- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 684782, 6 pages
Improving Prediction Algorithms for Cardiometabolic Risk in Children and Adolescents
1Department of Non-Communicable Disease Epidemiology, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
2General and Adolescent Paediatrics Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, 30 Guilford Street, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Received 12 February 2013; Accepted 9 June 2013
Academic Editor: Ajay K. Gupta
Copyright © 2013 Ulla Sovio et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. P. Guh, W. Zhang, N. Bansback, Z. Amarsi, C. L. Birmingham, and A. H. Anis, “The incidence of co-morbidities related to obesity and overweight: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” BMC Public Health, vol. 9, article 88, 2009.
- R. Jackson-Leach and T. Lobstein, “Estimated burden of paediatric obesity and co-morbidities in Europe—part 1: the increase in the prevalence of child obesity in Europe is itself increasing,” International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 26–32, 2006.
- T. Lobstein and R. Jackson-Leach, “Estimated burden of paediatric obesity and co-morbidities in Europe—part 2: numbers of children with indicators of obesity-related disease,” International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 33–41, 2006.
- M. H. Park, C. Falconer, R. M. Viner, and S. Kinra, “The impact of childhood obesity on morbidity and mortality in adulthood: a systematic review,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 985–1000, 2012.
- P. E. Schwarz, J. Li, J. Lindstrom, and J. Tuomilehto, “Tools for predicting the risk of type 2 diabetes in daily practice,” Hormone and Metabolic Research, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 86–97, 2009.
- R. B. D'Agostino Sr., S. Grundy, L. M. Sullivan, and P. Wilson, “Validation of the Framingham coronary heart disease prediction scores: results of a multiple ethnic groups investigation,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 286, no. 2, pp. 180–187, 2001.
- L. T. Mahoney, T. L. Burns, W. Stanford et al., “Usefulness of the Framingham risk score and body mass index to predict early coronary artery calcium in young adults (Muscatine Study),” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 509–515, 2001.
- A. J. Cameron, D. J. Magliano, P. Z. Zimmet et al., “The metabolic syndrome as a tool for predicting future diabetes: the AusDiab study,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 264, no. 2, pp. 177–186, 2008.
- P. E. H. Schwarz, J. Li, M. Reimann et al., “The finnish diabetes risk score is associated with insulin resistance and progression towards type 2 diabetes,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 920–926, 2009.
- J. Lindström and J. Tuomilehto, “The diabetes risk score: a practical tool to predict type 2 diabetes risk,” Diabetes Care, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 725–731, 2003.
- A. Pende, C. Grondona, and S. Bertolini, “Correlation between Progetto Cuore risk score and early cardiovascular damage in never treated subjects,” Cardiovascular Ultrasound, vol. 6, article 47, 2008.
- R. M. Conroy, K. Pyörälä, A. P. Fitzgerald et al., “Estimation of ten-year risk of fatal cardiovascular disease in Europe: the SCORE project,” European Heart Journal, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 987–1003, 2003.
- S. J. Griffin, P. S. Little, C. N. Hales, A. L. Kinmonth, and N. J. Wareham, “Diabetes risk score: towards earlier detection of type 2 diabetes in general practice,” Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, vol. 16, pp. 164–171, 2000.
- J. Hippisley-Cox, C. Coupland, J. Robson, A. Sheikh, and P. Brindle, “Predicting risk of type 2 diabetes in England and Wales: prospective derivation and validation of QDScore,” British Medical Journal, vol. 338, article b880, 2009.
- H. Bang, A. M. Edwards, A. S. Bomback et al., “Development and validation of a patient self-assessment score for diabetes risk,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 151, no. 11, pp. 775–783, 2009.
- J. C. Eisenmann, “On the use of a continuous metabolic syndrome score in pediatric research,” Cardiovascular Diabetology, vol. 7, article 17, 2008.
- Y. M. Hong, “Atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease beginning in childhood,” Korean Circulation Journal, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2010.
