- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 542736, 6 pages
Weight-Loss Interventions for Hispanic Populations: The Role of Culture
1Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research, 3800 N. Interstate Avenue Portland, OR 97227-1110, USA
2Providence Medical Center, 5050 N.E. Hoyte St. Suite 540, Portland, OR 97213, USA
Received 12 November 2012; Accepted 28 January 2013
Academic Editor: Karen J. Coleman
Copyright © 2013 Nangel M. Lindberg et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. C. Seidell, T. L. S. Visscher, and R. T. Hoogeveen, “Overweight and obesity in the mortality rate data: current evidence and research issues,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 31, supplement 11, pp. S597–S601, 1999.
- D. B. Allison, K. R. Fontaine, J. E. Manson, J. Stevens, and T. B. VanItallie, “Annual deaths attributable to obesity in the United States,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 282, no. 16, pp. 1530–1538, 1999.
- K. R. Fontaine, D. T. Redden, C. Wang, A. O. Westfall, and D. B. Allison, “Years of life lost due to obesity,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 289, no. 2, pp. 187–193, 2003.
- S. J. Olshansky, D. J. Passaro, R. C. Hershow et al., “A potential decline in life expectancy in the United States in the 21st century,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 352, no. 11, pp. 1138–1145, 2005.
- G. Maskarinec, A. Grandinetti, G. Matsuura et al., “Diabetes prevalence and body mass index differ by ethnicity: the multiethnic cohort,” Ethnicity and Disease, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 49–55, 2009.
- I. S. Okosun, Y. Liao, C. N. Rotimi, T. E. Prewitt, and R. S. Cooper, “Abdominal adiposity and clustering of multiple metabolic syndrome in White, Black and Hispanic Americans,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 263–270, 2000.
- R. B. Ervin, “Prevalence of metabolic syndrome among adults 20 years of age and over, by sex, age, race and ethnicity, and body mass index: United States, 2003–2006,” National Health Statistics Reports, no. 13, pp. 1–7, 2009.
- C. C. Wee, K. J. Mukamal, A. Huang, R. B. Davis, E. P. McCarthy, and M. A. Mittleman, “Obesity and C-reactive protein levels among white, black, and hispanic US adults,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 875–880, 2008.
- J. I. Mann, “Diet and risk of coronary heart disease and type 2 diabetes,” The Lancet, vol. 360, no. 9335, pp. 783–789, 2002.
- “US Department of Health and Human Services Office of Minority Health: Obesity and Hispanic Americans,” http://www.minorityhealth.hhs.gov/templates/content.aspx?lvl=3&lvlID=537&ID=6459.
- Q. Zhang and Y. Wang, “Socioeconomic inequality of obesity in the United States: do gender, age, and ethnicity matter?” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 1171–1180, 2004.
- J. T. Denney, P. M. Krueger, R. G. Rogers, and J. D. Boardman, “Race/ethnic and sex differential in body mass among US adults,” Ethnicity and Disease, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 389–398, 2004.
- K. M. Flegal, M. D. Carroll, R. J. Kuczmarski, and C. L. Johnson, “Overweight and obesity in the United States: prevalence and trends, 1960–1994,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 39–47, 1998.
- K. M. Flegal, M. D. Carroll, C. L. Ogden, and L. R. Curtin, “Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999–2008,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 303, no. 3, pp. 235–241, 2010.
- C. C. Cowie, K. F. Rust, E. S. Ford et al., “Full accounting of diabetes and pre-diabetes in the U.S. population in 1988–1994 and 2005-2006,” Diabetes Care, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 287–294, 2009.
- H. P. Hazuda, B. D. Mitchell, S. M. Haffner, and M. P. Stern, “Obesity in Mexican American subgroups: findings from the San Antonio heart study,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 53, no. 6, 1991.
- M. A. Winkleby, C. D. Gardner, and C. B. Taylor, “The influence of gender and socioeconomic factors on Hispanic/white differences in body mass index,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 203–211, 1996.
- E. A. Viruell-Fuentes, “Beyond acculturation: immigration, discrimination, and health research among Mexicans in the United States,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 65, no. 7, pp. 1524–1535, 2007.
