- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 480630, 8 pages
Examining Social Influence on Participation and Outcomes among a Network of Behavioral Weight-Loss Intervention Enrollees
1Division of Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
2Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, Fay W. Boozman College of Public Health, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
3Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
4Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Received 11 February 2013; Revised 24 April 2013; Accepted 13 May 2013
Academic Editor: Sarah-Jeanne Salvy
Copyright © 2013 T. L. Carson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Centola, “The spread of behavior in an online social network experiment,” Science, vol. 329, no. 5996, pp. 1194–1197, 2010.
- N. A. Christakis and J. H. Fowler, “The collective dynamics of smoking in a large social network,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 358, no. 21, pp. 2249–2258, 2008.
- K. Glanz, B. K. Rimer, and F. M. Lewis, Health Behavior and Health Education. Theory, Research, and Practice, Wiley & Sons, San Fransisco, 2002.
- N. A. Christakis and J. H. Fowler, “The spread of obesity in a large social network over 32 years,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 4, pp. 370–379, 2007.
- D. R. Black, L. J. Gleser, and K. J. Kooyers, “A meta-analytic evaluation of couples weight-loss programs,” Health Psychology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 330–347, 1990.
- A. Gorin, N. Sherwood, R. Jeffery, S. Phelan, D. Tate, and R. Wing, “Involving support partners in obesity treatment,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 341–343, 2005.
- A. A. Gorin, R. R. Wing, J. L. Fava et al., “Weight loss treatment influences untreated spouses and the home environment: evidence of a ripple effect,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 32, pp. 1678–1684, 2008.
- R. R. Wing and R. W. Jeffery, “Benefits of recruiting participants with friends and increasing social support for weight loss and maintenance,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 132–138, 1999.
- T. M. Leahey, J. G. Larose, J. L. Fava, and R. R. Wing, “Social influences are associated with BMI and weight loss intentions in young adults,” Obesity, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1157–1162, 2011.
- T. M. Leahey, R. Kumar, B. M. Weinberg, and R. R. Wing, “Teammates and social influence affect weight loss outcomes in ateam-based weight loss competition,” Obesity, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1413–1418, 2012.
- C. A. Redding, J. S. Rossi, S. R. Rossi, W. F. Velicer, and J. O. Prochaska, “Health behavior models,” International Electronic Journal of Health Education, vol. 3, special Issue, pp. 180–193, 2000.
- S. K. Kumanyika, T. A. Wadden, J. Shults et al., “Trial of family and friend support for weight loss in African American adults,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 169, no. 19, pp. 1795–1804, 2009.
- D. S. West, T. Elaine Prewitt, Z. Bursac, and H. C. Felix, “Weight loss of black, white, and Hispanic men and women in the diabetes prevention program,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1413–1420, 2008.
- K. L. Patterson, “A longitudinal study of African American women and the maintenance of a healthy self-esteem,” Journal of Black Psychology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 307–328, 2004.
- G. D. Foster, A. P. Makris, and B. A. Bailer, “Behavioral treatment of obesity,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 82, supplement 1, pp. 230S–235S, 2005.
- R. R. Wing, “Behavioral weight control,” in Handbook of Obesity Treatment, T. A. Wadden and A. J. Stunkard, Eds., pp. 301–316, Guilford Press, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- J. K. Bartfield, V. J. Stevens, G. J. Jerome et al., “Behavioral transitions and weight change patterns within the PREMIER trial,” Obesity, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 1609–1615, 2011.
- Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group, “Achieving weight and activity goals among diabetes prevention program lifestyle participants,” Obesity Research, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 1426–1434, 2004.
- D. S. West, V. DiLillo, Z. Bursac, S. A. Gore, and P. G. Greene, “Motivational interviewing improves weight loss in women with type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 1081–1087, 2007.
- K. A. Kaiser, O. Affuso, T. M. Beasley, and D. B. Allison, “Getting carried away: a note showing baseline observation carried forward (BOCF) results can be calculated from published complete-cases results,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 886–889, 2011.
- J. Shao, D. C. Jordan, and Y. L. Pritchett, “Baseline observation carry forward: reasoning, properties, and practical issues,” Journal of Biopharmaceutical Statistics, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 672–684, 2009.
- K.-Y. Liang and S. L. Zeger, “Longitudinal data analysis using generalized linear models,” Biometrika, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 13–22, 1986.
- S. K. Kumanyika, “Obesity in minority populations: an epidemiologic assessment,” Obesity Research, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 166–182, 1994.
- J. Stevens, “Obesity and mortality in African-Americans,” Nutrition Reviews, vol. 58, no. 11, pp. 346–353, 2000.
- G. Corbie-Smith, S. B. Thomas, M. V. Williams, and S. Moody-Ayers, “Attitudes and beliefs of African Americans toward participation in medical research,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 537–546, 1999.
- Y. R. Smith, A. M. Johnson, L. A. Newman, A. Greene, T. R. B. Johnson, and J. L. Rogers, “Perceptions of clinical research participation among African American women,” Journal of Women's Health, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 423–428, 2007.
- A. K. Yancey, S. K. Kumanyika, N. A. Ponce, et al., “Population-based intervention engaging communities of color in healthy eating and active living: a review,” Preventing Chronic Disease, vol. 1, no. 1, article A09, 2004.
- J. Harvey-Berino, D. West, R. Krukowski et al., “Internet delivered behavioral obesity treatment,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 123–128, 2010.