- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 638203, 7 pages
Comparison of the Effectiveness of Four Bariatric Surgery Procedures in Obese Patients with Type 2 Diabetes: A Retrospective Study
1Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolic Diseases, University Hospital of Rouen, 76031 Rouen, France
2Department of Digestive Surgery, University Hospital of Rouen, 76031 Rouen, France
3Department of Biostatistics, University Hospital of Rouen, Institut de Recherche et d’Innovation Biomédicale, Normandie University, 76031 Rouen, France
4INSERM U982 Neuronal and Neuroendocrine Differentiation and Communication, Institut de Recherche et d’Innovation Biomédicale, Normandie University, University of Rouen, 76821 Mont Saint Aignan, France
Received 25 November 2013; Accepted 23 April 2014; Published 22 May 2014
Academic Editor: Francesco Saverio Papadia
Copyright © 2014 Sylvie Pham et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. D. Adams, R. E. Gress, S. C. Smith et al., “Long-term mortality after gastric bypass surgery,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 8, pp. 753–761, 2007.
- L. Sjöström, K. Narbro, C. D. Sjöström, K. Karason, B. Larsson, and H. Wedel, “Effects of bariatric surgery on mortality in Swedish obese subjects,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, pp. 741–752, 2007.
- Haute Autorité de Santé, “Obésité: prise en charge chirurgicale de l'adulte,” in Recommandations de Bonnes Pratiques, Janvier, 2009.
- J. B. Dixon, P. Zimmet, K. G. Alberti, and F. Rubino, “Bariatric surgery: an IDF statement for obese type2 diabetes,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 628–642, 2011.
- L. Sjöström, A. K. Lindroos, M. Peltonen, et al., “Lifestyle, diabetes, and cardiovascular risk factors 10 years after bariatric surgery,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, pp. 2683–2693, 2004.
- D. Benaiges, A. Goday, J. M. Ramon, et al., “Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and laparoscopic gastric bypass are equally effective for reduction of cardiovascular risk in severely obese patients at one year of follow-up,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 575–580, 2011.
- M. Shah, V. Simha, and A. Garg, “Review: long-term impact of bariatric surgery on body weight, comorbidities, and nutritional status,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 91, no. 11, pp. 4223–4231, 2006.
- W. J. Pories, M. S. Swanson, K. G. MacDonald et al., “Who would have thought it? An operation proves to be the most effective therapy for adult-onset diabetes mellitus,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 222, no. 3, pp. 339–352, 1995.
- J. B. Dixon, P. E. O'Brien, J. Playfair et al., “Adjustable gastric banding and conventional therapy for type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 299, no. 3, pp. 316–323, 2008.
- R. S. Gill, D. W. Birch, X. Shi, A. M. Sharma, and S. Karmali, “Sleeve gastrectomy and type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 707–713, 2010.
- H. Buchwald, R. Estok, K. Fahrbach et al., “Weight and type 2 diabetes after bariatric surgery: systematic review and meta-analysis,” The American Journal of Medicine, vol. 122, no. 3, pp. 248–256, 2009.
- K. G. MacDonald Jr., S. D. Long, M. S. Swanson, et al., “The gastric bypass operation reduces the progression and mortality of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 1, pp. 213–220, 1997.
- B. E. Kadera, K. Lum, J. Grant, A. D. Pryor, D. D. Portenier, and E. J. DeMaria, “Remission of type 2 diabetes after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass is associated with greater weight loss,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 305–309, 2009.
- K. L. Kiong, R. Ganesh, A. K. S. Cheng, R. Lekshiminarayanan, and S. C. Lim, “Early improvement in type 2 diabetes mellitus post Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in Asian patients,” Singapore Medical Journal, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 937–943, 2010.
- L. Garrido-Sanchez, M. Murri, J. Rivas-Becerra et al., “Bypass of the duodenum improves insulin resistance much more rapidly than sleeve gastrectomy,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 145–150, 2012.
- F. Rubino and M. Gagner, “Potential of surgery for curing type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 236, no. 5, pp. 554–559, 2002.
- P. R. Schauer, S. Ikramuddin, W. Gourash, R. Ramanathan, and J. Luketich, “Outcomes after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for morbid obesity,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 232, no. 4, pp. 515–529, 2000.
- B. Laferrère, S. Heshka, K. Wang et al., “Incretin levels and effect are markedly enhanced 1 month after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery in obese patients with type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 1709–1716, 2007.
- D. E. Cummings, D. S. Weigle, R. S. Frayo et al., “Plasma ghrelin levels after diet-induced weight loss or gastric bypass surgery,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 346, no. 21, pp. 1623–1630, 2002.
- J. P. Thaler and D. E. Cummings, “Minireview: hormonal and metabolic mechanisms of diabetes remission after gastrointestinal surgery,” Endocrinology, vol. 150, no. 6, pp. 2518–2525, 2009.
- J. Korner, W. Inabnet, G. Febres et al., “Prospective study of gut hormone and metabolic changes after adjustable gastric banding and Roux-en-Y gastric bypass,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 786–795, 2009.
- C. W. Le Roux, M. Patterson, R. P. Vincent, C. Hunt, M. A. Ghatei, and S. R. Bloom, “Postprandial plasma ghrelin is suppressed proportional to meal calorie content in normal-weight but not obese subjects,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 1068–1071, 2005.
- N. Basso, D. Capoccia, M. Rizzello et al., “First-phase insulin secretion, insulin sensitivity, ghrelin, GLP-1, and PYY changes 72 h after sleeve gastrectomy in obese diabetic patients: the gastric hypothesis,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 3540–3550, 2011.
