- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 741097, 6 pages
Sleeve Gastrectomy and Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
1Department of Surgery, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
2Center for the Advancement of Minimally Invasive Surgery (CAMIS), Edmonton, AB, Canada
Received 13 March 2013; Revised 18 June 2013; Accepted 18 June 2013
Academic Editor: Christine Stroh
Copyright © 2013 Michael Laffin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organisation, “Overweight and Obesity. Factsheet no. 311,” 2012, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/.
- T. L. S. Visscher and J. C. Seidell, “The public health impact of obesity,” Annual Review of Public Health, vol. 22, pp. 355–375, 2001.
- F. X. Pi-Sunyer, “Medical hazards of obesity,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 119, no. 7, pp. 655–660, 1993.
- A. Must, J. Spadano, E. H. Coakley, A. E. Field, G. Colditz, and W. H. Dietz, “The disease burden associated with overweight and obesity,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 282, no. 16, pp. 1523–1529, 1999.
- A. E. Field, E. H. Coakley, A. Must et al., “Impact of overweight on the risk of developing common chronic diseases during a 10-year period,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 161, no. 13, pp. 1581–1586, 2001.
- A. Lukanova, O. Björ, R. Kaaks et al., “Body mass index and cancer: results from the Northern Sweden Health and Disease Cohort,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 458–466, 2006.
- P. R. Schauer, S. R. Kashyap, K. Wolski et al., “Bariatric surgery versus intensive medical therapy in obese patients with diabetes,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 366, no. 17, pp. 1567–1576, 2012.
- R. S. Gill, D. W. Birch, X. Shi, A. M. Sharma, and S. Karmali, “Sleeve gastrectomy and type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 707–713, 2010.
- S. Chiu, D. W. Birch, X. Shi, A. M. Sharma, and S. Karmali, “Effect of sleeve gastrectomy on gastroesophageal reflux disease: a systematic review,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 510–515, 2011.
- N. Vakil, S. V. Van Zanten, P. Kahrilas et al., “The Montreal definition and classification of gastroesophageal reflux disease: a global evidence-based consensus,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 101, no. 8, pp. 1900–1943, 2006.
- J. P. P. Moraes-Filho, I. Cecconello, J. Gama-Rodrigues et al., “Brazilian consensus on gastroesophageal reflux disease: proposals for assessment, classification, and management,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 241–248, 2002.
- J. Dent, W. J. Dodds, and R. H. Friedman, “Mechanism of gastroesophageal reflux in recumbent asymptomatic human subjects,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 256–267, 1980.
- W. J. Dodds, J. Dent, and W. J. Hogan, “Mechanisms of gastroesophageal reflux in patients with reflux esophagitis,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 307, no. 25, pp. 1547–1552, 1982.
- R. K. Mittal, R. H. Holloway, R. Penagini, L. A. Blackshaw, and J. Dent, “Transient lower esophageal sphincter relaxation,” Gastroenterology, vol. 109, no. 2, pp. 601–610, 1995.
- J. Dent, W. J. Dodds, W. J. Hogan, and J. Toouli, “Factors that influence induction of gastroesophageal reflux in normal human subjects,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 270–275, 1988.
- R. K. Mittal, D. F. Rochester, and R. W. McCallum, “Sphincteric action of the diaphragm during a relaxed lower esophageal sphincter in humans,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 256, no. 1, p. G139, 1989.
- J. E. Pandolfino, H. Kim, S. K. Ghosh, J. O. Clarke, Q. Zhang, and P. J. Kahrilas, “High-resolution manometry of the EGJ: an analysis of crural diaphragm function in GERD,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 102, no. 5, pp. 1056–1063, 2007.
- S. Sloan, A. W. Rademaker, and P. J. Kahrilas, “Determinants of gastroesophageal junction incompetence: Hiatal Hernia, lower esophageal sphincter, or both?” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 117, no. 12, pp. 977–982, 1992.
- C. P. Barham, D. C. Gotley, A. Mills, and D. Alderson, “Precipitating causes of acid reflux episodes in ambulant patients with gastro-oesophageal reflux disease,” Gut, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 505–510, 1995.
- S. Ayazi, J. A. Hagen, L. S. Chan et al., “Obesity and gastroesophageal reflux: quantifying the association between body mass index, esophageal acid exposure, and lower esophageal sphincter status in a large series of patients with reflux symptoms,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 1440–1447, 2009.
