- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 937572, 8 pages
Endocrine and Metabolic Signaling in Retroperitoneal White Adipose Tissue Remodeling during Cold Acclimation
1Department of Physiology, Institute for Biological Research “Sinisa Stankovic”, University of Belgrade, 11060 Belgrade, Serbia
2Faculty of Biology, Center for Electron Microscopy, University of Belgrade, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
Received 4 December 2012; Revised 1 April 2013; Accepted 2 April 2013
Academic Editor: Francesco Saverio Papadia
Copyright © 2013 Aleksandra Jankovic et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Himms-Hagen, “Lipid metabolism during cold-exposure and during cold-acclimation,” Lipids, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 310–323, 1972.
- P. E. Penner and J. Himms-Hagen, “Gluconeogenesis in rats during cold acclimation,” Canadian Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 1205–1213, 1968.
- L. J. Bukowiecki, “Regulation of energy expenditure in brown adipose tissue,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 31–41, 1985.
- M. Shiota and S. Masumi, “Effect of norepinephrine on consumption of oxygen in perfused skeletal muscle from cold-exposed rats,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 254, no. 4, part 1, pp. E482–E489, 1988.
- S. Iossa, A. Barletta, and G. Liverini, “Different effects of cold exposure and cold acclimation on rat liver mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation and ketone bodies production,” International Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 425–431, 1994.
- A. A. Zaninovich, I. Rebagliati, M. Raíces, C. Ricci, and K. Hagmüller, “Mitochondrial respiration in muscle and liver from cold-acclimated hypothyroid rats,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 95, pp. 1584–1590, 2003.
- M. Vučetić, V. Otašević, A. Korać, et al., “Interscapular brown adipose tissue metabolic reprogramming during cold acclimation: interplay of HIF-1α and AMPKα,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1810, no. 12, pp. 1252–1261, 2011.
- P. Trayhurn and M. Ashwell, “Control of white and brown adipose tissues by the autonomic nervous system,” Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 135–142, 1987.
- P. B. Jakus, A. Sandor, T. Janaky, and V. Farkas, “Cooperation between BAT and WAT of rats in thermogenesis in response to cold, and the mechanism of glycogen accumulation in BAT during reacclimation,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 332–339, 2008.
- S. Cinti, “The adipose organ,” Prostaglandins Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 9–15, 2005.
- A. Smorlesi, A. Frontini, A. Giordano, and S. Cinti, “The adipose organ: white-brown adipocyte plasticity and metabolic inflammation,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 13, no. supplement 2, pp. 83–96, 2012.
- P. Wang, E. Mariman, J. Renes, and J. Keijer, “The secretory function of adipocytes in the physiology of white adipose tissue,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 216, no. 1, pp. 3–13, 2008.
- Q. Wang, C. Bing, K. Al-Barazanji et al., “Interactions between leptin and hypothalamic neuropeptide Y neurons in the control of food intake and energy homeostasis in the rat,” Diabetes, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 335–341, 1997.
- P. Trayhurn, J. S. Duncan, and D. V. Rayner, “Acute cold-induced suppression of ob (obese) gene expression in white adipose tissue of mice: mediation by the sympathetic system,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 311, no. 3, pp. 729–733, 1995.
- C. Bing, H. M. Frankish, L. Pickavance et al., “Hyperphagia in cold-exposed rats is accompanied by decreased plasma leptin but unchanged hypothalamic NPY,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 274, no. 1, pp. R62–R68, 1998.
- G. B. Tang, J. G. Cui, and D. H. Wang, “Role of hypoleptinemia during cold adaptation in Brandt's voles (Lasiopodomys brandtii),” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 297, no. 5, pp. R1293–R1301, 2009.
- M. Puerta, M. Abelenda, M. Rocha, and P. Trayhurn, “Effect of acute cold exposure on the expression of the adiponectin, resistin and leptin genes in rat white and brown adipose tissues,” Hormone and Metabolic Research, vol. 34, no. 11-12, pp. 629–634, 2002.
- M. A. Torsoni, J. B. Carvalheira, M. Pereira-Da-Silva, M. A. De Carvalho-Filho, M. J. A. Saad, and L. A. Velloso, “Molecular and functional resistance to insulin in hypothalamus of rats exposed to cold,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 285, no. 1, pp. E216–E223, 2003.
- T. Yamauchi, J. Kamon, Y. Minokoshi et al., “Adiponectin stimulates glucose utilization and fatty-acid oxidation by activating AMP-activated protein kinase,” Nature Medicine, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 1288–1295, 2002.
- X. Wu, H. Motoshima, K. Mahadev, T. J. Stalker, R. Scalia, and B. J. Goldstein, “Involvement of AMP-activated protein kinase in glucose uptake stimulated by the globular domain of adiponectin in primary rat adipocytes,” Diabetes, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 1355–1363, 2003.
- L. Qiao, B. Kinney, J. Schaack, and J. Shao, “Adiponectin inhibits lipolysis in mouse adipocytes,” Diabetes, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 1519–1527, 2011.
- M. Daval, F. Foufelle, and P. Ferré, “Functions of AMP-activated protein kinase in adipose tissue,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 574, no. 1, pp. 55–62, 2006.
