaddock, K. I. Erickson, R. S. Prakash et al., “A neuroimaging investigation of the association between aerobic fitness, hippocampal volume, and memory performance in preadolescent children,” Brain Research, vol. 1358, pp. 172–183, 2010.
- C. H. Hillman, D. M. Castelli, and S. M. Buck, “Aerobic fitness and neurocognitive function in healthy preadolescent children,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 1967–1974, 2005.
- T. M. Burkhalter and C. H. Hillman, “A narrative review of physical activity, nutrition, and obesity to cognition and scholastic performance across the human lifespan,” Advances in Nutrition, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 201S–206S, 2011.
- M. S. Tremblay, A. G. LeBlanc, I. Janssen et al., “Canadian sedentary behaviour guidelines for children and youth,” Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 59–71, 2011.
- R. C. Colley, D. Garriguet, I. Janssen, C. L. Craig, J. Clarke, and M. S. Tremblay, “Physical activity of Canadian children and youth: accelerometer results from the 2007 to 2009 Canadian Health Measures Survey,” Health Reports, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 15–23, 2011.
- T. G. Lohman, K. Ring, K. H. Schmitz et al., “Associations of body size and composition with physical activity in adolescent girls,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 1175–1181, 2006.
- R. A. Abbott and P. S. W. Davies, “Habitual physical activity and physical activity intensity: their relation to body composition in 5.0–10.5-y-old children,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 285–291, 2004.
- U. Ekelund, L. B. Sardinha, S. A. Anderssen et al., “Associations between objectively assessed physical activity and indicators of body fatness in 9- to 10-y-old European children: a population-based study from 4 distinct regions in Europe (the European Youth Heart Study),” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 584–590, 2004.
- A. R. Ness, S. D. Leary, C. Mattocks et al., “Objectively measured physical activity and fat mass in a large cohort of children,” PLoS Medicine, vol. 4, no. 3, article e97, 2007.
- M. Soric and M. Misigoj-Durakovic, “Physical activity levels and estimated energy expenditure in overweight and normal-weight 11-year-old children,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 244–250, 2010.
- M. S. Treuth, D. J. Catellier, K. H. Schmitz et al., “Weekend and weekday patterns of physical activity in overweight and normal-weight adolescent girls,” Obesity, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 1782–1788, 2007.
- L. K. Byrne, K. E. Cook, H. Skouteris, and M. Do, “Parental status and childhood obesity in Australia,” International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, vol. 6, no. 5-6, pp. 415–418, 2011.
- F. G. Huffman, S. Kanikireddy, and M. Patel, “Parenthood-a contributing factor to childhood obesity,” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 2800–2810, 2010.
- L. Y. Gibson, S. M. Byrne, E. A. Davis, E. Blair, P. Jacoby, and S. R. Zubrick, “The role of family and maternal factors in childhood obesity,” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 186, no. 11, pp. 591–595, 2007.
- S. G. Trost, L. M. Kerr, D. S. Ward, and R. R. Pate, “Physical activity and determinants of physical activity in obese and non-obese children,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 822–829, 2001.
- M. S. Tremblay and J. D. Willms, “Is the Canadian childhood obesity epidemic related to physical inactivity?” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1100–1105, 2003.
- D. H. Dolinsky, R. J. N. Brouwer, K. R. Evenson, A. M. Siega-Riz, and T. Østbye, “Correlates of sedentary time and physical activity among preschool-aged children,” Preventing Chronic Disease, vol. 8, no. 6, article A131, 2011.
- J. Veitch, M. M. van Stralen, M. J. M. Chinapaw et al., “The neighborhood social environment and body mass index among youth: a mediation analysis,” The International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol. 9, article 31, 2012.
- D. Jekauc, A. K. Reimers, M. O. Wagner, and A. Woll, “Prevalence and socio-demographic correlates of the compliance with the physical activity guidelines in children and adolescents in Germany,” BMC Public Health, vol. 12, no. 1, article 714, 2012.
- M. Verloigne, W. van Lippevelde, L. Maes, J. Brug, and I. de Bourdeaudhuij, “Family- and school-based predictors of energy balance-related behaviours in children: a 6-year longitudinal study,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 202–211, 2013.
- G.R. H. Sandercock, A. Ogunleye, and C. Voss, “Screen time and physical activity in youth: thief of time or lifestyle choice?” Journal of Physical Activity and Health, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 977–984, 2012.
- S. G. Trost, D. S. Ward, S. M. Moorehead, P. D. Watson, W. Riner, and J. R. Burke, “Validity of the computer science and applications (CSA) activity monitor in children,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 629–633, 1998.
- S. G. Trost, “State of the art reviews: measurement of physical activity in children and adolescents,” American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 299–314, 2007.