- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 618056, 13 pages
International Differences in the Links between Obesity and Physiological Dysregulation: The United States, England, and Taiwan
1Office of Population Research, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544, USA
2Davis School of Gerontology, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
Received 2 November 2012; Accepted 8 April 2013
Academic Editor: David Allison
Copyright © 2013 Sarinnapha Vasunilashorn et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Deitel, “Overweight and obesity worldwide now estimated to involve 1.7 Billion people,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 329–330, 2003.
- P. T. James, “Obesity: the worldwide epidemic,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 276–280, 2004.
- P. T. James, R. Leach, E. Kalamara, and M. Shayeghi, “The worldwide obesity epidemic,” Obesity Research, vol. 9, supplement 4, pp. 228–233, 2001.
- B. M. Popkin and C. M. Doak, “The obesity epidemic is a worldwide phenomenon,” Nutrition Reviews, vol. 56, no. 4 I, pp. 106–114, 1998.
- M. Eliasson, B. Lindahl, V. Lundberg, and B. Stegmayr, “Diabetes and obesity in Northern Sweden: occurrence and risk factors for stroke and myocardial infarction.,” Scandinavian journal of public health, vol. 61, pp. 70–77, 2003.
- H. B. Hubert, M. Feinleib, P. M. McNamara, and W. P. Castelli, “Obesity as an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease: a 26-year follow-up of participants in the Framingham Heart Study,” Circulation, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 968–977, 1983.
- P. M. McKeigue, B. Shah, and M. G. Marmot, “Relation of central obesity and insulin resistance with high diabetes prevalence and cardiovascular risk in South Asians,” The Lancet, vol. 337, no. 8738, pp. 382–386, 1991.
- O. R. Moon, N. S. Kim, S. M. Jang, T. H. Yoon, and S. O. Kim, “The relationship between body mass index and the prevalence of obesity-related diseases based on the 1995 National Health Interview Survey in Korea,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 191–196, 2002.
- A. Must, J. Spadano, E. H. Coakley, A. E. Field, G. Colditz, and W. H. Dietz, “The disease burden associated with overweight and obesity,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 282, no. 16, pp. 1523–1529, 1999.
- R. E. Patterson, L. L. Frank, A. R. Kristal, and E. White, “A comprehensive examination of health conditions associated with obesity in older adults,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 385–390, 2004.
- S. U. Raymond, S. Leeder, and H. M. Greenberg, “Obesity and cardiovascular disease in developing countries: a growing problem and an economic threat,” Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 111–116, 2006.
- S. Yusuf, S. Hawken, S. Ôunpuu et al., “Obesity and the risk of myocardial infarction in 27 000 participants from 52 countries: a case-control study,” The Lancet, vol. 366, no. 9497, pp. 1640–1649, 2005.
- Y. Winter, S. Rohrmann, J. Linseisen et al., “Contribution of obesity and abdominal fat mass to risk of stroke and transient ischemic attacks,” Stroke, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 3145–3151, 2008.
- S. Al Snih, K. J. Ottenbacher, K. S. Markides, Y. F. Kuo, K. Eschbach, and J. S. Goodwin, “The effect of obesity on disability vs mortality in older Americans,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 167, no. 8, pp. 774–780, 2007.
- D. E. Alley and V. W. Chang, “The changing relationship of obesity and disability, 1988–2004,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 298, no. 17, pp. 2020–2027, 2007.
- K. R. Jenkins, “Obesity's effects on the onset of functional impairment among older adults,” Gerontologist, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 206–216, 2004.
- A. H. Mokdad, E. S. Ford, B. A. Bowman et al., “Prevalence of obesity, diabetes, and obesity-related health risk factors, 2001,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 289, no. 1, pp. 76–79, 2003.
- S. Stenholm, P. Sainio, T. Rantanen et al., “High body mass index and physical impairments as predictors of walking limitation 22 years later in adult Finns,” Journals of Gerontology A Biological Sciences Medical Sciences, vol. 62, no. 8, pp. 859–865, 2007.
