- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 608751, 8 pages
Diabetic Cataract—Pathogenesis, Epidemiology and Treatment
Department of Ophthalmology and Optometry, Medical University Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18-20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Received 11 December 2009; Accepted 2 April 2010
Academic Editor: Mark Petrash
Copyright © 2010 Andreas Pollreisz and Ursula Schmidt-Erfurth. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [54 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Zehra Hashim, and Shamshad Zarina, “Advanced glycation end products in diabetic and non-diabetic human subjects suffering from cataract,” Age, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 377–384, 2011.
- Yun Mi Lee, Jin Sook Kim, Young Sook Kim, and Nan Hee Kim, “Preventive Effect of Chlorogenic Acid on Lens Opacity and Cytotoxicity in Human Lens Epithelial Cells,” Biological & Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 925–928, 2011.
- Milan Stefek, “Natural flavonoids as potential multifunctional agents in prevention of diabetic cataract.,” Interdisciplinary toxicology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 69–77, 2011.
- Young Sook Kim, Nan Hee Kim, Nam Hee Yoo, Yun Mi Lee, Il-Ha Jeong, and Jin Sook Kim, “Quercitrin gallate inhibits aldose reductase activity and xylose-induced lens opacity and oxidation,” Biomedicine & Aging Pathology, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 123–127, 2011.
- Line D. Rasmussen, Line Kessel, Laleh D. Molander, Court Pedersen, Jan Gerstoft, Gitte Kronborg, and Niels Obel, “Risk of Cataract Surgery in HIV-Infected Individuals: A Danish Nationwide Population-Based Cohort Study,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 1156–1163, 2011.
- Som Prasad, and Shivani Kasbekar, “Combined Phacoemulsification and Pars Plana Vitrectomy,” Techniques in Ophthalmology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 85–91, 2011.
- Anne Vejux, Mohammad Samadi, and Gérard Lizard, “Contribution of Cholesterol and Oxysterols in the Physiopathology of Cataract: Implication for the Development of Pharmacological Treatments,” Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 2011, pp. 1–6, 2011.
- Paul E. Milbury, “Flavonoid Intake and Eye Health,” Journal of Nutrition in Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 254–268, 2012.
- Eydis Olafsdottir, Dan K. G. Andersson, and Einar Stefansson, “The prevalence of cataract in a population with and without type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Acta Ophthalmologica, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 334–340, 2012.
- Mohammad Shahidullah, Amritlal Mandal, and Nicholas A. Delamere, “TRPV4 in porcine lens epithelium regulates hemichannel-mediated ATP release and Na-K-ATPase activity,” American Journal Of Physiology-Cell Physiology, vol. 302, no. 12, pp. C1751–C1761, 2012.
- Michael J. Goldacre, Clare J. Wotton, and Tiarnan D. L. Keenan, “Risk of selected eye diseases in people admitted to hospital for hypertension or diabetes mellitus: record linkage studies,” British Journal Of Ophthalmology, vol. 96, no. 6, pp. 872–876, 2012.
- Kate L. Moreau, and Jonathan A. King, “Protein misfolding and aggregation in cataract disease and prospects for prevention,” Trends In Molecular Medicine, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 273–282, 2012.
- Yu-Wen Hsu, Shang-Min Yeh, Ya-Yu Chen, Yi-Chen Chen, Shiun-Long Lin, and Jung-Kai Tseng, “Protective effects of taurine against alloxan-induced diabetic cataracts and refraction changes in New Zealand White rabbits,” Experimental Eye Research, vol. 103, pp. 71–77, 2012.
- Raj Rajeshwari R Patil, Pratibha S Worlikar, Amol B Chaudhari, Ozhukil K Radhakrishnan, Rajendra P Gupta, and Saurabh Puri, “Effect of rifampicin and erythromycin on the initiation of galactose induced cataract in rats.,” Journal of pharmacology & pharmacotherapeutics, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 330–2, 2012.
