- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 643530, 7 pages
The Impact of Sleeve Gastrectomy on Hyperlipidemia: A Systematic Review
1Department of General Surgery, Bahrain Defense Force Hospital, Off Waly Alahed Avenue, P.O. Box 28743, West Riffa, Bahrain
2Medical Education and Research Unit, Department of Community Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Received 9 July 2013; Revised 5 September 2013; Accepted 5 September 2013
Academic Editor: B. J. Ammori
Copyright © 2013 Khalid Al Khalifa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. S. Hess and D. W. Hess, “Biliopancreatic diversion with a duodenal switch,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 267–282, 1998.
- E. Akkary, A. Duffy, and R. Bell, “Deciphering the sleeve: technique, indications, efficacy, and safety of sleeve gastrectomy,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1323–1329, 2008.
- S. E. Greenway, F. L. Greenway III, and S. Klein, “Effects of obesity surgery on non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 137, no. 10, pp. 1109–1117, 2002.
- G. Silecchia, C. Boru, A. Pecchia et al., “Effectiveness of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (first stage of biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch) on co-morbidities in super-obese high-risk patients,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1138–1144, 2006.
- S. Chiu, D. W. Birch, X. Shi, A. M. Sharma, and S. Karmali, “Effect of sleeve gastrectomy on gastroesophageal reflux disease: a systematic review,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 510–515, 2011.
- R. S. Gill, D. W. Birch, X. Shi, A. M. Sharma, and S. Karmali, “Sleeve gastrectomy and type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 707–713, 2010.
- T. A. Kotchen, “Obesity-related hypertension: epidemiology, pathophysiology, and clinical management,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 1170–1178, 2010.
- K. Sarkhosh, D. W. Birch, X. Shi, R. S. Gill, and S. Karmali, “The impact of sleeve gastrectomy on hypertension: a systematic review,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 22, pp. 832–837, 2012.
- M. Alamo, M. Sepúlveda, J. Gellona, M. Herrera, C. Astorga, and C. Manterola, “Sleeve gastrectomy with jejunal bypass for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus in patients with body mass index <35 kg/m2. A Cohort Study,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 22, pp. 1097–1103, 2012.
- A. D. Karelis, D. H. St-Pierre, F. Conus, R. Rabasa-Lhoret, and E. T. Poehlman, “Metabolic and body composition factors in subgroups of obesity: what do we know?” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 2569–2575, 2004.
- S. M. Grundy, “Atherogenic dyslipidemia: lipoprotein abnormalities and implications for therapy,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 45B–52B, 1995.
- M. Vila, O. Ruíz, M. Belmonte et al., “Changes in lipid profile and insulin resistance in obese patients after Scopinaro biliopancreatic diversion,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 299–306, 2009.
- N. T. Nguyen, E. Varela, A. Sabio, C.-L. Tran, M. Stamos, and S. E. Wilson, “Resolution of hyperlipidemia after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 203, no. 1, pp. 24–29, 2006.
- H. Buchwald, Y. Avidor, E. Braunwald et al., “Bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 292, no. 14, pp. 1724–1737, 2004.
- J. P. Higgins and S. Green, Eds., Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions, John Wiley & Sons, London, UK, 2008.
- F. Abbatini, M. Rizzello, G. Casella et al., “Long-term effects of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass, and adjustable gastric banding on type 2 diabetes,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1005–1010, 2010.
- E. R. Atkins, D. B. Preen, C. Jarman, and L. D. Cohen, “Improved obesity reduction and co-morbidity resolution in patients treated with 40-french bougie versus 50-french bougie four years after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. Analysis of 294 patients,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 97–104, 2012.
- D. Benaiges, A. Goday, J. M. Ramon, E. Hernandez, M. Pera, and J. F. Cano, “Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and laparoscopic gastric bypass are equally effective for reduction of cardiovascular risk in severely obese patients at one year of follow-up,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 575–580, 2011.
- D. Benaiges, J. A. Flores-Le-Roux, J. Pedro-Botet et al., “Impact of restrictive (Sleeve Gastrectomy) vs hybrid bariatric surgery (Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass) on lipid profile,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 22, pp. 1268–1275, 2012.
- C. Boza, J. Salinas, N. Salgado et al., “Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy as a stand-alone procedure for morbid obesity: report of 1,000 cases and 3-year follow-up,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 22, pp. 866–871, 2012.
- D. Cottam, F. G. Qureshi, S. G. Mattar et al., “Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy as an initial weight-loss procedure for high-risk patients with morbid obesity,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 859–863, 2006.