- P. T. James, N. Rigby, and R. Leach, “The obesity epidemic, metabolic syndrome and future prevention strategies,” European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 3–8, 2004.
- P. T. Katzmarzyk, T. S. Church, I. Janssen, R. Ross, and S. N. Blair, “Metabolic syndrome, obesity, and mortality: impact of cardiorespiratory fitness,” Diabetes Care, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 391–397, 2005.
- A. Sbarbati, F. Osculati, D. Silvagni et al., “Obesity and inflammation: evidence for an elementary lesion,” Pediatrics, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 220–223, 2006.
- R. Stienstra, C. Duval, M. Müller, and S. Kersten, “PPARs, obesity, and inflammation,” PPAR Research, vol. 2007, Article ID 95974, 10 pages, 2007.
- I. Baik, A. Ascherio, E. B. Rimm et al., “Adiposity and mortality in men,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 152, no. 3, pp. 264–271, 2000.
- J. L. Locher, D. L. Roth, C. S. Ritchie et al., “Body mass index, weight loss, and mortality in community-dwelling older adults,” Journals of Gerontology A, vol. 62, no. 12, pp. 1389–1392, 2007.
- K. F. Adams, A. Schatzkin, T. B. Harris, et al., “Overweight, obesity, and mortality in a large prospective cohort of persons 50 to 71 years old,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 355, no. 8, pp. 763–778, 2006.
- D. E. Alley, J. Lloyd, and M. Shardell, “Can obesity account for cross-national differences in life expectancy trends?” in International Differences in Mortality at Older Ages: Dimensions and Sources, E. M. Crimmins, S. H. Preston, and B. Cohen, Eds., pp. 164–192, The National Academies Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2011.
- A. M. Prentice, “The emerging epidemic of obesity in developing countries,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 93–99, 2006.
- R. W. Fogel, “Changes in the physiology of aging during the twentieth century,” NBER Working Paper W11233, 2005.
- R. W. Fogel and D. L. Costa, “A theory of technophysio evolution, with some implications for forecasting population, health care costs, and pension costs,” Demography, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 49–66, 1997.
- J. Banks, M. Kumari, J. P. Smith, and P. Zaninotto, “What explains the American disadvantage in health compared with the English? the case of diabetes,” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 259–264, 2012.
- I. Lisko, K. Tianien, S. Stenholm, T. Luukkaala, A. Hervonen, and M. Jylha, “Body mass index, waist circumference, and waist-to-hip ratio as predictors of mortality in nonagenarians: the Vitality 90+ Study,” Journals of Gerontology A Biological Sciences Medical Sciences, vol. 66, no. 11, pp. 1244–1250, 2011.
- T. L. S. Visscher, J. C. Seidell, A. Molarius, D. van der Kuip, A. Hofman, and J. C. M. Witteman, “A comparison of body mass index, waist-hip ratio and waist circumference as predictors of all-cause mortality among the elderly: the Rotterdam study,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 1730–1735, 2001.
- T. Andreyeva, P.-C. Michaud, and A. van Soest, “Obesity and health in Europeans aged 50 years and older,” Public Health, vol. 121, no. 7, pp. 497–509, 2007.
- S. M. Grundy, “Obesity, metabolic syndrome, and cardiovascular disease,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 2595–2600, 2004.
- M. Cesari, S. B. Kritchevsky, R. N. Baumgartner et al., “Sarcopenia, obesity, and inflammation—results from the Trial of Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibition and Novel Cardiovascular Risk Factors study,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 428–434, 2005.
- J. Banks, M. Marmot, Z. Oldfield, and J. P. Smith, “Disease and disadvantage in the United States and in England,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 295, no. 17, pp. 2037–2045, 2006.
- J. Banks, A. Muriel, and J. P. Smith, “Disease prevalence, disease incidence, and mortality in the United States and in England.,” Demography, vol. 47, no. 1, supplement, pp. S211–S231, 2010.
- M. L. Martinson, J. O. Teitler, and N. E. Reichman, “Health across the life span in the United States and England,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 173, no. 8, pp. 858–865, 2011.
