- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 438364, 8 pages
Exergaming as a Strategic Tool in the Fight against Childhood Obesity: A Systematic Review
1Collective Health Program, University of Fortaleza (UNIFOR), Avenida Washington Soares, 1321 Edson Queiróz, 60.811-905 Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
2Center for Application of Information Technology, Innovation Laboratory, University of Fortaleza (UNIFOR), Avenida Washington Soares, 1321 Edson Queiróz, 60.811-905 Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
3Center for Health Sciences-Physical Education, University of Fortaleza (UNIFOR), Avenida Washington Soares, 1321 Edson Queiróz, 60.811-905 Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
4Center for Health Sciences-Occupational Therapy, University of Fortaleza (UNIFOR), Avenida Washington Soares, 1321 Edson Queiróz, 60.811-905 Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
5University of Fortaleza (UNIFOR), Avenida Washington Soares, 1321 Edson, Queiróz, 60.811-905 Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
Received 11 January 2013; Revised 20 July 2013; Accepted 5 September 2013
Academic Editor: Reza Majdzadeh
Copyright © 2013 Carminda Maria Goersch Fontenele Lamboglia et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Ray and K. R. Jat, “Effect of electronic media on children,” Indian Pediatrics, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 561–568, 2010.
- A. E. Baughcum, L. A. Chamberlin, C. M. Deeks, S. W. Powers, and R. C. Whitaker, “Maternal perceptions of overweight preschool children,” Pediatrics, vol. 106, no. 6, pp. 1380–1386, 2000.
- R. J. Hancox, B. J. Milne, and R. Poulton, “Association between child and adolescent television viewing and adult health: a longitudinal birth cohort study,” The Lancet, vol. 364, no. 9430, pp. 257–262, 2004.
- M. M. Carvalhal, M. C. Padez, P. A. Moreira, and V. M. Rosado, “Overweight and obesity related to activities in Portuguese children, 7-9 years,” European Journal of Public Health, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 42–46, 2007.
- A. C. T. Corso, G. V. Gilberto, G. M. R. Fiates, B. A. S. Schmitz, G. D. Ricardo, and F. A. G. Vasconcelos, “Fatores comportamentais associados ao sobrepeso e à obesidade em escolares do Estado de Santa Catarina,” Revista Brasileira de Estudos de População, vol. 29, no. 1, 2012.
- T. Baranowski and L. Frankel, “Let's get technical! gaming and technology for weight control and health promotion in children,” Childhood Obesity, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 34–37, 2012.
- L. S. Machado, R. M. Moraes, and F. Nunes, Abordagens Práticas de Realidade Virtual e Aumentada, Serious Games para Saúde e Treinamento Imersivo, SBC, Porto Alegre, Brazil, 2009.
- K. Johnsen, A. Raij, A. Stevens, D. S. Lind, and B. Lok, “The validity of a virtual human experience for interpersonal skills education,” in Proceedings of the 25th SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '07), pp. 1049–1058, May 2007.
- D. R. Michael and S. Chen, Serious Games: Games That Educate, Train, and Inform, Thomson, Boston, Mass, USA, 2006.
- S. J. Sinclair, P. Hingston, and M. Masek, “Considerations for the design of exergames,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques in Australia and Southeast Asia, pp. 289–296, 2007.
- C. A. O. Vaghetti and S. S. C. Botelho, “Ambientes virtuais de aprendizagem na educação física: uma revisão sobre a utilização de Exergames,” Ciências & Cognição, vol. 15, no. 1, 2010.
- E. J. Lyons, D. F. Tate, S. E. Komoski, P. M. Carr, and D. S. Ward, “Novel approaches to obesity prevention: effects of game enjoyment and game type on energy expenditure in active video games,” Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 839–848, 2012.
- K. Linde and S. N. Willich, “How objective are systematic reviews? Differences between reviews on complementary medicine,” Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 17–22, 2003.
- L. Graves, G. Stratton, N. D. Ridgers, and N. T. Cable, “Energy expenditure in adolescents playing new generation computer games,” British Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 592–594, 2008.
- C. Ni Mhurchu, R. Maddison, Y. Jiang, A. Jull, H. Prapavessis, and A. Rodgers, “Couch potatoes to jumping beans: a pilot study of the effect of active video games on physical activity in children,” International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol. 5, article 8, 2008.
- R. R. Mellecker and A. M. McManus, “Energy expenditure and cardiovascular responses to seated and active gaming in children,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 162, no. 9, pp. 886–891, 2008.
- A. E. Maloney, T. Carter Bethea, K. S. Kelsey et al., “A pilot of a video game (DDR) to promote physical activity and decrease sedentary screen time,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 2074–2080, 2008.
