- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 820956, 10 pages
The Relationship between Executive Function and Obesity in Children and Adolescents: A Systematic Literature Review
1Medical Student at the Medical University of South Carolina, 169 Ashley Avenue, Charleston, SC 29403, USA
2Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 2146 Belcourt Avenue, 2nd Floor, Nashville, TN 37212, USA
3Diabetes Research and Training Center, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, 1211 Medical Center Drive, Nashville, TN 37212, USA
Received 15 November 2012; Revised 7 January 2013; Accepted 21 January 2013
Academic Editor: Ajay K. Gupta
Copyright © 2013 Kaela R. S. Reinert et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [38 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Eli K. Po’e, William J. Heerman, Rishi S. Mistry, and Shari L. Barkin, “Growing Right Onto Wellness (GROW): A Family-Centered, Community-Based Obesity Prevention Randomized Controlled Trial for Preschool Child-Parent Pairs,” Contemporary Clinical Trials, 2013.
- Eli K. Po'e, William J. Heerman, Rishi S. Mistry, and Shari L. Barkin, “Growing Right Onto Wellness (GROW): A family-centered, community-based obesity prevention randomized controlled trial for preschool child-parent pairs,” Contemporary Clinical Trials, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 436–449, 2013.
- Samuele Cortese, Erika Comencini, Brenda Vincenzi, Mario Speranza, and Marco Angriman, “Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and impairment in executive functions: a barrier to weight loss in individuals with obesity?,” Bmc Psychiatry, vol. 13, 2013.
- Juvenal A. Ríos, Pedro Cisternas, Marco Arrese, Salesa Barja, and Nibaldo C. Inestrosa, “Is Alzheimer's Disease related to Metabolic Syndrome? A Wnt Signaling Conundrum,” Progress in Neurobiology, 2014.
- Peter A. Hall, and Theresa M. Marteau, “Executive function in the context of chronic disease prevention: Theory, research and practice,” Preventive Medicine, 2014.
- Tanja Legenbauer, and Adrian Meule, “Impulsivität bei Adipositas und Binge-Eating-Störung,” DNP - Der Neurologe und Psychiater, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 44–53, 2014.
- Ted M. Hsu, and Scott E. Kanoski, “Blood-brain barrier disruption: mechanistic links between Western diet consumption and dementia,” Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, vol. 6, 2014.
- Auriel A. Willette, and Dimitrios Kapogiannis, “Does the brain shrink as the waist expands?,” Ageing Research Reviews, 2014.
- Alyson A. Miller, and Sarah J. Spencer, “Obesity and neuroinflammation: A pathway to cognitive impairment,” Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 2014.
- Idoia Marqués-Iturria, Maite Garolera, Roser Pueyo, Bàrbara Segura, Imma Hernan, Isabel García-García, Consuelo Sánchez-Garre, María Vernet-Vernet, María José Sender-Palacios, Ana Narberhaus, Mar Ariza, Carme Junqué, and María Ángeles Jurado, “ The interaction effect between BDNF val66met polymorphism and obesity on executive functions and frontal structure ,” American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics, 2014.
- Jale Özyurt, Anna Lorenzen, Ursel Gebhardt, Monika Warmuth-Metz, Hermann L. Müller, and Christiane M. Thiel, “Remote effects of hypothalamic lesions in the prefrontal cortex of craniopharygioma patients,” Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, 2014.
- Adela Hruby, and Frank B. Hu, “The Epidemiology of Obesity: A Big Picture,” PharmacoEconomics, 2014.
- Karoline Groppe, and Birgit Elsner, “The influence of hot and cool executive function on the development of eating styles related to overweight in children,” Appetite, 2014.
- Jayanthi Raman, Phillipa Hay, and Evelyn Smith, “Manualised Cognitive Remediation Therapy for adult obesity: study protocol for a randomised controlled trial,” Trials, vol. 15, 2014.
- Petra Platte, Claus Voegele, and Adrian Meule, “Obesity in Childhood and Adolescence: Risk Factors, Prevention and Intervention,” Verhaltenstherapie, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 182–192, 2014.
- Karoline Groppe, and Birgit Elsner, “Executive function and weight status in children: A one-year longitudinal perspective,” Child Neuropsychology, pp. 1–19, 2015.
- Lance O. Bauer, “Visual Illusions and Inattention: Their Association with Adiposity Among Adolescent Girls,” Appetite, 2015.
- I. Esteban-Cornejo, C. M. Tejero-Gonzalez, J. Castro-Pinero, J. Conde-Caveda, V. Cabanas-Sanchez, J. F. Sallis, and Oscar L. Veiga, “Independent and combined influence of neonatal and current body composition on academic performance in youth: The UP & DOWN Study,” Pediatric Obesity, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 157–164, 2015.
- N. Lackner, S.A. Bengesser, A. Birner, A. Painold, F.T. Fellendorf, M. Platzer, B. Reininghaus, E.M. Weiss, H. Mangge, R.S. McIntyre, D. Fuchs, H.P. Kapfhammer, S.J. Wallner-Liebmann, and E.Z. Reininghaus, “Abdominal obesity is associated with impaired cognitive function in euthymic bipolar individuals,” The World Journal of Biological Psychiatry, pp. 1–12, 2015.
