- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 916468, 8 pages
Overweight, Obesity, and Neighborhood Characteristics among Postpartum Latinas
1College of Nursing and Health Innovation, Arizona State University, 500 N. 3rd Street, MC 3020, Phoenix, AZ 85004, USA
2Phoenix Veterans Affairs Health Care System, 650 E. Indian School Road, Building 21, Room 147, Phoenix, AZ 85012, USA
3Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Maricopa Integrated Health System, 2525 East Roosevelt Street, Phoenix, AZ 85008, USA
Received 17 October 2012; Accepted 9 January 2013
Academic Editor: Nangel M. Lindberg
Copyright © 2013 Colleen Keller et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. M. Flegal, M. D. Carroll, C. L. Ogden, and L. R. Curtin, “Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999–2008,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 303, no. 3, pp. 235–241, 2010.
- Department of Health and Human Services and Center for Disease Control and Prevention, “Pregnancy Complications,” 2012, http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/MaternalInfantHealth/PregComplications.htm/.
- A. V. M. Arizabaleta, L. O. Buitrago, A. C. A. de Plata, M. M. Escudero, and R. Ramírez-Vélez, “Aerobic exercise during pregnancy improves health-related quality of life: a randomised trial,” Journal of Physiotherapy, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 253–258, 2010.
- S. M. Asbee, T. R. Jenkins, J. R. Butler, J. White, M. Elliot, and A. Rutledge, “Preventing excessive weight gain during pregnancy through dietary and lifestyle counseling: a randomized controlled trial,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 305–311, 2009.
- H. M. Ehrenberg, L. Dierker, C. Milluzzi, and B. M. Mercer, “Prevalence of maternal obesity in an urban center,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 187, no. 5, pp. 1189–1193, 2002.
- E. P. Gunderson, M. A. Murtaugh, C. E. Lewis, C. P. Quesenberry, D. S. West, and S. Sidney, “Excess gains in weight and waist circumference associated with childbearing: the coronary artery risk development in young adults study (CARDIA),” International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 525–535, 2004.
- R. M. Luoto, T. I. Kinnunen, M. Aittasalo et al., “Prevention of gestational diabetes: design of a cluster-randomized controlled trial and one-year follow-up,” BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, vol. 10, article 39, 2010.
- T. Shirazian, S. Monteith, F. Friedman, and A. Rebarber, “Lifestyle modification program decreases pregnancy weight gain in obese women,” American Journal of Perinatology, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 411–414, 2010.
- D. F. Williamson, J. Madans, E. Pamuk, L. K. M. Flegal, J. S. Kendrick, and M. K. Serdula, “A prospective study of childbearing and 10-year weight gain in US white women 25 to 45 years of age,” International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 561–569, 1994.
- E. P. Gunderson and B. Abrams, “Epidemiology of gestational weight gain and body weight changes after pregnancy,” Epidemiologic Reviews, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 261–274, 2000.
- C. M. Devine, C. F. Bove, and C. M. Olson, “Continuity and change in women's weight orientations and lifestyle practices through pregnancy and the postpartum period: the influence of life course trajectories and transitional events,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 567–582, 2000.
- B. L. Rooney and C. W. Schauberger, “Excess pregnancy weight gain and long-term obesity: one decade later,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 245–252, 2002.
- M. Barrera Jr., D. J. Toobert, K. L. Angell, R. E. Glasgow, and D. P. Mackinnon, “Social support and social-ecological resources as mediators of lifestyle intervention effects for type 2 diabetes,” Journal of Health Psychology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 483–495, 2006.
- D. X. Marquez, E. McAuley, and N. Overman, “Psychosocial correlates and outcomes of physical activity among Latinos: a review,” Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 195–229, 2004.
- C. Keller and R. P. Treviño, “Effects of two frequencies of walking on cardiovascular risk factor reduction in Mexican American women,” Research in Nursing and Health, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 390–401, 2001.
- C. Keller, J. Allan, and M. B. Tinkle, “Stages of change, processes of change, and social support for exercise and weight gain in postpartum women,” Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 232–240, 2006.
- A. Gonzales and C. Keller, “Mi familia viene primero (my family comes first): physical activity issues in older Mexican American women,” Southern Online Journal of Nursing Research, vol. 5, no. 4, article 21, 2004.
- A. F. Abraído-Lanza, M. T. Chao, and K. R. Flórez, “Do healthy behaviors decline with greater acculturation? Implications for the Latino mortality paradox,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 1243–1255, 2005.
