- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 839275, 11 pages
Bariatric Surgery as Potential Treatment for Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: A Future Treatment by Choice or by Chance?
1Department of Emergency Medicine, The James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough TS4 3BW, UK
2Department of Medicine, Wexham Park Hospital, Slough, Berkshire SL2 4HL, UK
Received 1 November 2012; Accepted 20 December 2012
Academic Editor: Ahmed Almobarak
Copyright © 2013 Shuja Hafeez and Mohamed H. Ahmed. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [27 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Adnan Said, “Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and liver transplantation: Outcomes and advances,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 19, no. 48, pp. 9146–9155, 2013.
- AiXuan Holterman, Juan Gurria, Smita Tanpure, and Nerina Disomma, “Non alcoholic fatty liver disease and bariatric surgery in adolescents,” Seminars in Pediatric Surgery, 2013.
- Mariangela Morelli, Melania Gaggini, Giuseppe Daniele, Paolo Marraccini, and Rosa Sicari, “Ectopic fat: the true culprit linking obesity and cardiovascular disease?,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 651–660, 2013.
- Claudia Emanuelli Ebertz, Maria Lucia Bonfleur, Iala Milene Bertasso, Mariana Carla Mendes, Camila Lubaczeusk, Allan Cezar de Freitas Araujo, Antnio Marcus Paes, Elaine Manoela Porto de Amorim, and Sandra Lucinei Balbo, “Duodenal jejunal bypass attenuates non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in western diet-obese rats,” Acta Cirurgica Brasileira, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 608–614, 2014.
- Juan P. Arab, Roberto Candia, Rodrigo Zapata, Cristian Munoz, Juan P. Arancibia, Jaime Poniachik, Alejandro Soza, Francisco Fuster, Javier Brahm, Edgar Sanhueza, Jorge Contreras, M. Carolina Cuellar, Marco Arrese, and Arnoldo Riquelme, “Management of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: An evidence-based clinical practice review,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 20, no. 34, pp. 12182–12201, 2014.
- Christopher T. Kelly, Janet Mansoor, Lynis Dohm, William H. H. Chapman, John R. Pender, and Walter J. Pories, “Hyperinsulinemic syndrome: The metabolic syndrome is broader than you think,” Surgery, vol. 156, no. 2, pp. 405–411, 2014.
- Peter Dietrich, and Claus Hellerbrand, “Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, obesity and the metabolic syndrome,” Best Practice & Research Clinical Gastroenterology, 2014.
- Michael Subichin, Jesse Clanton, Marta Makuszewski, Ashley Bohon, John G. Zografakis, and Adrian Dan, “Liver disease in the morbidly obese: a review of 1000 consecutive patients undergoing weight loss surgery,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, 2014.
- Ye Liu, Rui Wei, and Tian-Pei Hong, “Potential roles of glucagon-like peptide-1-based therapies in treating non-alcoholic fatty liver disease,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 20, no. 27, pp. 9090–9097, 2014.
- Sandra Milic, Davorka Lulic, and Davor Stimac, “Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and obesity: Biochemical, metabolic and clinical presentations,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 20, no. 28, pp. 9330–9337, 2014.
- Gene Y. Im, Nir Lubezky, Marcelo E. Facciuto, and Thomas D. Schiano, “Surgery in Patients with Portal Hypertension A Preoperative Checklist and Strategies for Attenuating Risk,” Clinics in Liver Disease, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 477–+, 2014.
- Pooja Jha, Astrid Knopf, Harald Koefeler, Michaela Mueller, Carolin Lackner, Gerald Hoefler, Thierry Claudel, and Michael Trauner, “Role of Adipose Tissue in Methionine-Choline-deficient Model of Non-alcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH),” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular Basis of Disease, 2014.
- M. Vanderbeken, M. Warlaumont, R. Caiazzo, and M. Pigeyre, “La chirurgie bariatrique permet-elle une diminution du risque oncologique chez le sujet obèse ?,” Obésité, 2014.
