- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 715618, 7 pages
The Associations of Parenting Factors with Adolescent Body Mass Index in an Underserved Population
1Department of Clinical & Health Psychology, University of Florida, P.O. Box 100165, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
2Department of Psychology, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
3Texas Prevention Institute, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth, TX 76107, USA
Received 16 December 2012; Revised 6 April 2013; Accepted 22 April 2013
Academic Editor: Reza Majdzadeh
Copyright © 2013 Elizabeth M. Schneider et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. L. Ogden, M. D. Carroll, B. K. Kit, and K. M. Flegal, “Prevalence of obesity and trends in body mass index among us children and adolescents, 1999–2010,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 307, no. 5, pp. 483–490, 2012.
- L. H. Epstein, R. A. Paluch, J. N. Roemmich, and M. D. Beecher, “Family-based obesity treatment, then and now: twenty-five years of pediatric obesity treatment,” Health Psychology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 381–391, 2007.
- M. Deitel, “The international obesity task force and ‘ Globesity’,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 613–614, 2002.
- C. L. Ogden, S. Z. Yanovski, M. D. Carroll, and K. M. Flegal, “The epidemiology of obesity,” Gastroenterology, vol. 132, no. 6, pp. 2087–2102, 2007.
- M. Rosenbaum, M. Nicolson, J. Hirsch, E. Murphy, F. Chu, and R. L. Leibel, “Effects of weight change on plasma leptin concentrations and energy expenditure,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 82, no. 11, pp. 3647–3654, 1997.
- K. J. Gruber and L. A. Haldeman, “Using the family to combat childhood and adult obesity,” Preventing Chronic Disease, vol. 6, no. 3, p. A106, 2009.
- M. Golan, “Parents as agents of change in childhood obesity—from research to practice,” International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 66–76, 2006.
- D. Young-Hyman, L. J. Herman, D. L. Scott, and D. G. Schlundt, “Care giver perception of children's obesity-related health risk: a study of African American families,” Obesity Research, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 241–248, 2000.
- S. L. Johnson and L. L. Birch, “Parents' and children's adiposity and eating style,” Pediatrics, vol. 94, no. 5, pp. 653–661, 1994.
- W. R. Beavers and R. B. Hampson, Successful Families: Assessment and Intervention, Norton, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- K. Coolahan, C. McWayne, J. Fantuzzo, and S. Grim, “Validation of a multidimensional assessment of parenting styles for low-income African-American families with preschool children,” Early Childhood Research Quarterly, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 356–373, 2002.
- G. S. Pettit, J. E. Bates, and K. A. Dodge, “Supportive parenting, ecological context, and children's adjustment: a seven-year longitudinal study,” Child Development, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 908–923, 1997.
- L. M. Locke and R. J. Prinz, “Measurement of parental discipline and nurturance,” Clinical Psychology Review, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 895–929, 2002.
- A. E. Mellin, D. Neumark-Sztainer, M. Story, M. Ireland, and M. D. Resnick, “Unhealthy behaviors and psychosocial difficulties among overweight adolescents: the potential impact of familial factors,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 145–153, 2002.
- J. A. Fulkerson, J. Strauss, D. Neumark-Sztainer, M. Story, and K. Boutelle, “Correlates of psychosocial well-being among overweight adolescents: the role of the family,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 181–186, 2007.
- Committee on Public Education, “Children, adolescents, and television,” Pediatrics, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 423–426, 2001.
- Neilsen Media Research, What consumers watch: Americans spend more time with video than ever. Three Screen Report, [serial on the Internet], vol. 7, no. 4, 2009, http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/corporate/us/en/newswire/uploads/2010/03/3Screens_4Q09_US_rpt.pdf.
- R. E. Andersen, C. J. Crespo, S. J. Bartlett, L. J. Cheskin, and M. Pratt, “Relationship of physical activity and television watching with body weight and level of fatness among children results from the third national health and nutrition examination survey,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 279, no. 12, pp. 938–942, 1998.
- National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse, Diabetes Prevention Program, 2008.
- K. C. Eckstein, L. M. Mikhail, A. J. Ariza, J. S. Thomson, S. C. Millard, and H. J. Binns, “Parents' perceptions of their child's weight and health,” Pediatrics, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 681–690, 2006.
- N. Towns and J. D'Auria, “Parental perceptions of their child's overweight: an integrative review of the literature,” Journal of Pediatric Nursing, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 115–130, 2009.
- L. S. Goodell, M. B. Pierce, C. M. Bravo, and A. M. Ferris, “Parental perceptions of overweight during early childhood,” Qualitative Health Research, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 1548–1555, 2008.
- L. M. Maynard, D. A. Galuska, H. M. Blanck, and M. K. Serdula, “Maternal perceptions of weight status of children,” Pediatrics, vol. 111, no. 5, pp. 1226–1231, 2003.
- A. M. Patino, J. Sanchez, M. Eidson, and A. M. Delamater, “Health beliefs and regimen adherence in minority adolescents with type 1 diabetes,” Journal of Pediatric Psychology, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 503–512, 2005.
- K. A. Alia, D. K. Wilson, S. M. St. George, E. Schneider, and H. Kitzman-Ulrich, “Effects of parenting style and parent-related weight and diet on adolescent weight status,” Journal of Pediatric Psychology, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 321–329, 2013.