- K. E. Reed, D. E. R. Warburton, and H. A. McKay, “Determining cardiovascular disease risk in elementary school children: developing a healthy heart score,” Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 142–148, 2007.
- P. Brambilla, I. Lissau, C.-E. Flodmark et al., “Metabolic risk-factor clustering estimation in children: to draw a line across pediatric metabolic syndrome,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 591–600, 2007.
- G. Bueno, L. A. Moreno, O. Bueno et al., “Metabolic risk-factor clustering estimation in obese children,” Journal of Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 347–356, 2007.
- C. A. McMahan, S. S. Gidding, Z. A. Fayad et al., “Risk scores predict atherosclerotic lesions in young people,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 165, no. 8, pp. 883–890, 2005.
- “Type 2 diabetes in children and adolescents. American Diabetes Association,” Diabetes Care, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 381–389, 2000.
- M. Rodríguez-Morán, B. Salazar-Vázquez, R. Violante, and F. Guerrero-Romero, “Metabolic syndrome among children and adolescents aged 10–18 years,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 2516–2517, 2004.
- J. Steinberger, S. R. Daniels, R. H. Eckel et al., “Progress and challenges in metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Atherosclerosis, Hypertension, and Obesity in the Young Committee of the Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young; Council on Cardiovascular Nursing; and Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism,” Circulation, vol. 119, no. 4, pp. 628–647, 2009.
- P. Zimmet, G. Alberti, F. Kaufman et al., “The metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents,” The Lancet, vol. 369, no. 9579, pp. 2059–2061, 2007.
- P. Zimmet, G. K. M. M. Alberti, F. Kaufman et al., “The metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents—an IDF consensus report,” Pediatric Diabetes, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 299–306, 2007.
- M. C. Mancini, “Metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents—criteria for diagnosis,” Diabetology & Metabolic Syndrome, vol. 1, article 20, 2009.
- G. M. Reaven, “Banting lecture 1988. Role of insulin resistance in human disease,” Diabetes, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 1595–1607, 1988.
- S. M. Grundy, “Hypertriglyceridemia, insulin resistance, and the metabolic syndrome,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 83, no. 9, pp. 25F–29F, 1999.
- E. Kassi, P. Pervanidou, G. Kaltsas, and G. Chrousos, “Metabolic syndrome: definitions and controversies,” BMC Medicine, vol. 9, article 48, 2011.
- J. C. Eisenmann, K. R. Laurson, K. D. Dubose, B. K. Smith, and J. E. Donnelly, “Construct validity of a continuous metabolic syndrome score in children,” Diabetology and Metabolic Syndrome, vol. 2, no. 1, article 8, 2010.
- L. B. Andersen and J. Haraldsdottir, “Tracking of cardiovascular disease risk factors including maximal oxygen uptake and physical activity from late teenage to adulthood. An 8-year follow-up study,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 234, no. 3, pp. 309–315, 1993.
- L. B. Andersen, M. Harro, L. B. Sardinha et al., “Physical activity and clustered cardiovascular risk in children: a cross-sectional study (The European Youth Heart Study),” The Lancet, vol. 368, no. 9532, pp. 299–304, 2006.
- C. A. McMahan, S. S. Gidding, G. T. Malcom, R. E. Tracy, J. P. Strong, and H. C. McGill Jr., “Pathobiological determinants of atherosclerosis in youth risk scores are associated with early and advanced atherosclerosis,” Pediatrics, vol. 118, no. 4, pp. 1447–1455, 2006.
- L. B. Andersen, K. Müller, S. Eiberg et al., “Cytokines and clustered cardiovascular risk factors in children,” Metabolism, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 561–566, 2010.
- S. Ehtisham, N. Shaw, J. Kirk, and T. Barrett, “Development of an assessment tool for screening children for glucose intolerance by oral glucose tolerance test,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 280–281, 2004.
- A. Boyd, J. Golding, J. Macleod, et al., “Cohort profile: the ‘children of the 90s’—the index offspring of the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 42, pp. 111–127, 2013.