- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 414987, 7 pages
Outcomes and Utilization of a Low Intensity Workplace Weight Loss Program
1Alere Wellbeing, 999 Third Avenue, Suite 2100, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
2University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Received 5 August 2013; Accepted 12 December 2013; Published 2 January 2014
Academic Editor: Renato Pasquali
Copyright © 2014 Kelly M. Carpenter et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. L. Ogden, M. M. Lamb, M. D. Carroll, and K. M. Flegal, “Prevalence of Obesity in the United States, 2009-2010,” NCHS Data Brief, vol. 82, pp. 1–8, 2012.
- E. A. Finkelstein, J. G. Trogdon, J. W. Cohen, and W. Dietz, “Annual medical spending attributable to obesity: payer-and service-specific estimates,” Health Affairs, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. w822–w831, 2009.
- E. A. Finkelstein, M. D. DiBonaventura, S. M. Burgess, and B. C. Hale, “The costs of obesity in the workplace,” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 971–976, 2010.
- J. Levi, L. M. Segal, R. St Laurent, A. Lang, and J. Rayburn, “F as in fat: how obesity threatens America’s future 2012,” 2012, http://healthyamericans.org/report/100/.
- K. R. Fontaine, I. Barofsky, and L. J. Cheskin, “Predictors of quality of life for obese persons,” Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, vol. 185, no. 2, pp. 120–122, 1997.
- R. M. Puhl and C. A. Heuer, “The stigma of obesity: a review and update,” Obesity, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 941–964, 2009.
- D. J. Goldstein, “Beneficial health effects of modest weight loss,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 397–415, 1992.
- G. Blackburn, “Effect of degree of weight loss on health benefits,” Obesity Research, vol. 3, pp. 211–216, 1995.
- W. C. Knowler, E. Barrett-Connor, S. E. Fowler et al., “Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 346, no. 6, pp. 393–403, 2002.
- G. Li, P. Zhang, J. Wang et al., “The long-term effect of lifestyle interventions to prevent diabetes in the China Da Qing Diabetes Prevention Study: a 20-year follow-up study,” The Lancet, vol. 371, no. 9626, pp. 1783–1789, 2008.
- J. Lindström, P. Ilanne-Parikka, M. Peltonen et al., “Sustained reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes by lifestyle intervention: follow-up of the Finnish Diabetes Prevention Study,” Lancet, vol. 368, no. 9548, pp. 1673–1679, 2006.
- W. J. Rejeski, E. H. Ip, A. G. Bertoni et al., “Lifestyle change and mobility in obese adults with type 2 diabetes,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 366, no. 13, pp. 1209–1217, 2012.
- K. E. Thorpe and Z. Yang, “Enrolling people with prediabetes ages 60–64 in a proven weight loss program could save medicare $7 billion or more,” Health Affairs, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 1673–1679, 2011.
- R. T. Ackermann, E. A. Finch, E. Brizendine, H. Zhou, and D. G. Marrero, “Translating the diabetes prevention program into the community: the DEPLOY pilot Study,” The American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 357–363, 2008.
- L. J. Appel, J. M. Clark, H.-C. Yeh et al., “Comparative effectiveness of weight-loss interventions in clinical practice,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 365, no. 21, pp. 1959–1968, 2011.
- N. Graves, A. G. Barnett, K. A. Halton et al., “Cost-effectiveness of a telephone-delivered intervention for physical activity and diet,” PLoS ONE, vol. 4, no. 9, Article ID e7135, 2009.
- E. G. Eakin, S. P. Lawler, C. Vandelanotte, and N. Owen, “Telephone interventions for physical activity and dietary behavior change: a systematic review,” The American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 419–434, 2007.
- B. J. O'Hara, P. Phongsavan, K. Venugopal, and A. E. Bauman, “Characteristics of participants in Australia's Get Healthy telephone-based lifestyle information and coaching service: reaching disadvantaged communities and those most at need,” Health Education Research, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 1097–1106, 2011.
- J. Gokee LaRose, T. M. Leahey, B. M. Weinberg, R. Kumar, and R. R. Wing, “Young adults' performance in a low intensity weight loss campaign,” Obesity, vol. 20, pp. 2314–2316, 2012.
- S. Kodama, K. Saito, S. Tanaka et al., “Effect of web-based lifestyle modification on weight control: a meta-analysis,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 675–685, 2011.
- M. Neve, P. J. Morgan, P. R. Jones, and C. E. Collins, “Effectiveness of web-based interventions in achieving weight loss and weight loss maintenance in overweight and obese adults: a systematic review with meta-analysis,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 306–321, 2010.
- L. M. Anderson, T. A. Quinn, K. Glanz et al., “The Effectiveness of worksite nutrition and physical activity interventions for controlling employee overweight and obesity: a systematic review,” The American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 340–357, 2009.
- T. C. Salinardi, P. Batra, S. B. Roberts, et al., “Lifestyle intervention reduces body weight and improves cardiometabolic risk factors in worksites,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 667–676, 2013.
