- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 968754, 6 pages
Preliminary Blood Pressure Screening in a Representative Sample of Extremely Obese Kuwaiti Adolescents
1Department of Physiology, Arabian Gulf University (AGU), Road 2904, Building 293, 329 Manama, Bahrain
2CMMS, Arabian Gulf University (AGU), Road 2904, Building 293, 329 Manama, Bahrain
Received 21 July 2013; Revised 19 September 2013; Accepted 2 October 2013
Academic Editor: Yuichiro Yano
Copyright © 2013 Rima Abdul Razzak et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. E. Hall, “The kidney, hypertension, and obesity,” Hypertension, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 625–633, 2003.
- A. M. Sironi, A. Gastaldelli, A. Mari et al., “Visceral fat in hypertension: influence on insulin resistance and β-cell function,” Hypertension, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 127–133, 2004.
- J. A. N. Dorresteijn, F. L. J. Visseren, and W. Spiering, “Mechanisms linking obesity to hypertension,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 17–26, 2012.
- K. Rahmouni, M. L. G. Correia, W. G. Haynes, and A. L. Mark, “Obesity-associated hypertension: new insights into mechanisms,” Hypertension, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 9–14, 2005.
- J. M. Sorof, D. Lai, J. Turner, T. Poffenbarger, and R. J. Portman, “Overweight, ethnicity, and the prevalence of hypertension in school-aged children,” Pediatrics, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 475–482, 2004.
- G. B. Luma and R. T. Spiotta, “Hypertension in children and adolescents,” The American Family Physician, vol. 73, no. 9, pp. 1558–1568, 2006.
- W. Kiess, A. Galler, A. Reich et al., “Clinical aspects of obesity in childhood and adolescence,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 29–36, 2001.
- R. T. Jackson, M. Rashed, N. Al-Hamad, N. Hwalla, and M. Al-Somaie, “Comparison of BMI-for-age in adolescent girls in 3 countries of the Eastern Mediterranean Region,” Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 430–440, 2007.
- A. O. Musaiger, M. Al-Mannai, R. Tayyem et al., “Prevalence of overweight and obesity among adolescents in seven Arab countries: a cross-cultural study,” Journal of Obesity, vol. 2012, Article ID 981390, 5 pages, 2012.
- S. W. Ng, S. Zaghloul, H. I. Ali, G. Harrison, and B. M. Popkin, “The prevalence and trends of overweight, obesity and nutrition-related non-communicable diseases in the Arabian Gulf States,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 2011.
- M. M. Abdul-Rasoul, “Obesity in children and adolescents in Gulf countries: facts and solutions,” Advances En Diabetologia, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 64–69, 2012.
- F. Al-Jarky, N. Al-Awadhi, H. Al-Fadli, A. S. Tawfic, A. R. Al-Sebai, and M. Al Mousawi, “Prevalence of hypertension in young and middle aged Kuwaiti citizens in primary health care,” Kuwait Medical Journal, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 116–119, 2005.
- M. C. Bellizzi and W. H. Dietz, “Workshop on childhood obesity: summary of the discussion,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 70, no. 1, 1999.
- A. Pietrobelli, M. S. Faith, D. B. Allison, D. Gallagher, G. Chiumello, and S. B. Heymsfield, “Body mass index as a measure of adiposity among children and adolescents: a validation study,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 204–210, 1998.
- R. M. Malina and P. T. Katzmarzyk, “Validity of the body mass index as an indicator of the risk and presence of overweight in adolescents,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 131S–136S, 1999.
- T. J. Cole and T. Lobstein, “Extended International (IOTF) body mass index cut-offs for thinness, overweight and obesity,” Pediatric Obesity, vol. 7, pp. 284–294, 2012.
- R. Din-Dzietham, Y. Liu, M.-V. Bielo, and F. Shamsa, “High blood pressure trends in children and adolescents in national surveys, 1963 to 2002,” Circulation, vol. 116, no. 13, pp. 1488–1496, 2007.
- A. Himmelmann, A. Svensson, and L. Hansson, “Influence of sex on blood pressure and left ventricular mass in adolescents: the hypertension in pregnancy offspring study,” Journal of Human Hypertension, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 485–490, 1994.
- V. L. Burt, P. Whelton, E. J. Roccella et al., “Prevalence of hypertension in the US adult population: results from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988–1991,” Hypertension, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 305–313, 1995.
- K. L. McNiece, T. S. Poffenbarger, J. L. Turner, K. D. Franco, J. M. Sorof, and R. J. Portman, “Prevalence of hypertension and pre-hypertension among adolescents,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 150, no. 6, pp. 640–644, 2007.
- H. M. Perry Jr., J. P. Miller, J. D. Baty, S. E. Carmody, and M. P. Sambhi, “Pretreatment blood pressure as a predictor of 21-year mortality,” The American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 724–733, 2000.
- J. He and P. K. Whelton, “Elevated systolic blood pressure as a risk factor for cardiovascular and renal disease,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 17, supplement, no. 2, pp. S7–S13, 1999.
- X. Chen and Y. Wang, “Tracking of blood pressure from childhood to adulthood: a systematic review and meta-regression analysis,” Circulation, vol. 117, no. 25, pp. 3171–3180, 2008.
- National High Blood Pressure Education Program Working Group on High Blood Pressure in Children and Adolescents, “The fourth report on the diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure in children and adolescents,” Pediatrics, vol. 114, no. 2 supplement, pp. S555–S576, 2004.
- B. Falkner, S. S. Gidding, R. Portman, and B. Rosner, “Blood pressure variability and classification of prehypertension and hypertension in adolescence,” Pediatrics, vol. 122, no. 2, pp. 238–242, 2008.
- H. Doshi, A. B. Weder, R. L. Bard, and R. D. Brook, “Does “hidden undercuffing“ occur among obese patients? Effect of arm sizes and other predictors of the difference between wrist and upper arm blood pressures,” Journal of Clinical Hypertension, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 82–88, 2010.