- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 615641, 7 pages
Pathophysiological Characteristics of Diabetic Ocular Complications in Spontaneously Diabetic Torii Rat
Biological/Pharmacological Research Laboratories, Central Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Japan Tobacco Inc., 1-1 Murasaki-cho, Takatsuki, Osaka 569-1125, Japan
Received 29 November 2009; Accepted 26 March 2010
Academic Editor: Mark Petrash
Copyright © 2010 Tomohiko Sasase. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. R. Mansford and L. Opie, “Comparison of metabolic abnormalities in diabetes mellitus induced by streptozotocin or by alloxan,” Lancet, vol. 1, no. 7544, pp. 670–671, 1968.
- S. Makino, K. Kunimoto, Y. Muraoka, Y. Mizushima, K. Katagiri, and Y. Tochino, “Breeding of a non-obese, diabetic strain of mice,” Jikken Dobutsu, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 1980 (Japanese).
- A. F. Nakhooda, A. A. Like, C. I. Chappel, F. T. Murray, and E. B. Marliss,, “The spontaneously diabetic Wistar rat. Metabolic and morphologic studies,” Diabetes, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 100–112, 1977.
- D. L. Coleman and K. P. Hummel, “The influence of genetic background on the expression of the obese (Ob) gene in the mouse,” Diabetologia, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 287–293, 1973.
- D. L. Coleman and K. P. Hummel, “Hyperinsulinemia in pre weaning diabetes (db) mice,” Diabetologia, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 607–610, 1974.
- Y. Goto, K. Suzuki, T. Ono, M. Sasaki, and T. Toyota, “Development of diabetes in the non-obese NIDDM rat (GK rat),” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 246, pp. 29–31, 1988.
- J. B. Clark, C. J. Palmer, and W. N. Shaw, “The diabetic Zucker fatty rat,” Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 173, no. 1, pp. 68–75, 1983.
- K. Kawano, T. Hirashima, S. Mori, Y. Saitoh, M. Kurosumi, and T. Natori, “Spontaneous long-term hyperglycemic rat with diabetic complications. Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima Fatty (OLETF) strain,” Diabetes, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 1422–1428, 1992.
- W. G. Robison Jr., M. Nagata, N. Laver, T. C. Hohman, and J. H. Kinoshita, “Diabetic-like retinopathy in rats prevented with an aldose reductase inhibitor,” Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 2285–2292, 1989.
- N. Miyamura, I. A. Bhutto, and T. Amemiya, “Retinal capillary changes in Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima fatty rats (spontaneously diabetic strain). Electron-microscopic study,” Ophthalmic Research, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 358–366, 1999.
- K. Miyamoto, N. Hiroshiba, A. Tsujikawa, and Y. Ogura, “In vivo demonstration of increased leukocyte entrapment in retinal microcirculation of diabetic rats,” Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 2190–2194, 1998.
- H. Sakai, Y. Tani, E. Shirasawa, Y. Shirao, and K. Kawasaki, “Development of electroretinographic alterations in streptozotocin-induced diabetes in rats,” Ophthalmic Research, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 57–63, 1995.
- M. Shinohara, T. Masuyama, T. Shoda, et al., “A new spontaneously diabetic non-obese torii rat strain with severe ocular complications,” International Journal of Experimental Diabetes Research, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 89–100, 2000.
- M. Shinohara, T. Masuyama, and A. Kakehashi, “The Spontaneously Diabetic Torii (SDT) rat with retinopathy lesions resembling those of humans,” in Animal Models of Diabetes: Frontiers in Research, E. Shafrir, Ed., pp. 311–321, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2nd edition, 2007.
- H. Yamada, E. Yamada, A. Higuchi, and M. Matsumura, “Retinal neovascularisation without ischaemia in the spontaneously diabetic Torii rat,” Diabetologia, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 1663–1668, 2005.
- A. Kakehashi, Y. Saito, K. Mori, et al., “Characteristics of diabetic retinopathy in SDT rats,” Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 455–461, 2006.
- T. Sasase, N. Ohta, K. Ogawa, et al., “Preventive effects of glycaemic control on ocular complications of Spontaneously Diabetic Torii rat,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 501–507, 2006.
