- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 480467, 8 pages
The Effect of High-Intensity Intermittent Exercise on Body Composition of Overweight Young Males
1School of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
2St Vincent’s Hospital, Darlinghurst, NSW 2010, Sydney, Australia
Received 4 January 2012; Revised 9 March 2012; Accepted 6 April 2012
Academic Editor: Giorgios P. Nassis
Copyright © 2012 M. Heydari et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. W. Speiser, M. C. J. Rudolf, H. Anhalt, C. Comacho-Hubner, F. Chiarelli, A. Elakim, et al., “Childhood obesity,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 90, pp. 1871–1887, 2005.
- J. M. Jakicic, K. Clark, E. Coleman et al., “Appropriate intervention strategies for weight loss and prevention of weight regain for adults,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 2145–2156, 2001.
- R. Ross, D. Dagnone, P. J. H. Jones et al., “Reduction in obesity and related comorbid conditions after diet-induced weight loss or exercise-induced weight loss in men,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 92–103, 2000.
- E. M. Evans, M. J. Saunders, M. A. Spano, A. Arngrimsson, R. D. Lewis, and K. J. Cureton, “Effects of diet and exercise on the density and composition of the fat- free mass in obese women,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 1778–1787, 1999.
- T. Wu, X. Gao, M. Chen, and R. M. Van Dam, “Long-term effectiveness of diet-plus-exercise interventions vs. diet-only interventions for weight loss: a meta-analysis,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 313–323, 2009.
- S. H. Boutcher and S. L. Dunn, “Factors that may impede the weight loss response to exercise-based interventions,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 671–680, 2009.
- S. H. Boutcher, “High-intensity intermittent exercise and fat loss,” Journal of Obesity, vol. 2011, Article ID 868305, 2011.
- E. G. Trapp, D. J. Chisholm, J. Freund, and S. H. Boutcher, “The effects of high-intensity intermittent exercise training on fat loss and fasting insulin levels of young women,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 684–691, 2008.
- P. Stiegler and A. Cunliffe, “The role of diet and exercise for the maintenance of fat-free mass and resting metabolic rate during weight loss,” Sports Medicine, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 239–262, 2006.
- P. Boudou, E. Sobngwi, F. Mauvais-Jarvis, P. Vexiau, and J.-F. Gautier, “Absence of exercise-induced variations in adiponectin levels despite decreased abdominal adiposity and improved insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetic men,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 149, no. 5, pp. 421–424, 2003.
- S. Thomas, J. Reading, and R. J. Shephard, “Revision of the physical activity readiness questionnaire (PAR-Q),” Canadian Journal of Sport Sciences, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 338–345, 1992.
- T. Lohman, M. Slaughter, R. Boileau, and L. Lussier, “Bone mineral measurements and their relation to body density in children, youth and adults,” Human Biology, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 667–679, 1984.
- G. A. Borg, “Psychophysical bases of perceived exertion,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 377–381, 1982.
- S. E. Stern, K. Williams, E. Ferrannini, R. A. DeFronzo, C. Bogardus, and M. P. Stern, “Identification of individuals with insulin resistance using routine clinical measurements,” Diabetes, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 333–339, 2005.
- Expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults, “Executive summary of the third report of the national cholesterol education program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (adult treatment panel III),” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 285, no. 19, pp. 2486–2497, 2001.
- J. L. Talanian, S. D. R. Galloway, G. J. F. Heigenhauser, A. Bonen, and L. L. Spriet, “Two weeks of high-intensity aerobic interval training increases the capacity for fat oxidation during exercise in women,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 102, no. 4, pp. 1439–1447, 2007.
- M. Weston, W. Helsen, C. MacMahon, and D. Kirkendall, “The impact of specific high-intensity training sessions on football referees' fitness levels,” The American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 54S–61S, 2004.
- E. Gorostiaga, C. Walter, C. Foster, and R. Hickson, “Uniqueness of interval and continuous training at the same maintained exercise intensity,” European Journal of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 101–107, 1991.
- S. N. Blair, “Physical inactivity: the biggest public health problem of the 21st century,” British Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 1–2, 2009.
- A. Mourier, J.-F. Gautier, E. D. Kerviler et al., “Mobilization of visceral adipose tissue related to the improvement in insulin sensitivity in response to physical training in NIDDM: effects of branched-chain amino acid supplements,” Diabetes Care, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 385–391, 1997.
- K. Ohkawara, S. Tanaka, M. Miyachi, K. Ishikawa-Takata, and I. Tabata, “A dose-response relation between aerobic exercise and visceral fat reduction: systematic review of clinical trials,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 1786–1797, 2007.
- J. L. Kuk, P. T. Katzmarzyk, M. Z. Nichaman, T. S. Church, S. N. Blair, and R. Ross, “Visceral fat is an independent predictor of all-cause mortality in men,” Obesity, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 336–341, 2006.
- Y. Okauchi, H. Nishizawa, T. Funahashi et al., “Reduction of visceral fat is associated with decrease in the number of metabolic risk factors in Japanese men,” Diabetes Care, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 2392–2394, 2007.
- J. E. Donnelly, J. O. Hill, D. J. Jacobsen et al., “Effects of a 16-month randomized controlled exercise trial on body weight and composition in young, overweight men and women: the midwest exercise trial,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 163, no. 11, pp. 1343–1350, 2003.
- W. Saris, “The role of exercise in the dietary treatment of obesity,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. S17–S21, 1993.
- K. A. Burgomaster, S. C. Hughes, G. J. F. Heigenhauser, S. N. Bradwell, and M. J. Gibala, “Six sessions of sprint interval training increases muscle oxidative potential and cycle endurance capacity in humans,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 1985–1990, 2005.
- E. G. Trapp, D. J. Chisholm, and S. H. Boutcher, “Metabolic response of trained and untrained women during high-intensity intermittent cycle exercise,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 293, no. 6, pp. R2370–R2375, 2007.
- H. Zouhal, C. Jacob, P. Delamarche, and A. Gratas-Delamarche, “Catecholamines and the effects of exercise, training and gender,” Sports Medicine, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 401–423, 2008.
- B. Issekutz, “Role of beta-adrenergic receptors in mobilization of energy sources in exercising dogs,” Journal of Applied Physiology Respiratory Environmental and Exercise Physiology, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 869–876, 1978.
- M. Rebuffé-Scrive, B. Andersson, L. Olbe, and P. Björntorp, “Metabolism of adipose tissue in intraabdominal depots of nonobese men and women,” Metabolism, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 453–458, 1989.
- J. Bilski, A. Teległów, J. Zahradnik-Bilska, A. Dembiński, and Z. Warzecha, “Effects of exercise on appetite and food intake regulation,” Medicina Sportiva, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 82–94, 2009.