- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 628428, 6 pages
Measuring Body Composition in Individuals with Intellectual Disability: A Scoping Review
Department of Human Kinetics, St. Francis Xavier University, P.O. Box 5000, Antigonish, NS, Canada B2G 2W5
Received 29 November 2012; Revised 3 March 2013; Accepted 19 March 2013
Academic Editor: Analiza M. Silva
Copyright © 2013 Amanda Faith Casey. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Yamaki, “Body weight status among adults with intellectual disability in the community,” Mental Retardation, vol. 43, pp. 1–10, 2005.
- D. W. Haslam and W. P. James, “Obesity,” The Lancet, vol. 366, pp. 1197–1209, 2005.
- D. Haslam, N. Sattar, and M. Lean, “ABC of obesity: obesity-time to wake up,” British Medical Journal, vol. 333, pp. 640–642, 2009.
- D. P. Williams, S. B. Going, T. G. Lohman, et al., “Body fatness and risk for elevated blood pressure, total cholesterol, and serum lipoprotein ratios in children and adolescents,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 82, pp. 358–363, 1992.
- World Health Organization, Physical Status: The Use and Interpretation of Anthropometry, WHO Technical Report Series, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 1995.
- T. S. de Lopes, D. M. Ferreira, R. A. Pereira, G. V. da Veiga, and V. M. R. de Marins, “Assessment of anthropometric indexes of children and adolescents with Down syndrome,” Jornal de Pediatria, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 350–356, 2008.
- S. B. Heymsfield, T. G. Lohman, Z. Wang, and S. B. Going, Human Body Composition, Human Kinetics, Champaign, Ill, USA, 2005.
- R. Y. T. Sung, P. Lau, P. K. W. Lam, and E. A. S. Nelson, “Measurement of body fat using legtoleg impedance,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 85, pp. 263–267, 2001.
- J. Eisenkölbl, M. Kartasurya, and K. Widhalm, “Underestimation of percentage fat mass measured by bioelectrical impedance analysis compared to dual energy X-ray absorptiometry method in obese children,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 423–429, 2001.
- S. Lazzer, G. Bedogni, F. Agosti, A. de Col, D. Mornati, and A. Sartorio, “Comparison of dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry, air displacement plethysmography and bioelectrical impedance analysis for the assessment of body composition in severely obese Caucasian children and adolescents,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 918–924, 2008.
- P. Deurenberg, “Limitations of the bioelectrical impedance method for the assessment of body fat in severe obesity,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 449–452, 1996.
- A. F. Casey and R. Rasmussen, “Reduction measures and percent body fat in individuals with intellectual disabilities: a scoping review,” Disabil Health, vol. 6, pp. 2–7, 2013.
- D. Levac, H. Colquhoun, and K. K. O'Brien, “Scoping studies: advancing the methodology,” Implementation Science, vol. 5, pp. 65–69, 2010.
- H. Arksey and L. O'Malley, “Scoping studies: towards a methodological framework,” International Journal of Social Research Methodology, vol. 8, pp. 19–32, 2005.
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilitie, Intellectual Disability, 2011, http://www.aaidd.org/content_96.cfm?navID=20.
- R. Rieken, J. V. B. Goudoever, H. Schierbeek et al., “Measuring body composition and energy expenditure in children with severe neurologic impairment and intellectual disability,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 94, pp. 759–766, 2011.
- V. A. Temple, J. W. Walkley, and K. Greenway, “Body mass index as an indicator of adiposity among adults with intellectual disability,” Journal of Intellectual and Developmental Disability, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 116–120, 2010.
- C. J. F. Verstraelen, M. A. Maaskant, A. G. M. van Knijff-Raeven, L. M. G. Curfs, and H. M. J. van Schrojenstein Lantman-de Valk, “Weighting the weights: agreement among anthropometric indicators identifying the weight status of people with intellectual disabilities,” Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 307–313, 2009.
