- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 920270, 5 pages
Obesity Status and Colorectal Cancer Screening in the United States
1Science Applications International Corporation, Rockville, MD, USA
2Department of Clinical and Administrative Pharmacy Sciences, Center for Minority Health Services Research, College of Pharmacy, Howard University, Washington, DC 20059, USA
3Department of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research, School of Pharmacy, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
4Division of Nursing, College of Nursing and Allied Health Science, Howard University, Washington, DC 20059, USA
Received 29 November 2012; Accepted 17 March 2013
Academic Editor: Michel M. Murr
Copyright © 2013 Karima A. Kendall et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- American Cancer Society, “Key Statistics on Colorectal Cancer,” 2011, http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/ColonandRectumCancer/ DetailedGuide/colorectal-cancer-key-statistics.
- L. A. G. Ries, D. Melbert, M. Krapcho et al., Eds., SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975–2005, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Md, USA, 2008, http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2005/.
- US Preventive Services Task Force, “Screening for colorectal cancer: recommendation and rationale,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 137, pp. 129–131, 2002.
- American Cancer Society, “What are the survival rates for colorectal cancer by stage?” 2011, http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/ColonandRectumCancer/DetailedGuide/colorectal-cancer-survival-rates.
- American Cancer Society, “Factors for Colorectal Cancer,” 2011, http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/ColonandRectumCancer/DetailedGuide/colorectal-cancer-risk-factors.
- A. E. Field, E. H. Coakley, A. Must et al., “Impact of overweight on the risk of developing common chronic diseases during a 10-year period,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 161, no. 13, pp. 1581–1586, 2001.
- M. Heo, D. B. Allison, and K. R. Fontaine, “Overweight, obesity, and colorectal cancer screening: disparity between men and women,” BMC Public Health, vol. 4, article 53, 2004.
- A. B. Rosen and E. C. Schneider, “Colorectal cancer screening disparities related to obesity and gender,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 332–338, 2004.
- J. M. Ferrante, P. Ohman-Strickland, S. V. Hudson, K. A. Hahn, J. G. Scott, and B. F. Crabtree, “Colorectal cancer screening among obese versus non-obese patients in primary care practices,” Cancer Detection and Prevention, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 459–465, 2006.
- C. C. Wee, R. S. Phillips, and E. P. McCarthy, “BMI and cervical cancer screening among white, African-American, and hispanic women in the United States,” Obesity Research, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 1275–1280, 2005.
- V. W. Chang, D. A. Asch, and R. M. Werner, “Quality of care among obese patients,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 303, no. 13, pp. 1274–1281, 2010.
- Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services, “Medicare Current Beneficiary Survey Overview,” 2011, http://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Research/MCBS/index.html?redirect=/MCBS.
- Research Data Assistance Center, “MCBS Frequently Asked Questions,” 2011, http://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Research/ResearchGenInfo/ResearchDataAssistanceCenter.html.
- A. Lo, A. Chu, and R. Apodaca, Redesign of the Medicare Current Beneficiary Survey Sample, Westat, Inc., Rockville, Md, USA, 2003, http://www.amstat.org/sections/srms/Proceedings/y2002/Files/JSM2002-000662.pdf.
- World Health Organization, Obesity: Preventing And Managing the Global Epidemic: Report of a WHO Consultation on Obesity, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 2000, http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/obesity/WHO_TRS_894/en/index.html.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention, “Overweight and obesity,” 2011, http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/index.html.
- C. W. Wee, E. P. McCarthy, R. B. Davis, and R. S. Phillips, “Screening for cervical and breast cancer: is obesity an unrecognized barrier to preventive care?” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 132, no. 9, pp. 697–704, 2000.
- C. D. Scales Jr., L. H. Curtis, R. D. Norris, K. A. Schulman, P. Dahm, and J. W. Moul, “Relationship between body mass index and prostate cancer screening in the United States,” Journal of Urology, vol. 177, no. 2, pp. 493–498, 2007.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, “Medicare Eligibility. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services,” 2008, http://www.medicare.gov/MedicareEligibility/Home.asp?dest=NAV|Home|GeneralEnrollment#TabTop.
- National Task Force on the Prevention and Treatment of Obesity, “Medical care for obese patients: advice for health care professionals,” American Family Physician, vol. 65, pp. 81–88, 2002.