- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 763624, 7 pages
Body Image Dissatisfaction Is Increased in Male and Overweight/Obese Adolescents in Botswana
1University of Botswana, Gaborone, Botswana
2Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, Botswana
3Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
4D’Youville College, Buffalo, NY 14201, USA
5School of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Received 10 January 2013; Accepted 21 February 2013
Academic Editor: Khosrow Adeli
Copyright © 2013 L. Malete et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. M. Popkin, L. S. Adair, and S. W. Ng, “Global nutrition transition and the pandemic of obesity in developing countries,” Nutrition Reviews, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 3–21, 2012.
- H. Al Sabbah, C. A. Vereecken, F. J. Elgar et al., “Body weight dissatisfaction and communication with parents among adolescents in 24 countries: international cross-sectional survey,” BMC Public Health, vol. 9, article 52, 2009.
- L. J. Chen, K. R. Fox, A. M. Haase, and P. W. Ku, “Correlates of body dissatisfaction among Taiwanese adolescents,” Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 172–179, 2010.
- V. Swami, D. A. Frederick, T. Aavik, et al., “The attractive female body weight and female body dissatisfaction in 26 countries across 10 world regions: results of the international body project I,” Personality & Social Psychology Bulletin, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 309–325, 2010.
- T. F. Cash and M. L. Szymanski, “The development and validation of the Body-Image Ideals Questionnaire,” Journal of Personality Assessment, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 466–477, 1995.
- E. T. Higgins, “Self-discrepancy: a theory relating self and affect,” Psychological Review, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 319–340, 1987.
- T. F. Cash, “Body-image attitudes: evaluation, investment, and affect,” Perceptual and Motor Skills, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 1168–1170, 1994.
- M. A. Kennedy, L. Templeton, A. Gandhi, and B. B. Gorzalka, “Asian body image satisfaction: ethnic and gender differences across Chinese, Indo-Asian and European-descent students,” Eating Disorders, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 321–336, 2004.
- M. Rguibi and R. Belahsen, “Body size preferences and sociocultural influences on attitudes towards obesity among Moroccan Sahraoui women,” Body Image, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 395–400, 2006.
- J. P. Calzo, K. R. Sonneville, J. Haines, E. A. Blood, A. E. Field, and S. Bryn Austin, “The development of associations among body mass index, body dissatisfaction, and weight and shape concern in adolescent boys and girls,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 517–523, 2012.
- K. R. Sonneville, J. P. Calzo, N. J. Horton, J. Haines, S. B. Austin, and A. E. Field, “Body satisfaction, weight gain and binge eating among overweight adolescent girls,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 944–949, 2012.
- A. Misra, N. K. Alappan, N. K. Vikram et al., “Effect of supervised progressive resistance-exercise training protocol on insulin sensitivity, glycemia, lipids, and Body composition in asian indians with type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 1282–1287, 2008.
- F. B. Gillison, M. Standage, and S. M. Skevington, “Motivation and body-related factors as discriminators of change in adolescents' exercise behavior profiles,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 44–51, 2011.
- C. D. Jensen and R. G. Steele, “Brief report: body dissatisfaction, weight criticism, and self-reported physical activity in preadolescent children,” Journal of Pediatric Psychology, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 822–826, 2009.
- B. H. Wrotniak, L. Malete, S. D. Maruapula, et al., “Association between socioeconomic status indicators and obesity in adolescent students in Botswana, an African country in rapid nutrition transition,” Pediatric Obesity, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. e9–e13, 2012.
- S. Shaibu, J. E. Holsten, N. Stettler, et al., “Adolescent obesity prevention in Botswana: beliefs and recommendations of school personnel,” The Journal of School Nursing, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 220–229, 2012.
- L. Malete, “Participant motivation, social influences, and patterns of physical activity involvement among Botswana youths,” vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 49–64, 2004.
- Office, B.C.S., “Education Statistics 2010,” 2010, http://www.cso.gov.bw/templates/cso/file/File/Education%20Stats%20Brief%202012%20(1).pdf.
- T. J. Cole, M. C. Bellizzi, K. M. Flegal, and W. H. Dietz, “Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey,” British Medical Journal, vol. 320, no. 7244, pp. 1240–1243, 2000.
- C. L. Craig, A. L. Marshall, M. Sjöström, et al., “International physical activity questionnaire: 12-country reliability and validity,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise's, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 1381–1395, 2003.
- J. S. Duncan, E. K. Duncan, and G. Schofield, “Associations between weight perceptions, weight control and body fatness in a multiethnic sample of adolescent girls,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 93–100, 2011.
- A. M. Prentice, “The emerging epidemic of obesity in developing countries,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 93–99, 2006.
- S. D. Maruapula, J. C. Jackson, J. Holsten, et al., “Socio-economic status and urbanization are linked to snacks and obesity in adolescents in Botswana,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 2260–2267, 2011.
- M. J. Pallan, L. C. Hiam, J. L. Duda, and P. Adab, “Body image, body dissatisfaction and weight status in south asian children: a cross-sectional study,” BMC Public Health, vol. 11, article 21, 2011.
- C. L. Araújo, S. C. Dumith, A. M. B. Menezes, and P. C. Hallal, “Measured weight, self-perceived weight, and associated factors in adolescents,” Revista Panamericana de Salud Publica, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 360–367, 2010.
- Office, B.C.S., “Household Income and Expenditure Survey 2002-2003,” 2004, http://www.cso.gov.bw/templates/cso/file/File/2002-03hies_report.pdf.