- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 717942, 7 pages
Eating Behaviors and Overweight among Adolescents: A Population-Based Survey in Japan
1Department of Public Health, Showa University School of Medicine, 1-5-8 Hatanodai, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo 142-8555, Japan
2Division of Diabetes, Metabolism and Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Jikei University School of Medicine, 3-25-8 Nishi-Shinbashi Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-8461, Japan
3Jikei University School of Medicine, 3-25-8 Nishi-Shinbashi Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-8461, Japan
Received 9 January 2013; Revised 2 July 2013; Accepted 2 July 2013
Academic Editor: Ajay K. Gupta
Copyright © 2013 Hirotaka Ochiai et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Kelishadi, “Childhood overweight, obesity, and the metabolic syndrome in developing countries,” Epidemiologic Reviews, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 62–76, 2007.
- M. Story, J. F. Sallis, and C. T. Orleans, “Adolescent obesity: towards evidence-basedpolicy and environmental solutions,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 45, no. 3, supplement, pp. S1–S5, 2009.
- A. Must, P. F. Jacques, G. E. Dallal, C. J. Bajema, and W. H. Dietz, “Long-term morbidity and mortality of overweight adolescents—a follow-up of the Harvard Growth Study of 1922 to 1935,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 327, no. 19, pp. 1350–1355, 1992.
- I. Janssen, P. T. Katzmarzyk, W. F. Boyce, M. A. King, and W. Pickett, “Overweight and obesity in Canadian adolescents and their associations with dietary habits and physical activity patterns,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 360–367, 2004.
- K. Patrick, G. J. Norman, K. J. Calfas et al., “Diet, physical activity, and sedentary behaviors as risk factors for overweight in adolescence,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 158, no. 4, pp. 385–390, 2004.
- C. S. Berkey, H. R. Rockett, A. E. Field et al., “Activity, dietary intake, and weight changes in a longitudinal study of preadolescent and adolescent boys and girls,” Pediatrics, vol. 105, no. 4, p. E56, 2000.
- W. S. Agras, L. D. Hammer, F. McNicholas, and H. C. Kraemer, “Risk factors for childhood overweight: a prospective study from birth to 9.5 years,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 145, no. 1, pp. 20–25, 2004.
- Y. Sun, M. Sekine, and S. Kagamimori, “Lifestyle and overweight among Japanese adolescents: the Toyama Birth Cohort Study,” Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 303–310, 2009.
- R. Otsuka, K. Tamakoshi, H. Yatsuya et al., “Eating fast leads to obesity: findings based on self-administered questionnaires among middle-aged Japanese men and women,” Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 117–124, 2006.
- Q. He, Z. Y. Ding, D. Y. T. Fong, and J. Karlberg, “Risk factors of obesity in preschool children in China: a population-based case—control study,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 1528–1536, 2000.
- H. Sugimori, K. Yoshida, T. Izuno et al., “Analysis of factors that influence body mass index from ages 3 to 6 years: a study based on the Toyama cohort study,” Pediatrics International, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 302–310, 2004.
- K. Maruyama, S. Sato, T. Ohira et al., “The joint impact on being overweight of self reported behaviours of eating quickly and eating until full: cross sectional survey,” British Medical Journal, vol. 337, p. a2002, 2008.
- Y. Kimura, A. Nanri, Y. Matsushita, S. Sasaki, and T. Mizoue, “Eating behavior in relation to prevalence of overweight among Japanese men,” Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 29–34, 2011.
- H. Ochiai, T. Shirasawa, R. Nishimura et al., “Relationship of body mass index to percent body fat and waist circumference among schoolchildren in Japan—the influence of gender and obesity: a population-based cross-sectional study,” BMC Public Health, vol. 10, article 493, 2010.
- T. Shirasawa, N. Shimada, H. Ochiai et al., “High blood pressure in obese and nonobese Japanese children: blood pressure measurement is necessary even in nonobese Japanese children,” Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 408–412, 2010.
- R. Nishimura, H. Sano, T. Matsudaira et al., “Changes in body mass index, leptin and adiponectin in Japanese children during a three-year follow-up period: a population-based cohort study,” Cardiovascular Diabetology, vol. 8, article 30, 2009.
- S. Tanihara, T. Imatoh, M. Miyazaki et al., “Retrospective longitudinal study on the relationship between 8-year weight change and current eating speed,” Appetite, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 179–183, 2011.
- T. Tomofuji, M. Furuta, D. Ekuni et al., “Relationships between eating habits and periodontal condition in university students,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 82, no. 12, pp. 1642–1649, 2011.
