- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 951954, 9 pages
Ultrasound Estimates of Visceral and Subcutaneous-Abdominal Adipose Tissues in Infancy
1MRC Epidemiology Unit, Institute of Metabolic Science, Addenbrooke’s Hospital, P.O. Box 285, Cambridge CB2 0QQ, UK
2Department of Epidemiology, Groningen University, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
3Section of Neonatal Medicine, Department of Medicine Chelsea and Westminster Hospital Campus, Imperial College London, London SW10 9NH, UK
4Department of Paediatrics, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke’s Hospital, P.O. Box 116, Cambridge CB2 0QQ, UK
Received 21 December 2012; Revised 22 March 2013; Accepted 27 March 2013
Academic Editor: Analiza M. Silva
Copyright © 2013 Emanuella De Lucia Rolfe et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. L. Ogden, M. D. Carroll, B. K. Kit, and K. M. Flegal, “Prevalence of obesity and trends in body mass index among US children and adolescents, 1999–2010,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 307, no. 5, pp. 483–490, 2012.
- N. Gupta, K. Goel, P. Shah, and A. Misra, “Childhood obesity in developing countries: epidemiology, determinants, and prevention,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 48–70, 2012.
- T. M. Wijnhoven, J. M. van Raaij, A. Spinelli, et al., “WHO European Childhood Obesity Surveillance Initiative 2008: weight, height and body mass index in 6–9-year-old children,” Pediatric Obesity, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 79–97, 2013.
- S. Zhu, Z. Wang, S. Heshka, M. Heo, M. S. Faith, and S. B. Heymsfield, “Waist circumference and obesity-associated risk factors among whites in the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: clinical action thresholds,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 743–749, 2002.
- J. P. Després, “Is visceral obesity the cause of the metabolic syndrome?” Annals of Medicine, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 52–63, 2006.
- K. G. Alberti and P. Z. Zimmet, “Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Part 1: diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus provisional report of a WHO consultation,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 539–553, 1998.
- P. J. Teixeira, L. B. Sardinha, S. B. Going, and T. G. Lohman, “Total and regional fat and serum cardiovascular disease risk factors in lean and obese children and adolescents,” Obesity Research, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 432–442, 2001.
- J. Botton, B. Heude, A. Kettaneh et al., “Cardiovascular risk factor levels and their relationships with overweight and fat distribution in children: the Fleurbaix Laventie Ville Sante II study,” Metabolism, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 614–622, 2007.
- C. S. Fox, J. M. Massaro, U. Hoffmann et al., “Abdominal visceral and subcutaneous adipose tissue compartments: association with metabolic risk factors in the framingham heart study,” Circulation, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 39–48, 2007.
- K. Azuma, L. K. Heilbronn, J. B. Albu, S. R. Smith, E. Ravussin, and D. E. Kelley, “Adipose tissue distribution in relation to insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes mellitus,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 293, no. 1, pp. E435–E442, 2007.
- K. K. L. Ong, M. L. Ahmed, D. B. Dunger, P. M. Emmett, and M. A. Preece, “Association between postnatal catch-up growth and obesity in childhood: prospective cohort study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 320, no. 7240, pp. 967–971, 2000.
- M. Barker, S. Robinson, C. Osmond, and D. J. P. Barker, “Birth weight and body fat distribution in adolescent girls,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 381–383, 1997.
- T. Forsen, J. Eriksson, J. Tuomilehto, A. Reunanen, C. Osmond, and D. Barker, “The fetal and childhood growth of persons who develop type 2 diabetes,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 133, no. 3, pp. 176–182, 2000.
- A. Singhal, M. Fewtrell, T. J. Cole, and A. Lucas, “Low nutrient intake and early growth for later insulin resistance in adolescents born preterm,” The Lancet, vol. 361, no. 9363, pp. 1089–1097, 2003.
- N. Stettler, V. A. Stallings, A. B. Troxel et al., “Weight gain in the first week of life and overweight in adulthood: a cohort study of European American subjects fed infant formula,” Circulation, vol. 111, no. 15, pp. 1897–1903, 2005.
- C. M. Law, D. J. P. Barker, C. Osmond, C. H. D. Fall, and S. J. Simmonds, “Early growth and abdominal fatness in adult life,” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 184–186, 1992.
- M. J. Siegel, C. F. Hildebolt, K. T. Bae, C. Hong, and N. H. White, “Total and intraabdominal fat distribution in preadolescents and adolescents: measurement with MR imaging,” Radiology, vol. 242, no. 3, pp. 846–856, 2007.
- S. Holzhauer, R. M. L. Zwijsen, V. W. V. Jaddoe et al., “Sonographic assessment of abdominal fat distribution in infancy,” European Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 521–529, 2009.
- T. A. M. Harrington, E. L. Thomas, G. Frost, N. Modi, and J. D. Bell, “Distribution of adipose tissue in the newborn,” Pediatric Research, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 437–441, 2004.
- E. De Lucia Rolfe, A. Sleigh, F. M. Finucane et al., “Ultrasound measurements of visceral and subcutaneous abdominal thickness to predict abdominal adiposity among older men and women,” Obesity, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 625–631, 2010.
