- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 616193, 9 pages
The Role of the Immune System in Obesity and Insulin Resistance
1Diabetes Research Center, Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
2Endocrine Service, Ben Taub General Hospital, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Received 29 November 2012; Accepted 20 February 2013
Academic Editor: Nicola Abate
Copyright © 2013 Payal S. Patel et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [43 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Bernard Guy-Grand, “Immunité et obésité,” Cahiers de Nutrition et de Diététique, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 155–156, 2013.
- Kohei Yuyama, Susumu Mitsutake, and Yasuyuki Igarashi, “Pathological roles of ceramide and its metabolites in metabolic syndrome and Alzheimer's disease,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids, 2013.
- Alan W. Stitt, Sarah E.J. Chambers, Christina L. O’Neill, T. Michelle O’Doherty, and Reinhold J. Medina, “Harnessing immune-related myeloid cells for therapeutic angiogenesis,” Immunobiology, 2013.
- B. Gawronska-Kozak, J. Staszkiewicz, J. M. Gimble, and H. Kirk-Ballard, “Recruitment of fat cell precursors during high fat diet in C57BL/6J mice is fat depot specific,” Obesity, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 1091–1102, 2013.
- Maria R. Bonsignore, Anne-Laure Borel, Elizabeth Machan, and Ron Grunstein, “Sleep apnoea and metabolic dysfunction,” European Respiratory Review, vol. 22, no. 129, pp. 353–364, 2013.
- M. J. Soares, V. Miller, and E. K. Calton, “Response to the letter of Kawada T on adiponectin and the metabolic syndrome,” European Journal Of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 67, no. 8, pp. 897–897, 2013.
- A S Kolyva, V Zolota, D Mpatsoulis, G Skroubis, E E Solomou, I G Habeos, S F Assimakopoulos, N Goutzourelas, D Kouretas, and C A Gogos, “The role of obesity in the immune response during sepsis,” Nutrition & Diabetes, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. e137, 2014.
- James Deer, Juraj Koska, Marlies Ozias, and Peter Reaven, “Dietary models of insulin resistance,” Metabolism, 2014.
- Lisette J. A. Kogelman, Susanna Cirera, Daria V. Zhernakova, Merete Fredholm, Lude Franke, and Haja N. Kadarmideen, “Identification of co-expression gene networks, regulatory genes and pathways for obesity based on adipose tissue RNA Sequencing in a porcine model,” Bmc Medical Genomics, vol. 7, 2014.
- Balu K. Chacko, Philip A. Kramer, Saranya Ravi, Gloria A. Benavides, Tanecia Mitchell, Brian P. Dranka, David Ferrick, Ashwani K. Singal, Scott W. Ballinger, Shannon M. Bailey, Robert W. Hardy, Jianhua Zhang, Degui Zhi, and Victor M. Darley-Usmar, “The Bioenergetic Health Index: a new concept in mitochondrial translational research,” Clinical Science, vol. 127, no. 5-6, pp. 367–373, 2014.
- Chien-Cheng Jung, Yau-Sheng Tsai, Chih-Ching Chang, Tsun-Jen Cheng, Ching-Wen Chang, Ping-Yen Liu, Yi-Jen Chiu, and Huey-Jen Su, “Allergen exposure induces adipose tissue inflammation and insulin resistance,” International Immunopharmacology, 2014.
- Derek A. Martin, Rod Taheri, Mark H. Brand, Andrew Draghi, Francisco A. Sylvester, and Bradley W. Bolling, “Anti-inflammatory activity of aronia berry extracts in murine splenocytes,” Journal of Functional Foods, vol. 8, pp. 68–75, 2014.
- Elena Ryder, Adriana Pedreañez, Renata Vargas, Caterina Peña, Erika Fernandez, María Diez-Ewald, and Jesús Mosquera, “Increased proinflammatory markers and lipoperoxidation in obese individuals: Inicial inflammatory events?,” Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome: Clinical Research & Reviews, 2014.
- Leena Pulkkinen, Marianne Lalli, Marjukka Kolehmainen, Jussi Pihlajamaki, and Matti Uusitupa, “DNA methylation in obesity and type 2 diabetes,” Annals of Medicine, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 103–113, 2014.
- Y Morimoto, S M Conroy, N J Ollberding, Y Kim, U Lim, R V Cooney, A A Franke, L R Wilkens, B Y Hernandez, M T Goodman, B E Henderson, L N Kolonel, L Le Marchand, and G Maskarinec, “Ethnic differences in serum adipokine and C-reactive protein levels: the multiethnic cohort,” International Journal of Obesity, 2014.
