- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 720368, 11 pages
Reliability of Questionnaires to Assess the Healthy Eating and Activity Environment of a Child's Home and School
1Nutrition and Dietetics, Flinders University of South Australia, GPO Box 2100, Adelaide, SA 5001, Australia
2Discipline of Public Health, Flinders University of South Australia, GPO Box 2100, Adelaide, SA 5001, Australia
3Health Promotion Branch, SA Health, Government of South Australia, P.O. Box 287 Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
Received 6 December 2012; Revised 8 May 2013; Accepted 6 June 2013
Academic Editor: Sarah McNaughton
Copyright © 2013 Annabelle Wilson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- “Australian Health Survey: First Results 2011-2012,” Canberra, Australia, October 2012, http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/27D7FFFD3AEE46CCCA257AA30014BFFA?opendocument.
- B. A. Swinburn, G. Sacks, K. D. Hall et al., “The global obesity pandemic: shaped by global drivers and local environments,” The Lancet, vol. 378, no. 9793, pp. 804–814, 2011.
- Y. Wang and T. Lobstein, “Worldwide trends in childhood overweight and obesity,” International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 11–25, 2006.
- J. Foltz, A. May, B. Belay, A. J. Nihiser, C. Dooyema, and H. Blanck, “Population-level intervention strategies and examples for obesity prevention in children,” Annual Review Nutrition, vol. 32, pp. 391–415, 2012.
- B. Swinburn, G. Egger, and F. Raza, “Dissecting obesogenic environments: the development and application of a framework for identifying and prioritizing environmental interventions for obesity,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 29, no. 6 I, pp. 563–570, 1999.
- C. D. Summerbell, H. J. Moore, C. Vögele et al., “Evidence-based recommendations for the development of obesity prevention programs targeted at preschool children,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 129–132, 2012.
- R. A. McKinnon, C. T. Orleans, S. K. Kumanyika et al., “Considerations for an obesity policy research agenda,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 351–357, 2009.
- C. Alvaro, L. A. Jackson, S. Kirk et al., “Moving Canadian governmental policies beyond a focus on individual lifestyle: some insights from complexity and critical theories,” Health Promotion International, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 91–99, 2011.
- B. Swinburn, C. Bell, L. King, A. Magarey, K. O'Brien, and E. Waters, “Obesity prevention programs demand high-quality evaluations,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 305–307, 2007.
- A. M. Wilson, A. M. Magarey, and N. Mastersson, “Reliability and relative validity of a child nutrition questionnaire to simultaneously assess dietary patterns associated with positive energy balance and food behaviours, attitudes, knowledge and environments associated with healthy eating,” International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol. 5, article 5, 2008.
- A. M. Wilson, A. M. Magarey, J. Dollman, M. Jones, and N. Mastersson, “The challenges of quantitative evaluation of a multi-setting, multi-strategy community-based childhood obesity prevention programme: lessons learnt from the eat well be active Community Programs in South Australia,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 1262–1270, 2010.
- T. Pettman, M. McAllister, F. Verity et al., Eat Well Be Active Community Programs Final Report, SA Health, Adelaide, Australia, 2010.
- A. M. Magarey, T. L. Pettman, A. Wilson, and N. Mastersson, “Changes in primary school children's behaviour, knowledge, attitudes, and environments related to nutrition and physical activity,” ISRN Obesity, vol. 2013, Article ID 752081, 10 pages, 2013.
- T. Pettman, A. Magarey, N. Mastersson, A. Wilson, and J. Dollman, “Improving weight status in childhood: results from the eat well be active community programs,” International Journal of Public Health, 2013.
- M. Jones, A. Magarey, J. Dollman, F. Verity, N. Mastersson, and E. Clover, Eat Well Be Active Community Programs Evaluation Report Part 1: Baseline Data Collection, SA Health, Adelaide, Australia, 2008.
- R. S. McPherson, D. M. Hoelscher, M. Alexander, K. S. Scanlon, and M. K. Serdula, “Dietary assessment methods among school-aged children: validity and reliability,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. S11–S33, 2000.
- D. R. Cox, J. D. Skinner, B. R. Carruth, J. Moran III, and K. S. Houck, “A food variety index for toddlers (VIT): development and application,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 97, no. 12, pp. 1382–1386, 1997.
- M. Arimond and M. T. Ruel, “Dietary diversity is associated with child nutritional status: evidence from 11 demographic and health surveys,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 134, no. 10, pp. 2579–2585, 2004.
- D. Feskanich, H. R. H. Rockett, and G. A. Colditz, “Modifying the healthy eating index to assess diet quality in children and adolescents,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 104, no. 9, pp. 1375–1383, 2004.
- A. Smith, E. Kellett, and Y. Schmerlaib, The Australian Guide to Healthy Eating, Commonwealth Department of Health and Family Services, Canberra, Australia, 1998.
- Department of Health and Ageing, Australia's Physical Activity Recommendations for 5–12 Year olds, Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra, Australia, 2004.
- Department of Health and Ageing, Australia's Physical Activity Recommendations for 12–18 year olds, Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra, Australia, 2004.
- R. F. de Villis, Scale Development: Theory and Applications, Sage, Thousand Oaks, Calif, USA, 2nd edition, 2003.
- J. Pallant, SPSS Survival Manual, Allen & Unwin, Crows Nest, Australia, 3rd edition, 2007.
- M. L. Gattshall, J. A. Shoup, J. A. Marshall, L. A. Crane, and P. A. Estabrooks, “Validation of a survey instrument to assess home environments for physical activity and healthy eating in overweight children,” International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol. 5, article 3, 2008.
- A. Magarey, R. Golley, N. Spurrier, E. Goodwin, and F. Ong, “Reliability and validity of the children's dietary questionnaire; a new tool to measure children's dietary patterns,” International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 257–265, 2009.
- S. E. Anderson, A. Must, C. Curtin, and L. G. Bandini, “Meals in our household: reliability and initial validation of a questionnaire to assess child mealtime behaviors and family mealtime environments,” Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 276–284, 2012.
- E. Bere and K. I. Kelpp, “Reliability of parental and self-reported determinants of fruit and vegetable intake among 6th graders,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 7, pp. 353–356, 2003.
- D. Streiner and G. Norman, Health Measurement Scales: A Practical Guide to Their Development and Use, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 2003.
- S. E. Benjamin, B. Neelon, S. C. Ball, S. I. Bangdiwala, A. S. Ammerman, and D. S. Ward, “Reliability and validity of a nutrition and physical activity environmental self-assessment for child care,” International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol. 4, article 29, 2007.
- J. A. Randall Simpson, H. H. Keller, L. A. Rysdale, and J. E. Beyers, “Nutrition screening tool for every preschooler (NutriSTEP): validation and test-retest reliability of a parent-administered questionnaire assessing nutrition risk of preschoolers,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 770–780, 2008.