- A. Waninge, W. van der Weide, I. J. Evenhuis, R. van Wijck, and C. P. van der Schans, “Feasibility and reliability of body composition measurements in adults with severe intellectual and sensory disabilities,” Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 377–388, 2009.
- A. Gonzalez-Aguero, G. Vicente-Rodriguez, I. Ara, L. A. Moreno, and J. A. Casajus, “Accuracy of prediction equations to assess percentage of body fat in children and adolescents with Down syndrome compared to air displacement plethysmography,” Research in Developmental Disabilities, vol. 32, pp. 1764–1769, 2011.
- P. C. Usera, J. T. Foley, and J. Yun, “Cross-validation of field-based assessments of body composition for individuals with Down syndrome,” Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 198–206, 2005.
- A. S. Jackson and M. L. Pollock, “Generalized equations for predicting body density of men,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 40, pp. 497–504, 1978.
- L. E. Kelly, J. H. Rimmer, and J. Rosentswieg, “Accuracy of anthropometric equations for estimating body composition of mentally retarded adults,” American Journal of Mental Deficiency, vol. 91, no. 6, pp. 626–632, 1987.
- T. G. Lohman, “Skinfolds and body density and their relation to body fatness: a review,” American Journal of Human Biology, vol. 53, pp. 181–225, 1981.
- A. S. Jackson, M. L. Pollock, and A. Ward, “Generalized equations for predicting body density of women,” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 12, pp. 175–181, 1980.
- J. V. G. A. Durnin and J. Womersley, “Body fat assessed from total body density and its estimation from skinfold thickness: measurements on 481 men and women aged from 16 to 72 years,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 77–97, 1974.
- M. J. Gurka, M. N. Kuperminc, M. G. Busby et al., “Assessment and correction of skinfold thickness equations in estimating body fat in children with cerebral palsy,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. e35–e41, 2010.
- P. B. Pencharz and M. Azcue, “Use of bioelectrical impedance analysis measurements in the clinical management of malnutrition,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 64, supplement 3, pp. 485S–488S, 1996.
- M. H. Slaughter, T. G. Lohman, R. A. Boileau et al., “Skinfold equations for estimations of body fatness in children and youth,” Human Biology, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 709–723, 1988.
- J. L. Johnston, M. S. Leong, E. G. Checkland, P. C. Zuberbuhler, P. R. Conger, and H. A. Quinney, “Body fat assessed from body density and estimated from skinfold thickness in normal children and children with cystic fibrosis,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 1362–1366, 1988.
- C. D. G. Brook, “Determination of body composition of children from skinfold measurements,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 46, pp. 182–184, 1971.
- Y. Schutz, U. U. Kyle, and C. Pichard, “Fat-free mass index and fat mass index percentiles in Caucasians aged 18–98 years,” International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders, vol. 26, pp. 953–960, 2006.
- S. Zhu, Z. Wang, S. Heshka, M. Heo, M. S. Faith, and S. B. Heymsfield, “Waist circumference and obesity-associated risk factors among whites in the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: clinical action thresholds,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 743–749, 2002.
- K. H. Pitetti and D. M. Tan, “Effects of a minimally supervised exercise program for mentally retarded adults,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 594–601, 1991.
- M. A. McCrory, T. D. Gomez, E. M. Bernauer, and P. A. Mole, “Evaluation of a new air displacement plethysmograph for measuring human body composition,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1686–1691, 1995.
- J. Hosking, B. S. Metcalf, A. N. Jeffery, L. D. Voss, and T. J. Wilkin, “Validation of foot-to-foot bioelectrical impedance analysis with dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry in the assessment of body composition in young children: the EarlyBird cohort,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 96, no. 6, pp. 1163–1168, 2006.
- B. M. Prior, K. J. Cureton, C. M. Modlesky et al., “In vivo validation of whole body composition estimates from dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 623–630, 1997.
- C. M. Avesani, S. A. Draibe, M. A. Kamimura et al., “Assessment of body composition by dual energy X-ray absorptiometry, skinfold thickness and creatinine kinetics in chronic kidney disease patients,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 2289–2295, 2004.