- M. Lara, C. Gamboa, M. I. Kahramanian, L. S. Morales, and D. E. Hayes Bautista, “Acculturation and Latino health in the United States: a review of the literature and its sociopolitical context,” Annual Review of Public Health, vol. 26, pp. 367–397, 2005.
- M. S. Kaplan, N. Huguet, J. T. Newsom, and B. H. McFarland, “The association between length of residence and obesity among Hispanic immigrants,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 323–326, 2004.
- J. MacClancy, Consuming Culture: Why You Eat What You Eat, Chapman and Hall, London, UK, 1992.
- P. Fieldhouse, Food & Nutrition: Customs and Culture, Chapman and Hall, London, UK, 2nd edition, 1995.
- N. M. Lindberg and V. J. Stevens, “Review: weight-loss interventions with hispanic populations,” Ethnicity and Disease, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 397–402, 2007.
- B. Gratton, “Familism among the black and Mexican-American elderly: myth or reality?” Journal of Aging Studies, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 19–32, 1987.
- S. J. Schwartz, “The applicability of familism to diverse ethnic groups: a preliminary study,” Journal of Social Psychology, vol. 147, no. 2, pp. 101–118, 2007.
- N. Mier, M. G. Ory, and A. A. Medina, “Anatomy of culturally sensitive interventions promoting nutrition and exercise in hispanics: a critical examination of existing literature,” Health promotion practice, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 541–554, 2010.
- N. M. Lindberg, V. J. Stevens, S. Vega-Lopez, T. L. Kauffman, M. R. Calderon, and M. A. Cervantes, “A weight-loss intervention program designed for Mexican-American women: cultural adaptations and results,” Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 1030–1039, 2012.
- “UNAM: Biblioteca Nacional de la Medicina Tradicional Mexicana,” http://www.medicinatradicionalmexicana.unam.mx/pueblos.php?l=2&t=otomi&demanda=susto&orden=27&v=m#demanda.
- G. P. Gomez, S. J. Gonzales, R. L. Hermandez, and L. C. Ponce :, “El empacho, mal de ojo, susto, quebrada de anginas, plantas medicinales frias y calientes, y la limpia en el pueblo de Ahuatepec,” Tlahui-Medic 18, II/2004, 2003.
- R. S. Strauss and H. A. Pollack, “Epidemic increase in childhood overweight, 1986–1998,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 286, no. 22, pp. 2845–2848, 2001.
- D. S. Freedman, L. K. Khan, M. K. Serdula, C. L. Ogden, and W. H. Dietz, “Racial and ethnic differences in secular trends for childhood BMI, weight, and height,” Obesity, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 301–308, 2006.
- S. S. Rich, N. M. DiMarco, C. Huettig, E. V. Essery, E. Andersson, and C. F. Sanborn, “Perceptions of health status and play activities in parents of overweight hispanic toddlers and preschoolers,” Family and Community Health, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 130–141, 2005.
- P. B. Crawford, W. Gosliner, C. Anderson et al., “Counseling latina mothers of preschool children about weight issues: suggestions for a new framework,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 387–394, 2004.
- I. R. Contento, C. Basch, and P. Zybert, “Body image, weight, and food choices of Latina women and their young children,” Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 236–248, 2003.
- C. Batis, L. Hernandez-Barrera, S. Barquera, J. A. Rivera, and B. M. Popkin, “Food acculturation drives dietary differences among Mexicans, Mexican Americans, and Non-Hispanic Whites,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 141, no. 10, pp. 1898–1906, 2011.
- G. Juarez, B. Ferrell, and T. Borneman, “Perceptions of quality of life in Hispanic patients with cancer,” Cancer Practice, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 318–324, 1998.
- V. B. Gray, J. S. Cossman, W. L. Dodson, and S. H. Byrd, “Dietary acculturation of Hispanic immigrants in Mississippi,” Salud Publica de Mexico, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 351–360, 2005.
- E. Messer, “Hot-cold classification: theoretical and practical implications of a Mexican study,” Social Science and Medicine B, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 133–145, 1981.