- E. Crimmins, J. K. Kim, and S. Vasunilashorn, “Biodemography: new approaches to understanding trends and differences in population health and mortality,” Demography, vol. 47, no. 1, supplement, pp. S41–S64, 2010.
- S. L. Reynolds, A. Hagedorn, J. Yeom, Y. Saito, E. Yokoyama, and E. M. Crimmins, “A tale of two countries-the United States and Japan: are differences in health due to differences in overweight?” Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 280–290, 2008.
- J. Yeom, J. K. Kim, and E. Crimmins, “Factors associated with body mass index (BMI) among older adults: a comparison study of the US, Japan, and Korea,” Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, vol. 29, pp. 1479–1500, 2009.
- M. Marmot, J. Banks, R. Blundell, C. Lessof, and J. Nazroo, Health, Wealth and Lifestyles of the Older Population in England: ELSA 2002, Institute for Fiscal Studies, London, UK, 2003.
- E. Crimmins, S. Vasunilashorn, J. K. Kim, and D. Alley, “Chapter 5 biomarkers related to aging in human populations,” Advances in Clinical Chemistry, vol. 46, pp. 161–216, 2008.
- R. J. Garrison, P. W. Wilson, and W. P. Castelli, “Obesity and lipoprotein cholesterol in the Framingham Offspring Study,” Metabolism, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 1053–1060, 1980.
- E. M. Crimmins, S. Vasunilashorn, J. K. Kim, A. Hagedorn, and Y. Saito, “A comparison of biological risk factors in two populations: the United States and Japan,” Population and Development Review, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 457–482, 2008.
- A. R. Folsom, S. A. Kaye, T. A. Sellers et al., “Body fat distribution and 5-year risk of death in older women,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 269, no. 4, pp. 483–487, 1993.
- E. B. Rimm, M. J. Stampfer, E. Giovannucci et al., “Body size and fat distribution as predictors of coronary heart disease among middle-aged and older US men,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 141, no. 12, pp. 1117–1127, 1995.
- N. Goldman, D. A. Glei, Y.-H. Lin, and M. Weinstein, “Improving mortality prediction using biosocial surveys,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 169, no. 6, pp. 769–779, 2009.
- International Obesity Task Force, The Asia-Pacific Perspective: Redefining Obesity and Its Treatment, Health Communications Australia Pty Limited, 2000.
- T. E. Seeman, E. Crimmins, M. H. Huang et al., “Cumulative biological risk and socio-economic differences in mortality: MacArthur Studies of Successful Aging,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 1985–1997, 2004.
- N. F. Chu, “Prevalence of obesity in Taiwan,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 271–274, 2005.
- L. Cordain, S. B. Eaton, A. Sebastian et al., “Origins and evolution of the Western diet: health implications for the 21st century,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 341–354, 2005.
- E. M. Crimmins, K. Garcia, and J. K. Kim, “Are international differences in health similar to international differences in life expectancy,” in International Differences in Mortality at Older Ages, E. M. Crimmins, S. H. Preston, and B. Cohen, Eds., pp. 68–102, National Academies Press, 2011.
- J. C. K. Wells, T. J. Cole, D. Bruner, and P. Treleaven, “Body shape in American and British adults: between-country and inter-ethnic comparisons,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 152–159, 2008.
- I. J. Perry, S. G. Wannamethee, M. K. Walker, A. G. Thomson, P. H. Whincup, and A. G. Shaper, “Prospective study of risk factors for development of non-insulin dependent diabetes in middle aged British men,” British Medical Journal, vol. 310, no. 6979, pp. 560–564, 1995.
- M. B. Schulze, C. Heidemann, A. Schienkiewitz, M. M. Bergmann, K. Hoffmann, and H. Boeing, “Comparison of anthropometric characteristics in predicting the incidence of type 2 diabetes in the EPIC-Potsdam study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 1921–1923, 2006.
- I. Janssen, P. T. Katzmarzyk, R. Ross, et al., “Waist circumference and not body mass index explains obesity-related health risk,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 379–384, 2004.