- S. K. Kim, H. J. Kim, K. Y. Hur et al., “Visceral fat thickness measured by ultrasonography can estimate not only visceral obesity but also risks of cardiovascular and metabolic diseases,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 593–599, 2004.
- F. Armellini, M. Zamboni, R. Robbi et al., “Total and intra-abdominal fat measurements by ultrasound and computerized tomography,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 209–214, 1993.
- R. P. Stolk, O. Wink, P. M. J. Zelissen, R. Meijer, A. P. G. Van Gils, and D. E. Grobbee, “Validity and reproducibility of ultrasonography for the measurement of intra-abdominal adipose tissue,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 1346–1351, 2001.
- E. Merino-Ibarra, M. Artieda, A. Cenarro et al., “Ultrasonography for the evaluation of visceral fat and the metabolic syndrome,” Metabolism, vol. 54, no. 9, pp. 1230–1235, 2005.
- K. K. Ong, M. Langkamp, M. B. Ranke et al., “Insulin-like growth factor I concentrations in infancy predict differential gains in body length and adiposity: the Cambridge Baby Growth Study,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 156–161, 2009.
- R. D. Lee and D. C. Nieman, “Anthropometry,” in Nutritional Assessment—Anthropometric, Biochemical, Clinical, Dietary, R. L. Lee, Ed., chapter 6, p. 689, McGraw-Hill Science Engineering, 1996.
- J. V. Freeman, T. J. Cole, S. Chinn, P. R. M. Jones, E. M. White, and M. A. Preece, “Cross sectional stature and weight reference curves for the UK, 1990,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 17–24, 1995.
- S. Uthaya, E. L. Thomas, G. Hamilton, C. J. Dore, J. Bell, and N. Modi, “Altered adiposity after extremely preterm birth,” Pediatric Research, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 211–215, 2005.
- S. Chatterjee and A. Hadi, “Influencial observations, high leverage points, and outliers in linear regression,” Statistical Science, vol. 1, pp. 379–393, 1986.
- J. W. R. Twisk, H. C. G. Kemper, and G. J. Mellenbergh, “Mathematical and analytical aspects of tracking,” Epidemiologic Reviews, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 165–183, 1994.
- F. Armellini, M. Zamboni, L. Rigo et al., “The contribution of sonography to the measurement of intra-abdominal fat,” Journal of Clinical Ultrasound, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 563–567, 1990.
- A. M. I. Gradmark, A. Rydh, F. Renström et al., “Computed tomography-based validation of abdominal adiposity measurements from ultrasonography, dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry and anthropometry,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 104, no. 4, pp. 582–588, 2010.
- E. T. Liem, E. De Lucia Rolfe, C. L'Abee, P. J. J. Sauer, K. K. Ong, and R. P. Stolk, “Measuring abdominal adiposity in 6 to 7-year-old children,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 63, no. 7, pp. 835–841, 2009.
- J. G. Alves, E. Silva, R. Didier, M. Bandeiraa, and F. Bandeiraa, “Abdominal wall fat index in neonates: correlation with birth size,” Journal of Development Origins of Health and Disease, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 203–205, 2010.
- R. Suzuki, S. Watanabe, Y. Hirai et al., “Abdominal wall fat index, estimated by ultrasonography, for assessment of the ratio of visceral fat to subcutaneous fat in the abdomen,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 309–314, 1993.
- D. O. Mook-Kanamori, S. Holzhauer, L. M. Hollestein et al., “Abdominal fat in children measured by ultrasound and computed tomography,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 1938–1946, 2009.
- M. Y. Wong, N. E. Day, J. A. Luan, K. P. Chan, and N. J. Wareham, “The detection of gene-environment interaction for continuous traits: should we deal with measurement error by bigger studies or better measurement?” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 51–57, 2003.
- H. K. Neilson, P. J. Robson, C. M. Friedenreich, and I. Csizmadi, “Estimating activity energy expenditure: how valid are physical activity questionnaires?” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 279–291, 2008.
- H. Besson, S. Brage, R. W. Jakes, U. Ekelund, and N. J. Wareham, “Estimating physical activity energy expenditure, sedentary time, and physical activity intensity by self-report in adults,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 106–114, 2010.
- M. Haftenberger, T. Heuer, C. Heidemann, F. Kube, C. Krems, and G. B. M. Mensink, “Relative validation of a food frequency questionnaire for national health and nutrition monitoring,” Nutrition Journal, vol. 9, no. 1, article 36, 2010.
- Y. K. Tu, R. West, G. T. H. Ellison, and M. S. Gilthorpe, “Why evidence for the fetal origins of adult disease might be a statistical artifact: the “reversal paradox” for the relation between birth weight and blood pressure in later life,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 161, no. 1, pp. 27–32, 2005.
- A. Lucas, M. S. Fewtrell, and T. J. Cole, “Fetal origins of adult disease—he hypothesis revisited,” British Medical Journal, vol. 319, no. 7204, pp. 245–249, 1999.