- Yinfang Tu, Haoyong Yu, Pin Zhang, Jianzhong Di, Xiaodong Han, Songhua Wu, Yuqian Bao, and Weiping Jia, “Decreased serum CA19-9 is associated with improvement of insulin resistance and metabolic control in patients with obesity and type 2 diabetes after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass,” Journal of Diabetes Investigation, 2014.
- Mariusz Stepien, Anna Stepien, Rafal N. Wlazel, Marek Paradowski, Maciej Banach, and Jacek Rysz, “Obesity indices and inflammatory markers in obese non-diabetic normo- and hypertensive patients: a comparative pilot study,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 13, 2014.
- Carlos M. Donado-Pestana, Thiago Belchior, William T. Festuccia, and Maria Inés Genovese, “Phenolic compounds from cambuci (Campomanesia phaea Berg.) fruit attenuate glucose intolerance and adipose tissue inflammation induced by high-fat, high-sucrose diet,” Food Research International, 2014.
- N. Bertheuil, B. Chaput, C. Ménard, A. Varin, I. Garrido, J.L. Grolleau, L. Sensébé, E. Watier, and K. Tarte, “Les cellules stromales mésenchymateuses du tissu adipeux : historique, isolement, propriétés immunomodulatrices et perspectives cliniques,” Annales de Chirurgie Plastique Esthétique, 2014.
- Zheng Li, Ya-Na Geng, Jian-Dong Jiang, and Wei-Jia Kong, “Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Activities of Berberine in the Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2014, pp. 1–12, 2014.
- Jamshid Vafaeimanesh, Akram Heidari, Marzieh Effatpanah, and Mahmoud Parham, “Serum Adiponectin Level in Diabetic Patients with and without Helicobacter pylori Infection: Is There Any Difference?,” The Scientific World Journal, vol. 2014, pp. 1–4, 2014.
- Shuqin Zhang, Hongyu Zhao, and Michael K. Ng, “Functional Module Analysis for Gene Coexpression Networks with Network Integration,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1146–1160, 2015.
- Sarah Chantler, Kasha Dickie, Lisa K. Micklesfield, and Julia H. Goedecke, “Longitudinal Changes in Body Fat and Its Distribution in Relation to Cardiometabolic Risk in Black South African Women,” Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, pp. 150827120439000, 2015.
- Fernando Mendonça, and Raquel Soares, “Obesity and cancer phenotype: Is angiogenesis a missed link?,” Life Sciences, 2015.
- Irene Lambrinoudaki, Eleni Armeni, Demetrios Rizos, Georgios Georgiopoulos, Foteini Athanasouli, Nikolaos Triantafyllou, Konstantinos Panoulis, Areti Augoulea, Maria Creatsa, Andreas Alexandrou, Maria Alevizaki, and Kimon Stamatelopoulos, “Indices of adiposity and thyroid hormones in euthyroid postmenopausal women,” European Journal Of Endocrinology, vol. 173, no. 2, pp. 237–245, 2015.
- Marie-Christine Lacroix, Monique Caillol, Didier Durieux, Régine Monnerie, Denise Grebert, Luc Pellerin, Cendrine Repond, Virginie Tolle, Philippe Zizzari, and Christine Baly, “Long-Lasting Metabolic Imbalance Related to Obesity Alters Olfactory Tissue Homeostasis and Impairs Olfactory-Driven Behaviors,” Chemical Senses, pp. bjv039, 2015.
- Masashi Inafuku, Goro Matsuzaki, and Hirosuke Oku, “Intravenous Mycobacterium Bovis Bacillus Calmette-Guerin Ameliorates Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Obese, Diabetic ob/ob Mice,” Plos One, vol. 10, no. 6, 2015.
- X Liu, J Y Huh, H Gong, J P Chamberland, M T Brinkoetter, O-P R Hamnvik, and C S Mantzoros, “Lack of mature lymphocytes results in obese but metabolically healthy mice when fed a high-fat diet,” International Journal of Obesity, 2015.
- Fabian Benencia, Stephanie Harshman, Silvana Duran-Ortiz, Ellen R. Lubbers, Edward O. List, Lara Householder, Mawadda Al-Naeeli, Xiaoyu Liang, Lonnie Welch, John J. Kopchick, and Darlene E. Berryman, “Male Bovine GH Transgenic Mice Have Decreased Adiposity With an Adipose Depot-Specific Increase in Immune Cell Populations,” Endocrinology, vol. 156, no. 5, pp. 1794–1803, 2015.