- Seung-Lark Lim, and Amanda S. Bruce, “Prospect theory and body mass: characterizing psychological parameters for weight-related risk attitudes and weight-gain aversion,” Frontiers in Psychology, vol. 6, 2015.
- N. Schott, and B. Holfelder, “Relationship between motor skill competency and executive function in children with Down's syndrome,” Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 2015.
- Sylvie Naar-King, Deborah A. Ellis, April Idalski Carcone, Thomas Templin, Angela J. Jacques-Tiura, Kathryn Brogan Hartlieb, Phillippe Cunningham, and Kai-Lin Catherine Jen, “Sequential Multiple Assignment Randomized Trial (SMART) to Construct Weight Loss Interventions for African American Adolescents,” Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology, pp. 1–14, 2015.
- Petra Warschburger, “SRT-Joy – computer-assisted self-regulation training for obese children and adolescents: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial,” Trials, vol. 16, no. 1, 2015.
- Maria Stefania Spagnuolo, Maria Pina Mollica, Bernardetta Maresca, Gina Cavaliere, Carolina Cefaliello, Giovanna Trinchese, Rosaria Scudiero, Marianna Crispino, and Luisa Cigliano, “High Fat Diet and Inflammation Modulation of Haptoglobin Level in Rat Brain,” Frontiers In Cellular Neuroscience, vol. 9, 2015.
- V. Alexandra Moser, and Christian J. Pike, “Obesity and sex interact in the regulation of Alzheimer's disease,” Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews, 2015.
- Anita Jansen, Katrijn Houben, and Anne Roefs, “A Cognitive Profile of Obesity and Its Translation into New Interventions,” Frontiers in Psychology, vol. 6, 2015.
- Eero A. Haapala, Aino-Maija Eloranta, Taisa Venalainen, Ursula Schwab, Virpi Lindi, and Timo A. Lakka, “Associations of diet quality with cognition in children - the Physical Activity and Nutrition in Children Study,” British Journal Of Nutrition, vol. 114, no. 7, pp. 1080–1087, 2015.
- Marissa A. Gowey, Sarah Stromberg, Crystal S. Lim, and David M. Janicke, “The Moderating Role of Body Dissatisfaction in the Relationship between ADHD Symptoms and Disordered Eating in Pediatric Overweight and Obesity,” Children's Health Care, pp. 151002115555009, 2015.
- Maria Chiara Gallotta, Gian Pietro Emerenziani, Sara Iazzoni, Marco Meucci, Carlo Baldari, and Laura Guidetti, “Impacts of coordinative training on normal weight and overweight/obese children’s attentional performance,” Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, vol. 9, 2015.
- Maria Chiara Gallotta, Gian Pietro Emerenziani, Sara Iazzoni, Marco Meucci, Carlo Baldari, and Laura Guidetti, “Impacts of coordinative training on normal weight and overweight/obese children's attentional performance,” Frontiers In Human Neuroscience, vol. 9, 2015.
- Eero A. Haapala, Niina Lintu, Juuso Vaisto, Leah E. Robinson, Anna Viitasalo, Virpi Lindi, and Timo A. Lakka, “Associations of Physical Performance and Adiposity with Cognition in Children,” Medicine And Science In Sports And Exercise, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 2166–2174, 2015.
- Adrian Meule, and Petra Platte, “Facets of impulsivity interactively predict body fat and binge eating in young women,” Appetite, 2015.
- D. Val-Laillet, E. Aarts, B. Weber, M. Ferrari, V. Quaresima, L.E. Stoeckel, M. Alonso-Alonso, M. Audette, C.H. Malbert, and E. Stice, “Neuroimaging and neuromodulation approaches to study eating behavior and prevent and treat eating disorders and obesity,” NeuroImage: Clinical, vol. 8, pp. 1–31, 2015.
- Tamara Wirt, Anja Schreiber, Dorothea Kesztyüs, and Jürgen M. Steinacker, “Early Life Cognitive Abilities and Body Weight: Cross-Sectional Study of the Association of Inhibitory Control, Cognitive Flexibility, and Sustained Attention with BMI Percentiles in Primary School Children,” Journal of Obesity, vol. 2015, pp. 1–10, 2015.
- Mudan Wu, Timo Brockmeyer, Mechthild Hartmann, Mandy Skunde, Wolfgang Herzog, and Hans-Christoph Friederich, “Reward-related decision making in eating and weight disorders: A systematic review and meta-analysis of the evidence from neuropsychological studies,” Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews, vol. 61, pp. 177–196, 2016.
- Shahrzad Kharabian Masouleh, Katrin Arélin, Annette Horstmann, Leonie Lampe, Judy A. Kipping, Tobias Luck, Steffi G. Riedel-Heller, Matthias L. Schroeter, Michael Stumvoll, Arno Villringer, and A. Veronica Witte, “Higher body mass index in older adults is associated with lower gray matter volume: implications for memory performance,” Neurobiology of Aging, 2016.
- BettyAnn A. Chodkowski, Ronald L. Cowan, and Kevin D. Niswender, “Imbalance in resting state functional connectivity is associated with eating behaviors and adiposity in children,” Heliyon, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. e00058, 2016.
- Bradley M. Appelhans, Simone A. French, Sherry L. Pagoto, and Nancy E. Sherwood, “Managing temptation in obesity treatment: A neurobehavioral model of intervention strategies,” Appetite, vol. 96, pp. 268–279, 2016.