- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 695496, 9 pages
Anthropometric Changes in the Brazilian Cohort of Older Adults: SABE Survey (Health, Well-Being, and Aging)
1Department of Nutrition, School of Public Health, University of São Paulo (USP), Doutor Arnaldo Avenue 715, 2nd Floor, São Paulo, SP 01246-904, Brazil
2Department of Physical Education, Center of Science and Technology, São Paulo State University (UNESP), Presidente Prudente, SP 19060-900, Brazil
3School of Nutrition, Federal University of the State of Rio de Janeiro (UNIRIO), Rio de Janeiro, RJ 22290-240, Brazil
4School of Nursing, University of São Paulo (USP), São Paulo, SP 05403-000, Brazil
5Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of São Paulo (USP), São Paulo, SP 01246-904, Brazil
Received 30 November 2012; Revised 6 March 2013; Accepted 25 March 2013
Academic Editor: Analiza M. Silva
Copyright © 2013 Manuela Ferreira de Almeida et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- WHO, “National Institute of Aging Global Health and Ageing,” http://www.who.int/ageing/en/, 2013.
- IBGE, The Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics, “Demographic census,” http://www.ibge.gov.br, 2010.
- A. B. Newman, J. S. Lee, M. Visser, et al., “Weight change and the conservation of lean mass in old age: the Health, Aging and Body Composition Study,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 872–878, 2005.
- R. N. Baumgartner, “Body composition in healthy aging,” Annals of New York Academic Science, vol. 904, no. 1, pp. 437–448, 2006.
- J. Ding, S. B. Kritchevsky, A. B. Newman, et al., “Effects of Birth cohort and age on body composition in a sample of community-based elderly,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 405–410, 2007.
- F. Fantin, V. Di Francesco, G. Fontana et al., “Longitudinal body composition changes in old men and women: interrelationships with worsening disability,” Journals of Gerontology A, vol. 62, no. 12, pp. 1375–1381, 2007.
- F. C. D. Andrade, P. E. Guevara, M. L. Lebrão, et al., “Gender differences in life expectancy and disability-free life expectancy among older adults in Sao Paulo, Brazil,” Women's Health Issues, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 64–70, 2011.
- M. L. Lebrão and R. Laurenti, “Health, well-being and aging: The SABE Study in Sao Paulo, Brazil,” Revista Brasileira de Epidemiologia, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 127–141, 2005.
- M. Peláez, A. Palloni, J. C. Albala, et al., Survey on Aging, Health and Wellbeing, 2000, Pan American Health Organization, Washington, DC, USA, 2003.
- A. R. Frisancho, “New standards of weight and body composition by frame size and height for assessment of nutritional status of adults and the elderly,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 808–819, 1984.
- J. M. Gurney and D. B. Jelliffe, “Arm anthropometry in nutritional assessment: nomogram for rapid calculation of muscle circumference and cross sectional muscle and fat areas,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 912–915, 1973.
- S. B. Heymsfield, C. McManus, and J. Smith, “Anthropometric measurement of muscle mass: revised equations for calculating bone-free arm muscle area,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 680–690, 1982.
- D. Gallagher, “Weight loss in older women: influences on body composition,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 84, no. 5, pp. 957–958, 2006.
- J. Woo, S. C. Ho, and A. Sham, “Longitudinal changes in body mass index and body composition over 3 years and relationship to health outcomes in Hong Kong Chinese age 70 and older,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 737–746, 2001.
- C. P. G. M. De Groot, G. Enzi, A. L. Perdigao, and P. Deurenberg, “Longitudinal changes in anthropometric characteristics of elderly Europeans,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. S9–S15, 1996.
- D. K. Dey, E. Rothenberg, V. Sundh, I. Bosaeus, and B. Steen, “Height and body weight in the elderly. I. A 25-year longitudinal study of a population aged 70 to 95 years,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 905–914, 1999.
- D. K. Dey, I. Bosaeus, L. Lissner, and B. Steen, “Changes in body composition and its relation to muscle strength in 75-year-old men and women: a 5-year prospective follow-up study of the NORA cohort in Göteborg, Sweden,” Nutrition, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 613–619, 2009.