- R. M. Weinick, E. A. Jacobs, L. C. Stone, A. N. Ortega, and H. Burstin, “Hispanic healthcare disparities challenging the myth of a monolithic hispanic population,” Medical Care, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 313–320, 2004.
- J. Long-Solis and L. A. Vargas, Food Culture in Mexico, Greenwood, Westport, Conn, USA, 2005.
- C. Gonzalez and I. Benady :, Traditional Dominican Cookery, Lunch Club Press, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, 2005.
- Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group, “Description of lifestyle intervention,” Diabetes Care, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 2165–2171, 2002.
- K. L. Tucker, L. A. Bianchi, J. Maras, and O. I. Bermudez, “Adaptation of a food frequency questionnaire to assess diets of Puerto Rican and non-Hispanic adults,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 148, no. 5, pp. 507–518, 1998.
- “Nutrition Quest: Block Questionnaire,” http://www.nutritionquest.com/.
- K. Fernadez, S. S. Melendez, A. Lopez et al., “Consumo diario de tortilla por familia,” http://www.lajornadadeoriente.com.mx/2009/02/20/puebla/graficas.pdf.
- L. T. Shamah, C. A. Avila, N. L. Cuevas, V. A. Chávez, M. A. Avila Arcos, and C. Fernández Mendoza, “The tortilla subsidy in Mexico: a nutritional or economic program?” Archivos Latinoamericanos de Nutricion, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 5–13, 2003.
- J. E. Cade, V. J. Burley, D. L. Warm, R. L. Thompson, and B. M. Margetts, “Food-frequency questionnaires: a review of their design, validation and utilisation,” Nutrition Research Reviews, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 5–22, 2004.
- D. Taren, M. de Tobar, C. Ritenbaugh, E. Graver, R. Whitacre, and M. Aickin, “Evaluation of the Southwest food frequency questionnaire,” Ecology of Food Nutrition, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 515–547, 2000.
- G. C. George, T. J. Milani, H. Hanss-Nuss, M. Kim, and J. H. Freeland-Graves, “Development and validation of a semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire for young adult women in the southwestern United States,” Nutrition Research, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 29–43, 2004.
- G. Bernal, M. I. Jiménez-Chafey, and M. M. Domenech Rodríguez, “Cultural adaptation of treatments: a resource for considering culture in evidence-based practice,” Professional Psychology, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 361–368, 2009.
- J. R. Parra Cardona, M. Domenech-Rodriguez, M. Forgatch et al., “Culturally adapting an evidence-based parenting intervention for Latino immigrants: the need to integrate fidelity and cultural relevance,” Family Process, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 56–72, 2012.
- N. Karanja, V. J. Stevens, J. F. Hollis, and S. K. Kumanyaki, “Stems to soulful living (Steps): a weight loss program for African-American women,” Ethnicity and Disease, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 363–371, 2002.
- C. O. Airhihenbuwa, Health and Culture: Beyond the Western Paradigm, Sage, Newbury Park, Calif, USA, 1995.
- C. O. Airhihenbuwa, S. Kumanyika, T. D. Agurs, A. Lowe, D. Saunders, and C. B. Morssink, “Cultural aspects of African American eating patterns,” Ethnicity and Health, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 245–260, 1996.
- D. C. S. James, “Factors influencing food choices, dietary intake, and nutrition-related attitudes among African Americans: application of a culturally sensitive model,” Ethnicity and Health, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 349–367, 2004.
- S. A. Murray, M. Kendall, E. Carduff et al., “Use of serial qualitative interviews to understand patients' evolving experiences and needs,” British Medical Journal, vol. 339, p. b3702, 2009.
- K. K. Marciel, L. Saiman, L. M. Quittell, K. Dawkins, and A. L. Quittner, “Cell phone intervention to improve adherence: cystic fibrosis care team, patient, and parent perspectives,” Pediatric Pulmonology, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 157–164, 2010.
- N. M. Lindberg and V. J. Stevens, “Immigration and weight gain: Mexican-American women's perspectives,” Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 155–160, 2011.