- “Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults: the evidence report. National Institutes of Health,” Obesity Research, vol. 6, supplement 2, pp. 51–209, 1998.
- L. J. Appel, T. J. Moore, E. Obarzanek, et al., “A clinical trial of the effects of dietary patterns on blood pressure. DASH Collaborative Research Group,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 336, no. 16, pp. 1117–1124, 1997.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, “Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans,” 2008, http://www.health.gov/PAGuidelines/pdf/paguide.pdf.
- S. M. Shick, R. R. Wing, M. L. Klem, M. T. McGuire, J. O. Hill, and H. Seagle, “Persons successful at long-term weight loss and maintenance continue to consume a low-energy, low-fat diet,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 408–413, 1998.
- L. P. Svetkey, V. J. Stevens, P. J. Brantley et al., “Comparison of strategies for sustaining weight loss: the weight loss maintenance randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 299, no. 10, pp. 1139–1148, 2008.
- H. A. Raynor, E. L. van Walleghen, J. L. Bachman, S. M. Looney, S. Phelan, and R. R. Wing, “Dietary energy density and successful weight loss maintenance,” Eating Behaviors, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 119–125, 2011.
- M. L. Butryn, S. Phelan, J. O. Hill, and R. R. Wing, “Consistent self-monitoring of weight: a key component of successful weight loss maintenance,” Obesity, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 3091–3096, 2007.
- K. O. Hwang, J. Ning, A. W. Trickey, and C. N. Sciamanna, “Website usage and weight loss in a free commercial online weight loss program: retrospective cohort study,” Journal of International Medical Research, vol. 15, no. 15, article e11, 2013.
- J. J. Van Wormer, S. A. French, M. A. Pereira, and E. M. Welsh, “The impact of regular self-weighing on weight management: a systematic literature review,” International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol. 5, article 54, 2008.
- R. R. Wing, “Physical activity in the treatment of the adulthood overweight and obesity: current evidence and research issues,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. S547–S552, 1999.
- M. Snel, A. Gastaldelli, D. M. Ouwens, et al., “Effects of adding exercise to a 16-week very low-calorie diet in obese, insulin-dependent type 2 diabetes mellitus patients,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 97, no. 7, pp. 2512–2520, 2012.
- C. E. Adams, F. L. Greenway, and P. J. Brantley, “Lifestyle factors and ghrelin: critical review and implications for weight loss maintenance,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 12, no. 501, pp. e211–e218, 2011.
- M. Bose, B. Oliván, and B. Laferrère, “Stress and obesity: the role of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in metabolic disease,” Current Opinion in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Obesity, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 340–346, 2009.
- N. A. Schwarz, B. R. Rigby, B. P. La, B. Shelmadine, and R. G. Bowden, “A review of weight control strategies and their effects on the regulation of hormonal balance,” Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 2011, Article ID 237932, 15 pages, 2011.
- C. G. Greeno and R. R. Wing, “Stress-induced eating,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 115, no. 3, pp. 444–464, 1994.
- M. F. Dallman, “Stress-induced obesity and the emotional nervous system,” Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 159–165, 2010.
- P. A. Tataranni, D. E. Larson, S. Snitker, J. B. Young, J. P. Flatt, and E. Ravussin, “Effects of glucocorticoids on energy metabolism and food intake in humans,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 271, no. 2, pp. E317–E325, 1996.
- L. M. Groesz, S. McCoy, J. Carl et al., “What is eating you? Stress and the drive to eat,” Appetite, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 717–721, 2012.
- E. Leigh Gibson, “Emotional influences on food choice: sensory, physiological and psychological pathways,” Physiology and Behavior, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 53–61, 2006.
- O. E. Ovbiosa-Akinbosoye and D. A. Long, “Factors associated with long-term weight loss and weight maintenance: analysis of a comprehensive workplace wellness program,” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 1236–1242, 2011.
- M. Law, N. Wald, and J. Morris, “Lowering blood pressure to prevent myocardial infarction and stroke: a new preventive strategy,” Health Technology Assessment, vol. 7, no. 31, pp. 1–94, 2003.
- R. S. Gill, S. Karmali, G. Hadi, D. P. Al-Adra, X. Shi, and D. W. Birch, “Predictors of attrition in a multidisciplinary adult weight management clinic,” Canadian Journal of Surgery, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 239–243, 2012.
- K. Baicker, D. Cutler, and Z. Song, “Workplace wellness programs can generate savings,” Health Affairs, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 304–311, 2010.
- G. S. Carls, R. Z. Goetzel, R. M. Henke, J. Bruno, F. Isaac, and J. McHugh, “The impact of weight gain or loss on health care costs for employees at the Johnson & Johnson family of companies,” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 8–16, 2011.
- T. S. Church, D. M. Thomas, C. Tudor-Locke et al., “Trends over 5 decades in U.S. occupation-related physical activity and their associations with obesity,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 5, Article ID e19657, 2011.