- M. Pravenec, L. Kazdová, M. Cahová, et al., “Fat-specific transgenic expression of resistin in the spontaneously hypertensive rat impairs fatty acid re-esterification,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 30, pp. 1157–1159, 2006.
- L. Rochon and L. J. Bukowiecki, “Alterations in adipocyte response to lipolytic hormones during cold acclimation,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 258, no. 5, part 1, pp. C835–C840, 1990.
- A. L. Vallerand, F. Perusse, and L. J. Bukowiecki, “Stimulatory effects of cold exposure and cold acclimation on glucose uptake in rat peripheral tissues,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 259, no. 5, pp. R1043–R1049, 1990.
- E. Bobbioni-Harsch, F. Assimacopoulos-Jeannet, and B. Jeanrenaud, “Modifications of glucose and lipid metabolism in cold-acclimated lean and genetically obese rats,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 1106–1112, 1994.
- N. Halberg, T. Khan, M. E. Trujillo et al., “Hypoxia-inducible factor 1α induces fibrosis and insulin resistance in white adipose tissue,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 29, no. 16, pp. 4467–4483, 2009.
- B. Wang, I. S. Wood, and P. Trayhurn, “Dysregulation of the expression and secretion of inflammation-related adipokines by hypoxia in human adipocytes,” Pflügers Archiv, vol. 455, no. 3, pp. 479–492, 2007.
- C. T. Lim, B. Kola, and M. Korbonits, “AMPK as a mediator of hormonal signalling,” Journal of Molecular Endocrinology, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 87–97, 2010.
- Y. Takada, T. Noguchi, T. Okabe, et al., “Superoxide dismutase in various tissues from rabbits bearing the Vx-2 carcinoma in the maxillary sinus,” Cancer Research, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 4233–4235, 1982.
- O. H. Lowry, N. J. Rosebrough, A. L. Farr, and R. J. Randall, “Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 265–275, 1951.
- U. K. Laemmli, “Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4,” Nature, vol. 227, no. 5259, pp. 680–685, 1970.
- N. Kubota, W. Yano, T. Kubota et al., “Adiponectin stimulates AMP-activated protein kinase in the hypothalamus and increases food intake,” Cell Metabolism, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 55–68, 2007.
- M. Fasshauer, J. Klein, S. Neumann, M. Eszlinger, and R. Paschke, “Adiponectin gene expression is inhibited by β-adrenergic stimulation via protein kinase A in 3T3-L1 adipocytes,” FEBS Letters, vol. 507, no. 2, pp. 142–146, 2001.
- J. Imai, H. Katagiri, T. Yamada et al., “Cold exposure suppresses serum adiponectin levels through sympathetic nerve activation in mice,” Obesity, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 1132–1141, 2006.
- P. Imbeault, “Environmental influences on adiponectin levels in humans,” Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 505–511, 2007.
- E. Tomas, T. S. Tsao, A. K. Saha et al., “Enhanced muscle fat oxidation and glucose transport by ACRP30 globular domain: acetyl-CoA carboxylase inhibition and AMP-activated protein kinase activation,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 25, pp. 16309–16313, 2002.
- D. G. Hardie, “Minireview: the AMP-activated protein kinase cascade: the key sensor of cellular energy status,” Endocrinology, vol. 144, no. 12, pp. 5179–5183, 2003.
- H. Sell, D. Dietze-Schroeder, K. Eckardt, and J. Eckel, “Cytokine secretion by human adipocytes is differentially regulated by adiponectin, AICAR, and troglitazone,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 343, no. 3, pp. 700–706, 2006.
- A. Janković, B. Buzadžić, A. Korać, et al., “Antioxidative defense organization in retroperitoneal white adipose tissue during acclimation to cold—the involvement of l-arginine/NO pathway,” Journal of Thermal Biology, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 358–365, 2009.
- A. T. R. Sim and D. G. Hardie, “The low activity of acetyl-CoA carboxylase in basal and glucagon-stimulated hepatocytes is due to phosphorylation by the AMP-activated protein kinase and not cyclic AMP-dependent protein kinase,” FEBS Letters, vol. 233, no. 2, pp. 294–298, 1988.
- M. Fasshauer, R. Paschke, and M. Stumvoll, “Adiponectin, obesity, and cardiovascular disease,” Biochimie, vol. 86, no. 11, pp. 779–784, 2004.
- P. Puigserver, Z. Wu, C. W. Park, R. Graves, M. Wright, and B. M. Spiegelman, “A cold-inducible coactivator of nuclear receptors linked to adaptive thermogenesis,” Cell, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 829–839, 1998.
- C. Tiraby and D. Langin, “Conversion from white to brown adipocytes: a strategy for the control of fat mass?” Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 439–441, 2003.
- M. Ghorbani and J. Himms-Hagen, “Appearance of brown adipocytes in white adipose tissue during CL 316,243-induced reversal of obesity and diabetes in Zucker fa/fa rats,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 465–475, 1997.
- S. Cinti, “Adipocyte differentiation and transdifferentiation: plasticity of the adipose organ,” Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 823–835, 2002.