- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 483017, 5 pages
Policy Challenges in the Fight against Childhood Obesity: Low Adherence in San Diego Area Schools to the California Education Code Regulating Physical Education
1Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, Department of Pediatrics, Rady Children's Hospital San Diego, 3020 Children's Way MC 5103, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
2Department of Pediatrics, University of California San Diego, 200 W Arbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92103, USA
Received 7 January 2013; Accepted 14 April 2013
Academic Editor: Reza Majdzadeh
Copyright © 2013 G. Consiglieri et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization, Obesity: Preventing and Managing the Global Epidemic. Report of a WHO Consultation on Obesity, 3–5 June 1997, Geneva, Switzerland, WHO/NUT/NCD 98.1, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2001.
- C. L. Ogden, M. D. Carroll, L. R. Curtin, M. A. McDowell, C. J. Tabak, and K. M. Flegal, “Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, 1999–2004,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 295, no. 13, pp. 1549–1555, 2006.
- S. E. Barlow, “Expert committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment, and treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: summary report,” Pediatrics, vol. 120, supplement 4, pp. S164–S192, 2007.
- C. L. Ogden, M. D. Carroll, L. R. Curtin, M. M. Lamb, and K. M. Flegal, “Prevalence of high body mass index in US children and adolescents, 2007-2008,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 303, no. 3, pp. 242–249, 2010.
- B. A. Spear, S. E. Barlow, C. Ervin et al., “Recommendations for treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity,” Pediatrics, vol. 120, pp. S254–S288, 2007.
- Council on Sports Medicine and Fitness and Council on School Health, “Active healthy living: prevention of childhood obesity through increased physical activity,” Pediatrics, vol. 117, no. 5, pp. 1834–1842, 2006.
- US Department of Commerce, Census Bureau. Historical statistics of the United States, colonial times to 1970. Percent of the population 3 to 34 years old enrolled in school, by race/ethnicity, sex and age: Selected years, 1980–2003, http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d04/tables/dt04_007.asp?referrer=list.
- A. L. Diamant, S. H. Babey, and J. Wolstein, Adolescent Physical Education and Physical Activity in California, UCLA Center for Health Policy Research, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, 2011.
- CDC, “Youth risk behavior surveillance–United States, 2011,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 1–162, 2012.
- P. R. Nader and National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Study of Early Child Care and Youth Development Network, “Frequency and intensity of activity of third-grade children in physical education,” Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, vol. 157, no. 2, pp. 185–190, 2003.
- S. M. Lee, C. R. Burgeson, J. E. Fulton, and C. G. Spain, “Physical education and physical activity: results from the school health policies and programs study 2006,” Journal of School Health, vol. 77, no. 8, pp. 435–463, 2007.
- Physical Activity and Health: A Report of the surgeon General, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 1996.
- California Department of Education, A Study of the Relationship Between Physical Fitness and Academic Achievement in California Using 2004 Test Results, California Department of Education, Sacramento, Calif, USA, 2005.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, The Association Between School Based Physical Activity, Including Physical Education, and Academic Performance, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2010.
- C. R. Burgeson, H. Wechsler, N. D. Brener, J. C. Young, and C. G. Spain, “Physical education and activity: results from the school health policies and programs study 2000,” Journal of School Health, vol. 71, no. 7, pp. 279–293, 2001.