- K. Wada, K. Tamakoshi, T. Tsunekawa et al., “Validity of self-reported height and weight in a Japanese workplace population,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1093–1099, 2005.
- T. J. Cole, M. C. Bellizzi, K. M. Flegal, and W. H. Dietz, “Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey,” British Medical Journal, vol. 320, no. 7244, pp. 1240–1243, 2000.
- K. Murakami, Y. Miyake, S. Sasaki, K. Tanaka, and M. Arakawa, “Self-reported rate of eating and risk of overweight in Japanese children: Ryukyus Child Health Study,” Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 247–252, 2012.
- K. Kouda, Y. Fujita, H. Nakamura, H. Takeuchi, and M. Iki, “Effect of recovery from obesity on cardiovascular risk factors among Japanese schoolchildren: the Iwata population-based follow-up study,” Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 370–375, 2011.
- M. Sekine, T. Yamagami, K. Handa et al., “A dose-response relationship between short sleeping hours and childhood obesity: results of the Toyama Birth Cohort Study,” Child, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 163–170, 2002.
- M. Sekine, T. Yamagami, S. Hamanishi et al., “Parental obesity, lifestyle factors and obesity in preschool children: results of the Toyama Birth Cohort Study,” Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 33–39, 2002.
- Examination Committee of Criteria for “Obesity Disease” in Japan and Japan Society for the Study of Obesity, “New criteria for “obesity disease” in Japan,” Circulation Journal, vol. 66, no. 11, pp. 987–992, 2002.
- Y. Matsuzawa, S. Inoue, Y. Ikeda et al., “New diagnostic criteria of obesity,” Journal of Japan Society for the Study of Obesity, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 18–28, 2000 (Japanese).
- H. Thibault, B. Contrand, E. Saubusse, M. Baine, and S. Maurice-Tison, “Risk factors for overweight and obesity in French adolescents: physical activity, sedentary behavior and parental characteristics,” Nutrition, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 192–200, 2010.
- P. B. Júlíusson, G. E. Eide, M. Roelants, P. E. Waaler, R. Hauspie, and R. Bjerknes, “Overweight and obesity in Norwegian children: prevalence and socio-demographic risk factors,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 99, no. 6, pp. 900–905, 2010.
- C. J. Apfelbacher, A. Loerbroks, J. Cairns, H. Behrendt, J. Ring, and U. Krämer, “Predictors of overweight and obesity in five to seven-year-old children in Germany: results from cross-sectional studies,” BMC Public Health, vol. 8, article 171, 2008.
- T. J. Parsons, C. Power, S. Logan, and C. D. Summerbell, “Childhood predictors of adult obesity: a systematic review,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 23, supplement 8, pp. S1–S107, 1999.
- W. Dietz, “Factors associated with childhood obesity,” Nutrition, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 290–291, 1991.
- S. W. Hill and N. B. McCutcheon, “Contributions of obesity, gender, hunger, food preference, and body size to bite size, bite speed, and rate of eating,” Appetite, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 73–83, 1984.
- L. J. Cooke and J. Wardle, “Age and gender differences in children's food preferences,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 741–746, 2005.
- T. A. Gerace and V. A. George, “Predictors of weight increases over 7 years in fire fighters and paramedics,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 593–600, 1996.
- A. M. Andrade, G. W. Greene, and K. J. Melanson, “Eating slowly led to decreases in energy intake within meals in healthy women,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 108, no. 7, pp. 1186–1191, 2008.
- I. Ioakimidis, M. Zandian, C. Bergh, and P. Södersten, “A method for the control of eating rate: a potential intervention in eating disorders,” Behavior Research Methods, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 755–760, 2009.
- R. B. Stuart, “Behavioral control of overeating,” Behaviour Research and Therapy, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 357–365, 1967.
- S. Sasaki, A. Katagiri, T. Tsuji, T. Shimoda, and K. Amano, “Self-reported rate of eating correlates with body mass index in 18-y-old Japanese women,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 1405–1410, 2003.
- C. Kleiser, A. Schaffrath Rosario, G. B. Mensink, R. Prinz-Langenohl, and B. M. Kurth, “Potential determinants of obesity among children and adolescents in Germany: results from the cross-sectional KiGGS Study,” BMC Public Health, vol. 9, article 46, 2009.
- S. Danielzik, M. Czerwinski-Mast, K. Langnäse, B. Dilba, and M. J. Müller, “Parental overweight, socioeconomic status and high birth weight are the major determinants of overweight and obesity in 5–7 y-old children: baseline data of the Kiel Obesity Prevention Study (KOPS),” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 1494–1502, 2004.