- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 638154, 9 pages
Association of Obesity with Proteasomal Gene Polymorphisms in Children
1Faculty of Medicine, University of Latvia, Sarlotes Street 1a, Riga 1001, Latvia
2Institute of Biology, University of Latvia, Miera Street 3, Salaspils 2169, Latvia
3Institute of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, University of Latvia, No. 4 Ojara Vaciesa Street, Riga 1004, Latvia
Received 17 June 2013; Revised 29 October 2013; Accepted 22 November 2013
Academic Editor: Michel M. Murr
Copyright © 2013 Sarmite Kupca et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. de Onis, M. Blössner, and E. Borghi, “Global prevalence and trends of overweight and obesity among preschool children,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 1257–1264, 2010.
- F. Branca, F. N. H, and T. Lobstein, The Challenge of Obesity in the WHO European Region and the Strategies for Response, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2007.
- B. Velika, I. Pudule, and D. Grinberga, Bērnu Antorpometrisko Parametru un Skolu Vides Petijums Latvija (Children Anthropometric Parameters and School Environmental Study in Latvia ), Economic Center of Health, Riga, Latvia, 2011.
- P. Russo, F. Lauria, and A. Siani, “Genetic genetic factors,” in Epidemiology of Obesity in Children and Adolescents: Prevalence and Etiology, L. A. M. Aznar, Ed., p. 1, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2011.
- D. M. Mutch and K. Clément, “Unraveling the genetics of human obesity,” PLoS Genetics, vol. 2, no. 12, p. e188, 2006.
- I. S. Farooqi and S. O'Rahilly, “Genetic factors in human obesity,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 8, supplement 1, pp. 37–40, 2007.
- F. Kaufman, “Type 2 diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents: the new epidemic,” in Obesity in Childhood and Adolescence, W. Keiss, C. Marcus, and M. Wabitsch, Eds., pp. 183–184, Karger, Hillside, NJ, USA, 2004.
- C. de Luca and J. M. Olefsky, “Stressed out about obesity and insulin resistance,” Nature Medicine, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 41–42, 2006.
- D. Cahill, “Obesity and PCOS,” in Obesity and Diabetes, A. H. Barnet and K. Sudesh, Eds., pp. 248–249, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2009.
- T. Sjakste, I. Poudziunas, E. Ninio et al., “SNPs of PSMA6 gene—investigation of possible association with myocardial infarction and type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Genetika, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 553–559, 2007.
- J. Wang and M. A. Maldonado, “The ubiquitin-proteasome system and its role in inflammatory and autoimmune diseases,” Cellular & Molecular Immunology, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 255–261, 2006.
- J. Golab, T. M. Bauer, V. Daniel, and C. Naujokat, “Role of the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway in the diagnosis of human diseases,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 340, no. 1-2, pp. 27–40, 2004.
- S. Rome, E. Meugnier, and H. Vidal, “The ubiquitin-proteasome pathway is a new partner for the control of insulin signaling,” Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 249–254, 2004.
- T. Otoda, T. Takamura, H. Misu, et al., “Proteasome dysfunction mediates obesity-induced endoplasmic reticulum stress and insulin resistance in the liver,” Diabetes, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 811–824, 2013.
- H. Wang, M. Jiang, H. Zhu, et al., “Quantitative assessment of the influence of PSMA6 variant (rs1048990) on coronary artery disease risk,” Molecular Biology Reports, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 1035–1041, 2013.
- S. Ikeda, N. Tanaka, T. Arai, K. Chida, M. Muramatsu, and M. Sawabe, “Polymorphisms of LTA, LGALS2, and PSMA6 genes and coronary atherosclerosis: a pathological study of 1503 consecutive autopsy cases,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 221, no. 2, pp. 458–460, 2012.
- M. G. Heckman, A. Soto-Ortolaza, N. Diehl, et al., “Genetic variants associated with myocardial infarction in the PSMA6 gene and Chr9p21 are also associated with ischaemic stroke,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 300–308, 2013.
- J. Liu, X. Yuan, J. Liu, et al., “Validation of the association between PSMA6 -8 C/G polymorphism and type 2 diabetes mellitus in Chinese Dongxiang and Han populations,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 295–301, 2012.
- W. L. Gerards, W. W. de Jong, H. Bloemendal, and W. Boelens, “The human proteasomal subunit HsC8 induces ring formation of other α-type subunits,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 275, no. 1, pp. 113–121, 1998.
- M. de Onis, A. W. Onyango, E. Borghi, A. Siyam, C. Nishida, and J. Siekmann, “Development of a WHO growth reference for school-aged children and adolescents,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 85, no. 9, pp. 660–667, 2007.
- C. I. Vogel, B. Greene, A. Scherag et al., “Non-replication of an association of CTNNBL1 polymorphisms and obesity in a population of Central European ancestry,” BMC Medical Genetics, vol. 10, p. 14, 2009.
- A. Hinney, T. T. Nguyen, A. Scherag et al., “Genome Wide Association (GWA) study for early onset extreme obesity supports the role of fat mass and obesity associated gene (FTO) variants,” PLoS ONE, vol. 2, no. 12, Article ID e1361, 2007.
- I. Trapiņa, I. Rumba-Rozenfelde, N. Sjakste, J. Sokolovska, O. Sugoka, and T. Sjakste, “Association study of genetic variants in the 14q11-14q13 proteasomal genes cluster with juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA) in Latvian population,” Proceedings of the Latvian Academy of Sciences B, vol. 63, no. 4-5, pp. 214–221, 2009.
- K. Sakamoto, Y. Sato, T. Shinka et al., “Proteasome subunits mRNA expressions correlate with male BMI: implications for a role in obesity,” Obesity, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 1044–1049, 2009.
- D. M. Lloyd-Jones, B. Nam, R. B. D'Agostino Sr. et al., “Parental cardiovascular disease as a risk factor for cardiovascular disease in middle-aged adults: a prospective study of parents and offspring,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 291, no. 18, pp. 2204–2211, 2004.
- M. K. Jensen, S. E. Chiuve, E. B. Rimm et al., “Obesity, behavioral lifestyle factors, and risk of acute coronary events,” Circulation, vol. 117, no. 24, pp. 3062–3069, 2008.
- J. L. Baker, L. W. Olsen, and T. I. A. Sørensen, “Childhood body-mass index and the risk of coronary heart disease in adulthood,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 23, pp. 2329–2337, 2007.
- L. G. Andersen, L. Ängquist, J. Eriksson, et al., “Birth weight, childhood body mass index and risk of coronary heart disease in adults: combined historical cohort studies,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, Article ID e14126, 2010.
- O. Alsmadi, P. Muiya, H. Khalak et al., “Haplotypes encompassing the KIAA0391 and PSMA6 gene cluster confer a genetic link for myocardial infarction and coronary artery disease,” Annals of Human Genetics, vol. 73, part 5, pp. 475–483, 2009.
- B. Xi, Y. Shen, M. Zhang et al., “The common rs9939609 variant of the fat mass and obesity-associated gene is associated with obesity risk in children and adolescents of Beijing, China,” BMC Medical Genetics, vol. 11, no. 1, p. 107, 2010.
- S. M. Grundy, “Obesity, metabolic syndrome, and cardiovascular disease,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 2595–2600, 2004.