- T. Shoda, M. Shinohara, T. Takahashi, K. Miyajima, A. Kakehashi, and Y. Miyakawa, “Histopathological features of diabetic ocular complications in the Spontaneously Diabetic Torii (SDT) rat,” Journal of Toxicologic Pathology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 179–183, 2007.
- T. Sasase, T. Ohta, and N. Ogawa, “Diabetic complications of Spontaneously Diabetic Torii rat,” Diabetes, vol. 54, supplement 1, p. A221, 2005.
- T. Sasase, H. Morinaga, T. Abe, et al., “Protein kinase C beta inhibitor prevents diabetic peripheral neuropathy, but not histopathological abnormalities of retina in Spontaneously Diabetic Torii rat,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 1084–1087, 2009.
- T. Ohta, K. Matsui, K. Miyajima, et al., “Effect of insulin therapy on renal changes in spontaneously diabetic Torii rats,” Experimental Animals, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 355–362, 2007.
- T. Masuyama, K. Komeda, A. Hara, et al., “Chronological characterization of diabetes development in male Spontaneously Diabetic Torii rats,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 314, no. 3, pp. 870–877, 2004.
- T. Sasase, H. Morinaga, H. Yamamoto, et al., “Increased fat absorption and impaired fat clearance cause postprandial hypertriglyceridemia in Spontaneously Diabetic Torii rat,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 8–15, 2007.
- T. Masuyama, M. Fuse, N. Yokoi, et al., “Genetic analysis for diabetes in a new rat model of nonobese type 2 diabetes, Spontaneously Diabetic Torii rat,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 304, no. 1, pp. 196–206, 2003.
- K. Matsui, T. Oda, E. Nishizawa, et al., “Pancreatic function of spontaneously diabetic torii rats in pre-diabetic stage,” Experimental Animals, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 363–374, 2009.
- M. Fuse, N. Yokoi, M. Shinohara, et al., “Identification of a major locus for islet inflammation and fibrosis in the spontaneously diabetic Torii rat,” Physiological Genomics, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 96–105, 2008.
- G. Miao, T. Ito, F. Uchikoshi, et al., “Stage-dependent effect of pancreatic transplantation on diabetic ocular complications in the Spontaneously Diabetic Torii rat,” Transplantation, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 658–663, 2004.
- A. Kakehashi and M. Kanazawa, “SDT rat: a new diabetic retinopathy animal model,” Endocrinology & Diabetology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 386–390, 2001 (Japanese).
- D. Yonemura, T. Aoki, and K. Tsuzuki, “Electroretinogram in diabetic retinopathy,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 68, pp. 19–24, 1962.
- P. Algvere, “Clinical studies on the oscillatory potentials of the human electroretinogram with special reference to the scotopic b-wave,” Acta Ophthalmologica, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 993–1024, 1968.
- N. Hotta, N. Koh, F. Sakakibara, et al., “Effects of beraprost sodium and insulin on the electroretinogram, nerve conduction, and nerve blood flow in rats with streptozotocin-induced diabetes,” Diabetes, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 361–366, 1996.
- N. Hotta, N. Koh, F. Sakakibara, et al., “Effects of propionyl-L-carnitine and insulin on the electroretinogram, nerve conduction and nerve blood flow in rats with streptozotocin-induced diabetes,” Pflügers Archiv European Journal of Physiology, vol. 431, no. 4, pp. 564–570, 1996.
- T. Okuno, H. Oku, T. Sugiyama, and T. Ikeda, “Electroretinographic study of spontaneously diabetic Torii rats,” Documenta Ophthalmologica, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 191–196, 2008.
- T. Sugiyama, T. Okuno, M. Fukuhara, et al., “Angiotensin II receptor blocker inhibits abnormal accumulation of advanced glycation end products and retinal damage in a rat model of type 2 diabetes,” Experimental Eye Research, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 406–412, 2007.
- N. Ferrara, K. A. Houck, L. B. Jakeman, J. Winer, and D. W. Leung, “The vascular endothelial growth factor family of polypeptides,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 211–218, 1991.
