- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 934653, 6 pages
Short- and Midterm Results between Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass and Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy for the Treatment of Morbid Obesity
Department of Digestive and Bariatric Surgery, TOURS University Hospital (Hôpital Trousseau), Avenue de la République, Chambray lès Tours, 37170 Tours, France
Received 5 March 2013; Accepted 1 August 2013
Academic Editor: Renato Pasquali
Copyright © 2013 Bandar Albeladi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. R. Fontaine, D. T. Redden, C. Wang, A. O. Westfall, and D. B. Allison, “Years of life lost due to obesity,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 289, no. 2, pp. 187–193, 2003.
- S. Z. Yanovski, “Overweight, obesity, and health risk: National Task Force on the Prevention and Treatment of Obesity,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 160, no. 7, pp. 898–904, 2000.
- J. V. A. Franco, P. A. Ruiz, M. Palermo, and M. Gagner, “A review of studies comparing three laparoscopic procedures in bariatric surgery: sleeve gastrectomy, roux-en-y gastric bypass and adjustable gastric banding,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1458–1468, 2011.
- J. Karlsson, C. Taft, A. Rydén, L. Sjöström, and M. Sullivan, “Ten-year trends in health-related quality of life after surgical and conventional treatment for severe obesity: the SOS intervention study,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 1248–1261, 2007.
- M. Daskalakis and R. A. Weiner, “Sleeve gastrectomy as a single-stage bariatric operation: indications and limitations,” Obesity Facts, vol. 2, supplement 1, pp. 8–10, 2009.
- H. Buchwald, Y. Avidor, E. Braunwald et al., “Bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 292, no. 14, pp. 1724–1737, 2004.
- L. Sjöström, A. Lindroos, M. Peltonen et al., “Lifestyle, diabetes, and cardiovascular risk factors 10 years after bariatric surgery,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, no. 26, pp. 2683–2693, 2004.
- S. Aggarwal, S. U. Kini, and D. M. Herron, “Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for morbid obesity: a review,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 189–194, 2007.
- F. X. Felberbauer, F. Langer, S. Shakeri-Manesch et al., “Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy as an isolated bariatric procedure: intermediate-term results from a large series in three Austrian centers,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 814–818, 2008.
- P. Topart, G. Becouarn, and P. Ritz, “Comparative early outcomes of three laparoscopic bariatric procedures: sleeve gastrectomy, Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, and biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 250–254, 2012.
- H. Buchwald, R. Estok, K. Fahrbach et al., “Weight and type 2 diabetes after bariatric surgery: systematic review and meta analysis,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 122, no. 3, pp. 248.e5–256.e5, 2009.
- A. Baltasar, C. Serra, N. Pérez, R. Bou, M. Bengochea, and L. Ferri, “Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: a multi-purpose bariatric operation,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 1124–1128, 2005.
- M. J. Martin, P. S. Mullenix, S. R. Steele, C. S. See, D. G. Cuadrado, and P. L. Carter, “A case-match analysis of failed prior bariatric procedures converted to resectional gastric bypass,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 187, no. 5, pp. 666–671, 2004.
- J. Ortega, C. Sala, B. Flor et al., “Vertical banded gastroplasty converted to Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: little impact on nutritional status after 5-year follow-up,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 638–643, 2004.
- J. Papailiou, K. Albanopoulos, K. G. Toutouzas, C. Tsigris, N. Nikiteas, and G. Zografos, “Morbid obesity and sleeve gastrectomy: how does it work?” Obesity Surgery, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 1448–1455, 2010.
- N. Pech, F. Meyer, H. Lippert, et al., “Complications and nutrient deficiencies two years after sleeve gastrectomy,” BMC Surgery, vol. 12, article 13, 2012.
- I. Braghetto, C. Cortes, D. Herquiñigo et al., “Evaluation of the radiological gastric capacity and evolution of the BMI 2-3 years after sleeve gastrectomy,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 1262–1269, 2009.
- J. L. Leyba, S. N. Aulestia, and S. N. Llopis, “Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass versus laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for the treatment of morbid obesity. a prospective study of 117 patients,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 212–216, 2011.
- M. A. Lakdawala, A. Bhasker, D. Mulchandani, S. Goel, and S. Jain, “Comparison between the results of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and laparoscopic roux-en-y gastric bypass in the Indian population: a retrospective 1 year study,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2010.
- I. Kehagias, S. N. Karamanakos, M. Argentou, and F. Kalfarentzos, “Randomized clinical trial of laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass versus laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for the management of patients with BMI<50 kg/m2,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1650–1656, 2011.
- C. Boza, C. Gamboa, J. Salinas, P. Achurra, A. Vega, and G. Pérez, “Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass versus laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: a case-control study and 3 years of follow-up,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 243–249, 2012.
- P. Vidal, J. M. Ramón, L. Grande, et al., “Laparoscopic gastric bypass versus laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy as a definitive surgical procedure for morbid obesity. Mid-term results,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 292–299, 2013.
- D. E. Bellanger and F. L. Greenway, “Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy, 529 cases without a leak: short-term results and technical considerations,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 146–150, 2011.
- S. N. Karamanakos, K. Vagenas, F. Kalfarentzos, and T. K. Alexandrides, “Weight loss, appetite suppression, and changes in fasting and postprandial ghrelin and peptide-YY levels after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy: a prospective, double blind study,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 247, no. 3, pp. 401–407, 2008.
- D. E. Cummings, D. S. Weigle, R. S. Frayo et al., “Plasma ghrelin levels after diet-induced weight loss or gastric bypass surgery,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 346, no. 21, pp. 1623–1630, 2002.
- C. W. le Roux, R. Welbourn, M. Werling et al., “Gut hormones as mediators of appetite and weight loss after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 246, no. 5, pp. 780–785, 2007.
- R. Cohen, B. Uzzan, H. Bihan, I. Khochtali, G. Reach, and J. M. Catheline, “Ghrelin levels and sleeve gastrectomy in super-super-obesity,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 1501–1502, 2005.
- M. Helmio, M. Victorzon, J. Ovaska et al., “SLEEVEPASS: a randomized prospective multicenter study comparing laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass in the treatment of morbid obesity: preliminary results,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 2521–2526, 2012.
- E. K. Chouillard, A. Karaa, M. Elkhoury, and V. J. Greco, “Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass versus laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for morbid obesity: case-control study,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 500–505, 2011.