- Xiaoyong Wei, Dan Chen, Yanchun Yi, Hui Qi, Xinxin Gao, Hua Fang, Qiong Gu, Ling Wang, and Lianquan Gu, “Syringic Acid Extracted from Herba dendrobii Prevents Diabetic Cataract Pathogenesis by Inhibiting Aldose Reductase Activity,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, pp. 1–13, 2012.
- Yiming Li, Van H. Tran, Colin C. Duke, and Basil D. Roufogalis, “Preventive and Protective Properties of Zingiber officinale (Ginger) in Diabetes Mellitus, Diabetic Complications, and Associated Lipid and Other Metabolic Disorders: A Brief Review,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, pp. 1–10, 2012.
- Qian Lu, Tingting Yang, Mingzhu Zhang, Lei Du, Ling Liu, Nan Zhang, Hao Guo, Fan Zhang, Gang Hu, and Xiaoxing Yin, “ Preventative Effects of Ginkgo biloba Extract (EGb761) on High Glucose-Cultured Opacity of Rat Lens ,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 767–773, 2013.
- Jennifer Threatt, Jennifer F. Williamson, Kyle Huynh, and Richard M. Davis, “Ocular Disease, Knowledge and Technology Applications in Patients With Diabetes,” American Journal of The Medical Sciences, vol. 345, no. 4, pp. 266–270, 2013.
- Linfeng Li, Kun-Che Chang, Yaming Zhou, Biehuoy Shieh, Jessica Ponder, Adedoyin D. Abraham, Hadi Ali, Anson Snow, J. Mark Petrash, and Daniel V. LaBarbera, “ Design of an Amide N -Glycoside Derivative of β-Glucogallin: A Stable, Potent, and Specific Inhibitor of Aldose Reductase ,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, pp. 131223112402003, 2013.
- M. R. Manaviat, Nasim Oveisi, and A. Zare-Bidoki, “Accelerated Bilateral Cataract Formation as a First Manifestation of Diabetes Mellitus,” Prague Medical Report, vol. 114, no. 4, pp. 258–262, 2013.
- Haleh Ghaem Maralani, Bee Choo Tai, Tien Y. Wong, E. Shyong Tai, Jialiang Li, Jie Jin Wang, and Paul Mitchell, “Metabolic Syndrome and Risk of Age-Related Cataract over Time: An Analysis of Interval-Censored Data Using a Random-Effects Model,” Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 641–646, 2013.
- Tânia Melo, Eduarda M. P. Silva, Cláudia Simões, Pedro Domingues, and M. Rosário M. Domingues, “Photooxidation of glycated and non-glycated phosphatidylethanolamines monitored by mass spectrometry,” Journal of Mass Spectrometry, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 68–78, 2013.
- Tomoyuki Kawada, “Risk of Lens Opacity in Patients with Diabetes Mellitus,” Ophthalmology, vol. 120, no. 7, pp. E44–E45, 2013.
- Xiaojian Gong, Qiuyan Zhang, and Shuhua Tan, “Inhibitory Effect of r-Hirudin Variant III on Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Cataracts in Rats,” The Scientific World Journal, vol. 2013, pp. 1–8, 2013.
- Martina Tomić, Spomenka Ljubić, Snježana Kaštelan, Antonela Gverović Antunica, Anamarija Jazbec, and Tamara Poljičanin, “Inflammation, Haemostatic Disturbance, and Obesity: Possible Link to Pathogenesis of Diabetic Retinopathy in Type 2 Diabetes,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2013, pp. 1–10, 2013.
- Krishnaswamy Kannan, Ilangovan Raju, and Edathara C. Abraham, “FoxO3a Serves as a Biomarker of Oxidative Stress in Human Lens Epithelial Cells under Conditions of Hyperglycemia,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 6, 2013.
- Nagihan Ugurlu, Fatma Yulek, Sule Berk Ergun, Mehmet Dogan Asik, Semra Isikoglu, and Emine Akcay, “Investigation of oxidative and antioxidative status in patients with diabetic cataracts,” Turkish Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 678–683, 2013.
