- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 878310, 7 pages
Health-Related Quality of Life in Obese Presurgery Patients with and without Binge Eating Disorder, and Subdiagnostic Binge Eating Disorders
1Division of Psychiatry, Department of Nidaros DPS, St. Olavs University Hospital, 7440 Trondheim, Norway
2Department of Neuroscience, Faculty of Medicine, NTNU, 7006 Trondheim, Norway
3Division of Psychiatry, Department of Research and Development, St. Olavs University Hospital, Østmarka, 7006 Trondheim, Norway
4Department of Psychology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, 7491 Trondheim, Norway
5Center of Obesity, St. Olavs University Hospital, 7006 Trondheim, Norway
Received 29 October 2012; Revised 30 January 2013; Accepted 18 February 2013
Academic Editor: Rob Martinus Van Dam
Copyright © 2013 Rita Marie Sandberg et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- WHO, Global Health Risks: Mortality and Burden of Disease Attributable to Selected Major Risks, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2009.
- J. B. Dixon, “The effect of obesity on health outcomes,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 316, no. 2, pp. 104–108, 2010.
- M. de Zwaan, “Binge eating disorder and obesity,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 25, supplement 1, pp. S51–S55, 2001.
- J. de Man Lapidoth, A. Ghaderi, and C. Norring, “A comparison of eating disorders among patients receiving surgical vs non-surgical weight-loss treatments,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 715–720, 2008.
- K. R. Fontaine and I. Barofsky, “Obesity and health-related quality of life,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 173–182, 2001.
- P. E. Jenkins, R. R. Hoste, C. Meyer, and J. M. Blissett, “Eating disorders and quality of life: a review of the literature,” Clinical Psychology Review, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 113–121, 2011.
- R. F. Kushner and G. D. Foster, “Obesity and quality of life,” Nutrition, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 947–952, 2000.
- J. G. Mæland, “Health and quality of live—two sides of the same coin?” in Medicinsk Årbog, R. Vejlsgaard, Ed., pp. 10–16, Munksgaard, København, Denmark, 1993.
- M. de Zwaan, J. E. Mitchell, L. M. Howell et al., “Two measures of health-related quality of life in morbid obesity,” Obesity Research, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. 1143–1151, 2002.
- K. R. Fontaine, S. J. Bartlett, and I. Barofsky, “Health-related quality of life among obese persons seeking and not currently seeking treatment,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 101–105, 2000.
- R. L. Kolotkin, R. D. Crosby, R. Pendleton, M. Strong, R. E. Gress, and T. Adams, “Health-related quality of life in patients seeking gastric bypass surgery vs non-treatment-seeking controls,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 371–377, 2003.
- R. L. Kolotkin, R. D. Crosby, and G. R. Williams, “Health-related quality of life varies among obese subgroups,” Obesity Research, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 748–756, 2002.
- A. M. A. van Nunen, E. J. M. Wouters, A. J. J. M. Vingerhoets, J. J. Hox, and R. Geenen, “The health-related quality of life of obese persons seeking or not seeking surgical or non-surgical treatment: a meta-analysis,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 1357–1366, 2007.
- C. A. McHorney, J. E. Ware, and A. E. Raczek, “The MOS 36-Item Short-Form Health Survey (SF-36): II. Psychometric and clinical tests of validity in measuring physical and mental health constructs,” Medical Care, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 247–263, 1993.
- J. E. Ware Jr., M. Kosinski, and S. D. Keller, “A 12-Item Short-Form Health Survey: construction of scales and preliminary tests of reliability and validity,” Medical Care, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 220–233, 1996.
- J. M. Mond, P. J. Hay, B. Rodgers, and C. Owen, “Comparing the health burden of eating-disordered behavior and overweight in women,” Journal of Women's Health, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 1081–1089, 2009.
- J. M. Mond, P. J. Hay, B. Rodgers, C. Owen, and P. J. V. Beumont, “Assessing quality of life in eating disorder patients,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 171–178, 2005.
- L. K. G. Hsu, B. Mulliken, B. McDonagh et al., “Binge eating disorder in extreme obesity,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 1398–1403, 2002.
- S. H. Niego, M. D. Kofman, J. J. Weiss, and A. Geliebter, “Binge eating in the bariatric surgery population: a review of the literature,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 349–359, 2007.
- J. de Man Lapidoth, A. Ghaderi, and C. Norring, “Eating disorders and disordered eating among patients seeking non-surgical weight-loss treatment in Sweden,” Eating Behaviors, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 15–26, 2006.
- J. K. Dahl, L. Eriksen, E. Vedul-Kjelsås et al., “Prevalence of all relevant eating disorders in patients waiting for bariatric surgery: a comparison between patients with and without eating disorders,” Eating and Weight Disorders, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. e247–e255, 2010.
