- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 249315, 9 pages
Binge Eating Behavior and Weight Loss Maintenance over a 2-Year Period
1Division of Epidemiology & Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, 1300 S 2nd Street, Suite 300, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
2HealthPartners Institute for Education and Research, 8170 33rd Avenue South, Bloomington, MN 55425, USA
Received 14 February 2014; Revised 12 April 2014; Accepted 15 April 2014; Published 8 May 2014
Academic Editor: Riccardo Dalle Grave
Copyright © 2014 Carly R. Pacanowski et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. L. Ogden and M. D. Carroll, “Prevalence of overweight, obesity, and extreme obesity among adults: United States, trends 1960–1962 through 2007-2008,” National Center for Health Statistics, vol. 6, pp. 1–6, 2010.
- J. M. Nicklas, K. W. Huskey, R. B. Davis, and C. C. Wee, “Successful weight loss among obese U.S. adults,” The American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 481–485, 2012.
- M. K. Serdula, A. H. Mokdad, D. F. Williamson, D. A. Galuska, J. M. Mendlein, and G. W. Heath, “Prevalence of attempting weight loss and strategies for controlling weight,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 282, no. 14, pp. 1353–1358, 1999.
- J. L. Kraschnewski, J. Boan, J. Esposito et al., “Long-term weight loss maintenance in the United States,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 1644–1654, 2010.
- R. R. Wing and J. O. Hill, “Successful weight loss maintenance,” Annual Review of Nutrition, vol. 21, pp. 323–341, 2001.
- G. Oster, D. Thompson, J. Edelsberg, A. P. Bird, and G. A. Colditz, “Lifetime health and economic benefits of weight loss among obese persons,” The American Journal of Public Health, vol. 89, no. 10, pp. 1536–1542, 1999.
- N. E. Sherwood, R. W. Jeffery, and R. R. Wing, “Binge status as a predictor of weight loss treatment outcome,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 485–493, 1999.
- J. A. Linde, R. W. Jeffery, R. L. Levy et al., “Binge eating disorder, weight control self-efficacy, and depression in overweight men and women,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 418–425, 2004.
- M. D. Marcus, R. R. Wing, and J. Hopkins, “Obese binge eaters: affect, cognitions, and response to behavioral weight control,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 433–439, 1988.
- M. De Zwaan, D. O. Nutzinger, and G. Schoenbeck, “Binge eating in overweight women,” Comprehensive Psychiatry, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 256–261, 1992.
- S. Z. Yanovski, J. F. Gormally, M. S. Leser, H. E. Gwirtsman, and J. A. Yanovski, “Binge eating disorder affects outcome of comprehensive very-low-calorie diet treatment,” Obesity Research, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 205–212, 1994.
- M. L. Klem, R. R. Wing, M. T. McGuire, H. M. Seagle, and J. O. Hill, “Psychological symptoms in individuals successful at long-term maintenance of weight loss,” Health Psychology, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 336–345, 1998.
- W. S. Agras, C. F. Telch, B. Arnow, K. Eldredge, and M. Marnell, “One-year follow-up of cognitive-behavioral therapy for obese individuals with binge eating disorder,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 343–347, 1997.
- S. A. French, R. W. Jeffery, N. E. Sherwood, and D. Neumark-Sztainer, “Prevalence and correlates of binge eating in a nonclinical sample of women enrolled in a weight gain prevention program,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 576–585, 1999.
- A. Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, American Psychiatric Publishing, Arlington, Va, USA, 5th edition, 2013.
- A. E. Dingemans, M. J. Bruna, and E. F. Van Furth, “Binge eating disorder: a review,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 299–307, 2002.
- J. M. Mond, P. J. Hay, B. Rodgers, C. Owen, and P. J. V. Beumont, “Temporal stability of the eating disorder examination questionnaire,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 195–203, 2004.
- R. C. Hawkins II and P. F. Clement, “Development and construct validation of a self-report measure of binge eating tendencies,” Addictive Behaviors, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 219–226, 1980.
- T. F. Heatherton and R. F. Baumeister, “Binge eating as escape from self-awareness,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 86–108, 1991.