- Elizabeth C. Verna, “Liver Biopsy at the Time of Bariatric Surgery: A Benefit for Patients and the Medical Community,” Seminars in Liver Disease, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2014.
- Jan Willem Elte, “Diabetes en de lever,” Tijdschrift voor praktijkondersteuning, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 174–177, 2014.
- Carmine Finelli, Maria Carmela Padula, Giuseppe Martelli, and Giovanni Tarantino, “Could the improvement of obesity-related co-morbidities depend on modified gut hormones secretion?,” World Journal Of Gastroenterology, vol. 20, no. 44, pp. 16649–16664, 2014.
- Stefano Ballestri, Giovanni Targher, Paola Loria, and Amedeo Lonardo, “Diagnosis and management of cardiovascular risk in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Expert Review of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, pp. 1–22, 2014.
- Akira Sasaki, Hiroyuki Nitta, Koki Otsuka, Akira Umemura, Shigeaki Baba, Toru Obuchi, and Go Wakabayashi, “Bariatric Surgery and Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: Current and Potential Future Treatments,” Frontiers in Endocrinology, vol. 5, 2014.
- Andrea Lazzati, Antonio Iannelli, Anne-Sophie Schneck, Anaïs Charles Nelson, Sandrine Katsahian, Jean Gugenheim, and Daniel Azoulay, “Bariatric Surgery and Liver Transplantation: a Systematic Review a New Frontier for Bariatric Surgery,” Obesity Surgery, 2014.
- Jisun Lim, Hye Soon Park, Seul Ki Lee, Yeon Jin Jang, Yeon Ji Lee, and Yoonseok Heo, “Longitudinal Changes in Serum Levels of Angiopoietin-Like Protein 6 and Selenoprotein P After Gastric Bypass Surgery,” Obesity Surgery, 2015.
- Christos S. Katsanos, James A. Madura, and Lori R. Roust, “Essential Amino Acid Ingestion as an Efficient Nutritional Strategy for the Preservation of Muscle Mass following Gastric Bypass Surgery,” Nutrition, 2015.
- Andreas Hillenbrand, Brigitte Kiebler, Cornelia Schwab, Ludger Scheja, Pengfei Xu, Doris Henne-Bruns, Anna Maria Wolf, and Uwe Knippschild, “Prevalence of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in four different weight related patient groups: association with small bowel length and risk factors,” BMC Research Notes, vol. 8, no. 1, 2015.
- Christian F. Rueda-Clausen, Ayodele A. Ogunleye, and Arya M. Sharma, “Health Benefits of Long-Term Weight-Loss Maintenance,” Annual Review of Nutrition, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 475–516, 2015.
- Valerio Nobili, Pietro Vajro, Antal Dezsofi, Bjorn Fischler, Nedim Hadzic, Joerg Jahnel, Thierry Lamireau, Patrick McKiernan, Valerie McLin, Piotr Socha, Sarah Tizzard, and Ulrich Baumann, “Indications and Limitations of Bariatric Intervention in Severely Obese Children and Adolescents With and Without Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 550–561, 2015.
- Patrick H. Alizai, Janica Wendl, Anjali A. Roeth, Christian D. Klink, Tom Luedde, Inga Steinhoff, Ulf P. Neumann, Maximilian Schmeding, and Florian Ulmer, “Functional Liver Recovery After Bariatric Surgery—a Prospective Cohort Study with the LiMAx Test,” Obesity Surgery, 2015.
- Andrew Smith, Ahmad Elnahas, Allan Okrainec, Fayez A. Quereshy, and Timothy D. Jackson, “Is Bariatric Surgery Safe in Patients with Cirrhosis? An Analysis of Short-Term Outcomes,” Bariatric Surgical Practice And Patient Care, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 19–23, 2015.
- Rocio Aller, David Pacheco, Olatz Izaola, David Primo, and Daniel A. de Luis, “Effect on Liver Enzymes of Biliopancreatic Diversion: 4 Years of Follow-Up,” Annals Of Nutrition And Metabolism, vol. 66, no. 2-3, pp. 132–136, 2015.