- Anupam Samanta, Premranjan Kumar, Sanghamitra Machhua, G. Nageswar Rao, and Arttatrana Pal, “Incidence of cystoid macular oedema in diabetic patients after phacoemulsification and free radical link to its pathogenesis,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 98, no. 9, pp. 1266–1272, 2014.
- Yue-Hua Wang, Yu-Pei Han, Hai-Tao Yu, Xiao-Ping Pu, and Guan-Hua Du, “Protocatechualdehyde prevents methylglyoxal-induced mitochondrial dysfunction and AGEs-RAGE axis activation in Human lens epithelial cells,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 738, pp. 374–383, 2014.
- Li Li, Xiu-Hua Wan, and Guo-Hong Zhao, “Meta-analysis of the risk of cataract in type 2 diabetes,” Bmc Ophthalmology, vol. 14, 2014.
- Yue-Hua Wang, Yu-Pei Han, Hai-Tao Yu, Xiao-Ping Pu, and Guan-Hua Du, “Protocatechualdehyde prevents methylglyoxal-induced mitochondrial dysfunction and AGEs-RAGE axis activation in Human lens epithelial cells,” European Journal of Pharmacology, 2014.
- Periyasamy Palsamy, Keshore R. Bidasee, Masahiko Ayaki, Robert C. Augusteyn, Jefferson Y. Chan, and Toshimichi Shinohara, “Methylglyoxal induces endoplasmic reticulum stress and DNA demethylation in the Keap1 promoter of human lens epithelial cells and age-related cataracts,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 2014.
- Ying Wang, Andrea O. Y. Luk, Maggie C. Y. Ng, Calvin C. P. Pang, Vincent Lam, Shao C. Lee, Dennis S. C. Lam, Kwong Wai Choy, Ronald C. W. Ma, Wing-Yee So, and Juliana C. N. Chan, “Additive effect of aldose reductase Z-4 microsatellite polymorphism and glycaemic control on cataract development in type 2 diabetes,” Journal of Diabetes and Its Complications, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 147–151, 2014.
- Daniel Petrovic, “Aldose reductase, glucose and cataracts,” Journal of Diabetes and Its Complications, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 120–121, 2014.
- Jochen Graw, “Genetic models for cataracts,” Drug Discovery Today: Disease Models, 2014.
- Lei Sun, De-Jing Shi, Xiang-Chun Gao, Shu-Yong Mi, Ying Yu, and Qing Han, “The Protective Effect of Vanadium Against Diabetic Cataracts in Diabetic Rat Model,” Biological Trace Element Research, 2014.
- Anson Snow, Biehuoy Shieh, Kun-Che Chang, Arttatrana Pal, Patricia Lenhart, David Ammar, Philip Ruzycki, Suryanarayana Palla, G. Bhanuprakesh Reddy, and J. Mark Petrash, “Aldose reductase expression as a risk factor for cataract,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, 2014.
- Nour Maya N. Haddad, Jennifer K. Sun, Samer Abujaber, Deborah K. Schlossman, and Paolo S. Silva, “Cataract Surgery and its Complications in Diabetic Patients,” Seminars in Ophthalmology, vol. 29, no. 5-6, pp. 329–337, 2014.
- Sanja Mitrović, Tomislav Kelava, Alan Šućur, and Danka Grčević, “Levels of Selected Aqueous Humor Mediators (IL-10, IL-17, CCL2, VEGF, FasL) in Diabetic Cataract,” Ocular Immunology and Inflammation, pp. 1–8, 2014.
- Beatriz E. Torres-Bernal, Luis Fernando Torres-Bernal, Rafael R. Gutiérrez-Campos, David D. Kershenobich Stalnikowitz, Luis Fernando Barba-Gallardo, Arturo A. Chayet, and Javier Ventura-Juárez, “Unfolded protein response activation in cataracts,” Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery, vol. 40, no. 10, pp. 1697–1705, 2014.
- Paphaphat Thiraphatthanavong, Jintanaporn Wattanathorn, Supaporn Muchimapura, Wipawee Thukham-mee, Panakaporn Wannanon, Terdthai Tong-un, Bhalang Suriharn, and Kamol Lertrat, “Preventive Effect of Zea mays L. (Purple Waxy Corn) on Experimental Diabetic Cataract,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2014, pp. 1–8, 2014.