- M. D. Marcus, R. R. Wing, L. Ewing, E. Kern, W. Gooding, and M. McDermott, “Psychiatric disorders among obese binge eaters,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 69–77, 1990.
- C. F. Telch and E. Stice, “Psychiatric comorbidity in women with binge eating disorder: prevalence rates from a non-treatment-seeking sample,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 768–776, 1998.
- R. H. Kuehnel and T. A. Wadden, “Binge eating disorder, weight cycling, and psychopathology,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 321–329, 1994.
- C. Dong, L. E. Sanchez, and R. A. Price, “Relationship of obesity to depression: a family-based study,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 790–795, 2004.
- F. S. Luppino, L. M. De Wit, P. F. Bouvy et al., “Overweight, obesity, and depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal studies,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 220–229, 2010.
- K. C. Berg, C. B. Peterson, R. D. Crosby et al., “Relationship between daily affect and overeating-only, loss of control eating-only, and binge eating episodes in obese adults,” Psychiatry Research, vol. 215, no. 1, pp. 185–191, 2014.
- N. E. Sherwood, A. L. Crain, B. C. Martinson et al., “Keep it off: a phone-based intervention for long-term weight-loss maintenance,” Contemporary Clinical Trials, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 551–560, 2011.
- N. E. Sherwood, A. L. Crain, B. C. Martinson et al., “Enhancing long-term weight loss maintenance: 2year results from the Keep It Off randomized controlled trial,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 171–177, 2013.
- E. Stice, C. F. Telch, and S. L. Rizvi, “Development and validation of the eating disorder diagnostic scale. A brief self-report measure of anorexia, bulimia, and binge-eating disorder,” Psychological Assessment, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 123–131, 2000.
- E. Stice, M. Fisher, and E. Martinez, “Eating disorder diagnostic scale: additional evidence of reliability and validity,” Psychological Assessment, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 60–71, 2004.
- J. S. Carpenter, M. A. Andrykowski, J. Wilson et al., “Psychometrics for two short forms of the center for epidemiologic studies-depression scale,” Issues in Mental Health Nursing, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 481–494, 1998.
- N. G. Choi and J.-H. Ha, “Relationship between spouse/partner support and depressive symptoms in older adults: gender difference,” Aging and Mental Health, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 307–317, 2011.
- SAS Institute Inc, Base SAS® 9. 3 Procedures Guide, SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA, 2011.
- IBM Corp, IBM SPSS for WindowsVersion 20. 0, IBM Corp, Armonk, NY, USA.
- A. Birgegard, D. Clinton, and C. Norring, “Diagnostic issues of binge eating in eating disorders,” European Eating Disorders Review, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 175–183, 2013.
- W. S. Agras, C. F. Telch, B. Arnow et al., “Weight loss, cognitive-behavioral, and desipramine treatments in binge eating disorder. An additive design,” Behavior Therapy, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 225–238, 1994.
- C. M. Grilo, R. M. Masheb, G. T. Wilson, R. Gueorguieva, and M. A. White, “Cognitive-behavioral therapy, behavioral weight loss, and sequential treatment for obese patients with binge-eating disorder: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 675–685, 2011.
- C. M. Grilo and R. M. Masheb, “A randomized controlled comparison of guided self-help cognitive behavioral therapy and behavioral weight loss for binge eating disorder,” Behaviour Research and Therapy, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 1509–1525, 2005.
- K. A. Brownley, N. D. Berkman, J. A. Sedway, K. N. Lohr, and C. M. Bulik, “Binge eating disorder treatment: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 337–348, 2007.
- D. E. Wilfley, R. Robinson Welch, R. I. Stein et al., “A randomized comparison of group cognitive-behavioral therapy and group interpersonal psychotherapy for the treatment of overweight individuals with binge-eating disorder,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 59, no. 8, pp. 713–721, 2002.
- G. T. Wilson, D. E. Wilfley, W. S. Agras, and S. W. Bryson, “Psychological treatments of binge eating disorder,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 94–101, 2010.