- H. Kitzman-Ulrich, D. K. Wilson, S. M. St. George, M. Segal, E. Schneider, and K. Kugler, “A preliminary test of a motivational and parenting weight loss program targeting low-income and minority adolescents,” Childhood Obesity, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 379–384, 2011.
- S. M. St. George and D. K. Wilson, “A qualitative study for understanding family and peer influences on obesity-related health behaviors in low-income African-American adolescents,” Childhood Obesity, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 466–476, 2012.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, A SAS program for the CDC growth charts, 2009, http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpao/growthcharts/resources/sas.htm.
- E. A. Walker, C. K. Mertz, M. R. Kalten, and J. Flynn, “Risk perception for developing diabetes: comparative risk judgments of physicians,” Diabetes Care, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 2543–2548, 2003.
- C. Kim, L. N. McEwen, J. D. Piette, J. Goewey, A. Ferrara, and E. A. Walker, “Risk perception for diabetes among women with histories of gestational diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes Care, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 2281–2286, 2007.
- E. A. Walker and J. Wylie-Rosett, “Evaluating risk perception of developing diabetes as a multi-dimensional construct,” Diabetes Care, vol. 47, supplement 1, p. A5, 1998.
- N. R. Pinelli, H. D. Berlie, R. L. Slaughter, and L. A. Jaber, “Risk perception for developing diabetes among pharmacists,” The Annals of Pharmacotherapy, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 1050–1056, 2009.
- “Development of a survey that measures home environmental factors contributing to obesity,” in American Public Health Association Conference, S. Larios, G. X. Ayala, B. Baquero, E. M. Arredondo, and J. P. Elder, Eds., Washington, DC, USA, 2004.
- S. E. Larios, G. X. Ayala, E. M. Arredondo, B. Baquero, and J. P. Elder, “Development and validation of a scale to measure Latino parenting strategies related to children's obesigenic behaviors: the parenting strategies for eating and activity scale (PEAS),” Appetite, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 166–172, 2009.
- E. M. Arredondo, J. P. Elder, G. X. Ayala, N. Campbell, B. Baquero, and S. Duerksen, “Is parenting style related to children's healthy eating and physical activity in Latino families?” Health Education Research, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 862–871, 2006.
- M. A. Slater and T. G. Power, “Multidimensional assessment of parenting in single-parent families,” in Advances in Family Intervention, Assessment, and Theory, J. P. Vincent, Ed., pp. 197–228, JAI Press, Greenwich, Conn, USA, 1987.
- J. Cohen, P. Cohen, S. G. West, and L. S. Aiken, Applied Multiple Regression/Correlation Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ, USA, 3rd edition, 2003.
- T. G. Power, Parenting Dimensions Inventory (PDI-S): A Research Manual, Washington State University, 2002.
- J. Osborne, Best Practices in Quantitative Methods, Sage, Thousand Oaks, Calif, USA, 2008.
- K. K. Davison and L. L. Birch, “Childhood overweight: a contextual model and recommendations for future research,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 159–171, 2001.
- W. H. Dietz and S. L. Gortmaker, “Preventing obesity in children and adolescents,” Annual Review of Public Health, vol. 22, pp. 337–353, 2001.
- J. Eccles, J. Templeton, B. Berber, and M. Stone, “Adolescence and emerging adulthood: the critical passage ways to adulthood,” in Well-Being: Positive Development Across the Life Course, M. H. Bornstein, L. Davidson, C. L. M. Keyes, and K. Moore, Eds., Erlbaum, Mahwaj, NJ, USA, 2003.
- L. L. Birch and M. Deysher, “Conditioned and unconditioned caloric compensation: evidence for self-regulation of food intake in young children,” Learning and Motivation, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 341–355, 1985.
- A. C. Israel, C. A. Guile, J. E. Baker, and W. K. Silverman, “An evaluation of enhanced self-regulation training in the treatment of childhood obesity,” Journal of Pediatric Psychology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 737–749, 1994.
- K. R. Laurson, J. C. Eisenmann, G. J. Welk, E. E. Wickel, D. A. Gentile, and D. A. Walsh, “Combined influence of physical activity and screen time recommendations on childhood overweight,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 153, no. 2, pp. 209–214, 2008.
- M. M. Black and K. M. Hurley, “Helping children develop healthy eating habits,” in Encyclopedia on Early Childhood Development, R. E. Tremblay, R. G. Barr, R. D. Peters, and M. Boivin, Eds., pp. 1–10, Centre of Excellence for Early Childhood Development, Montreal, Canada, 2007.
- S. O. Hughes, T. G. Power, J. Orlet Fisher, S. Mueller, and T. A. Nicklas, “Revisiting a neglected construct: parenting styles in a child-feeding context,” Appetite, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 83–92, 2005.
- L. L. Birch, “Development of food preferences,” Annual Review of Nutrition, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 41–62, 1999.
- D. K. Wilson, “New perspectives on health disparities and obesity interventions in youth,” Journal of Pediatric Psychology, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 231–244, 2009.
- H. Kitzman-Ulrich, D. K. Wilson, S. M. St. George, H. Lawman, M. Segal, and A. Fairchild, “The integration of a family systems approach for understanding youth obesity, physical activity, and dietary programs,” Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 231–253, 2010.
- J. Lightwood, K. Bibbins-Domingo, P. Coxson, Y. C. Wang, L. Williams, and L. Goldman, “Forecasting the future economic burden of current adolescent overweight: an estimate of the coronary heart disease policy model,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 99, no. 12, pp. 2230–2237, 2009.