- C. P. G. M. De Groot, G. Enzi, C. Matthys, O. Moreiras, W. Roszkowski, and M. Schroll, “Ten-year changes in anthropometric characteristics of elderly Europeans,” Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 4–8, 2002.
- V. A. Hughes, R. Roubenoff, M. Wood, W. R. Frontera, W. J. Evans, and M. A. Fiatarone Singh, “Anthropometric assessment of 10-y changes in body composition in the elderly,” The American journal of clinical nutrition, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 475–482, 2004.
- S. Going, D. Williams, and T. Lohman, “Aging and body composition: biological changes and methodological issues,” Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews, vol. 23, pp. 411–449, 1995.
- U. G. Kyle, F. F. Zhang, A. Morabia, and C. Pichard, “Longitudinal study of body composition changes associated with weight change and physical activity,” Nutrition, vol. 22, no. 11-12, pp. 1103–1111, 2006.
- G. Bahat, F. Tufan, B. Saka B, et al., “Which body mass index (BMI) is better in the elderly for functional status?” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 78–81, 2012.
- L. S. Ferreira, T. Amaral, M. F. N. Marucci, et al., “Undernutrition as a major risk factor for death among older Brazilian adults in the community-dwelling setting: SABE survey,” Nutrition, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 1017–1022, 2011.
- M. C. Velazquez-Alva, M. E. Irigoyen, M. Zepeda, V. M. Sanchez, M. P. Garcia Cisneros, and L. M. Castillo, “Anthropometric measurements of a sixty-year and older Mexican urban group,” Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 350–354, 2004.
- J. L. Santos, C. Albala, L. Lera, et al., “Anthropometric measurements in the elderly population of Santiago, Chile,” Nutrition, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 452–457, 2004.
- R. D. S. Coqueiro, A. R. Barbosa, and A. F. Borgatto, “Anthropometric measurements in the elderly of Havana, Cuba: age and sex differences,” Nutrition, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 33–39, 2009.
- K. F. Adams, A. Schatzkin, T. B. Harris, et al., “Overweight, obesity, and mortality in a large prospective cohort of persons 50 to 71 years old,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 355, no. 8, pp. 763–778, 2006.
- D. R. Thomas, “Loss of skeletal muscle mass in aging: examining the relationship of starvation, sarcopenia and cachexia,” Clinical Nutrition, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 389–399, 2007.
- F. Landi, G. Zuccalà, G. Gambassi et al., “Body mass index and mortality among older people living in the community,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 1072–1076, 1999.
- J. M. Kvamme, J. Holmen, T. Wilsgaard, et al., “Body mass index and mortality in elderly men and women: the Tromsø and HUNT studies,” Journal Epidemiology Community Health, vol. 66, no. 7, pp. 611–617, 2012.
- T. O. Obisesan, M. H. Aliyu, V. Bond, R. G. Adams, A. Akomolafe, and C. N. Rotimi, “Ethnic and age-related fat free mass loss in older Americans: the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III),” BMC Public Health, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 41–49, 2005.
- R. N. Baumgartner, S. J. Wayne, D. L. Waters, I. Janssen, D. Gallagher, and J. E. Morley, “Sarcopenic obesity predicts instrumental activities of daily living disability in the elderly,” Obesity research, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 1995–2004, 2004.
- R. N. Baumgartner, D. L. Waters, D. Gallagher, J. E. Morley, and P. J. Garry, “Predictors of skeletal muscle mass in elderly men and women,” Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 123–136, 1999.
- A. C. Jentoft, J. P. Baeyens, J. Bauer, et al., “Sarcopenia: European consensus on definition and diagnosis,” Age Ageing, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 412–423, 2010.
- R. A. Fielding, B. Vellas, W. J. Evans et al., “Sarcopenia: an undiagnosed condition in older adults. Current consensus definition: prevalence, etiology, and consequences. International Working Group on Sarcopenia,” Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 249–256, 2011.
- S. Zhu, M. Heo, M. Plankey, M. S. Faith, and D. B. Allison, “Associations of body mass index and Anthropometric indicators of fat mass and fat free mass with all-cause mortality among women in the First and Second National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys follow-up studies,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 286–293, 2003.