- P. K. Chowbey, K. Dhawan, R. Khullar et al., “Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: an indian experience-surgical technique and early results,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 1340–1347, 2010.
- H. Hady, P. Golaszewaski, R. L. Zbucki, et al., “The influence of laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding and laparoscopic sleeve gastectomy on weight loss, plasma ghrelin, insulin, glucose and lipids,” Folia Hiosto Chemica, vol. 50, pp. 292–303, 2012.
- M. D'Hondt, S. Vanneste, H. Pottel, D. Devriendt, F. Van Rooy, and F. Vansteenkiste, “Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy as a single-stage procedure for the treatment of morbid obesity and the resulting quality of life, resolution of comorbidities, food tolerance, and 6-year weight loss,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 2498–2504, 2011.
- S. M. Han, W. W. Kim, and J. H. Oh, “Results of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) at 1 year in morbidly obese Korean patients,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 1469–1475, 2005.
- M. M. Hutter, B. D. Schirmer, D. B. Jones et al., “First report from the American College of Surgeons Bariatric Surgery Center Network: laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy has morbidity and effectiveness positioned between the band and the bypass,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 254, no. 3, pp. 410–422, 2011.
- K. Kasama, N. Tagaya, E. Kanahira et al., “Has laparoscopic bariatric surgery been accepted in Japan? The experience of a single surgeon,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 1473–1478, 2008.
- I. Kehagias, S. N. Karamanakos, M. Argentou, and F. Kalfarentzos, “Randomized clinical trial of laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass versus laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for the management of patients with BMI<50 kg/m2,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1650–1656, 2011.
- M. A. Lakdawala, A. Bhasker, D. Mulchandani, S. Goel, and S. Jain, “Comparison between the results of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and laparoscopic roux-en-y gastric bypass in the Indian population: a retrospective 1 year study,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2010.
- M. K. Leivonen, A. Juuti, N. Jaser, and H. Mustonen, “Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy in patients over 59 years: early recovery and 12-month follow-up,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 1180–1187, 2011.
- S. W. Nienhuijs, J. P. de Zoete, C. A. S. Berende, I. H. J. T. de Hingh, and J. F. Smulders, “Evaluation of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy on weight loss and co-morbidity,” International Journal of Surgery, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 302–304, 2010.
- J. J. Omana, S. Q. Nguyen, D. Herron, and S. Kini, “Comparison of comorbidity resolution and improvement between laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 2513–2517, 2010.
- P. Prasad, O. Tantia, N. Patle, S. Khanna, and B. Sen, “An analysis of 1–3-year Follow-up results of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: an indian perspective,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 507–514, 2012.
- G. Ramalingam and C. K. S. Anton, “Our 1-year experience in laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 1828–1833, 2011.
- T. Sammour, A. G. Hill, P. Singh, A. Ranasinghe, R. Babor, and H. Rahman, “Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy as a single-stage bariatric procedure,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 271–275, 2010.
- G. Skroubis, S. Karamanakos, G. Sakellaropoulos, K. Panagopoulos, and F. Kalfarentzos, “Comparison of early and late complications after various bariatric procedures: incidence and treatment during 15 years at a single institution,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 93–101, 2011.
- J. S. Todkar, S. S. Shah, P. S. Shah, and J. Gangwani, “Long-term effects of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy in morbidly obese subjects with type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 142–145, 2010.
- R. A. Weiner, S. Weiner, I. Pomhoff, C. Jacobi, W. Makarewicz, and G. Weigand, “Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy—influence of sleeve size and resected gastric volume,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 1297–1305, 2007.
- A. T. Y. Wong, D. C. Chan, J. Armstrong, and G. F. Watts, “Effect of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy on elevated C-reactive protein and atherogenic dyslipidemia in morbidly obese patients,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 342–344, 2011.
- O. Ou Yang, K. Loi, V. Liew, M. Talbot, and J. Jorgensen, “Staged laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy followed by Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for morbidly obese patients: a risk reduction strategy,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 1575–1580, 2008.
- G. W. Strain, F. Zhang, W. Lei, G. F. Dakin, M. Gagner, and A. Pomp, “Changes in lipid profiles in morbidly obese patients after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG),” Obesity Surgery, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 305–309, 2011.
- B. F. Asztalos, M. M. Swarbrick, E. J. Schaefer et al., “Effects of weight loss, induced by gastric bypass surgery, on HDL remodeling in obese women,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 51, no. 8, pp. 2405–2412, 2010.