- Fabrizio Montecucco, Sebastien Lenglet, Alessandra Quercioli, Fabienne Burger, Aurelien Thomas, Estelle Lauer, Analina Raquel da Silva, Francois Mach, Nicolas Vuilleumier, Elisabetta Bobbioni-Harsch, Alain Golay, Thomas H. Schindler, and Zoltan Pataky, “Gastric bypass in morbid obese patients is associated with reduction in adipose tissue inflammation via N-oleoylethanolamide (OEA)-mediated pathways,” Thrombosis And Haemostasis, vol. 113, no. 4, pp. 838–850, 2015.
- Delphine Lacroix, Sandrine Moutel, Muriel Coupaye, Helene Huvenne, Pauline Faucher, Veronique Pelloux, Christine Rouault, Jean-Philippe Bastard, Nicolas Cagnard, Beatrice Dubern, Karine Clement, and Christine Poitou, “Metabolic and Adipose Tissue Signatures in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome: A Model of Extreme Adiposity,” Journal Of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 850–859, 2015.
- Maria Razzoli, Jacob McCallum, Allison Gurney, William C. Engeland, and Alessandro Bartolomucci, “Chronic stress aggravates glucose intolerance in leptin receptor-deficient (db/db) mice,” Genes & Nutrition, vol. 10, no. 3, 2015.
- Christopher T. Aquina, Aaron S. Rickles, Christian P. Probst, Kristin N. Kelly, Andrew-Paul Deeb, John R. T. Monson, and Fergal J. Fleming, “Visceral Obesity, Not Elevated BMI, Is Strongly Associated With Incisional Hernia After Colorectal Surgery,” Diseases Of The Colon & Rectum, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 220–227, 2015.
- Miriam Ayuso, Almudena Fernandez, Yolanda Nunez, Rita Benitez, Beatriz Isabel, Carmen Barragan, Ana Isabel Fernandez, Ana Isabel Rey, Juan F. Medrano, Angela Canovas, Antonio Gonzalez-Bulnes, Clemente Lopez-Bote, and Cristina Ovilo, “Comparative Analysis of Muscle Transcriptome between Pig Genotypes Identifies Genes and Regulatory Mechanisms Associated to Growth, Fatness and Metabo,” Plos One, vol. 10, no. 12, 2015.
- Y. Bai, and Q. Sun, “Macrophage recruitment in obese adipose tissue,” Obesity Reviews, 2015.
- Salvatore Chirumbolo, “The Role of Vitamin D Towards Immune Tolerance in white Adipose Tissue (WAT),” Endocrine Metabolic & Immune Disorders-Drug Targets, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 277–287, 2015.
- Ed Wilson Santos, Dalila Cunha de Oliveira, Araceli Hastreiter, Jackeline Soares de Oliveira Beltran, Marcelo Macedo Rogero, Ricardo Ambrósio Fock, and Primavera Borelli, “High-fat diet or low-protein diet changes peritoneal macrophages function in mice,” Nutrire, vol. 41, no. 1, 2016.
- Jingjing Wang, Huang Tang, Xiaoxin Wang, Xu Zhang, Chenhong Zhang, Menghui Zhang, Yufeng Zhao, Liping Zhao, and Jian Shen, “The structural alteration of gut microbiota in low-birth-weight mice undergoing accelerated postnatal growth,” Scientific Reports, vol. 6, 2016.
- J. Carlton Johnny, and N. Anuratha, “Study of lipid status in the euglycemic offsprings of diabetic parents with sex, age matched controls among South Indian population,” Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome: Clinical Research & Reviews, 2016.
- J. Kim, E-Y Kwon, S. Park, J-R Kim, S-w Choi, M-S Choi, and S-J Kim, “Integrative systems analysis of diet-induced obesity identified a critical transition in the transcriptomes of the murine liver and epididymal white a,” International Journal Of Obesity, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 338–345, 2016.
- Chia-Chien Hsieh, and Yu-Shan Huang, “Aspirin Breaks the Crosstalk between 3T3-L1 Adipocytes and 4T1 Breast Cancer Cells by Regulating Cytokine Production,” Plos One, vol. 11, no. 1, 2016.
- Catherine J. Andersen, Kelsey E. Murphy, and Maria Luz Fernandez, “Impact of Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome on Immunity,” Advances In Nutrition, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 66–75, 2016.
- Mette J. Jacobsen, Caroline M. Junker Mentzel, Ann Sofie Olesen, Thierry Huby, Claus B. Jørgensen, Romain Barrès, Merete Fredholm, and David Simar, “Altered Methylation Profile of Lymphocytes Is Concordant with Perturbation of Lipids Metabolism and Inflammatory Response in Obesity,” Journal of Diabetes Research, vol. 2016, pp. 1–11, 2016.