- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 328276, 7 pages
Perception of Childhood Obesity and Support for Prevention Policies among Latinos and Whites
1Center for Global Health and Development, College of Public Health, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198-4341, USA
2Department of Health Promotion and Social and Behavioral Health, College of Public Health, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 984365 Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198-4365, USA
3University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198-4355, USA
4Institute for Health Promotion Research, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Received 1 April 2014; Accepted 2 June 2014; Published 19 June 2014
Academic Editor: Mark A. Pereira
Copyright © 2014 Douglas M. Puricelli Perin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. L. Ogden, M. D. Carroll, B. K. Kit, and K. M. Flegal, “Prevalence of obesity and trends in body mass index among US children and adolescents, 1999–2010,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 307, no. 5, pp. 483–490, 2012.
- A. L. May, D. Freedman, B. Sherry, and H. M. Blanck, “Obesity—United States, 1999–2010,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. Surveillance Summaries, vol. 62, supplement 3, pp. 120–128, 2013.
- L. Pan, A. L. May, H. Wethington, K. Dalenius, and L. M. Grummer-Strawn, “Incidence of obesity among young U.S. children living in low-income families, 2008–2011,” Pediatrics, vol. 132, no. 6, pp. 1006–1013, 2013.
- L. Frerichs, D. M. P. Perin, and T. T. K. Huang, “Current trends in childhood obesity research,” Current Nutrition Reports, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 1–11, 2012.
- A. Quinlan, D. Lieberman, and G. Ferguson, “American voters support investment in preventing childhood obesity,” Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research and American Viewpoint, 2010, http://gqrr.com/articles/2472/5744_TFAH%20Memo.pdf.
- W. D. Evans, E. A. Finkelstein, D. B. Kamerow, and J. M. Renaud, “Public perceptions of childhood obesity,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 26–32, 2005.
- W. D. Evans, J. M. Renaud, E. Finkelstein, D. B. Kamerow, and D. S. Brown, “Changing perceptions of the childhood obesity epidemic,” American Journal of Health Behavior, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 167–176, 2006.
- US Census Bureau, United States Census Bureau, 2013, http://www.census.gov/.
- C. M. de Castro, Latino Voters and the 2010 Election: Numbers, Parties and Issues, National Council of La Raza, 2010, http://www.nclr.org/index.php/publications/latino_voters_in_the_2010_election_numbers_parties_and_issues/.
- J. Passel and D. Cohn, Immigration to Play Lead Role in Future US Growth: US Population Projections: 2005–2050, Pew Research Center, 2008, http://pewresearch.org/pubs/729/united-states-population-projections.
- P. Branscum and M. Sharma, “A systematic analysis of childhood obesity prevention interventions targeting Hispanic children: lessons learned from the previous decade,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 12, no. 501, pp. e151–e158, 2011.
- A. G. Ramirez, P. Chalela, K. J. Gallion, L. W. Green, and J. Ottoson, “Salud America! developing a national Latino childhood obesity research agenda,” Health Education and Behavior, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 251–260, 2011.
- Public Policy Institute of California, Statewide Survey: Health, Obesity and Weight, PPIC, 2011, http://126.96.36.199/quicktables/quicksetoptions.do;jsessionid=5E80568563193ECC2F0448C64E2BC28B?reportKey=Survey80XML%3A4.
- The California Endowment, http://www.calendow.org/healthycommunities/.
- University of Michigan, National Poll on Chilren’s Health, CS Mott Children’s Hospital, 2012, http://mottnpch.org/reports-surveys/top-10-child-health-concerns-exercise-obesity-smoking-lead-list.
- Pew Research Center, A Closer Look at the Parties in 2012, Pew Research Center, 2012, http://www.people-press.org/2012/08/23/a-closer-look-at-the-parties-in-2012/.