- C. M. Borg, C. W. Le Roux, M. A. Ghatei, S. R. Bloom, A. G. Patel, and S. J. B. Aylwin, “Progressive rise in gut hormone levels after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass suggests gut adaptation and explains altered satiety,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 210–215, 2006.
- L. M. Umeda, E. A. Silva, G. Carneiro, C. H. Arasaki, B. Geloneze, and M. T. Zanella, “Early improvement in glycemic control after bariatric surgery and its relationships with insulin, GLP-1, and glucagon secretion in type 2 diabetic patients,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 896–901, 2011.
- D. E. Cummings, J. Overduin, K. E. Foster-Schubert, and M. J. Carlson, “Role of the bypassed proximal intestine in the anti-diabetic effects of bariatric surgery,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 109–115, 2007.
- S. N. Karamanakos, K. Vagenas, F. Kalfarentzos, and T. K. Alexandrides, “Weight loss, appetite suppression, and changes in fasting and postprandial ghrelin and peptide-YY levels after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy: a prospective, double blind study,” Annals of surgery, vol. 247, no. 3, pp. 401–407, 2008.
- J. Korner, M. Bessler, L. J. Cirilo et al., “Effects of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery on fasting and postprandial concentrations of plasma ghrelin, peptide YY, and insulin,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 359–365, 2005.
- D. J. Drucker, “The role of gut hormones in glucose homeostasis,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 24–32, 2007.
- J. L. Chan, E. C. Mun, V. Stoyneva, C. S. Mantzoros, and A. B. Goldfine, “Peptide YY levels are elevated after gastric bypass surgery,” Obesity, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 194–198, 2006.
- F. Rubino, A. Forgione, D. E. Cummings et al., “The mechanism of diabetes control after gastrointestinal bypass surgery reveals a role of the proximal small intestine in the pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 244, no. 5, pp. 741–749, 2006.
- M. Bose, B. Oliván, J. Teixeira, F. X. Pi-Sunyer, and B. Laferrère, “Do incretins play a role in the remission of type 2 diabetes after gastric bypass surgery: what are the evidence?” Obesity Surgery, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 217–229, 2009.
- J. V. Li, H. Ashrafian, M. Bueter et al., “Metabolic surgery profoundly influences gut microbial—host metabolic cross-talk,” Gut, vol. 60, no. 9, pp. 1214–1223, 2011.
- A. E. Pontiroli, F. Folli, M. Paganelli et al., “Laparoscopic gastric banding prevents type 2 diabetes and arterial hypertension and induces their remission in morbid obesity: a 4-year case-controlled study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 2703–2709, 2005.
- H. J. Sugerman, L. G. Wolfe, D. A. Sica et al., “Diabetes and hypertension in severe obesity and effects of gastric bypass-induced weight loss,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 237, no. 6, pp. 751–758, 2003.
- J. Vidal, A. Ibarzabal, F. Romero et al., “Type 2 diabetes mellitus and the metabolic syndrome following sleeve gastrectomy in severely obese subjects,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1077–1082, 2008.
- F. Abbatini, M. Rizzello, G. Casella et al., “Long-term effects of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass, and adjustable gastric banding on type 2 diabetes,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1005–1010, 2010.
- E. K. Chouillard, A. Karaa, M. Elkhoury, and V. J. Greco, “Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass versus laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for morbid obesity: case-control study,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 500–505, 2011.
- J. B. Dixon and P. E. O'Brien, “Health outcomes of severely obese type 2 diabetic subjects 1 year after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding,” Diabetes Care, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 358–363, 2002.
- G. M. Campos, C. Rabl, G. R. Roll et al., “Better weight loss, resolution of diabetes, and quality of life for laparoscopic gastric bypass versus banding results of a 2-cohort pair-matched study,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 146, no. 2, pp. 149–155, 2011.
- R. Morínigo, V. Moizé, M. Musri, A. M. Lacy, S. Navarro, and J. Marín, “Glucagon-like peptide-1, peptide YY, hunger, and satiety after gastric bypass surgery in morbidly obese subjects,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 91, pp. 1735–1740, 2006.
- A. Jiménez, R. Casamitjana, L. Flores, J. Viaplana, R. Corcelles, and A. Lacy, “Long-term effects of sleeve gastrectomy and Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery on type 2 diabetes mellitus in morbidly obese subjects,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 256, pp. 1023–1029, 2012.
- P. R. Schauer, B. Burguera, S. Ikramuddin et al., “Effect of laparoscopic Roux-En Y gastric bypass on type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 238, no. 4, pp. 467–485, 2003.
- P. R. Schauer, S. R. Kashyap, K. Wolski et al., “Bariatric surgery versus intensive medical therapy in obese patients with diabetes,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 366, no. 17, pp. 1567–1576, 2012.
- A. M. Carbonell, L. G. Wolfe, J. G. Meador, H. J. Sugerman, J. M. Kellum, and J. W. Maher, “Does diabetes affect weight loss after gastric bypass?” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 441–444, 2008.
- W. K. Karcz, D. Krawczykowski, S. Kuesters et al., “Influence of sleeve gastrectomy on NASH and type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Journal of Obesity, vol. 2011, Article ID 765473, 7 pages, 2011.
- W. J. Lee, K. Chong, K. H. Ser et al., “Gastric bypass vs sleeve gastrectomy for type 2 diabetes mellitus: a randomized controlled trial,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 146, no. 2, pp. 143–148, 2011.
- P. Topart, G. Becouarn, and P. Ritz, “Comparative early outcomes of three laparoscopic bariatric procedures: sleeve gastrectomy, Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, and biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 8, pp. 250–254, 2012.