- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 790654, 7 pages
Body Fat and Body-Mass Index among a Multiethnic Sample of College-Age Men and Women
Center for Human Nutrition, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 14-193 Warren Hall, 900 Veteran Avenue, P.O. Box 951742, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Received 22 November 2012; Revised 8 February 2013; Accepted 22 February 2013
Academic Editor: Analiza M. Silva
Copyright © 2013 Catherine L. Carpenter et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. M. Flegal, M. D. Carroll, B. K. Kit, and C. L. Ogden, “Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among US adults, 1999–2010,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 307, pp. 491–497, 2012.
- H. B. Hubert, M. Feinleib, P. M. McNamara, and W. P. Castelli, “Obesity as an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease: a 26-year follow-up of participants in the Framingham Heart Study,” Circulation, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 968–977, 1983.
- F. B. Hu, J. E. Manson, M. J. Stampfer et al., “Diet, lifestyle, and the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus in women,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 345, no. 11, pp. 790–797, 2001.
- P. E. Peppard, T. Young, M. Palta, J. Dempsey, and J. Skatrud, “Longitudinal study of moderate weight change and sleep-disordered breathing,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 284, no. 23, pp. 3015–3021, 2000.
- C. L. Carpenter and L. Bernstein, “Obesity and cancer risk,” in Nutritional Oncology, D. Heber, G. Blackburn, V. L. Go, and J. Milner, Eds., Academic Press, Burlington, Mass, USA, 2nd edition, 2006.
- P. Manninen, H. Riihimaki, M. Heliovaara, and P. Makela, “Overweight, gender and knee osteroarthritis,” International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders, vol. 20, pp. 595–597, 1996.
- S. J. Olshansky, D. J. Passaro, R. C. Hershow et al., “A potential decline in life expectancy in the United States in the 21st century,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 352, no. 11, pp. 1138–1145, 2005.
- E. E. Calle, C. Rodriguez, K. Walker-Thurmond, and M. J. Thun, “Overweight, obesity, and mortality from cancer in a prospectively studied cohort of U.S. adults,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 17, pp. 1625–1638, 2003.
- K. F. Adams, A. Schatzkin, T. B. Harris et al., “Overweight, obesity, and mortality in a large prospective cohort of persons 50 to 71 years old,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 355, no. 8, pp. 763–778, 2006.
- T. Key, P. Appleby, I. Barnes, and G. Reeves, “Endogenous sex hormones and breast cancer in postmenopausal women: reanalysis of nine prospective studies,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 94, no. 8, pp. 606–616, 2002.
- C. L. Carpenter, R. K. Ross, A. Paganini-Hill, and L. Bernstein, “Effect of family history, obesity and exercise on breast cancer risk among postmenopausal women,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 106, no. 1, pp. 96–102, 2003.
- M. L. Slattery, C. Sweeney, S. Edwards et al., “Body size, weight change, fat distribution and breast cancer risk in Hispanic and non-Hispanic white women,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 85–101, 2007.
- D. Heber, S. Ingles, J. M. Ashley, M. H. Maxwell, R. F. Lyons, and R. M. Elashoff, “Clinical detection of sarcopenic obesity by bioelectrical impedance analysis,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 64, supplement 3, pp. 472s–477s, 1996.
- F. Curtin, A. Morabia, C. Pichard, and D. O. Slosman, “Body mass index compared to dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry: evidence for a spectrum bias,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 50, no. 7, pp. 837–843, 1997.
- J. M. Jakicic, R. R. Wing, and W. Lang, “Bioelectrical impedance analysis to assess body composition in obese adult women: the effect of ethnicity,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 243–249, 1998.
- P. Deurenberg, A. Andreoli, P. Borg et al., “The validity of predicted body fat percentage from body mass index and from impedance in samples of five European populations,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 55, no. 11, pp. 973–979, 2001.
- D. C. Frankenfield, W. A. Rowe, R. N. Cooney, J. S. Smith, and D. Becker, “Limits of body mass index to detect obesity and predict body composition,” Nutrition, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 26–30, 2001.
- C. J. Chang, C. H. Wu, C. S. Chang et al., “Low body mass index but high percent body fat in Taiwanese subjects: implications of obesity cutoffs,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 253–259, 2003.
- M. Kagawa, D. Kerr, H. Uchida, and C. W. Binns, “Differences in the relationship between BMI and percentage body fat between Japanese and Australian-Caucasian young men,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 1002–1007, 2006.
- E. M. Evans, D. A. Rowe, S. B. Racette, K. M. Ross, and E. McAuley, “Is the current BMI obesity classification appropriate for black and white postmenopausal women?” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 837–843, 2006.
- A. Romero-Corral, V. K. Somers, J. Sierra-Johnson et al., “Accuracy of body mass index in diagnosing obesity in the adult general population,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 959–966, 2008.
- P. Barnes, Physical Activity among Adults: United States, 2000 and 2005, National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, Md, USA; Center for Disease Control, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2007.
- WHO Expert Committee on Physical Status, “Physical status: the use and interpretation of anthropometry,” WHO Technical Report Series, vol. 854, pp. 1–416, 1995.
- WHO Expert Consultation, “Appropriate body-mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies,” The Lancet, vol. 363, pp. 157–163, 2004.
- K. M. Flegal, J. A. Shepherd, A. C. Looker et al., “Comparisons of percentage body fat, body mass index, waist circumference, and waist-stature ratio in adults,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 500–508, 2009.
- D. O. Okorodudu, M. F. Jumean, A. Romero-Corral, V. K. Somers, P. J. Erwin, and F. Lopez-Jimenez, “Diagnostic performance of body mass index to identify obesity as defined by body adiposity: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 791–799, 2010.
- D. G. Altman and J. M. Bland, “Diagnostic tests 1: sensitivity and specificity,” British Medical Journal, vol. 308, no. 6943, p. 1552, 1994.
- M. A. McDowell, C. D. Fryar, C. L. Ogden, and K. M. Flegal, “Anthropometric reference data for children and adults: U.S. population, 2003–2006,” National Health Statistics Reports, vol. 101, pp. 1–45, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Center for Health Statistics, 2008.
- D. Gallagher, M. Visser, D. Sepúlveda, R. N. Pierson, T. Harris, and S. B. Heymsfieid, “How useful is body mass index for comparison of body fatness across age, sex, and ethnic groups?” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 143, no. 3, pp. 228–239, 1996.
- H. C. Lukaski, “Body mass index, bioelectrical impedance, and body composition,” Nutrition, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 55–56, 2001.
- P. Deurenberg, M. Yap, and W. A. van Staveren, “Body mass index and percent body fat: a meta analysis among different ethnic groups,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1164–1171, 1998.
- S. Gurrici, Y. Hartriyanti, J. G. Hautvast, and P. Deurenberg, “Relationship between body fat and body mass index: differences between Indonesians and Dutch Caucasians,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 779–783, 1998.
- D. Gallagher, S. B. Heymsfield, M. Heo, S. A. Jebb, P. R. Murgatroyd, and Y. Sakamoto, “Healthy percentage body fat ranges: an approach for developing guidelines based on body mass index,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 694–701, 2000.
- K. P. Navder, Q. He, X. Zhang et al., “Relationship between body mass index and adiposity in prepubertal children: ethnic and geographic comparisons between New York City and Jinan City (China),” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 488–493, 2009.
- N. R. Shah and E. R. Braverman, “Measuring adiposity in patients: the utility of body mass index (BMI), percent body fat, and leptin,” Public Library of Science One, vol. 7, Article ID e33308, 2012.