- M. Klagsbrun and P. A. D'Amore, “Vascular endothelial growth factor and its receptors,” Cytokine & Growth Factor Reviews, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 259–270, 1996.
- A. P. Adamis, J. W. Miller, M.-T. Bernal, et al., “Increased vascular endothelial growth factor levels in the vitreous of eyes with proliferative diabetic retinopathy,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 118, no. 4, pp. 445–450, 1994.
- L. P. Aiello, R. L. Avery, P. G. Arrigg, et al., “Vascular endothelial growth factor in ocular fluid of patients with diabetic retinopathy and other retinal disorders,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 331, no. 22, pp. 1480–1487, 1994.
- H. Funatsu, H. Yamashita, H. Noma, T. Mimura, T. Yamashita, and S. Hori, “Increased levels of vascular endothelial growth factor and interleukin-6 in the aqueous humor of diabetics with macular edema,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 133, no. 1, pp. 70–77, 2002.
- M. Matsuoka, N. Ogata, K. Minamino, A. Higuchi, and M. Matsumura, “High levels of pigment epithelium-derived factor in the retina of a rat model of type 2 diabetes,” Experimental Eye Research, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 172–178, 2006.
- M. Fukumoto, S. Takai, E. Ishizaki, et al., “Involvement of angiotensin II-dependent vascular endothelial growth factor gene expression via NADPH oxidase in the retina in a type 2 diabetic rat model,” Current Eye Research, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 885–891, 2008.
- J. Ideno, H. Mizukami, A. Kakehashi, et al., “Prevention of diabetic retinopathy by intraocular soluble flt-1 gene transfer in a spontaneously diabetic rat model,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 75–79, 2007.
- D. W. Dawson, O. V. Volpert, P. Gillis, et al., “Pigment epithelium-derived factor: a potent inhibitor of angiogenesis,” Science, vol. 285, no. 5425, pp. 245–248, 1999.
- M. Matsuoka, N. Ogata, K. Minamino, and M. Matsumura, “Leukostatis and pigment epithelium-derived factor in rat models of diabetic retinopathy,” Molecular Vision, vol. 13, pp. 1058–1065, 2007.
- J. Spranger, M. Osterhoff, M. Reimann, et al., “Loss of the antiangiogenic pigment epithelium-derived factor in patients with angiogenic eye disease,” Diabetes, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 2641–2645, 2001.
- W. G. Robinson Jr., J. L. McCaleb, L. G. Feld, O. E. Michaelis IV, N. Laver, and M. Mercandetti, “Degenerated intramural pericytes (‘ghost cells’) in the retinal capillaries of diabetic rats,” Current Eye Research, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 339–350, 1991.
- R. N. Frank, “Diabetic retinopathy,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, no. 1, pp. 48–58, 2004.
- A. Kanamori, M. Nakamura, H. Mukuno, H. Maeda, and A. Negi, “Diabetes has an additive effect on neural apoptosis in rat retina with chronically elevated intraocular pressure,” Current Eye Research, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 47–54, 2004.
- S. X. Zhang, J. Sima, C. Shao, et al., “Plasminogen kringle 5 reduces vascular leakage in the retina in rat models of oxygen-induced retinopathy and diabetes,” Diabetologia, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 124–131, 2004.
- A. Jariyapongskul, T. Rungjaroen, N. Kasetsuwan, S. Pathumraj, and H. Niimi, “Chronic changes of the iris microvasculature of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats using fluorescence videomicroscopy,” Clinical Hemorheology and Microcirculation, vol. 34, no. 1-2, pp. 283–293, 2006.
- T. Masuyama, Y. Katsuda, and M. Shinohara, “A novel model of obesity-related diabetes: introgression of the Leprfa allele of the Zucker fatty rat into nonobese Spontaneously Diabetic Torii (SDT) rats,” Experimental Animals, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 13–20, 2005.
- K. Matsui, T. Ohta, T. Oda, et al., “Diabetes-associated complications in Spontaneously Diabetic Torii fatty rats,” Experimental Animals, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 111–121, 2008.