- J. C. Wu, L. Mui, C. M. Cheung, Y. Chan, and J. J. Sung, “Obesity Is Associated With Increased Transient Lower Esophageal Sphincter Relaxation,” Gastroenterology, vol. 132, no. 3, pp. 883–889, 2007.
- P. Moayyedi and N. J. Talley, “Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease,” Lancet, vol. 367, no. 9528, pp. 2086–2100, 2006.
- P. O. Katz, L. B. Gerson, and M. F. Vela, “Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of gastroesophageal reflux disease,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 108, pp. 308–328, 2013.
- G. A. Ergun and P. J. Kahrilas, “Clinical applications of esophageal manometry and pH monitoring,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 91, no. 6, pp. 1077–1089, 1996.
- B. Avidan, A. Sonnenberg, T. G. Schnell, and S. J. Sontag, “There are no reliable symptoms for erosive oesophagitis and Barrett's oesophagus: endoscopic diagnosis is still essential,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 735–742, 2002.
- D. S. Hess and D. W. Hess, “Biliopancreatic diversion with a duodenal switch,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 267–282, 1998.
- D. Johnston, J. Dachtler, H. M. Sue-Ling, R. F. G. J. King, and I. G. Martin, “The Magenstrasse and Mill operation for morbid obesity,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 10–16, 2003.
- A. A. Gumbs, M. Gagner, G. Dakin, and A. Pomp, “Sleeve gastrectomy for morbid obesity,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 962–969, 2007.
- J. L. Colquitt, J. Picot, E. Loveman, and A. J. Clegg, “Surgery for obesity,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 2, Article ID CD003641, 2009.
- E. Akkary, A. Duffy, and R. Bell, “Deciphering the sleeve: technique, indications, efficacy, and safety of sleeve gastrectomy,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1323–1329, 2008.
- F. B. Langer, M. A. R. Hoda, A. Bohdjalian et al., “Sleeve gastrectomy and gastric banding: effects on plasma ghrelin levels,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 1024–1029, 2005.
- J. Melissas, S. Koukouraki, J. Askoxylakis et al., “Sleeve gastrectomy: a restrictive procedure?” Obesity Surgery, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 57–62, 2007.
- J. Melissas, M. Daskalakis, S. Koukouraki et al., “Sleeve gastrectomy-a “food limiting” operation,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1251–1256, 2008.
- S. N. Karamanakos, K. Vagenas, F. Kalfarentzos, and T. K. Alexandrides, “Weight loss, appetite suppression, and changes in fasting and postprandial ghrelin and peptide-YY levels after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy: a prospective, double blind study,” Annals of surgery, vol. 247, no. 3, pp. 401–407, 2008.
- I. Braghetto, C. Davanzo, O. Korn et al., “Scintigraphic evaluation of gastric emptying in obese patients submitted to sleeve gastrectomy compared to normal subjects,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1515–1521, 2009.
- C. Tai, Y. Lee, M. Wu et al., “The effect of roux-en-Y gastric bypass on gastroesophageal reflux disease in morbidly obese chinese patients,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 565–570, 2009.
- E. Arias, P. R. Martínez, V. Ka Ming Li, S. Szomstein, and R. J. Rosenthal, “Mid-term follow-up after sleeve gastrectomy as a final approach for morbid obesity,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 544–548, 2009.
- I. Braghetto, A. Csendes, E. Lanzarini, K. Papapietro, C. Cárcamo, and J. C. Molina, “Is laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy an acceptable primary bariatric procedure in obese patients? Early and 5-year postoperative results,” Surgical Laparoscopy Endoscopy & Percutaneous Techniques, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 479–486, 2012.
- P. R. Carter, K. A. Leblanc, M. G. Hausmann, K. P. Kleinpeter, S. N. Debarros, and S. M. Jones, “Association between gastroesophageal reflux disease and laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 569–572, 2011.
- J. Himpens, J. Dobbeleir, and G. Peeters, “Long-term results of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for obesity,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 252, no. 2, pp. 319–324, 2010.
- D. D. Howard, A. M. Caban, J. C. Cendan, and K. Ben-David, “Gastroesophageal reflux after sleeve gastrectomy in morbidly obese patients,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 709–713, 2011.
