- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 567984, 5 pages
Platelet Counts and Liver Enzymes after Bariatric Surgery
1Section of Geriatrics, Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Uppsala University, Uppsala Science Park, 75185 Uppsala, Sweden
2Medical Products Agency, Uppsala, Sweden
Received 30 October 2012; Revised 14 January 2013; Accepted 16 January 2013
Academic Editor: Michel M. Murr
Copyright © 2013 Hans-Erik Johansson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Sjöström, A. K. Lindroos, M. Peltonen et al., “Lifestyle, diabetes, and cardiovascular risk factors 10 years after bariatric surgery,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, no. 26, pp. 2683–2693, 2004.
- S. E. Greenway, F. L. Greenway III, and S. Klein, “Effects of obesity surgery on non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 137, no. 10, pp. 1109–1117, 2002.
- L. Sjöström, K. Narbro, C. D. Sjöström et al., “Effects of bariatric surgery on mortality in Swedish obese subjects,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 8, pp. 741–752, 2007.
- T. D. Adams, R. E. Gress, S. C. Smith et al., “Long-term mortality after gastric bypass surgery,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 8, pp. 753–761, 2007.
- I. R. Fisch and S. H. Freedman, “Smoking, oral contraceptives, and obesity. Effects on white blood cell count,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 234, no. 5, pp. 500–506, 1975.
- M. Visser, L. M. Bouter, G. M. McQuillan, M. H. Wener, and T. B. Harris, “Elevated C-reactive protein levels in overweight and obese adults,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 282, no. 22, pp. 2131–2135, 1999.
- I. Lemieux, A. Pascot, D. Prud'homme et al., “Elevated C-reactive protein: another component of the atherothrombotic profile of abdominal obesity,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 961–967, 2001.
- M. Machado and H. Cortez-Pinto, “Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and insulin resistance,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 823–826, 2005.
- G. Marchesini and M. Babini, “Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and the metabolic syndrome,” Minerva Cardioangiologica, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 229–239, 2006.
- H. Bian, “The relationship between liver fat content and insulin resistance and beta cell function in individuals with different status of glucose metabolism,” EASD Abstract, vol. 2010, Article ID 602, 2010.
- J. B. Dixon, P. S. Bhathal, and P. E. O'Brien, “Weight loss and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: falls in gamma-glutamyl transferase concentrations are associated with histologic improvement,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 1278–1286, 2006.
- B. Andreasson, P. Johansson, and J. Samuelsson, “Essential thrombocytosis: a criteria diagnosis. Important to differentiate from reactive/secondary thrombocytosis,” Lakartidningen, vol. 106, pp. 110–113, 2009.
- A. I. Schafer, “Thrombocytosis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, no. 12, pp. 1211–1219, 2004.
- R. M. Dallal, J. Leighton, and A. Trang, “Analysis of leukopenia and anemia after gastric bypass surgery,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 164–168, 2012.
- Y. F. Liaw, D. I. Tai, C. M. Chu, and T. J. Chen, “The development of cirrhosis in patients with chronic type B hepatitis: a prospective study,” Hepatology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 493–496, 1988.
- M. Yoneda, H. Fujii, Y. Sumida et al., “Platelet count for predicting fibrosis in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 1300–1306, 2011.
- R. A. Weiner, “Surgical treatment of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease,” Digestive Diseases, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 274–279, 2010.
- I. Sakçak, M. F. Avşar, E. O. Hamamci et al., “Comparison of early and late changes in immunoglobulins and acute phase reactants after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding in patients with morbid obesity,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 610–615, 2010.
- H. E. Johansson, A. Haenni, F. Anders Karlsson et al., “Bileopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch lowers both early and late phases of glucose, insulin and proinsulin responses after meal,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 549–558, 2010.
- H.-E. Johansson, A. Haenni, M. Ohrvall, S. Magnus, and Z. Björn, “Alterations in proinsulin and insulin dynamics, HDL cholesterol and ALT after gastric bypass surgery. A 42-Months follow-up study,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 601–607, 2009.
- H. Buchwald and J. N. Buchwald, “Evolution of operative procedures for the management of morbid obesity 1950–2000,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 705–717, 2002.
- M. F. Buckley, J. W. James, D. E. Brown et al., “A novel approach to the assessment of variations in the human platelet count,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 480–484, 2000.
- Y. H. Lee and R. E. Pratley, “The evolving role of inflammation in obesity and the metabolic syndrome,” Current Diabetes Reports, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 70–75, 2005.
- B. E. Wisse, “The inflammatory syndrome: the role of adipose tissue cytokines in metabolic disorders linked to obesity,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 2792–2800, 2004.
- D. Samocha-Bonet, D. Justo, O. Rogowski et al., “Platelet counts and platelet activation markers in obese subjects,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2008, Article ID 834153, 6 pages, 2008.
- C. E. Collins and D. S. Rampton, “Platelets in inflammatory bowel disease: pathogenetic role and therapeutic implications,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 237–247, 1997.
- G. Anfossi, I. Russo, and M. Trovati, “Platelet dysfunction in central obesity,” Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 440–449, 2009.
- G. Davì, M. T. Guagnano, G. Ciabattoni et al., “Platelet activation in obese women: role of inflammation and oxidant stress,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 288, no. 16, pp. 2008–2014, 2002.
- T. Poynard, M. F. Yuen, V. Ratziu, and C. Lung Lai, “Viral hepatitis C,” The Lancet, vol. 362, no. 9401, pp. 2095–2100, 2003.