- D. L. Graf, L. V. Pratt, C. N. Hester, and K. R. Short, “Playing active video games increases energy expenditure in children,” Pediatrics, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 534–540, 2009.
- B. L. Haddock, S. R. Siegel, and L. D. Wikin, “The addition of a video game to stationary cycling: the impact on energy expenditure in overweight children,” The Open Sports Sciences Journal, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 42–46, 2009.
- B. W. Bailey and K. McInnis, “Energy cost of exergaming: a comparison of the energy cost of 6 forms of exergaming,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 165, no. 7, pp. 597–602, 2011.
- R. Maddison, L. Foley, C. Ni Mhurchu et al., “Effects of active video games on body composition: a randomized controlled trial,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 156–163, 2011.
- R. K. Shayne, V. A. Fogel, R. G. Miltenberger, and S. Koehler, “The effects of exergaming on physical activity in a third-grade physical education class,” Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 211–215, 2012.
- C. J. Dodd, “Energy regulation in young people,” Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 327–336, 2007.
- A. Jáuregui, S. Villalpando, E. Rangel-Baltazar, J. Castro-Hernández, Y. Lara-Zamudio, and I. Méndez-Gómez-Humarán, “The physical activity level of Mexican children decreases upon entry to elementary school,” Salud Pública de México, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 228–236, 2011.
- A. M. Toigo, “Níveis de atividade física na educação física escolar e durante o tempo livre em crianças e adolescentes,” Revista Mackenzie de Educação Física e Esporte, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 45–56, 2007.
- C. Tudor-Locke, R. P. Pangrazi, C. B. Corbin et al., “BMI-referenced standards for recommended pedometer-determined steps/day in children,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 857–864, 2004.
- J. Scott Duncan, G. Schofield, and E. K. Duncan, “Step count recommendations for children based on body fat,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 42–44, 2007.
- R. A. Fernandes, I. F. Freitas Jr., J. R. Cardoso, E. R. Vaz Ronque, M. R. Loch, and A. R. De Oliveira, “Association between regular participation in sports and leisure time behaviors in Brazilian adolescents: a cross-sectional study,” BMC Public Health, vol. 8, article 329, 2008.
- C. S. C. Rosa, K. P. Messias, R. A. Fernandes, C. B. Silva, H. L. Onteiro, and I. F. Freitas Junior, “Atividade física habitual de crianças e adolescentes mensurada por pedômetro e sua relação com índices nutricionais,” Revista Brasileira de Cineantropometria & Desempenho Humano, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 22–28, 2011.
- Instituto Do Desporto De Portugal, “Orientações da União Europeia para a actividade física: políticas recomendadas para a promoção da saúde e do bem-estar. Instituto do Desporto de Portugal,” Lisboa, Portugal, 2009, http://www.idesporto.pt/ficheiros/File/Livro_IDPfinalJan09.pdf.
- C. Buonani, R. A. Fernandes, L. S. Silveira, et al., “Prevenção da síndrome metabólica em crianças obesas: uma proposta de intervenção,” Revista Paulista de Pediatria, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 86–192, 2011.
- L. S. Poeta, M. F. S. Duarte, I. C. B. Giuliano, and J. C. Farias Júnior, “Intervenção interdisciplinar na composição corporal e em testes de aptidão física de crianças obesas,” Revista Brasileira de Cineantropometria & Desempenho Humano, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 134–143, 2012.
- C. L. Davis, N. K. Pollock, J. L. Waller, et al., “Exercise dose and diabetes risk in overweight and obese children: a randomized controlled trial,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 308, no. 11, pp. 1103–1112, 2012.
- J. Huizinga, Homo Ludens: o Jogo Como Elemento da Cultura, Perspectiva, São Paulo, Brazil, 5th edition, 2007.
- V. M. Kenski, “O impacto da mídia e das novas tecnologias de comunicação na educação física,” Revista de Educação Física, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 129–133, 1995.
- C. A. O. Vaghetti, P. N. Mustaro, and S. S. C. Botelho, “Exergames no ciberespaço: uma possibilidade para Educação Física,” X SBGames—Salvador—BA, 2011, http://www.sbgames.org/sbgames2011/proceedings/sbgames/papers/cult/full/92287_1.pdf.
- A. J. Daley, “Can exergaming contribute to improving physical activity levels and health outcomes in children?” Pediatrics, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 763–771, 2009.
- A. F. O. Baracho, F. J. Gripp, and M. R. Lima, “Os exergames e a educação física escolar na cultura digital,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 111–126, 2012.