- Paphaphat Thiraphatthanavong, Jintanaporn Wattanathorn, Supaporn Muchimapura, Wipawee Thukham-mee, Kamol Lertrat, and Bhalang Suriharn, “The Combined Extract of Purple Waxy Corn and Ginger Prevents Cataractogenesis and Retinopathy in Streptozotocin-Diabetic Rats,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2014, pp. 1–11, 2014.
- Varun Parkash Singh, Anjana Bali, Nirmal Singh, and Amteshwar Singh Jaggi, “Advanced Glycation End Products and Diabetic Complications,” The Korean Journal of Physiology & Pharmacology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1, 2014.
- Rebekka Heitmar, and Andrew Attardo, “The influence of simulated cataract on retinal vessel oximetry measurements,” Acta Ophthalmologica, 2015.
- Baptiste Coudrillier, Jacek Pijanka, Joan Jefferys, Thomas Sorensen, Harry A. Quigley, Craig Boote, and Thao D. Nguyen, “Effects of Age and Diabetes on Scleral Stiffness,” Journal Of Biomechanical Engineering-Transactions Of The Asme, vol. 137, no. 7, 2015.
- Hua Fang, Xiaohong Hu, Meiling Wang, Wencheng Wan, Qiaohong Yang, Xiaosheng Sun, Qiong Gu, Xinxin Gao, Zhengtao Wang, Lianquan Gu, C.-Y. Oliver Chen, and Xiaoyong Wei, “Anti-osmotic and antioxidant activities of gigantol from Dendrobium aurantiacum var. denneanum against cataractogenesis in galactosemic rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 2015.
- Azadeh Manayi, Mohammad Abdollahi, Thiagarajan Raman, Seyed Fazel Nabavi, Solomon Habtemariam, Maria Daglia, and Seyed Mohammad Nabavi, “Lutein and cataract: from bench to bedside,” Critical Reviews in Biotechnology, pp. 1–11, 2015.
- Amr A. Fouad, and Fahad Alwadani, “Ameliorative effects of thymoquinone against eye lens changes in streptozotocin diabetic rats,” Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 960–965, 2015.
- Yangshun Gu, Baisheng Xu, Chunfei Feng, Yang Ni, Nan Hong, Jianyong Wang, and Bo Jiang, “Topical Use of NaCl Solution with Different Concentration Affects Lens Transparency in Anesthetized Mice,” Current Eye Research, pp. 1–8, 2015.
- Jie Wu, Chuanjun Lu, Xue Li, Hua Fang, Wencheng Wan, Qiaohong Yang, Xiaosheng Sun, Meiling Wang, Xiaohong Hu, C. -Y. Oliver Chen, and Xiaoyong Wei, “Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of Novel Gigantol Derivatives as Potential Agents in Prevention of Diabetic Cataract,” Plos One, vol. 10, no. 10, 2015.
- Gauresh Somani, and Sadhana Sathaye, “Bioactive fraction of Saraca indica prevents diabetes induced cataractogenesis: An aldose reductase inhibitory activity,” Pharmacognosy Magazine, vol. 11, no. 41, pp. 102–110, 2015.
- Manqiong Yuan, Yaofeng Han, Ya Fang, and Cheng-I Chu, “Childbearing May Increase the Risk of Nondiabetic Cataract in Chinese Women’s Old Age,” Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 2015, pp. 1–8, 2015.
- Naz Jehangir, S. M. Jafar Mahmood, Tova Mannis, and Majid Moshirfar, “Ocular dominance, coexistent retinal disease, and refractive errors in patients with cataract surgery,” Current Opinion In Ophthalmology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 38–44, 2016.
- Thiagarajan Raman, Manikandan Ramar, Munusamy Arumugam, Seyed Mohammad Navabi, and Mosur Kumaraswamy Nagarajan Sai Varsha, “Cytoprotective mechanism of action of curcumin against cataract,” Pharmacological Reports, 2016.