- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 737592, 9 pages
Prevalence of Overweight, Obesity, and Thinness in Cameroon Urban Children and Adolescents
1Laboratory of Nutrition and Nutritional Biochemistry, Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Yaoundé 1, P.O. Box 8418, Yaoundé, Cameroon
2Centre de Recherche Institut Universitaire Cardiologie & Pneumologie de Québec, Y4323, 2725 Chemin Sainte-Foy, Québec, QC, Canada G1V 4G5
Received 26 March 2013; Revised 15 May 2013; Accepted 28 May 2013
Academic Editor: Yvon Chagnon
Copyright © 2013 Ponce Cedric Fouejeu Wamba et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. C. Bellizzi and W. H. Dietz, “Workshop on childhood obesity: summary of the discussion,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 173S–175S, 1999.
- L. K. Fezeu, F. K. Assah, B. Balkau et al., “Ten-year changes in central obesity and BMI in rural and urban Cameroon,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 1144–1147, 2008.
- R. M. Kamadjeu, R. Edwards, J. S. Atanga, E. C. Kiawi, N. Unwin, and J.-C. Mbanya, “Anthropometry measures and prevalence of obesity in the urban adult population of Cameroon: an update from the Cameroon Burden of Diabetes Baseline Survey,” BMC Public Health, vol. 6, article 228, 2006.
- P. Pasquet, L. S. Temgoua, F. Melaman-Sego, A. Froment, and H. Rikong-Adié, “Prevalence of overweight and obesity for urban adults in Cameroon,” Annals of Human Biology, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 551–562, 2003.
- Y. Wang, C. Monteiro, and B. M. Popkin, “Trends of obesity and underweight in older children and adolescents in the United States, Brazil, China, and Russia,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 971–977, 2002.
- S. Low, M. C. Chin, and M. Deurenberg-Yap, “Review on epidemic of obesity,” Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 57–65, 2009.
- Y. Wang, K. Ge, and B. M. Popkin, “Tracking of body mass index from childhood to adolescence: a 6-y follow-up study in China,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 1018–1024, 2000.
- T. J. Cole, M. C. Bellizzi, K. M. Flegal, and W. H. Dietz, “Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey,” British Medical Journal, vol. 320, no. 7244, pp. 1240–1243, 2000.
- T. J. Cole, K. M. Flegal, D. Nicholls, and A. A. Jackson, “Body mass index cut offs to define thinness in children and adolescents: international survey,” British Medical Journal, vol. 335, no. 7612, pp. 194–197, 2007.
- J. J. Reilly, J. Wilson, and J. V. G. A. Durnin, “Determination of body composition from skinfold thickness: a validation study,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 305–310, 1995.
- M. F. Rolland-Cachera, T. J. Cole, M. Sempe, J. Tichet, C. Rossignol, and A. Charraud, “Body mass index variations: centiles from birth to 87 years,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 13–21, 1991.
- W. P. T. James, “The fundamental drivers of the obesity epidemic,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 6–13, 2008.
- W. H. Dietz and M. C. Bellizzi, “Introduction: the use of body mass index to assess obesity in children,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 123S–125S, 1999.
- H. Hubert, C. B. Guinhouya, L. Allard, and A. Durocher, “Comparison of the diagnostic quality of body mass index, waist circumference and waist-to-height ratio in screening skinfold-determined obesity among children,” Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 449–451, 2009.
- Y. Wang, “Epidemiology of childhood obesity—methodological aspects and guidelines: what is new?” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 28, supplement 3, pp. S21–S28, 2004.
- L. Fezeu, B. Balkau, E. Sobngwi et al., “Waist circumference and obesity-related abnormalities in French and Cameroonian adults: the role of urbanization and ethnicity,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 446–453, 2010.
- T. J. Cole and T. Lobstein, “Extended international (IOTF) body mass index cut-offs for thinness, overweight and obesity,” Pediatric Obesity, vol. 7, pp. 284–294, 2012.
- A. Must, G. E. Dallal, and W. H. Dietz, “Reference data for obesity: 85th and 95th percentiles of body mass index (wt/ht2) and triceps skinfold thickness,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 839–846, 1991.
- R. J. Kuczmarski and K. M. Flegal, “Criteria for definition of overweight in transition: background and recommendations for the United States,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 72, no. 5, pp. 1074–1081, 2000.
- R. J. Kuczmarski, C. L. Ogden, L. M. Grummer-Strawn et al., “CDC growth charts: United States,” Advance Data, no. 314, pp. 1–27, 2000.
- M. de Onis, A. W. Onyango, E. Borghi, A. Siyam, C. Nishida, and J. Siekmann, “Development of a WHO growth reference for school-aged children and adolescents,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 85, no. 9, pp. 660–667, 2007.
- M. A. A. de Assis, M. F. Rolland-Cachera, S. Grosseman et al., “Obesity, overweight and thinness in schoolchildren of the city of Florianópolis, Southern Brazil,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 59, no. 9, pp. 1015–1021, 2005.
- Y. Wang and T. Lobstein, “Worldwide trends in childhood overweight and obesity,” International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 11–25, 2006.
- B. M. Popkin and P. Gordon-Larsen, “The nutrition transition: worldwide obesity dynamics and their determinants,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. S2–S9, 2004.
- K. M. Flegal, C. L. Ogden, R. Wei, R. L. Kuczmarski, and C. L. Johnson, “Prevalence of overweight in US children: comparison of US growth charts from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention with other reference values for body mass index,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 1086–1093, 2001.
- M.-F. Rolland-Cachera, K. Castetbon, N. Arnault et al., “Body mass index in 7-9-y-old French children: frequency of obesity, overweight and thinness,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 1610–1616, 2002.
- M. E. G. Armstrong, M. I. Lambert, K. A. Sharwood, and E. V. Lambert, “Obesity and overweight in South African primary school children—the health of the nation study,” South African Medical Journal, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. 439–444, 2006.
- V. V. Khadilkar, A. V. Khadilkar, T. J. Cole, S. A. Chiplonkar, and D. Pandit, “Overweight and obesity prevalence and body mass index trends in Indian children,” International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. e216–e224, 2011.
- L. N. Dapi, U. Janlert, C. Nouedoui, H. Stenlund, and L. Håglin, “Socioeconomic and gender differences in adolescents' nutritional status in urban Cameroon, Africa,” Nutrition Research, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 313–319, 2009.
- E. W. Kimani-Murage, K. Kahn, J. M. Pettifor et al., “The prevalence of stunting, overweight and obesity, and metabolic disease risk in rural South African children,” BMC Public Health, vol. 10, article 158, 2010.