- K. R. Evenson, O. L. Sarmiento, K. W. Tawney, M. L. Macon, and A. S. Ammerman, “Personal, social, and environmental correlates of physical activity in North Carolina Latina immigrants,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 25, no. 3, supplement 1, pp. 77–85, 2003.
- W. C. Taylor, W. S. C. Poston, L. Jones, and M. K. Kraft, “Environmental justice: obesity, physical activity, and healthy eating,” Journal of Physical Activity & Health, vol. 3, supplement 1, pp. S30–S54, 2006.
- D. P. Do, T. Dubowitz, C. E. Bird, N. Lurie, J. J. Escarce, and B. K. Finch, “Neighborhood context and ethnicity differences in body mass index: a multilevel analysis using the NHANES III survey (1988–1994),” Economics and Human Biology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 179–203, 2007.
- C. S. Keller and A. Gonzales-Cantu, “Camina por Salud: walking in Mexican-American women,” Applied Nursing Research, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 110–113, 2008.
- J. F. Sallis, R. M. Grossman, R. B. Pinski, T. L. Patterson, and P. R. Nader, “The development of scales to measure social support for diet and exercise behaviors,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 825–836, 1987.
- C. D. Sherbourne and A. L. Stewart, “The MOS social support survey,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 705–714, 1991.
- B. Campos, C. D. Schetter, C. M. Abdou, C. J. Hobel, L. M. Glynn, and C. A. Sandman, “Familialism, social support, and stress: positive implications for pregnant Latinas,” Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 155–162, 2008.
- M. S. Mujahid, A. V. D. Roux, J. D. Morenoff, and T. Raghunathan, “Assessing the measurement properties of neighborhood scales: from psychometrics to ecometrics,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 165, no. 8, pp. 858–867, 2007.
- U. S. Census Bureau, “Selected social characteristics in the united states: 2007–2009 American Community Survey (ACS) 3-year estimates,” 2011.
- J. D. Ritchie, C. K. Miller, and H. Smiciklas-Wright, “Tanita foot-to-foot bioelectrical impedance analysis system validated in older adults,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 105, no. 10, pp. 1617–1619, 2005.
- G. M. Reaven, “Banting lecture 1988. Role of insulin resistance in human disease,” Diabetes, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 1595–1607, 1988.
- N. M. Lindberg and V. J. Stevens, “Immigration and weight gain: Mexican-American women's perspectives,” Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 155–160, 2011.
- K. M. Sussner, A. C. Lindsay, M. L. Greaney, and K. E. Peterson, “The influence of immigrant status and acculturation on the development of overweight in latino families: a qualitative study,” Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 497–505, 2008.
- H. Amaro and A. de la Torre, “Public health needs and scientific opportunities in research on Latinas,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 525–529, 2002.
- K. Y. Wolin, L. A. Colangelo, B. C. H. Chiu, and S. M. Gapstur, “Obesity and immigration among Latina women,” Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 428–431, 2009.
- R. Pérez-Escamilla, “Acculturation, nutrition, and health disparities in Latinos,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 1163S–1167S, 2011.
- G. X. Ayala, B. Baquero, and S. Klinger, “A systematic review of the relationship between acculturation and diet among Latinos in the United States: implications for future research,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 108, no. 8, pp. 1330–1344, 2008.
- P. Ford and D. Dzewaltowski, “Neighborhood deprivation, supermarket availability, and BMI in low income women: a multilevel analysis,” Journal of Community Health, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 785–796, 2011.
- J. M. Jurkowski, M. Mosquera, and B. Ramos, “Selected cultural factors associated with physical activity among Latino women,” Women's Health Issues, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 219–226, 2010.
- P. L. Thornton, E. C. Kieffer, Y. Salabarría-Peña et al., “Weight, diet, and physical activity-related beliefs and practices among pregnant and postpartum latino women: the role of social support,” Maternal and Child Health Journal, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 95–104, 2006.
- S. E. Keefe, A. Padilla, and M. Carlos, “The Mexican-American extended family as an emotional support system,” Human Organization, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 144–152, 1979.
- E. V. Sanchez-Vaznaugh, I. Kawachi, S. V. Subramanian, B. N. Sánchez, and D. Acevedo-Garcia, “Differential effect of birthplace and length of residence on body mass index (BMI) by education, gender and race/ethnicity,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 67, no. 8, pp. 1300–1310, 2008.