- M. A. Lakdawala, A. Bhasker, D. Mulchandani, S. Goel, and S. Jain, “Comparison between the results of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and laparoscopic roux-en-y gastric bypass in the Indian population: a retrospective 1 year study,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2010.
- D. Nocca, D. Krawczykowsky, B. Bomans et al., “A prospective multicenter study of 163 sleeve gastrectomies: results at 1 and 2 years,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 560–565, 2008.
- C. M. Tai, C. K. Huang, Y. C. Lee, C. Y. Chang, C. T. Lee, and J. T. Lin, “Increase in gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms and erosive esophagitis 1 year after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy among obese adults,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 1260–1266, 2013.
- A. Chopra, E. Chao, Y. Etkin, L. Merklinger, J. Lieb, and H. Delany, “Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for obesity: can it be considered a definitive procedure?” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 831–837, 2012.
- L. Rawlins, M. P. Rawlins, C. C. Brown, and D. L. Schumacher, “Sleeve gastrectomy: 5 year outcomes of a single institution,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 21–25, 2013.
- R. A. Weiner, S. Weiner, I. Pomhoff, C. Jacobi, W. Makarewicz, and G. Weigand, “Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy—influence of sleeve size and resected gastric volume,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 1297–1305, 2007.
- I. Braghetto, E. Lanzarini, O. Korn, H. Valladares, J. C. Molina, and A. Henriquez, “Manometric changes of the lower esophageal sphincter after sleeve gastrectomy in obese patients,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 357–362, 2010.
- J. Himpens, G. Dapri, and G. B. Cadière, “A prospective randomized study between laparoscopic gastric banding and laparoscopic isolated sleeve gastrectomy: results after 1 and 3 years,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 1450–1456, 2006.
- R. T. Yehoshua, L. A. Eidelman, M. Stein et al., “Laparoscopic Sleeve gastrectomy—volume and pressure assessment,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1083–1088, 2008.
- M. Nahata, S. Muto, N. Oridate, et al., “Impaired ghrelin signaling is associated with gastrointestinal dysmotility in rats with gastroesophageal reflux disease,” American Journal of Physiology-Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology, vol. 303, no. 1, pp. G42–G53, 2012.
- O. Lazoura, D. Zacharoulis, G. Triantafyllidis et al., “Symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux following laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy are related to the final shape of the sleeve as depicted by radiology,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 295–299, 2011.
- T. Baumann, J. Grueneberger, G. Pache et al., “Three-dimensional stomach analysis with computed tomography after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: sleeve dilation and thoracic migration,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 2323–2329, 2011.
- J. Melissas, A. Leventi, I. Klinaki et al., “Alterations of global gastrointestinal motility after sleeve gastrectomy,” Annals of Surgery, 2012.
- S. Shah, P. Shah, J. Todkar, M. Gagner, S. Sonar, and S. Solav, “Prospective controlled study of effect of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy on small bowel transit time and gastric emptying half-time in morbidly obese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 152–157, 2010.
- S. Santoro, “Technical aspects in sleeve gastrectomy,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 1534–1535, 2007.
- J. L. Lortat-Jacob and F. Robert, “Les malpositions cardiotubérositaires,” Archives Françaises des Maladies de l'appareil Digestif, vol. 42, pp. 750–774, 1953.
- O. Korn, A. Csendes, P. Burdiles, I. Braghetto, and H. J. Stein, “Anatomic dilatation of the cardia and competence of the lower esophageal sphincter: a clinical and experimental study,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 398–406, 2000.
- P. J. Kahrilas, S. Lin, J. Chen, and M. Manka, “The effect of hiatus hernia on gastro-oesophageal junction pressure,” Gut, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 476–482, 1999.
- X. Yao and J. G. Forte, “Cell Biology of Acid Secretion by the Parietal Cell,” Annual Review of Physiology, vol. 65, pp. 103–131, 2003.
- J. Daes, M. E. Jimenez, N. Said, J. C. Daza, and R. Dennis, “Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux can be reduced by changes in surgical technique,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1874–1879, 2012.
- E. Soricelli, A. Iossa, G. Casella, F. Abbatini, B. Calì, and N. Basso, “Sleeve gastrectomy and crural repair in obese patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease and/or Hiatal Hernia,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 356–361, 2013.