- C. G. Fairburn and Z. Cooper, “The eating disorders examination,” in Binge Eating: Nature, Assessment and Treatment, C. G. Fairburn and G. T. Wilson, Eds., pp. 317–332, Guliford Press, New York, NY, USA, 12th edition, 1993.
- R. H. Striegel-Moore, F. A. Dohm, E. E. Solomon, C. G. Fairburn, K. M. Pike, and D. E. Wilfley, “Subthreshold binge eating disorder,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 270–278, 2000.
- J. K. Dahl, L. Eriksen, E. Vedul-Kjelsås et al., “Depression, anxiety and neuroticism in obese patients waiting for bariatric surgery: differences between patients with and without eating disorders and subthreshold binge eating disorders,” Obesity Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. e139–e147, 2012.
- J. de Man Lapidoth, A. Ghaderi, K. Halvarsson-Edlund, and C. Norring, “Psychometric properties of the Eating Disorders in Obesity questionnaire: validating against the Eating Disorder Examination interview,” Eating and Weight Disorders, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 168–175, 2007.
- C. G. Fairburn, Z. Cooper, and M. E. O'Connor, “The eating disorder examination (16. 0D),” in Cognitive Behavior Therapy and Eating Disorders, C. G. Fairburn, Ed., pp. 265–308, The Guilford Press, New York, NY, USA, 2008.
- C. G. Fairburn and B. T. Walsh, “Atypical eating disorders (Eating disorders not otherwise specified),” in Eating Disorders and Obesity: A Comprehensive Handbook, C. G. Fairburn and K. D. Brownell, Eds., pp. 171–177, The Guildford Press, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- B. Gandek, J. E. Ware, N. K. Aaronson et al., “Cross-validation of item selection and scoring for the SF-12 Health Survey in nine countries: results from the IQOLA Project. International Quality of Life Assessment,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 51, no. 11, pp. 1171–1178, 1998.
- T. V. Perneger and B. Burnand, “A simple imputation algorithm reduced missing data in SF-12 health surveys,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 142–149, 2005.
- M. J. Gardner and D. G. Altman, “Confidence intervals rather than P values,” in Statistics with Confidence, D. G. Altman, D. Machin, T. N. Bryant, and M. J. Gardner, Eds., pp. 15–27, British Medical Journal Books, London, UK, 2nd edition, 2000.
- J. Cohen, Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, Lawrence Erlbaum, London, UK, 2nd edition, 1988.
- S. J. Crow, W. Stewart Agras, K. Halmi, J. E. Mitchell, and H. C. Kraemer, “Full syndromal versus subthreshold anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and binge eating disorder: a multicenter study,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 309–318, 2002.
- H. Jia and E. I. Lubetkin, “The impact of obesity on health-related quality-of-life in the general adult US population,” Journal of Public Health, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 156–164, 2005.
- H. Ø. Lier, E. Biringer, B. Stubhaug, H. R. Eriksen, and T. Tangen, “Psychiatric disorders and participation in pre- and postoperative counselling groups in bariatric surgery patients,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 730–737, 2011.
- M. de Zwaan, J. E. Mitchell, L. M. Howell et al., “Characteristics of morbidly obese patients before gastric bypass surgery,” Comprehensive Psychiatry, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 428–434, 2003.
- M. Berger, “Toward maximizing the utility of consumer satisfaction on outcome,” in The Assessment of Psychotherapy Outcome, M. J. Lambert and S. S. Dejulio, Eds., pp. 56–80, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1983.
- C. M. Judd, E. R. Smith, and L. R. Kidder, Reasearch Methods in Social Relations, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Fort Worth, Tex, USA, 6th edition, 1991.
- M. de Zwaan, J. E. Mitchell, S. M. Specker, R. L. Pyle, M. P. Mussell, and H. C. Seim, “Diagnosing binge eating disorder: level of agreement between self-report and expert-rating,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 289–295, 1993.
- C. G. Fairburn and S. J. Beglin, “Assessment of eating disorders: interview or self-report questionnaire?” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 363–370, 1994.
- J. M. Mond, P. J. Hay, B. Rodgers, and C. Owen, “Self-report versus interview assessment of purging in a community sample of women,” European Eating Disorders Review, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 403–409, 2007.
- P. K. Keel, S. Crow, T. L. Davis, and J. E. Mitchell, “Assessment of eating disorders: comparison of interview and questionnaire data from a long-term follow-up study of bulimia nervosa,” Journal of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 1043–1047, 2002.
- M. L. Rowland, “Self-reported weight and height,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 1125–1133, 1990.
- M. Shields, S. C. Gorber, and M. S. Tremblay, “Estimates of obesity based on self-report versus direct measures,” Health Reports, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 61–76, 2008.
- J. C. Dekkers, M. F. van Wier, I. J. M. Hendriksen, J. W. R. Twisk, and W. van Mechelen, “Accuracy of self-reported body weight, height and waist circumference in a Dutch overweight working population,” BMC Medical Research Methodology, vol. 8, article 69, 2008.