- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 978482, 9 pages
An Adaptive CBPR Approach to Create Weight Management Materials for a School-Based Health Center Intervention
1Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001, USA
2College of Nursing, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001, USA
3Department of Media and Communications, The University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
4Department of Pediatrics, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001, USA
Received 11 January 2013; Revised 1 April 2013; Accepted 20 April 2013
Academic Editor: Reza Majdzadeh
Copyright © 2013 Andrew L. Sussman et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Cook, M. Weitzman, P. Auinger, M. Nguyen, and W. H. Dietz, “Prevalence of a metabolic syndrome phenotype in adolescents: findings from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988–1994,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 157, no. 8, pp. 821–827, 2003.
- G. E. Duncan, S. M. Li, and X. H. Zhou, “Prevalence and trends of a metabolic syndrome phenotype among U.S. adolescents, 1999-2000,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 2438–2443, 2004.
- E. S. Ford, W. H. Giles, and W. H. Dietz, “Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome among US adults: findings from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 287, no. 3, pp. 356–359, 2002.
- D. Dabelea, R. A. Bell, R. B. D'Agostino Jr. et al., “Incidence of diabetes in youth in the United States,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 297, no. 24, pp. 2716–2724, 2007.
- C. A. Biltoft and A. Muir, “The metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents: a clinician's guide,” Adolescent Medicine, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 109–120, 2009.
- E. Jelalian, J. Boergers, C. S. Alday, and R. Frank, “Survey of physician attitudes and practices related to pediatric obesity,” Clinical Pediatrics, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 235–245, 2003.
- A. L. Sussman, R. L. Williams, R. Leverence, P. W. Gloyd, and B. F. Crabtree, “The art and complexity of primary care clinicians' preventive counseling decisions: obesity as a case study,” Annals of Family Medicine, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 327–333, 2006.
- C. D. Summerbell, E. Waters, L. D. Edmunds, S. Kelly, T. Brown, and K. J. Campbell, “Interventions for preventing obesity in children,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 3, p. CD001871, 2005.
- Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, Accelerating Progress in Obesity Prevention: Solving the Weight of the Nation, Washington, DC, USA, 2012.
- D. L. Katz, “School-based interventions for health promotion and weight control: not just waiting on the world to change,” Annual Review of Public Health, vol. 30, pp. 253–272, 2009.
- M. Dobbins, K. De Corby, P. Robeson, H. Husson, and D. Tirilis, “School-based physical activity programs for promoting physical activity and fitness in children and adolescents aged 6–18,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 1, Article ID CD007651, 2009.
- C. Cook-Cottone, C. M. Casey, T. H. Feeley, and J. baran, “A meta-analytic review of obesity prevention in the schools: 1997–2008,” Psychology in the Schools, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 695–719, 2009.
- T. M. Anglin, K. E. Naylor, and D. W. Kaplan, “Comprehensive school-based health care: high school students' use of medical, mental health, and substance abuse services,” Pediatrics, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 318–330, 1996.
- N. Bearss, J. S. Santelli, and P. Papa, “A pilot program of contraceptive continuation in six school-based clinics,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 178–183, 1995.
- H. J. Walter, R. D. Vaughan, B. Armstrong, R. Y. Krakoff, L. Tiezzi, and J. F. McCarthy, “Characteristics of users and nonusers of health clinics in inner-city junior high schools,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 344–348, 1996.
- S. Soleimanpour, S. P. Geierstanger, S. Kaller, V. McCarter, and C. D. Brindis, “The role of school health centers in health care access and client outcomes,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 100, no. 9, pp. 1597–1603, 2010.
- M. A. Allison, L. A. Crane, B. L. Beaty, A. J. Davidson, P. Melinkovich, and A. Kempe, “School-based health centers: Improving access and quality of care for low-income adolescents,” Pediatrics, vol. 120, no. 4, pp. e887–e894, 2007.
- M. A. McNall, L. F. Llchty, and B. Mavis, “The impact of school-based health centers on the health outcomes of middle school and high school students,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 100, no. 9, pp. 1604–1610, 2010.
- W. R. Miller and G. S. Rose, “Toward a theory of motivational interviewing,” American Psychologist, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 527–537, 2009.
- S. E. Barlow, “Expert committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment, and treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: summary report,” Pediatrics, vol. 120, supplement 4, pp. S164–S192, 2007.
- J. Gittelsohn, M. Evans, D. Helitzer et al., “Formative research in a school-based obesity prevention program for Native American school children (Pathways),” Health Education Research, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 251–265, 1998.
- J. Gittelsohn, A. Steckler, C. C. Johnson et al., “Formative research in school and community-based health programs and studies: “State of the art” and the TAAG approach,” Health Education and Behavior, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 25–39, 2006.
- A. L. Sussman and S. M. Davis, “Integrating formative assessment and participatory research: building healthier communities in the CHILE project,” American Journal of Health Education, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 244–249, 2010.
- D. R. Young, C. C. Johnson, A. Steckler et al., “Data to action: using formative research to develop intervention programs to increase physical activity in adolescent girls,” Health Education and Behavior, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 97–111, 2006.
- M. Minkler and N. Wallerstein, Community-Based Participatory Research for Health: from Process to Outcomes, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, Calif, USA, 2nd edition, 2008.
- N. Wallerstein and B. Duran, “Community-based participatory research contributions to intervention research: The intersection of science and practice to improve health equity,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 100, supplement 1, pp. S40–S46, 2010.
- N. I. Teufel-Shone, T. Siyuja, H. J. Watahomigie, and S. Irwin, “Community-based participatory research: conducting a formative assessment of factors that influence youth wellness in the Hualapai community,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 96, no. 9, pp. 1623–1628, 2006.
- NVivo, QSR International, Victoria, Austrialia, 8th edition, 2008.
- K. B. Oetzel, A. A. Scott, and J. McGrath, “School-based health centers and obesity prevention: changing practice through quality improvement,” Pediatrics, vol. 123, supplement 5, pp. S267–S271, 2009.
- V. Sweat, J. M. Bruzzese, S. Albert, D. J. Pinero, A. Fierman, and A. Convit, “The Banishing Obesity and Diabetes in Youth (BODY) Project: description and feasibility of a program to halt obesity-associated disease among urban high school students,” Journal of Community Health, vol. 37, pp. 365–371, 2012.